HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 5:53 PM

It does not bug me that people get upset about projects thats fine what i can't stand is when some people get up set they make it seem that everyone is upset.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 2:55 AM
Awesome!

Wow he is really obsessed now with the terms "an angry city".
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 3:10 AM

My idea for a Bank Street redevelopment - and one BIA thought - could really get him agitated.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 4:08 AM

Gray is simply doing what is most expedient from a professional, financial perspective -- carving out a niche for himself as a cranky curmudgeon cum lightning rod of righteous middle-brow indignation ("I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this any more!!") and, with that publishable raison d'etre well established, he makes himself 'indispensable' (read 'employed').

The frustrating thing about this kind of reactionary circus journalism is that he doesn't have to be accurate or logical, he just has to incite. And he does it so well.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 5:13 AM

How dare you sully the memory of Howard Beale and the wonderful film Network!

If that were true I'd actually respect him more than I do now thinking he's just a NIMBY. If that were true...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 5:58 AM

You can thank Ken and his cronies for this wonderfulness:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...371/story.html

Now we've got the elderly creator of outside the greenbelt sprawl raising money to fight change city-wide! More suburbs, less city! Low density, better lives, greener everything, la la la....

God help us...just when you think an annoying movement is dying, a dinosaur has to light another spark...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
You can thank Ken and his cronies for this wonderfulness:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...371/story.html

Now we've got the elderly creator of outside the greenbelt sprawl raising money to fight change city-wide! More suburbs, less city! Low density, better lives, greener everything, la la la....

God help us...just when you think an annoying movement is dying, a dinosaur has to light another spark...
I was never a real big fan of the community design plans but i think now more then ever there needed that way you can tell citizens who live in areas that are set to zone buildings for say 20 floors if citizens complained you can say you wanted the plans and developers are going by it so you have no right to complain.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen j View Post
carving out a niche for himself as a cranky curmudgeon cum lightning rod of righteous middle-brow indignation ("I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this any more!!") and, with that publishable raison d'etre well established, he makes himself 'indispensable' (read 'employed').

The frustrating thing about this kind of reactionary circus journalism is that he doesn't have to be accurate or logical, he just has to incite. And he does it so well.
Who knew that Lowell Green would have competition in Ottawa?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 1:01 PM
National Capital Region

Good luck taking this to the Supreme Court...

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 4:50 AM

I am starting to get a little worried about the damage that Ken Gray could cause. As the rhetoric from his blog rises, I have started to think that he may decide to run for city council, or at least encourage a slew of anti-development candidates to run in the next municipal vote.

Voter turnout in municipal elections is notoriously low. As such, if a group of focussed citizens decide to take an issue on, then they can get a lot of traction. My worry is that Grey and his NIMBY brigade will decide to make anti-development the cause celebre of the next municipal election. Can you imagine a city council with Coun. Gray, the return of Clive Doucet, and Diane Holmes leading the charge against every construction project in the city?

I really want to see densification succeed in Ottawa. But if Mayor Watson, Peter Hume and the rest of council aren't careful, they may create a NIMBY backlash that could cause serious damage to the city.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepean View Post
I am starting to get a little worried about the damage that Ken Gray could cause. As the rhetoric from his blog rises, I have started to think that he may decide to run for city council, or at least encourage a slew of anti-development candidates to run in the next municipal vote.

Voter turnout in municipal elections is notoriously low. As such, if a group of focussed citizens decide to take an issue on, then they can get a lot of traction. My worry is that Grey and his NIMBY brigade will decide to make anti-development the cause celebre of the next municipal election. Can you imagine a city council with Coun. Gray, the return of Clive Doucet, and Diane Holmes leading the charge against every construction project in the city?

I really want to see densification succeed in Ottawa. But if Mayor Watson, Peter Hume and the rest of council aren't careful, they may create a NIMBY backlash that could cause serious damage to the city.
As for anti development people running for council sure its possible but they would have to have a plan where they would get the extra funds that developement brings in it aslo could mean major cuts to programs and selling off of parks etc to help raise funds.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 5:33 PM
Awesome!

Looks like there won't be any go-kart track in the Bank and Heron area.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...art-bylaw.html
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 5:36 PM
Awesome!

The latest two "An angry city" posts. Maybe Gray should renamed the blog like this.

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2011/...an-angry-city/

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2011/...an-angry-city/

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 5:40 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen j View Post
Gray is simply doing what is most expedient from a professional, financial perspective -- carving out a niche for himself as a cranky curmudgeon cum lightning rod of righteous middle-brow indignation ("I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this any more!!") and, with that publishable raison d'etre well established, he makes himself 'indispensable' (read 'employed').

