HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Aquilini Centre South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 4:06 AM

Rogers Arena Complex | 104m, 100m, 97m | U/C & Proposed

If anybody has more info on this proposal, like city reports and the height, that would be great!

New office tower to adjoin GM Place
Businesses hope location will help lure the best employees with Canucks perks

Bruce Constantineau, Vancouver Sun
Published: Saturday, August 18, 2007

GM Place owners plan to build a 22-storey office tower that will connect to the arena's northwest corner, Vancouver Arena Limited Partnership announced Friday.

A formal application has been submitted to the City of Vancouver for permission to build a 312,000-square-foot building designed by architect Peter Busby.

Busby said the building will become a signature Vancouver office tower because of its design and plans to make it among the most energy-efficient commercial buildings in North America.

Sustainable features will include using "energy synergies" between GM Place and the connecting office tower. Heating and cooling systems between the two buildings will work together so waste heat from one building will be used to heat the other.

Part of GM Place's underground parking, which is used mostly at night, will be used for the new office tower.

Vancouver Canucks chief executive officer Chris Zimmerman, who was uncertain about the project's cost and potential opening date, said the new building will enhance the fan experience by providing new amenities like restaurants and retail shops.

He noted office tower tenants will be able to walk from their lobby straight onto the concourse level of GM Place for hockey games or concerts.

"We always want to have more concourse space because it gives us the opportunity to create more food and beverage options," Zimmerman said in an interview. "It will allow for better flow throughout the arena."

He expects the new tower will attract a lot of potential new tenants who will enjoy the unique opportunity to be directly linked with an NHL venue.

"In a highly competitive job market, I think it gives the primary tenants some wonderful recruiting tools," Zimmerman said. "We'll be able to provide some unique benefits around utilization of the building, the ice surface and probably some inside access to certain team events. It will be a great way for companies to differentiate themselves."

He said the current high demand for Vancouver office space makes it an ideal time to build the new tower. The downtown Vancouver office space vacancy rate is currently at an all-time low of 3.5 per cent, according to CB Richard Ellis Ltd.

bconstantineau@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2007

It'll be interesting to see how it'll fit in with the arena.

Last edited by mr.x; Apr 13, 2008 at 4:01 AM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 4:07 AM

Zimmerman: Tower won't harm 2010 hockey plans
By BOB MACKIN, 24 HOURS

Even if Vancouver city hall approves the proposed General Motors Place office tower, it won't be finished before the 2010 Winter Olympics.

But the president of arena operator Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment says the 22-storey building's construction won't harm plans for the men's Olympic hockey tournament.

"The ultimate goal and the current timing would be that the exterior of the building would be completed before the Olympics begin, with actual full occupancy of the building in late 2010," Chris Zimmerman said.

"All of the design is being done to make sure that there are no negative impacts on the operations of the arena."

Aquilini Investment Group, which owns GM Place and the Vancouver Canucks, wants to build the tower at the corner of Griffiths Way and Expo Boulevard over the ground level broadcast and service bays. Zimmerman said the tower's design would not impede access. "That's obviously the lifeblood of the arena," he said.

The proposal is on the Oct. 9 city hall development permit board agenda, but the meeting may be postponed by the ongoing civic workers' strike.

Zimmerman said some lower floors could be ready in time for the Games.

"There may be a benefit to VANOC in terms of providing the exclusive operating space necessary to meet some of our internal office space requirements," said Guy Lodge, Vancouver 2010's vice-president of services and overlay.

VANOC paid $18.9 million for GM Place improvements and is paying almost $4 million more in rent for 36 days in 2010. The organizing committee expects to gain $70 million in ticketing revenues from the venue.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 4:17 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I want to see what that place will look like after the construciton. I mean the area looks so busy with the GM Place, BC Place, viaducts, TV Towers... and then now one more office tower. It's quite amazing what they can do with that small amount of space.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 6:22 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I beleive I posted all the details on the tower in the old Vancouver construction thread, it would've been a few months back, it would've had sqftage, probably height, and amount of floors.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 1:08 AM
+

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 4, 2022 at 4:04 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 5:38 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

To honour him when he retires, they should build a giant statue of Trevor Linden that doubles as an office tower. They could add Luongo later as well.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 7:00 AM
Dérive-r

Ahem... it would appear that the rendering of the office tower has for some reason been replaced by a rendering of a 10 storey condo tower... the one that is going up in Pitt Meadows I believe.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
Ahem... it would appear that the rendering of the office tower has for some reason been replaced by a rendering of a 10 storey condo tower... the one that is going up in Pitt Meadows I believe.
don't look at me.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 3:20 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

I liked the old design better.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 4:01 AM

what is this?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 9:04 AM

^raggedy is right that is half of a project that is going up in pitt meadows. that is definitely not a new rendering for this project.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 10:15 AM
See ya down under, mates

I walk through the parking lot every day where the proposed tower would be and it's in none of those pics. It's the tiny one across from Costco and I have a lot of trouble imagining anything fitting there. It's like 20x40 feet, has like 10 parking spots max. But then again I couldn't believe they fit GM Place between the viaducts.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 6:39 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Your numbers are off, although it looks tiny, it is actually 9900sqft at ground level, could easily be over 10000sqft once it clears the concourse level. While not large by office tower standards it will be quite a sizable addition even with only 23 floors.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 11:06 PM

here's the rendering that was in the paper. doesn't look like 22 storeys though.. i count 17

i did this really quick to show what 22 storeys looks like

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 12:00 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

That rendering shows 17 stories above the concourse level. The address is 800 Griffiths Way, meaning you'd need to start counting from the bottom level, probably 5 stories below.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 12:10 AM

Here's a different rendering of the tower:
http://www.westerninvestor.com/articles/articlesBC.html

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 12:14 AM
+

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 4, 2022 at 4:04 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 12:57 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

nice

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 9:03 PM

Not bad - it'll definitely improve the view at that corner of GM Place when driving over the viaduct.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 5:47 AM
Dérive-r

I came across this older pic of mine (from March?) that shows a bit of the site. Anybody know if there are plans for any retail at the base that could potentially compliment the Costco?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver