HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 6:20 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Memory Express NE Location will be moving into the former Stampede Toyota Building on 32nd Ave.
14 months later, and this is still not open.

I think work started a month or two before I posted this too. I only posted it after I found out it was going to be a memory express.

It's had an "Opening Soon" sign up since at least spring.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 8:45 PM

Yep. Its quite majorly behind schedule. Haven't been in the NE store for a while so I haven't had a chance to ask any of the guys there if they knew whats happening.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Sep 3, 2012, 5:44 AM
Realtor

Walmart is going to take the place of the old Zellers store in Deer Run.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 3:48 PM

Official - Chinook Sears to Become Nordstroms

Quote:
Iconic American retail giant Nordstrom officially announced Thursday its plans to expand into the Canadian marketplace, including a store at Calgary’s Chinook Centre, which will be the first to open in the fall of 2014.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Nordstr...#ixzz26Mi6PZVW
Calgary store goes live Fall 2014, Then Pacific Centre and Rideau Centre in 2015, followed by new build Toronto store in 2016.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 4:20 PM

Recently bought some stuff online via Nordstrom. Their house brand is top notch and not expensive for men's office work wear.

Will be interesting to see if Edmonton will eventually get a Nordstrom, and Calgary a Simons, or if they judge each other to saturate the marketplace.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 4:26 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Interesting that by sq ft it appears the Vancouver store will be the 'flagship' rather than Toronto

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Recently bought some stuff online via Nordstrom. Their house brand is top notch and not expensive for men's office work wear.

Will be interesting to see if Edmonton will eventually get a Nordstrom, and Calgary a Simons, or if they judge each other to saturate the marketplace.
I was really impressed with Simons when I visited Montreal in 2008 and recently in 2011. My only other experience with "department stores" back then was The Bay and Sears. I had not yet visited Macy's in the States back then.

Simons was stocking brands like GStar, Scotch&Soda, Bjorn Borg, Diesel etc. at relatively affordable prices (not the marked up prices of Underground). Ie - GStar shirt $55CAD at Simons. Same shirt was $69 at Underground.

I'm not a brand whore btw. I just think the Bay is always 2-3 years behind from a fashion perspective.

I really wish Calgary got a Simons...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Interesting that by sq ft it appears the Vancouver store will be the 'flagship' rather than Toronto
Nordstroms is a Seattle based company, their flagship store is in Downtown Seattle.

What's more interesting is that Calgary store opens before Vancouver. Also the longterm nature of the store opennings, e.g. Calgary not until fall 2014.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 9:19 PM
Closed account

Is that 140,000 square feet the entire Sears store, or is Chinook going to repurpose some of the space for other retail?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
Is that 140,000 square feet the entire Sears store, or is Chinook going to repurpose some of the space for other retail?
I believe its the full Sears space, Chinook Centre probably doesn't need anymore retail space, especially finishing that expansion.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
The Sears space is 170,000 square feet and Nordstrom is only taking 140,000. The remaining space will most likely be turned into a larger forecourt area inside with approximately 25,000 square feet of space for new retailers. J Crew, Pottery Barn Kids, Ann Taylor and other new to Canada stores will easily fill up the remaining space.

I expect to see Cadillac Fairview create a new focal courtyard at the Nordstrom entrance, similar to the chandelier atrium in the recent expansion. This would allow for the typical Espresso bar Nordstrom is known to place at the entrances to its stores.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 7:08 AM
Retail-Insider

Quote:
Actually, Nordstrom's Canadian headquarters are likely going to be in Toronto. Nordstrom Canada's president will move to Toronto with her husband in 2015, according to news reports. Expect Nordstrom to open at least 3 GTA stores, including a large downtown Toronto location (you can guess where). In fact, the Sherway Gardens store might not be the first Nordstrom location to open in Toronto - it's only the first to be announced.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 3:11 PM
Construction Enthusiast

I think Memory Express NE is now open, for a week or two already.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 3:50 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Calgary store goes live Fall 2014, Then Pacific Centre and Rideau Centre in 2015, followed by new build Toronto store in 2016.
It's interesting and cool that Calgary will be the first Nordstrom in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post

Nordstrom's house brand is AWESOME! This goes for both the men's and women's categories. It's really stylish and it's quality. I am really looking forward to the customer service side of things to. We were just in Seattle and my wife spent 3 hours in Nordstrom, we had one of the girls helping us for that whole time. She brought use water with lemons. It was awesome. She was actually blown away that we weren't used to that kind of customer service. Kristen ended up buying about 20 items during their August sale and it only came to $345. Really great prices.

Quote:
Keep in mind that given that Nordstrom is based in Seattle Vancouverites and those living in the Lower Mainland have a lot of brand familiarity with Nordstrom. I imagine that they will be VERY successful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsumetai View Post
I was really impressed with Simons when I visited Montreal in 2008 and recently in 2011. My only other experience with "department stores" back then was The Bay and Sears. I had not yet visited Macy's in the States back then.

Simons was stocking brands like GStar, Scotch&Soda, Bjorn Borg, Diesel etc. at relatively affordable prices (not the marked up prices of Underground). Ie - GStar shirt $55CAD at Simons. Same shirt was $69 at Underground.

I'm not a brand whore btw. I just think the Bay is always 2-3 years behind from a fashion perspective.

I really wish Calgary got a Simons...
Simons is also a fantastic store. They really are the only option of a Canadian retailer that could go head to head with Nordstrom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plus15 View Post
The Sears space is 170,000 square feet and Nordstrom is only taking 140,000. The remaining space will most likely be turned into a larger forecourt area inside with approximately 25,000 square feet of space for new retailers. J Crew, Pottery Barn Kids, Ann Taylor and other new to Canada stores will easily fill up the remaining space.

I expect to see Cadillac Fairview create a new focal courtyard at the Nordstrom entrance, similar to the chandelier atrium in the recent expansion. This would allow for the typical Espresso bar Nordstrom is known to place at the entrances to its stores.
This will really be an amazing addition to Chinook!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 5:05 PM
not a NIMBY

I wonder what is next for Chinook. Besides having new retailers move into existing spaces they must have plans for further expansions? Hotel? More offices? Condos? Parking?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I wonder what is next for Chinook. Besides having new retailers move into existing spaces they must have plans for further expansions? Hotel? More offices? Condos? Parking?
Offices and another expansion on the NE corner (possibly including getting rid of the Shell) are the most likely projects I've heard rumored.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 6:54 PM

the vancouver stores is getting a huge reno - outside cladding, breaking up the 600,000+ sq ft building into a mall expansion, nordstroms and office space, 2015 is even pretty ambitious for an opening when i think of the scope of the work needed

i suspect the chinook store is much easier to renovate and move right in

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
The Kal Tire in the SE corner must have a limited life span. I've heard rumour of mid-rise mixed use in that location. Not sure what direct relationship they would have with Chinook.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 11:02 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Chinook needs more and better dining options, in and out of the food court. Compare the food court at the Montreal Eaton Centre (the ONLY redeeming thing about a horribly dated, sad downtown mall) to anything in Calgary outside of the Core food court and it's just pathetic.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 11:14 PM
Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Chinook needs more and better dining options, in and out of the food court.
Yeah, I agree.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy