HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 1:26 PM
West bench livin'

Kudos to my old residence! When Sacto ditherred and himmed and hawwed for years trying to build a baseball stadium, West Sac took the dropped ball and hit a home run (sorry for the mixed metaphores so early on a Monday morning) with Raley Field. Now the river front is set for continued development on the West Sac side... Well, at least Sacto has the newly expanded river walk...

I hear some brush off West Sac's accomplishments as beginner's luck or flukes while declaiming Sacramento's superiority in development, planning, etc. Is West Sac's success a fluke? As many will no doubt flame, I'm not qualified to answer that. However, I'll let the evidence speak for itself. West Sac's "Can-do" attitude seems to be bearing more fruit than Sacto's "Can't-do" climate. Dare I say it: if West Sac wanted to, I'd have no doubt the new King's arena would be breaking ground by January.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 12:14 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1cC8dZZheI&feature=player_embedded#!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 4:58 PM

West Sac to get biggest solar plant
by Suzanne Hurt

The biggest solar power plant in the country will be built in West Sacramento, after a Spanish solar development company chose the city for its U.S. headquarters, the company confirmed.

West Sacramento and its port, where the plant will be located, beat Oakland to grab the new national headquarters of Otras Producciones de Energia Fotovoltaico. The company develops solar power plants and manufactures the tracking systems solar panels are mounted on.

The company's subsidiary, OPDE U.S. Corp., officially began operating on March 1 in a roughly 70,000-square-foot building at 1430 Enterprise Blvd. in West Sacramento. But OPDE isn't coming here alone. It's bringing along two more subsidiaries and two suppliers.

Over the weekend, OPDE began assembling dual-axis trackers that will each hold 56 solar panels for another company's Madera plant. At about 1,000 square feet, the trackers are each the size of a three-car garage.

OPDE's 20-megawatt AC power plant, boasting 26,880 solar panels on single-axis trackers, will be the largest in the United States. The first half is expected to go online this year, and the other half by June 2011, said Greg Brehm, director of distributed renewable energy resources for OPDE U.S. The power plant was initially reported as 24 megawatts.

"This will still be the largest," he said. "We're very happy to have opened here as one of the green and sustainable companies in our community."

The next-largest is a 14-megawatt plant at Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada. Another company has talked about building a 20-megawatt plant in Florida, but that doesn't appear to be going anywhere, Brehm said.

The company, which signed a lease for the building in October, is currently undergoing the process to get conditional use permits for the solar plant from the city and county, said Mike Luken, (economic development and port manager for West Sacramento.

OPDE searched Northern California enterprise zones from Oakland to Roseville to find a site for the headquarters of its fabrication facility, Luken said. The company had a small sales office in Oakland already.

Several factors helped with the choice to move to West Sacramento. One of the biggest was West Sacramento's "minimal" business tax, which will save the company at least several million dollars a year, Brehm said.

"It's a very skinny margin on these projects," he said. "You have to squeeze out every penny to make these projects make sense."

OPDE also found a 160-acre site that was available next to the port's deep-water channel. That site could host a photovoltaic plant in part because the Delta breeze coming up the channel will help cool solar panels by two to three degrees on the hottest days. Oakland, which also has a port, was the next biggest competitor.

A large open space on the site's west side will also help. The site is protected from flooding because it sits 30 to 40 feet above surrounding terrain.

"Panels lose productivity, so you want to have a fairly cool site," said Brehm, adding that panels lose half a degree of productivity for every degree the temperature gets over 70.

The city of West Sacramento helped them find the right building for a manufacturing headquarters nearby. The city also offered trading incentives. Imported components that will be used in renewable energy equipment won't be subject to taxes or duties, Brehm said.

"We've just presented to them a very business-friendly climate here in West Sacramento," Luken said.

About 12 people, including three from Spain and others from Oakland, are already working at the manufacturing facility. OPDE will hire 25 to 50 headquarters staff and 50 to 70 for assembly jobs. Another 250 or so will be hired to construct the solar plant and possibly others in this country.

The move by OPDE, its subsidiaries Meca solar and Proinso, and suppliers will create a center of operations for the North American market here, said Bob Burris, deputy director of the Sacramento Area Commerce and Trade Organization.

OPDE will now be the country's only manufacturer of this dual-axis tracking system, which tracks the sun across the sky, he said.

Two other European companies that already do business with OPDE also have national headquarters in the region. SMA Solar Technology of Germany, which makes inverters for solar modules, is in Rocklin. Optisolar, also from Germany, set up in Sacramento a year ago to make solar panel films.

OPDE's move is part of "an interesting network that's developing in the region," Burris said. "For all these companies to locate here, that says a lot about the reputation of our area in the solar industry."

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 2:24 AM

The Mayor of West Sac today posted to his Facebook account today that they're going to build a 16-18 story Mariott in the empty lot next to the Ziggaraut building and north of Tower Bridge. There's supposed to be a "destination restaurant" at the base, with 300+ rooms. Tonight they're having a public meeting with the architects, I hope to see some designs soon! Will be an awesome addition to the riverfront... Why can't Sac get it's act together???

http://www.cityofwestsacramento.org/...ne/default.asp

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 2:36 AM

I'm glad West Sac is capable of getting their stuff together. Just imagine how much money someone could make now if they bought some of those old crappy homes on Front Street or in that general area. The land values must be rocketing right now given all this talk of development and actual development.

Sacramento really needs to grow up. It's like a little kid.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 5:47 AM

Sac has alot of its act together, w. sac is just closing the distance.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 7:28 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
Sacramento really needs to grow up. It's like a little kid.
My God, we agree on something!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 1:18 PM
West bench livin'

I think it helps that West Sac is a fairly NIMBY-free community... there are a few West Sac Nimby's (my wife's uncle and a couple of members at my old church being some of them), but on the whole, most of the most vocal complainer seem to come from east of the River...

Hat's off to West Sac for getting it done Again!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Econgrad View Post
My God, we agree on something!
Yeah, well, this might be about it. City > suburb, and the only thing remotely likable about Folsom is the cross country course at Folsom High.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 8:06 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
Yeah, well, this might be about it. City > suburb, and the only thing remotely likable about Folsom is the cross country course at Folsom High.
Hey Man, you got me all wrong (as many people who think like you do). I never ever said Folsom was better than Sacramento, or vise-versa. This whole entire area is Sacramento Metro, from Davis to El Dorado Hills, from Elk Grove to the Airport. The Gridder Dorks that just live in the "grid" and there is nothing else beyond the grid but San Francisco, don't understand that people like me are just laughing and making fun of that type of narrow thinking. They, and now you, are translating that to a City VS. Suburb debate, which then turns into a Class Warfare debate, because new-urbanists have no real arguments once confronted with the facts. The truth is, there is no difference between the people of Folsom, and the people of Mid-Town. Its the same culture in all of Sac Metro. Same music, Same clothing, all the same. Open your eyes, and open your mind.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 1:50 AM

Oh, I'm well aware this is a Sac metro thing, from the desolate Grid to the shiny, brand new, rolling waves of cookie cutter Suburbia, and everything in between. However, to say there's the same culture in Midtown you'd find in Folsom is absolutely ridiculous, downright laughable even. How many of the people living in the lofts on L Street or 16th Street drive Suburban EXTs? Or, to reverse things, how many people in Folsom can and would walk from their house to the grocery store or supermarket and back?

Don't think I'm a "Gridder Dork," as you so eloquently put it. I know there's Folsom, Granite Bay, Elk Grove, Natomas, etc outside of Sacramento. Just because I'm aware of their existence doesn't mean I don't hate them all. I could write a book on why I hate the suburbs, from an aspiring architect's point of view, from a concerned Californian/American's point of view, from an environmentalist's point of view, but even more importantly, from a teenager's perspective.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 4:10 AM
Hindrance to Development

West Sacramento is largely in the same place that Sacramento was 100 years ago: a small, plucky, rapidly growing city of about 40,000 (Sacramento grew by about 50% between 1900 and 1910) that couldn't grow outward because it was surrounded by floodplains, so it had to go up. We also had something to prove to another city 10 times our size (San Francisco, whose 1910 population was about the same as ours is now) especially in the wake of a 1908 attempt to move the state capitol to Berkeley.

Our first wave of "skyscrapers", like the Fruit Building at 4th and J and the Bank of Italy Building at 8th and J (my avatar) were products of this era, superseded in the following decade by the Cal-Western Building (aka the Citizen) and the Elks Building. But something else happened: the state started funding massive levee improvements that allowed more suburban development, and we annexed nearby suburbs to expand the size of Sacramento. This was the first of many annexations, each of which was followed by another wave of suburban building.

100 years later, our lack of skyscrapers is largely because of our massive supply of "landscrapers" to the northeast. Because our developers made the most money building suburbs, they want to keep making money building even more suburbs. There isn't sufficient demand for high-rise condos downtown because it's still relatively easy and cheap to buy a house in the suburbs. There are plenty of people who want to live downtown just because they like it, enough to keep prices high, but not enough to sustain high-rise development.

Meanwhile, West Sacramento is still surrounded by floodplains and water, and they don't have a way to expand geographically. They are trying like heck to build a streetcar, which will allow far more dense development (density is based on the transportation system, not zoning!) instead of car-centric projects like Southport (which could still become a streetcar suburb if they used the old SN right-of-way that the city owns.)

Because they are a smaller city, with fewer large, entrenched vested interests, and because they are not the core city of the region (and thus subject to the inertia not just of the city but its suburban region) they can respond more nimbly to changing situations. It's a bit like comparing a destroyer to an aircraft carrier--an aircraft carrier is much bigger and can do aircraft carrier things, but a destroyer is much nimbler and faster simply because it is smaller.

I'm pretty sure it has very little to do with "attitude." I get very sick of all that Norman Vincent Peale/The Secret "positive thinking" new-age gobbledigook that teaches folks that things like facts and practical solutions and reality don't matter, you can reach your goals as long as you have a POSITIVE ATTITUDE. Conversely, when things go bad, you can never call it a failure or a problem, it's always a "challenge" or an "opportunity," and misfortune is blamed on NEGATIVE ATTITUDE. ATTITUDE feel-good nonsense replaces actual investigation of the facts, or finding ways to resolve problems (starting with admitting they are problems) or, as a result of admission and investigation, SOLVING those problems. So I don't blame Sacramento's failed projects on attitude, good or bad--I blame them on problems that many folks (like the folks making money on the problems) would rather have us ignore. West Sacramento, with less of that baggage, seems more able to address their problems and overcome them. But keep in mind that they have an overachieving big brother of their own--namely, us.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post

Meanwhile, West Sacramento is still surrounded by floodplains and water, and they don't have a way to expand geographically.
They still have tons of industrial land around Southport, which is one of the reasons companies like this solar company are moving there. There are also tons of holes in Southport residential areas. You could easily triple the population of Southport; this is one major reason we need more bridges. I would argue it makes more sense to develop Southport than say Natomas.

But despite all this, West Sacramento is trying to create a dense waterfront area with a Streetcar. This is very good. Again, it makes a lot more sense to have a city near the core like West Sacramento develop than some of the madness like Plumas Lake.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 5:09 PM
Hindrance to Development

They have holes, and redevelopable areas--but they have a very definite limit to how much more they can build out, and the area is far smaller than Sacramento's suburban zone. I don't know the specifics, but Southport is no more or less a floodplain than Natomas--it's pretty clear if you walk on the Sacramento side of the river that Southport would be underwater if a levee breached. But it's pretty much the only floodplain they can build on, and it is very unlikely they will get any more, and they realize it.

I'm still rooting for them to get a streetcar line going by 2013--in time for the hundredth anniversary of their original streetcar line.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 6:05 PM

I think it'd be cool if there were a cool, modern pedestrian bridge built between STRS and Old Sac, something like the Millennium Bridge in London.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 7:49 PM

We need a multi modal bridge at Broadway. Separated Streetcar tracks/BUS only lanes, 1 car lane in each direction, separated bike and pedestrian lanes.

Then we also need a bridge at Sutterville with direct connections to I-5.

If you built those two, then yeah you also have a pedestrian bridge around R street.

Unfortunately Land Park NIMBY's have mobilized and protest everytime a building a bridge is even proposed. But it's something we really need as a region.

Portland has 8 bridges and we have 3.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 8:49 PM

Portland is also on a much wider river that has the downtown spread along the river.

I actually like your idea. I could picture a whole Broadway revitalization being kicked off by a bridge and a streetcar.

As for the bridges, put a pedestrian bridge at J Street, a road bridge at Richards Blvd (not sure how it'd connect to the other side since that's Yolo Park), a multimodal bridge at Broadway, and a road bridge at Q or R.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 12:52 AM

Just remember there are two "rivers" to cross; the Sacramento River and Intersate 5.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ozo View Post
Just remember there are two "rivers" to cross; the Sacramento River and Intersate 5.
How right you are. The sunken section would be tough to do unless you had the approach go over the freeway instead of trying to build a regular, low overpass. That's why I'm thinking Old Sac bridge: don't really have to worry about I-5 there, nor would you have to worry with Broadway or Richards Blvd.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 2:32 AM
Hindrance to Development

A pedestrian bridge would be better placed between the Tower Bridge and the Pioneer Bridge. Improving the pedestrian walkway on the I Street bridge (a project that would probably be similar in scale to the improvements to the Tower Bridge) would give better pedestrian access between downtown Sacramento and West Sac. Pedestrian "outriggers" along the lower level of the bridge would make pedestrian and ADA crossing easier and keep pedestrians out of the path of automobiles. It would also provide easy pedestrian access into the Railyards from West Sac. Turn the current pedestrian walkways on the upper level into bicycle-only lanes with protective fences along the edge of the current sidewalk to prevent clipping by automobiles.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area