Yep definitely an angry blogger. Actually, the blog should be named an angry blogger instead.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 6:41 PM

Now he's posting Friends of Lansdowne rants after spending months pushing for Lansdowne? Anything to forward his BANANA agenda.
I agree that this new 'official' direction of Ken's blog gives too much of a stage for people's complaints. It's the last thing this city needs at this critical point - for the most part, people are sick to death of the rampant NIMBYism and hypocracy, and just when you would think it would start to die out, KGrey gives a big microphone to everyone who wants a street light in front of their house and property rights of their neighbour's land.

Then you've got SUBURBAN DEVELOPER Bill Teron financing FOL and writing of the perils of high-density housing not built by him. Take your money and retire, Bill, you've done enough to cost the city and its taxpayers money.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 5:14 PM
Awesome!

Ken Gray is back with his "extremification" nonsense. So now he calls replacing one home with units "extremification" judging by this piece.

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012/01/10/51954/

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Ken Gray is back with his "extremification" nonsense. So now he calls replacing one home with units "extremification" judging by this piece.

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012/01/10/51954/
While I sort of feel sorry for the old lady (it was her house, if she didn't want it torn down that was her business), she certainly could have had her lawyer attach restrictions to the property, or had her real estate agent attach conditions to the sale. Of course, it probably would have knocked a significant chunk off her sale price.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 7:18 PM

That story is ridiculous - it's a double lot with a tiny house on it! And she chose to sell! And made big, big bucks off it!

More proof that Ken likes to talk about 'sensible intensification', but opposes the slightest change in real life. If it had been a triplex or two units, he'd still probably be screaming extremification.

Clearly he wants a neighbourhood where nothing changes, and people live in old, cramped $1.3 million houses that no one could ever afford to buy. Yeah, sounds like a real diverse, sustainable city he's planning there.

Hypocrite.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 7:38 PM

S-man wrote:

Quote:
That story is ridiculous - it's a double lot with a tiny house on it! And she chose to sell! And made big, big bucks off it!
Really big bucks. Hard to beleive it is worth that much--and it probably would not be if developers were not after that piece of land.

Gray is no longer on the Citizen editorial board and I guess it shows. The Citizen ran an editorial with a view directly opposite of Gray's on the issue of this property.

for the Record--here is that editorial

Quote:
Intensification is a fact of life

The Ottawa CitizenJanuary 10, 2012

The intensification of Ottawa’s established neighbourhoods in recent years has been good for the city and even better for those particular neighbourhoods. The proof is in skyrocketing property values.

So it is somewhat rich to see homeowners determined that, somehow, their own property will never be intensified — even after they have sold it for an eye-popping profit. Not only is that a futile wish — it is up to the new owners, within city zoning regulations, to determine what to do with it — but it is misguided.

The very reason properties in neighbourhoods such as Old Ottawa South, the Glebe and Westboro are so valuable is because they can be successfully intensified.

The Citizen reported this week on the case of former homeowners in Old Ottawa South who were horrified to learn their former house on a 81-by-80-foot double lot was being torn down to make way for a development of semis. The new owners are applying for permission to split the two lots into four.

The previous owners said they went out of their way to sell the house to new owners who would live in it just the way they had for decades — as a single family home.

They saw it as a legacy to the neighbourhood they had loved so much.

In the end, they sold their 1,200-square-foot house for more than a million dollars (they paid $12,300 for it in 1945) to someone they believed would keep it as a single family home but, it turned out, had other plans.

It is understandable that homeowners would be nostalgic about what becomes of their own home and neighbourhood, even after they no longer live there.

But such nostalgia ignores the fact that Ottawa is different than it was 50 years ago when the city’s neighbourhoods were a sea of mainly single-family homes surrounding a more dense centre. The population is bigger, for one, and more people prefer to live in something other than a single-family home, which is easier on the environment as it helps to cut down urban sprawl. Nor could many people afford to spend more than $1 million on a 1,200-foot home.

While some clumsy infill developments in the city have given the practice a bad name, there’s no reason the development of four low-rise units can’t be done in a tasteful and attractive way.

Screening potential buyers to keep out developers is really just another form of keeping out people who are different — condo dwellers, for example. Whether you call it Not in My Backyard or Not My Kind of People, it is not necessarily the best thing for our neighbourhoods.

Ottawa Citizen

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 12:54 AM
National Capital Region

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues