HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plus15 View Post
West Elm is opening in the under-renovation Mount Royal Village. Lease plans show it taking about half the main floor, with basement storage. This week they posted career ops on their corporate website. I think it's fantastic they have chosen to open on 17th. On a side note the entire 2nd floor of MRV East is leased to Good Life Fitness.
That's fantastic news! Thanks for sharing.

I was disappointed when it was announced that Good Life was taking the entire second floor, but this more than makes up for it.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 3:51 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
That's fantastic news! Thanks for sharing.

I was disappointed when it was announced that Good Life was taking the entire second floor, but this more than makes up for it.
Why is this disappointing? I think it's fantastic. Gyms are fantastic resources and to be decent need lots of floor space.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 4:54 PM
power to the people!

The area sorely needed another health club. Talisman is a zoo.

Sure GoodLife is the 800 lb gorilla of the Canadian fitness world, but they're well staffed, equipped and are relatively not that intimidating. This is a good use for a second floor space.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 5:03 PM

HYPED!! that probably means it will be ready in the next couple or months! Best news! Thank you!

The Good life is awesome news too. When I was at Calla, the only place I could really workout was at my gym in my condo or I would have to drive out of downtown to go to goodlife. This is perfect for people who live nearby. These are the types of amenities I'm talking about that downtown needs so we don't have to rely on driving. Makes downtown more livable!

What's the estimated completion of Goodlife and West Elm?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 5:47 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
The Good life is awesome news too. When I was at Calla, the only place I could really workout was at my gym in my condo or I would have to drive out of downtown to go to goodlife. This is perfect for people who live nearby. These are the types of amenities I'm talking about that downtown needs so we don't have to rely on driving. Makes downtown more livable!
There's Talisman which is world class, the Anytime Fitness on 1st SW and by the Baron Building, the new Good Life on Stephen Ave, Good Life at Eau Claire Market, the Eau Claire YMCA, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting or not aware of. There are MANY options DT and in Beltline- but none on 17th so it's great to see Good Life at MRV.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 7:00 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
There's Talisman which is world class, the Anytime Fitness on 1st SW and by the Baron Building, the new Good Life on Stephen Ave, Good Life at Eau Claire Market, the Eau Claire YMCA, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting or not aware of. There are MANY options DT and in Beltline- but none on 17th so it's great to see Good Life at MRV.
And the granddaddy of them all, the good old Beltline Aquatic and Fitness Centre 221 12 Ave SW.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 7:29 PM

Quote:
There is the Bankers Hall Club too. On my wanderings through the +15s last year I stumbled into quite a few smaller fitness centers in many of the office towers as well. Not sure what their hours would be like, but if they are open in the evenings and weekends I would guess they would be fairly underutilized at those times as they seemed to focus mostly on early morning and late afternoon weekday workout sessions for execs.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 7:56 PM
BANNED

^There's tons of gyms in the commercial core. Another Anytime Fitness on 8th ave and a world health club in The Bay building. The new Good Life Fitness at MRV will be a lot more convenient for west Beltline, Lower Mount Royal, Bankview residents though.

I've never been to West Elm but have heard the name a few times, looks like another big addition for 17th ave which is becoming a lot busier. Another retailer going the cgy, to, van route.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 1:44 AM

Hadn't seen it mentioned here, and was wondering what was going on in the Southcentre parking lot recently. Turns out it's a Sporting Life.

http://www.southcentremall.com/pages...-sporting-life

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 2:48 AM

Cool. Should give SportChek a bit of competition there. I had thought since the construction area was so large it must have been a freestanding building, not something attached to the mall proper.

I know someone mentioned they were also looking at a 4 storey expansion to the mall somewhere, anyone seen any details of that?

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 3:15 AM
power to the people!

Sort of. Runners and active wear i guess they compete with sport chek.

Clothing-wise, Sporting Life competes with places like Holts ( Canada Goose, Moncler) and Out There (Arc'tyryx, North Face). The equipment is higher end than Sport Chek too. For example, the bike brands are more in line with what you'd see at Bow or Ridleys.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 10:10 PM

Has anyone heard of which retailers will take over the vacated Target premises in the city?

I think a Loblaws (along the same caliber of the one at Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, which is pretty swish) would be a great addition to one of the floors of the space at Chinook. I am probably wishfully thinking though.

As for the other locations in the city, I would have no opinions though. I hear Goodlife, Canadian Tire, and Walmart are hoping to pick up some of the spaces across the country.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Has anyone heard of which retailers will take over the vacated Target premises in the city?

I think a Loblaws (along the same caliber of the one at Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, which is pretty swish) would be a great addition to one of the floors of the space at Chinook. I am probably wishfully thinking though.

As for the other locations in the city, I would have no opinions though. I hear Goodlife, Canadian Tire, and Walmart are hoping to pick up some of the spaces across the country.
I shudder at the idea of driving into the Chinook parking lot for a quick grocery run...

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I read the other day that Lowe's is taking over 13 Target leases across the country, with 2 of them being here in Calgary. Not sure which locations though. I also read that Walmart is taking over 13 Target leases across Canada as well, but I don't believe any of them are in Calgary.

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 1:46 AM

I saw too that Canadian Tire was taking 12 locations. None in Calgary either from what I remember.

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_179 View Post
I read the other day that Lowe's is taking over 13 Target leases across the country, with 2 of them being here in Calgary. Not sure which locations though. I also read that Walmart is taking over 13 Target leases across Canada as well, but I don't believe any of them are in Calgary.
I believe that Forest Lawn and Westhills were the two that Lowes was interested in if I recall something I saw somewhere. I personally would have thought Rona may have had an interest in Forest Lawn since they have a former Totem store across the street that when I've been by there over the years has seemed relatively busy, and theres not really anything near there unless you wanted to go up to Sunridge. Westhills is probably more of Lowes trying to steal market from Rona, as they also have a medium sized store in there.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
^There's tons of gyms in the commercial core. Another Anytime Fitness on 8th ave and a world health club in The Bay building. The new Good Life Fitness at MRV will be a lot more convenient for west Beltline, Lower Mount Royal, Bankview residents though.

I've never been to West Elm but have heard the name a few times, looks like another big addition for 17th ave which is becoming a lot busier. Another retailer going the cgy, to, van route.
i love west elm, its changed a lot since it opened, for the better, it was sort of like ikea when it opened in the sense it was flatpack furniture with bedding and decor, now its a little more expensive, sort of has a mid century vibe to it, a little cheaper than its sister store pottery barn, perhaps a little less trad and more trendy

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 11:11 PM
power to the people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I believe that Forest Lawn and Westhills were the two that Lowes was interested in if I recall something I saw somewhere. I personally would have thought Rona may have had an interest in Forest Lawn since they have a former Totem store across the street that when I've been by there over the years has seemed relatively busy, and theres not really anything near there unless you wanted to go up to Sunridge. Westhills is probably more of Lowes trying to steal market from Rona, as they also have a medium sized store in there.
Interesting. I would've guessed Shawnessy and Westhills.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:10 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Gravity Pope had a big "moving sale" sign in their windows so I popped in today and asked where they were moving to. It's the white building that was most recently a salon and a couple of other businesses between liquor depot and boston pizza between 10a and 11 streets. Very exciting- it's going to be more like a small department store than the other location and will have something like ten times the floor space- it'll sell clothes and records (!) and there'll be a cafe in there too. Can't wait for this- opening hoped for in August, they've done tonnes of interior work per the manager I spoke to.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:42 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Gravity Pope had a big "moving sale" sign in their windows so I popped in today and asked where they were moving to. It's the white building that was most recently a salon and a couple of other businesses between liquor depot and boston pizza between 10a and 11 streets. Very exciting- it's going to be more like a small department store than the other location and will have something like ten times the floor space- it'll sell clothes and records (!) and there'll be a cafe in there too. Can't wait for this- opening hoped for in August, they've done tonnes of interior work per the manager I spoke to.
Great. That space was boarded up for so long. Very much a welcome addition to that portion of 17th (much in need of love). I am happy to see more clothing stores on 17th (I like Frank and Oak and Less 17). Thanks for the info.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy