HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis bickle View Post
Southwest will start non-stop service to Denver starting Aug. 4

Two flights each way a day to start.
I've been waiting for this!

Southwest Airlines adds flights to Denver
Sacramento Business Journal - by Adam Kress Phoenix Business Journal

Southwest Airlines Co. is expanding its service to and from Denver, including new nonstop Sacramento routes.

The Dallas-based carrier is adding two daily nonstop flights between Denver and Sacramento. The airline currently only has direct flights between Sacramento and Denver.

In addition to the Sacramento-Denver route, Southwest is adding:

-One daily nonstop round-trip between Denver and Phoenix.
-One daily nonstop round-trip between Denver and Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, Fla.
-One daily nonstop round-trip between Denver and New Orleans.

Southwest is the largest carrier at Sacramento International Airport.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 12:30 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Southwest adding nonstop flights between Sacramento, Denver
By Mark Glover - mglover@sacbee.com
Last Updated 11:57 am PDT Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Southwest Airlines is introducing two new daily nonstop round trips between Sacramento and Denver.

Previously, flights between the two cities involved more circuitous routes, which included stops in other cities.

The new flights are available for immediate booking for travel beginning Aug. 4.

On the Southwest Web site, the airline has the nonstop flights that begin in August departing Sacramento at 8:20 a.m. and 6:25 p.m. Sacramento-bound nonstop flights out of Denver are listed at 6:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

The Dallas-based carrier made the Sacramento-Denver routes announcement Wednesday, part of an expansion of services that also included additional nonstop flights between Denver and Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood in South Florida and New Orleans.

Southwest also added a daily nonstop flight between Denver and Phoenix.

The airline now has 61 daily nonstops from Denver, up from 13, when it restarted service there in January 2006. Southwest officials noted that the expansion comes on the heels of Denver-based Frontier Airlines filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on April 11.

In recent weeks, ATA Airlines, Skybus Airlines and Aloha Airlines also have filed for bankruptcy protection as the industry struggles with an economic crunch, rising fuel costs and a trend toward consolidation of major carriers.

Systemwide, Southwest operates more than 3,400 flights a day and employs about 34,000.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 12:33 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Southwest is creeping up on that 100 daily departures from SMF, bringing their number (i believe) to 98...

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 3:30 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Majin found your stalker on the Bee comment page..

NoNewArena_ at 12:27 PM PST Wednesday, May 7, 2008 said:

Travis Bickle called this one, nice job Travis! Majin, your thoughts??

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Majin found your stalker on the Bee comment page..

NoNewArena_ at 12:27 PM PST Wednesday, May 7, 2008 said:

Travis Bickle called this one, nice job Travis! Majin, your thoughts??
he also mentioned my name when discussing the Hwy 50 Drive-In. Something to the effect of "neuhickman79, are you happy now?" when the development was mentioned in the Bee the other day! This guy must be a forumer...and an idiot by my calculation!!

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 4:35 AM

Lurker, show yourself.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
I've been waiting for this!
I don't understand why this is such a great news?

SMF already has nonstop service to DEN from United (5x daily) and Frontier (4x daily)

In fact, given Frontier's precarious current condition, Southwest's increased flights from Denver seems like a predatory tactic to me. Few more nails on Frontier's coffin.

Southwest is the airline that accounts for more than half of the traffic in SMF, yet is the first in line to complaint about "unfair burden" of contributing their fair share to the new terminal construction?
And SMF is their 4th most profitable station in the country.

I'm not impressed by Southwest.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmoose View Post

SMF already has nonstop service to DEN from United (5x daily) and Frontier (4x daily)

In fact, given Frontier's precarious current condition, Southwest's increased flights from Denver seems like a predatory tactic to me. Few more nails on Frontier's coffin.

Southwest is the airline that accounts for more than half of the traffic in SMF, yet is the first in line to complaint about "unfair burden" of contributing their fair share to the new terminal construction?

What do you expect from a greedy, Texas-based company!?

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 3:45 PM
West bench livin'

Yah... imagine wanting to save money by flying Southwest when you can show how much you care by paying $100+ more for the same flight on Frontier or United... The Noive (ala 3 Stooges)!

I for one welcome this AND the Florida flight! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the First Non-stop to Florida from Sac?

Now if only SW would add a non-stop to SLC instead of the 2.5 hour layover in Vegas...

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcntry View Post
I for one welcome this AND the Florida flight! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the First Non-stop to Florida from Sac?
I don't think the article said there is a non-stop between Sac and Florida, just Sac and Denver. The Florida non-stop was between Denver and Hollywood/Ft Lauderdale,FL. You'd still have to make connecting flights to get from Sac to any Florida city regardless of airline.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmoose View Post

I'm not excited by Southwest specifically, I'm excited at additional options. I've posted here before that I'm staunchly loyal to Frontier (far better service and planes imo).

I've been waiting for this because this can only mean lower fares from all the airlines that serve DEN-SMF. Previously I'd either fly United or Frontier when going back home. I still have most of my family and a large chunk of friends in Sacramento and go home (to Sacramento) usually several times a year. When I first moved to Denver 3 years ago, I could fly home roundtrip for usually around $180- a great and inexpensive weekend getaway. Fares on that route have gone way up since then and now I'm usually lucky to get a ticket for under $300- whereas now I usually only go home for special events.

This will be great because theoretically, Frontier and United will now have greater competition and ideally fares will come down. I just checked Southwest's website, and I can get a roundtrip ticket from DEN-SMF in August for $159 total.

For someone who tries to come home 3-4 times a year, that can be a savings of upwards of $600 a year. That's a pretty good savings for someone who just bought their first home and is trying to pay out of pocket for grad school.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post

This will be great because theoretically, Frontier and United will now have greater competition and ideally fares will come down. I just checked Southwest's website, and I can get a roundtrip ticket from DEN-SMF in August for $159 total.
Case in point: I just received a fare watcher alert from Travelocity. Starting Aug 4th, United and Frontier are offering DEN-SMF roundtrip for $145 incl all taxes. That's insanely cheap. That's specifically what I was/am excited about with Southwest's announcement. Looks like I'll be able to make an extra trip or two to Sac this Summer and Fall.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 5:15 PM
Away since 06'

Airlines protest cost, timing of Sacramento airport expansion plan
By Tony Bizjak - tbizjak@sacbee.com
Published 12:00 am PDT Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B1

Print | E-Mail | Comments (18)|

Sacramento officials, under pressure to launch a major airport overhaul this summer, have run into a last-minute snag – a mass airline protest over the size and cost of the expansion.

At least 11 airlines, including Southwest, the dominant carrier in Sacramento, have sent letters since Friday expressing concerns about the $1.27 billion project.

"The Sacramento plan doesn't do anything for Southwest Airlines except raise our costs," airline executive Ron Ricks complained. "If Sacramento goes forward with this plan, given all the other economic headwinds the (airline) industry faces, it will lead to a reduction in flights and much higher airfares."

Executives from several airlines say they will ask county supervisors today to back off a plan to substantially increase airline rents and user fees.

The county is considering doubling airline fees over the next four years to help finance a new terminal and other facilities.

Leading airlines, including United, U.S. Airways, JetBlue and Continental, say they agree Sacramento needs to modernize its airport, but they complain the plan wallops them in the pocketbook at a moment of historic economic uncertainty for the aviation industry.

"Our position is please don't do this," Southwest's Ricks said. "We are not saying shelve your plans forever. It would be prudent to see how this shakes out."

Sacramento airport officials counter that the county needs to move forward now, and they are determined to remain on track for a summer groundbreaking.

Each month of delay could increase costs by $10 million, airports director Hardy Acree said.

County officials say they face a time pressure of their own. Federal officials intend to redraw flood maps for the Natomas basin soon, effectively placing a moratorium on new construction. The airport project needs to be under way this year to ensure that it won't be shelved indefinitely.

Acree insists the airlines can afford the proposed fees, but he acknowledged it means they might increase ticket prices.

"You have to take the long-term view," Acree said. "We're building a new airport for the next generation of Sacramentans. This is an investment the airlines should be making."

Jimmie Yee, chairman of the Board of Supervisors, backed Acree, saying the airlines want the county to go cheap, but Sacramento deserves "an airport we'll be proud of."

Supervisor Roger Dickinson said Monday he's seen the airlines' letters but supports expansion now.

"I don't believe (the airlines') success or failure rides on our adjustment of fees," Dickinson said. "I respect their view, but we have been prudent and, in the interest of Sacramento, we need to move ahead."

An effort by the airport and airlines to negotiate a fee settlement failed last month.

County officials sold a half-billion dollars in bonds two weeks ago to finance initial construction costs and say they received lower interest rates than expected. An official with one key bond rating agency said his office is watching the situation in Sacramento with interest, but not alarm.

"Moody's has some concerns about the current state of the relationship between the airport and airlines," said Kurt Krummenacker of Moody's Investors Service, which rates airports' credit-worthiness. "At the end of the day, we look at the strength of the (Sacramento) travel market, which has shown strong wealth levels and population growth, as well as a resilient economy."

The county's proposed fee structure will, however, put Sacramento well above national averages, industry officials said, and could put Sacramento among the more expensive airports for airlines in the coming years.

Currently, airlines pay airport fees and rents equal to about $6 per passenger.

Supervisors will consider raising that to $9 effective July 1. Airport officials say they expect to raise airline fees to $13.63 per passenger by 2013 to help finance the expansion.

Airports typically charge higher rents and fees during expansion projects, industry watchers say, then relax fees as debts are paid.

Federal law allows the county to unilaterally impose fees, as long as they are reasonable and are used to operate or expand the airport.

The airport also recently increased parking fees to help finance the expansion.

The centerpiece of the expansion will be a four-story, glass-and-steel terminal to replace the old and undersized Terminal B.

Nine-year-old Terminal A will continue to be used.

The new terminal would be topped by a hotel tower and connected to a separate concourse building via a people-mover tram.

Airport officials also plan a second multilevel parking garage.

Airlines are reeling from an unprecedented rise in fuel costs.

Several air carriers have gone out of business in recent months, including Aloha, which did business in Sacramento.

Fuel prices now account for more than one-quarter of airline costs. Rents and fees account for roughly 6 percent, according to figures from the Air Transport Association of America.

In an effort to reduce costs, Southwest officials said they are canceling four daily Sacramento flights to Southern California cities. Other airlines are announcing flight reductions at airports nationwide, and three other major airlines increased fares $20 nationally last week.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 6:01 PM

Travis Bickle - You know a lot about this stuff...would you call BS on the airlines?

I find Southwest claim Sacramento doesn't do anything for us a little odd considering its been reported that Sacramento has some of their highest margins here.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 11:51 PM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
Travis Bickle - You know a lot about this stuff...would you call BS on the airlines?

I find Southwest claim Sacramento doesn't do anything for us a little odd considering its been reported that Sacramento has some of their highest margins here.
Absolutely call BS. Airlines always complain about any increase in fees. They do it with every airport in the country. Airlines go where the money is and always manage to find a way to pass on the costs. Southwest just recently returned to SFO despite the highest fees in the state. These are simply negotiating tactics. At the end the County may agree to lower the 2013 rate, but airport staff is committed to the new terminal as designed and they have the backing of the supes. We'll hear a lot of squealing between now and then and a lot of hollow threats (Don't be surprised if you read a story about Southwest involved in "talks" with Stockton about starting service there as a low-cost alternative to SMF.), but in the end any disruption to service in Sacramento will be minor and of short duration. If SMF loses any service it will have far more to do with fuel costs than it does adding 7 bux to the fees.

Southwest would be happy with a couple of Quonset huts off the runway as long as it kept its costs low. That is not meant as a slam against Southwest. I fly it often and enjoy the product. I don't blame them for wanting to keep costs low. I do the same thing on my projects. But this carping now is what occurs anywhere a new terminal is proposed.

Frankly, part of the drive for this terminal is ego driven. Acree wants a to be running a major airport and a spectacular new terminal is part of that desire. But it is also sorely needed.

This new terminal helps break the typical Sacramento mindset that embraces mediocrity and for whom "good enough" is just that.

It's going to be paid for by people who use the airport and by companies that make money from the airport.

As it should be.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 12:57 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

I just find their timing disturbing in that it could cause the remaing bonds to be sold with higher interest rates.

Secondly the airlines all had input during the Terminal Modernization and Airport Master plans.

This central terminal design comes about because of current and projected growth rates as well as new security measures.

I guess they could have gone with another plan that mirrored Terminal A's design (where ticketing and baggage claim are integrated into the facility).

But i do hear you Travis that the new central terminal will be a vast leap over what we're used to in Sacramento; and possibly even Northern California in terms of amenities, design and growth potential. I think you hit the nail on the head with Acree. He wants to head a premier airport, but if Southwest makes good on their threats, he may have a new airport and not much else, because Southwest accounts for half the passenger traffic at SMF.

But at this point with half a billion in bonds sold, what else can the county do?

Going back to the drawing board and opting for a cheaper design, will do nothing to really bring down the price tag on this, since any delay will ultimately end up costing more in construction costs.

It's just unfortunate that the airlines are doing this now. I hope you're right that it's a negotiation tactic..

Once again though, nothing comes easy in Sacramento. Here i thought a lawsuit would derail this and the loudest objections are coming from the airlines themselves.

Last edited by urban_encounter; May 14, 2008 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 2:23 AM

Thanks for the insight TB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
This new terminal helps break the typical Sacramento mindset that embraces mediocrity and for whom "good enough" is just that.
Completely agree

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 7:08 AM

Naysayers be damned!!!! Victory is ours!
Quote:
Despite airlines' protests, supervisors give initial OK to Sacramento airport expansion
By Tony Bizjak - tbizjak@sacbee.com
Published 12:00 am PDT Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B1

Sacramento County leaders announced their intention Tuesday to launch a major airport expansion next month – sharply rebuffing airline officials who flew in to protest the project's cost.

The $1.27 billion plan, which would include a new terminal, hotel, parking garage and people-mover tram, has come under intense fire from airlines at Sacramento International Airport.

In letters to the Board of Supervisors this week, airline officials complained the county is pushing exorbitant fees on them to finance an oversized facility even as airlines struggle to survive.

Airline officials said they are being buffeted by the dramatic rise in jet fuel prices and the economic downturn.

Several asked the county to place its plans on hold and rethink the fees.

"We're only here because we're desperate," United Airlines official Korbey Hunt testified at a sometimes acrimonious hearing.

Donnell Harvey of Delta Air Lines went further, arguing a new set of fees proposed by airport officials appears to be "retaliatory," because the airport and airlines failed to come to terms on how much airlines would pay for the project.

Despite the airlines' plea, the supervisors unanimously agreed to increase airline fees, effective July 1, from an average of $6 per passenger to $9 a passenger. Those fees are expected to top out at $13.63 in 2013 before being lowered in subsequent years.

Tuesday's decision was preliminary. The board indicated it will officially ratify the fees in two weeks.

Southwest Airlines executive Greg Gillis said he will be back to make the airlines' case again to supervisors in the intervening days.

But supervisors made it clear Tuesday they felt that some of what they were hearing from the airlines was bluster, and repeatedly criticized airline officials for waiting so long to express their opposition.

"This is so last-minute as to be unbelievable," Supervisor Susan Peters said. "I'm just shocked to see you here today."

County officials said they feel they must break ground soon or risk an expensive, several-year delay. Because of flood issues in Natomas, a delay risks snagging expansion on an upcoming building moratorium while levee work is completed.

Airport officials pointed out they already sold several hundred million dollars in bonds two weeks ago to investors to finance the first phases of the project.

Supervisor Don Nottoli was most vocal in rebutting airline complaints. But, after some smaller airlines described the burdens new fees will cause, Nottoli chastised airport officials for bringing the fee proposal forward so late that supervisors had little chance to reflect before voting.

Executives at Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air, which have small operations in Sacramento, said the new fees will more than double their costs at the airport.

Several airline officials said the new fees could cause their companies to reconsider service expansions and may cause them to raise fares in Sacramento. None, however, said their airlines definitely would increase fares.

County airports director Hardy Acree characterized the airlines' opposition to higher fees as short-sighted. He said the county needs to build the airport to serve a market that has been growing and that will, after a rough patch, continue to grow.

If some airlines pull out, Acree said, other airlines will fill the gap.

That drew a rebuke from Kathy Smith of Alaska Airlines.

"It's disheartening," she said. "We're supposed to be partners."

Supervisor Nottoli concluded, "There are a lot of bridges that are going to have to be rebuilt."

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 8:05 PM

This new terminal has been in the works for how many years?

Airlines can't claim they didn't have notice.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 10:29 PM

I don't blame the airlines for being pissed, but yeah definately in the last minute. And if the airport doesn't expand now, then when?? the expansion project is only going to get expensive.

Also whats with the negativity in the comments in the SacBee story. Wow, lot of small-minded folks out there. I'm glad the Supes didn't back off.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area