HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko
That's all fine, but you realize that the ends are where the exit stairs are right? Cladding them in glass (fire rated glass no less) would quadruple the costs of those two stair towers. The ends are fairly slender (how wide is this tower...50'?). Does anybody know what the building is supposed to be clad in? Stucco? EIFS (more likely)? GFRC? Stone (wishing, but I know better)?

Anybody else notice that all the spandrel panels between floors (on the east and west) and between rooms (north and south) are colored? The renderings show maroon and gold... Interesting... The renderings also show horizontal projections on the south facade that will supposedly shade out some of the worst sun. Those will add some depth to the facade that's not readily apparent in the drawings. Unfortunately the shades won't really do all that much in that vertical solar shades are much more functional (oddly enough the worst conditions will be late summer afternoons on the NORTH side of the buidling).
plinko, even if glass is too expensive, my point was that you're looking at a lot of square feet of solid beige panels. There must be more interesting, yet cost-effective options to make it a more appealing design. I have noted in past posts that perhaps it will look better once built and that I'm hoping that my intial expression of disappotinment will turn around once we get a gander at the finished product. I have reviewed the high-resolution rendering in detail several times and I can't say that I'm crazy about the alternating gold and maroon spandrel panels (though they look more burnt orange to me than maroon). If you look closely at the outer wall of the balcony at the lower left of the building, the alternating colored panels appear to be semi-transparent. They must be incorporating the color scheme in both glass and architectural panels. I do like the projections between floors that you note. It gives the appearance of shallow balconies and does break up the massive facade, adding shadows and texture. The major cladding material seems to be a mystery. It would be nice to know. I know you're an architect...can't they make GFRC that looks just like sandstone? I wonder if that's what was used on the convention center or if it is natural. I must say, the more I look at the hotel renderings, the less I'm hating it. I would be very interested to get your honest opinion of the overall design.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 10:45 PM

Does anyone have any update pics?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 9:37 PM

January 08, 2007

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 10:52 PM
The Lizard King

thanks for the updates!!!!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 10:54 PM
UrbanPHX

I could be wrong but It looks like this project has really slowed down. Thanks for the updates.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 12:32 AM

I don't think it has slowed down at all. 5 weeks ago they were at three floors and now they are at 6 floors, plus they have done a lot of work on the non-tower part of the building as you can see in the picture, plus work on the foundation of the other side which has previously been talked about has finally been done.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 1:15 AM
BANNED

so in 5 weeks they have done 3 floors... that seems slow to me for a project i paid 350 million for.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 1:17 AM

Well no...they have done 3 floors of the main tower

They have also done two floors of the conference center (or whatever it is) to the north of the main tower, plus all the underground floors in the same section...plus the foundation work on the south which was a dirt lot 5 weeks ago.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 2:29 AM
-_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Vandercook View Post
so in 5 weeks they have done 3 floors... that seems slow to me for a project i paid 350 million for.
let me just say, that was mighty generous of you

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 3:27 AM

Thanks very much for the updated pics HX_Guy! Nice to see all three towers currently under construction rising quickly. Six months from now, we should get a real good idea of the improved skyline!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 4:18 PM
-_-

My parents live near 7th and Cave Creak, against one of the mountain preserves. They have a great view of downtown, and when I was back for Christmas, I could see that Summit has already made a noticeable change in the skyline from the north. It will be even better when the Sheraton starts showing up above its neighbors.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 4:37 AM

I was looking around DFD CornoyerHedrick's website at their portfolio and ran across this...

I guess this was the other consideration for the Downtown Convention Center hotel, but it lost to the Sheraton design?

What were they thinking?!?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 4:57 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^Ug, thats depressing.

Though whats going on w/ the roof there? I can't really tell, there are some palm trees growing out of what looks to be a fountain. The rest I can't really tell what its supposed to be.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 5:00 AM

Probably a roof top pool with some sort of cabana structure or maybe a cafe?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Probably a roof top pool with some sort of cabana structure or maybe a cafe?
You think that whole football shaped blue area is a pool? That would be awesome, but seems like it would be a gigantic pool.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 5:11 AM

If that were a pool.....interesting. Interesting design.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 5:14 AM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
^ That would be awesome! That's a shame they did'nt go with that design, although at least a tower is rising and Phoenix will have one less surface lot right? But still that building ROCKS!!! Hey maybe someone else could consider that design and build it? Who knows?

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 5:16 AM

Features:

1,100 Key, 30 floor hotel tower

Roof top pool

30,000 s.f. Grand Ballroom

20,000 s.f. Junior Ballroom

Grand Atrium

70 seat auditorium

3-levels underground parking

If the whole roof top was a pool, and that what it looks like from the renderings...that would have been one amazing and talked about hotel, the type of thing you would see featured on The Discovery Channel and such like they feature the Cardinals Stadium.

Too bad they didn't go with this design, I wonder why not?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 5:22 AM

^its a tax payer funded hotel, so its being done on the cheap, I'm sure cost was the reason. I also think, that since it was taxpayer funded, they intentionally don't want it to look too extravagant, for fear of a backlash.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 5:39 AM
UrbanPHX

That building is ugly as sh!t imo. It looks like it belongs in Orlando as a Disney resort.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest