HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 5:55 AM

Finding the small truths and ‘weird layers’ of Vancouver

sounds like an interesting book to check out....

Finding the small truths and ‘weird layers’ of Vancouver

Imagine a city where people get paid to display election signs on their lawn. Such a scenario, as described in Zsuzsi Gartner’s short story Once, We Were Swedes, would have the potential (were it expanded to include federal elections) to transform the Vancouver neighbourhood where Gartner lives, where currently you’d be hard-pressed to find an election sign for a candidate other than a New Democrat. Welcome to Commercial Drive. And welcome to Better Living Through Plastic Explosives, Gartner’s new short story collection – very much grounded in her East Vancouver neighbourhood, with a hyperrealist twist.

“The city is organic to the stories, I would say, for a great many of these,” Gartner says in one of the many coffee shops dotting the Drive, as it’s known to locals. “It’s inextricable.”

With one exception, each story is set on the West Coast -- most of them in or just outside Vancouver -- and so are rooted in the truths and little details of the city: almost-suburban North Vancouver cul-de-sacs backing onto forested areas; White Spot French fries; hipsters tacking up posters on Commercial Drive telephone polls.

“I’ve become less frustrated with Vancouver,” says Gartner, 50, who has lived in the city for 20 years (she was born in Winnipeg, grew up in Calgary and has also lived in Toronto and Ottawa). “The city really lends itself to this kind of examination because of all the weird layers.”

Gartner deals with the truths of Vancouver living through implausibility. The city’s obsession with real estate – and real estate’s impact on nature – are satirized with a monster-house-swallowing mountain. Gartner nods to the city’s history with eco-terrorism by creating a support group for recovering terrorists. There’s also a kidnapping marmot mascot, which Gartner is quick to point out she came up with before VANOC ever introduced Mukmuk, the Olympic mascot sidekick modelled on the endangered Vancouver Island marmot.

“When they actually picked the marmot ... I was thinking people are not going to realize how unbelievably prescient I was,” she says.

Eleven minutes into the interview, though, Gartner changes the subject away from Vancouver: “You haven’t asked the why 12 years question.”

Gartner’s debut short story collection, All the Anxious Girls on Earth, was published in 1999 – to great acclaim. Better Living is her follow-up, yes, a dozen years later.

The short version of the answer is: It’s complicated. It involved the birth of her son Dexter a few months after Anxious Girls came out, and later the diagnosis and treatment for a severe anxiety disorder.

“I was doing a real face plant, with issues around food phobias and around the safety of my child that got really, really, really bad until it reached a nadir and I had to get help and deal with it.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1997972/

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 2:40 PM
Bridge Walker!

I guess but all that article does is indicate that an east-side activist had a mental breakdown after the birth of her child. It doesn't tell us how it's relevant to Vancouver.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkelley View Post
I guess but all that article does is indicate that an east-side activist had a mental breakdown after the birth of her child. It doesn't tell us how it's relevant to Vancouver.
No kidding. Isn't an east-side activist with a mental breakdown somewhat redundant in this city?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 5:35 PM

Would it be funny if she had had cancer? The lady suffered from a
disease and for you it is fodder for your demeaning caricaturization of others?

Thankfully, having to deal with a mental illness is neatly relegated to leftist freaks, eh? /s

How is a book filled with short stories about life in Vancouver not relevant to Vancouver?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 8:28 PM

I think it's essential here to disassociate - as much as possible - the two issues of the mental illness and depression the author suffered, and her images and perceptions of Vancouver. It is important to remember that these are two different things.

Focusing on the positive aspect for a moment, I would very much like to read some of her work.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 8:28 PM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Would it be funny if she had had cancer? The lady suffered from a
disease and for you it is fodder for your demeaning caricaturization of others?

Thankfully, having to deal with a mental illness is neatly relegated to leftist freaks, eh? /s

How is a book filled with short stories about life in Vancouver not relevant to Vancouver?
Wow, that's some chip you have on your shoulder there. What's the problem, been reading the real estate thread?

What I wrote is that the article doesn't explain how its relevant to Vancouver.

Please pay more attention.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 8:46 PM

I would appreciate it if the moderators did something about your personal attacks against me, which have nothing to do with the conversation at hand.

I don't come here to have someone act like their superior because they own a condo and I don't. Nor should that be brought up in discussions which have absolutely nothing to do with any of that. All that you are doing is bringing into question you're own character.

If you felt attacked by my simple question directed towards what you had posted, I don't particularly understand why. My complaint about the caricaturization had nothing to even do with you, as it was related to s211's post.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 10:27 PM
Bridge Walker!

^^
Geez, you sound kinda sad.

Here's a suggestion: For your own mental health, please don't respond to my posts (like you said you were going to, remember?). In fact don't even read them.

Sorry but I just don't see you as the victim here.

Last edited by ckkelley; Apr 26, 2011 at 11:01 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 1:16 AM

All I did was ask why the article wasn't relevant.... I'm sorry that you are so thin-skinned that you have to retaliate with childish insults against something as inoffensive as that.

And yes, it is once again time to ignore you.

Last edited by dreambrother808; Apr 27, 2011 at 1:28 AM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 1:28 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I don't see the relevance of this thread, there are thousands of books about Vancouver and the exert posted doesn't do anything to sell me about it's relevance to urban or skyscraper issues. The book could in fact be very interesting, as far as I'm concerned, the exert doesn't show anything that warrants this having it's own thread. Seeing how this thread is going I'm going to close this.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion