HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 10:02 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Lincoln Street ~ it is always cloudy when I decide to shoot photos

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 2:52 AM

Thanks for the pics, I enjoy getting to see all these projects through your lens. A little repetitive architecturally, but look really nice overall. I feel you can almost never go wrong with brick. The urban wall created along with the parking garage is pretty impressive when contrasted with when my friends manufactured home used to be there. BSU is going to be a monster some day.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 6:25 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Thanks for posting Sawtooth! The design is definitely functional, it doesn't look ugly but it's definitely very basic.

I had heard talk of a new entry sign going in near the COBE. While glancing through the PDS online I found this.
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...08291354017520

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 1:47 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
Thanks for the pics, I enjoy getting to see all these projects through your lens. A little repetitive architecturally, but look really nice overall. I feel you can almost never go wrong with brick. The urban wall created along with the parking garage is pretty impressive when contrasted with when my friends manufactured home used to be there. BSU is going to be a monster some day.
I've never been a huge fan of brick but pragmatically, it makes dang good siding if you plan on owning the place for 100 years. The weak point is the mortar, but that too lasts for decades.

Yep, thx for the pics Sawtooth. I haven't been over to Lincoln St for a while. It looks like something you'd see back east. Brick row houses in Baltimore, DC, Philly and NYC were common in, what, the late 1800s?

I think This Old House did a series on the rehab of a brick row house last year.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 3:15 PM

^The similarity to the eastern row-houses is probably why I like the brick so much, even if it is reminiscent of the late 1800's. hahaa. From an aesthetic standpoint, it's almost like BSU gains instant credibility. If all the campus buildings were built with the same stripmall stucco seen all over the western US, the school would look tacky and new. In upper academics, longevity, tradition, and prestige are key, and I feel the classic brick style helps guide your perception towards that.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 4:46 PM

Thanks Sawtooth.

No concerns on the look. Once trees line the street and foilage blankets the face of those buildings, opinions will be super positive. Great project for campus. Great project for the city.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 11:47 PM
Dare Mighty Things

I was pleasantly surprised today to see the new Alumni Center has updated renderings!

http://alumni.boisestate.edu/campaign/#

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 2:31 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Thanks for posting Sawtooth! The design is definitely functional, it doesn't look ugly but it's definitely very basic.

I had heard talk of a new entry sign going in near the COBE. While glancing through the PDS online I found this.
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...08291354017520

I like the design of the apartments, they add a touch of class. I would support more of this type of design incorporated in residential infill around the city.

The new gateway sign is currently being built in front the Idaho Bird Observatory on the other side of University from COBE. Right where that excellent Thai restaurant was at that closed.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 2:58 PM

Nice pictures Sawtooth, beautiful, clear, sharp photos. You mentioned in a previous post that you have a new camera.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 5:51 AM

i went to take an entrance test at bsu today and was like woaaaaahhhhhhhh when i saw all the new buildings over in that area. Boise state has grown so much and I tell you what i'm loving the size of the campus!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 8:59 PM

BSU future construction and campus upgrades

Here is a link to a pdf showing the BSU building fund request for next year with some specifics on upgrades around campus as well as some possible new construction.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basco View Post
Here is a link to a pdf showing the BSU building fund request for next year with some specifics on upgrades around campus as well as some possible new construction.
I love how BSU seems to be so organized and aware of what it wants to build. And I love even more how they actually get it done. Now, if only some various other folks around town could learn a lesson or two...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basco View Post
Nice find Basco

Are they talking about putting a new arts and humanities building on the other side of university across the street from COBE or putting it right next to COBE?

Last edited by andyroo; Jun 6, 2012 at 6:08 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 7:32 AM

Found this rendering of a performing arts center.
http://www.opsisarch.com/boise%20sta...s%20center.swf

Anyone know how long this has been in the works? They have the building going in where the new COBE is.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo View Post
Found this rendering of a performing arts center.
http://www.opsisarch.com/boise%20sta...s%20center.swf

Anyone know how long this has been in the works? They have the building going in where the new COBE is.
The link that Basco provided shows that it is one of the 2013 capital projects that is looking for funding. But it obviously won't be on that corner any more. Judging by the design intentions, I would say it would be situated closer to one of the major streets--Broadway or Capitol; they mentioned an emphasis on seeing activity within the structure, and burying it deep in campus could jeopardize that. All that said, they are still in the planning and concept stages.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 2:45 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...economics.html

Micron Business and Economics Building at Boise State: a place to inspire students, businesses

By Sandra Forester — sforester@idahostatesman.com

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 4:46 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...economics.html

Micron Business and Economics Building at Boise State: a place to inspire students, businesses

By Sandra Forester — sforester@idahostatesman.com
FYI, the dedication ceremony takes place tomorrow, august 21, with an open house for those who want to tour it.

it officially opens for classes a week from today on the 27th.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 6:17 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Good stuff! Also, the new Alumni Center will be reviewed in the next Planning & Zoning Commission meeting.

http://pds.cityofboise.org/media/184...2_pzagenda.pdf

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 11:40 PM

I am a GA for the Business department and was in the building today. It's pretty awesome. I will try to get some pics of the view from the top floor. When Zion's bank is finished, it'll be a nice view of the taller downtown buildings.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 5:06 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Dona Larsen Park ~ Warm Springs Avenue view

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West