HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 5:56 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsumetai View Post
Heard today from an employee that David's Tea is set to open in Market Mall (where Spare Parts used to be, Spare Part is relocating to another place within the Mall), and another David's Tea location will open on Stephen Ave.

I was dissapointed when Teavana bought out Teaopia so this will be an interesting change. I personally can't stand Teavana's high priced ($4+/cup) bastardized tea drinks.
Great news- I've been to David's in Toronto and Montreal and it's a great chain. I love how they brew iced tea a la minute and the happy vibe of the place. BTW they do really nice teas at Waves- it's my favourite thing about them.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 4:07 AM
BANNED

Some revealing bits from Grosvenor that helps to answer a part of my question on the future direction of 17th ave.

Grosvenor plans residential tower
By David Parker, Around Town November 6, 2012

Quote:
Nearby Mount Royal Village is to undergo a re-merchandising and the new owner is also planning to renovate its Devonish Building and develop the lands behind it, where announcement of a grocery store location is expected.

On the south side of 17th there's the new Shoppers building and on the west side of 8th Street Best Buy has opened in Hanson Square.
Also, a couple other interesting quotes from the article:
Quote:
Grosvenor also owns the 10-storey office tower on the northeast corner of 17th Avenue and 4th Street S.W. that provides 23,000 square feet of retail.

The property also has 190 parking stalls along 15th Avenue, which could provide another 200 or so residential units.
And this:
Quote:
The new 15th Avenue purchase is the first Grosvenor investment in Calgary since 2006. That year, besides the Drake lands, it bought a prime piece of land in the well-established west end of the city along 5th Avenue S.W. to the corner of 10th Street.

Avenue has been designed as two towers of 24 and 19 storeys to offer 195 and 124 units, with a 1,500 square foot retail podium running along 10th Street.

We can expect signage to be up shortly with marketing to begin in earnest next spring.
Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...#ixzz2BVPqmaUN

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 11:19 PM
Retail-Insider

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your Forum contributions. I'd like to reference this Forum and any contributions/contributors who might have information relevant to my website, Retail Insider.

Retail Insider is an un-monetized hobby of mine. My goal is to get Canadians excited about retail and retail-related real estate (and it seems to be working). A variety of sources, both from brokers/insiders and online sources are used. I'd love it if some of you would like to contribute and I'll totally source you/this Forum where possible. Some of your posts are awesome and I'd like to hear from you!

Feel free to email me at insider@retail-insider.com with any suggestions, tips, feedback or even just to say hello. I'm a friendly guy and like I said, this is still a hobby (only started April 2012) that seems to have gained a consistent readership.

In return, I'll do my best to update this Forum with any retail-related insider info I might receive...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail-Insider View Post
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your Forum contributions. I'd like to reference this Forum and any contributions/contributors who might have information relevant to my website, Retail Insider.

Retail Insider is an un-monetized hobby of mine. My goal is to get Canadians excited about retail and retail-related real estate (and it seems to be working). A variety of sources, both from brokers/insiders and online sources are used. I'd love it if some of you would like to contribute and I'll totally source you/this Forum where possible. Some of your posts are awesome and I'd like to hear from you!

Feel free to email me at insider@retail-insider.com with any suggestions, tips, feedback or even just to say hello. I'm a friendly guy and like I said, this is still a hobby (only started April 2012) that seems to have gained a consistent readership.

In return, I'll do my best to update this Forum with any retail-related insider info I might receive...
Your facebook updates are exceptional! Well done!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 2:20 PM

A friend of mine who worked on the construction of the newest phase of Chinook Centre has mentioned that his company has a bid in for the next phase of Chinook Centre, which will be built on the other side of MacLeod Trail, on the CIBC site, with a ped bridge linking the two structures. Appears that it's only retail, and higher end retail at that. That was all I was able to glean from him, but perhaps Retail-Insider has more details on that???

So I guess my hope of having a residential/hotel tower built on the main site (perhaps replacing Kal Tire or Shell) is not the direction that CFC is going at the moment???

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 4:26 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
A friend of mine who worked on the construction of the newest phase of Chinook Centre has mentioned that his company has a bid in for the next phase of Chinook Centre, which will be built on the other side of MacLeod Trail, on the CIBC site, with a ped bridge linking the two structures. Appears that it's only retail, and higher end retail at that. That was all I was able to glean from him, but perhaps Retail-Insider has more details on that???

So I guess my hope of having a residential/hotel tower built on the main site (perhaps replacing Kal Tire or Shell) is not the direction that CFC is going at the moment???
A 2nd phase on the east of Macleod linked via a pedestrian bridge would be a huge boon to the area. It will connect Chinook to the LRT station much better, which, right now isn't the best. Hopefully it will spur other developments on that side of Macleod as well.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 6:06 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
A 2nd phase on the east of Macleod linked via a pedestrian bridge would be a huge boon to the area. It will connect Chinook to the LRT station much better, which, right now isn't the best. Hopefully it will spur other developments on that side of Macleod as well.
I'd love to see the owner of the big box stores give up some of their parking to create some sidewalk fronting retail along 61st ave so that you have something to check out while you walk to the mall. I'd like the big box stores replaced as well, but as far as ped experience just having a strip along 61st would good enough for now.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 4:07 AM
Retail-Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post

Actually, we don't have details about that expansion. Are you able to find out more? We'll work on it from our end!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 2:23 PM

I don't know how much he knows because he's working for a sub trade. If it comes up in conversation again, I'll certainly try to get more information!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 2:35 PM

When Chinook first talked about wanting to expand again, I'm fairly certain it was on the existing parcel. Right now the site has maxed out the building square footage allowed by the zoning, so an expansion would need a redesignation and council's blessing. Hence, Chinook is in discussion with the city to add retail, commercial and potentially residential uses on the south-east end of the site (currently parking lots and the original single level 1960's section of the mall).

As far as redeveloping the Home Depot/Staples site across, that may be happening but I doubt that is what Chinook is talking about at the moment, as Cadillac Fairview doesn't own that site.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 10:50 PM

the bay lists topshop being only at Vancouver, toronto and Calgary downtown - do they have a full sized topshop/topman shop or just the capsule at the bay downtown?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the bay lists topshop being only at Vancouver, toronto and Calgary downtown - do they have a full sized topshop/topman shop or just the capsule at the bay downtown?
It's only a capsule collection and it's located on the 3rd floor of the downtown location. Currently, they only have selection for women, but let's hope they get some stuff for men.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 4:14 AM

So, other than George Richards and Mr. Big and Tall, any other stores have 'tall' men's clothing in Calgary? Specifically, I'm looking for sweaters and/or long-sleeve shirts with a 38/39 sleeve length.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
It's only a capsule collection and it's located on the 3rd floor of the downtown location. Currently, they only have selection for women, but let's hope they get some stuff for men.
ok thx - the mens stuff is pretty cool

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 4:17 PM
City of Blinding Lights

The men's stuff is awesome! Let's hope that we get a big selection!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 6:38 PM
BANNED

Any announcements regarding retail tenant signings post-reno's at the Old Bank of Montreal Building? Last I heard they were aiming for a first to market international clothing department store for the main level, and a restaurant for the basement level.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 6:49 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

crazy I didn't even know there was a basement, wonder if it has/had any 1930s decor.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 7:23 PM
BANNED

I think the basement was the site of the bank vault. Could be a a beautiful, low-light setting for a high-end restaurant. Here's an article i found about the renovations. I think this is my favorite historical building in Calgary.

Quote:
CALGARY — The historic downtown Bank of Montreal building is undergoing a massive multi-million dollar restoration and will spring back to life in a few months after sitting vacant for more than 10 years.

Retail space is available for lease on the main floor of the building and the mezzanine level while office space is targeted for the third and fourth floors. Restoration of the building will include a rooftop patio for office tenants.

Chelsea Harding, asset manager for Steiner Properties which owns the building, said retail space will be ready for occupancy by the end of September and the office space by early 2013.

The basement has been cleared and that space is leasable, she said. A main floor retail tenant could end up taking the basement as well or it could be a separate tenancy. Amenities in the basement will also include showers, lockers and bike storage.

“It’s a phenomenal location. It’s a beautiful building,” said Harding. “The timing’s right. The office market is doing well. We’re on a key corner of Stephen Avenue. We’ve had lots of encouragement to get going on this. The timing was right in both the office market and our position within the company in what we were ready to do.”

A&B Sound was the last operating business at that location more than 10 years ago.

The Bank of Montreal building is located at 140 8th Ave. S.W. It was built in 1931. The City of Calgary archives says the exterior of the current building is clad with limestone featuring a large pediment and crest. The crest features two native men, a beaver, woodlands and teepees. The Corinthian capitals on top of the columns support the pediment. The interior is neo-classical with columns and the ceiling features 917 ounces of gold leaf.

Maggie Schofield, executive director of the Calgary Downtown Association, said the building is such a cornerstone of the downtown, particularly of Stephen Avenue Walk.

“It’s an incredibly beautiful building and it’s been really neglected over the last number of years. It’s also been the target of vandalism and graffiti and so forth. To have it occupied and restored to its grandeur is really, really important to us,” she said.

“Retail is really critical to (Stephen Avenue) itself and we have some fabulous, unique retail along here. This will certainly add to that but it adds to that street vitality. It’s very, very important.”

Aly Lalani, vice-president/ partner of Colliers International, which is leasing the office space in the building, said the office component is about 25,000 square feet.

“We’ve had a ton of interest from office tenants. We don’t have a deal in place yet. I don’t anticipate it’s going to take too long. We should have it ready for tenant fixturing come January. So a tenant could be up and running in there call it March,” he said.

The available retail space is about 20,000 square feet.

Bernie Bayer, president of the Taurus Property Group which is leasing the retail, said the space offers a unique opportunity for a retailer who wants to establish a flagship location in the city.

“Because of the nature and the stature of the building and its impressive architecture, it gives a retailer a real instant presence, if you will, by locating in that space. There’s a ton of history on the location. It’s always sort of been one of Calgary’s major commercial corners,” he said. “A lot of Calgarians at one time or another end up going past that corner of the city whether it’s on city transit or they work downtown or because they’re going to a restaurant, theatre or show in the downtown. You often find yourself at that corner.

“It’s the perfect building if and when a really high profile retailer decides now is the time to put a store in Calgary. What we need is to be beneficiaries of perfect timing. What we need is a retailer, I would suggest probably a U. S. or a European retailer, to decide that now is the time to come into Calgary and this would be their first location in the market.”
Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Histori...#ixzz2D4iTk0eX

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 11:39 PM

Goodlife Fitness is buying a bunch of assets from Golds Gym. This apparently includes 4/5 Golds gyms in Calgary and a bunch in other markets too. Details should be public soon

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 1:05 AM
Realtor

The polar bears at Chinook look great:

Chinook Centre Polar Bears by JordanW.ca, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy