HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 7:52 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by squintstopher View Post
I tend to agree with the environmental groups on this. Do carpool lanes change the way people drive? I really don't think so. And seriously... they're adding another lane and hoping that traffic will decrease or something? Sounds like flawed logic to me. The money, and perhaps the right-of-way, ought to go towards mass transit. Double track the light rail to folsom or add a dedicated bus rapid transit lane!
That's exactly why the CEQA lawsuit is going forth: Caltrans claims that traffic will decrease, or at worst not change, if they add an extra lane and extra drop ramps. They also claim that pollution and surface street traffic will be completely unaffected.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 6:06 PM
Hindrance to Development

Bikes and trains, two of my favorite parts of the transportation mix...good to know the bike trail is open once again.

Quote:
Bike trail whole again after fire
Published 12:00 am PDT Friday, July 27, 2007
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B2

Print | E-Mail | Comments (4)| Digg it | del.icio.us

SACRAMENTO -- Four months after a massive railroad trestle fire closed a stretch of the American River Parkway, a section of bike trail reopened Thursday.

Union Pacific won raves for how quickly it replaced the bridge near Cal Expo. Repairing the half-mile section of bike trail has been another matter. Bicycle commuters and pedestrians have been forced to take a detour since the March 15 fire.

"It has been quite a while that trail users have been inconvenienced. We're just glad that it's finally completed," said Dave Lydick, deputy director of the county parks department.

He acknowledged the fix took a bit longer than some had hoped. While rules were waived to speed the track reconstruction, fire cleanup and trail repaving required permits and authorization from several state agencies, Lydick said.

Additionally, 14,000 cubic yards of soil with fire debris needed to be removed and replaced with clean soil, he said.

Lydick said there is some work still to be done -- the de-composed granite shoulders still need to be added -- but with the paving done, there was no reason to keep the trail closed.

-- Ed Fletcher

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 6:24 PM

one less freeway in midtown!

I don't know if anyone's noticed but 19th st. has finally been converted from three lanes to two lanes with added bike lanes on each side. this finally gives bikers a convenient north-south route in Midtown. this also moves traffic further away from the sidewalks making the whole stretch more pedestrian-friendly. the next conversion should be 21st st.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 7:04 PM
Hindrance to Development

greenmidtown: That's the plan. Eventually both streets will be two-way instead of one-way, too. It's a "road diet" that is a long time in coming!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 7:10 PM
my posse's on broadway

Freeport and 21st, south of Broadway, will begin two-way conversion next month. Everything should be completed by November or December, with the most complex portion being the intersection next to the 4th Ave. lightrail station.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 2:52 AM

Streetcar news (and a website that I hadn't seen before):

Quote:
Meetings on proposed streetcar scheduled
Sacramento Business Journal - 1:22 PM PDT Tuesday, August 21, 2007
by Melanie Turner
Staff writer

Two public scoping meetings for the proposed construction of a streetcar system connecting downtown Sacramento and West Sacramento are set for Sept. 12 and 13.

The city of West Sacramento, in coordination with the city of Sacramento, Sacramento Regional Transit and Yolo County Transportation District, has scheduled the meetings to receive public comments on the proposed project. Officials also will review the scope and focus on the project's environmental impact analysis, and information to be contained in a draft environmental impact report.
Click here to find out more!

The first meeting is from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Sept. 12 at California State Association of Counties, 1020 11th St., Sacramento. The second meeting is from 2 to 4 p.m. Sept. 13 at the West Sacramento Civic Center, 1110 W. Capitol Ave.

A comment period began Aug. 22 and runs through Sept. 26. For more information, go to www.riverfrontstreetcar.com.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 3:18 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Capital rides second class on train plan
Some upset as high-speed rail proposal calls for adding city only after L.A.-S.F. line is built.
By Tony Bizjak - Bee Staff Writer
Last Updated 12:08 am PDT Friday, September 21, 2007
Story appeared in MAIN NEWS section, Page A16

Print | E-Mail | Comments (4)| Digg it | del.icio.us

Bob Bentz lives in Stockton, has an office in Sacramento, and spends way too much time on the road between the two.

It stuns him, he says, that plans for California's high-speed rail -- its bullet train -- relegate Sacramento to second-string status: It's to be added only after an initial line between San Francisco and Los Angeles earns enough money to pay for expansion of the system.

"Why isn't Sacramento a designated anchor point right away?" Bentz asked this week at bullet-train debate in Stockton. "It's a natural. ... It happens to be the state capital."

Bentz's comments are among the questions, doubts, and concerns rebounding around California in recent weeks amid a high-stakes battle over how far the initial line should travel up the Central Valley before kicking west into the Bay Area.

Bentz is hardly alone in wondering when the bullet train will make it to Sacramento, or whether California's train-of-the-future will ever actually roll.

There are Californians who say the dream of electrified trains speeding across the state in 2 1/2 hours is just that, a dream -- too expensive and impractical to be built by a state government that can't even fill the potholes.

Twice already, in 2004 and 2006, the Legislature has postponed a $10 billion ballot measure that would allow voters to kick-start construction.

That measure is scheduled again for next year's ballot, but remains again at the whim of a governor and a Legislature dealing with a budget shortfall.

Yet, the push for high-speed rail remains strong, especially among local leaders around the state with visions of trains bringing economic salvation to their communities -- and a quick ride to Disneyland.

The state, through its High Speed Rail Authority, has spent 10 years and $40 million planning the bullet train, and is about to make a critical routing decision with ramifications for many Northern California cities.
Within weeks, the authority board is expected to decide where trains will exit the Central Valley to head into the Bay Area.

The decision, some in Sacramento contend, could affect when -- even whether -- high-speed trains come to Sacramento. Rail advocates here lament that few Sacramento leaders seem to care.

To the south, however, the routing debate is hot.

San Francisco and San Jose officials want the train to angle out of the Valley near Merced, burrowing through Pacheco Pass so it can roll into San Jose, where it would connect with the Caltrain commuter line to San Francisco.

That alignment is challenged by some San Joaquin County and East Bay groups who say trains should come farther north to Tracy, then head west through more populated areas along Altamont Pass into the East Bay.

A possible compromise, albeit more expensive, is a main line through Pacheco Pass and a secondary route over Altamont.

At the request of a few Sacramento-area rail advocates, state officials have scheduled a last-minute hearing on the matter in Sacramento on Sept. 26 to gather more public opinion before the routing decision.

One advocate, Rich Tolmach of the Train Riders Association of California, contends the moment is crucial for Sacramento.If the trains take the more southerly Pacheco Pass, he says, the distance from there to Sacramento could be too costly for an extension.

"Nobody is advocating for Sacramento," he lamented. "We get permanently shafted. High-speed rail won't happen here."

But High Speed Rail Authority Executive Director Mehdi Morshed says Sacramento is in no such predicament.

Morshed said the Sacramento extension will get built, although not until several years after the Los Angeles to San Francisco line is up and running.

Morshed said economic analysis indicates the L.A. to S.F. line will turn a profit. Those revenues will be used to extend the system to Sacramento and San Diego.

State Sen. Darrell Steinberg, Sacramento's most prominent high-speed rail supporter, said he hopes Morshed is right.

"I do worry," the Democrat said. "I wish Sacramento were part of the first phase. ... As the decades progress, I believe this will be more of a necessity than it is perceived now. When we look at the growth in population and congestion, and the demand for travel, this is an absolutely amazing vision."

His real concern, he said, is not about routing through Altamont or Pacheco, it's whether the governor and Legislature will allow the bond measure to go on the 2008 ballot.

Assemblyman Roger Niello, R-Fair Oaks, takes a dim view of the idea.

"I personally think high-speed rail is unaffordable and isn't worth the investment," he said. "I'm very doubtful that it will cover itself operationally."

Assemblyman Dave Jones, D-Sacramento, called high-speed rail "a wonderful dream," and said he prefers the Altamont route. But, he said, the more immediate transit need is more funding for Capital Corridor trains that run from Auburn through Sacramento to the East Bay, as well as Regional Transit's bus and light-rail system.

"We have limited resources," Jones said. "My focus is on what we can do to augment RT and the Capital Corridor, which have a proven track record."

Congresswoman Doris Matsui, D-Sacramento, did not respond to a Bee request to discuss the train. High-speed rail officials say congressional financial support is needed to build the line.

However, Capital Corridor train system manager Gene Skoropowski said he is rooting "unabashedly" for high-speed rail, and says it should complement his service.

Skoropowski favors building the system across the Pacheco and Altamont passes.
A high-speed rail train connecting Sacramento to the Bay Area through the Altamont Pass likely would be faster than his trains, which travel the Interstate 80 corridor.

Skoropowski acknowledged that would mean the loss of some riders but said it would be more than compensated by additional riders using his line to connect with the bullet train in Sacramento or the Bay Area.

Moreover, he said, the state's $10 billion bullet-train bond measure includes money for Capital Corridor and other regional rail systems.

In Stockton, commuter Bentz has his fingers crossed. He sees high-speed rail as freedom from congested freeways.

"I imagine my wife and I packing a bag and visiting friends in L.A. for the day, maybe staying over, or not," he said, "or running to the jazz festival in Sacramento. Whatever pleases us."

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 3:25 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

I believe Steinberg is not a true advocate for Sacramento high-rail enthusiasts because his constituents include a large number of Nimbys and anti-development folks.

Nimbys and anti-development folks to not want any new transportation infrastructure because to them any development means our population will increase and they don’t want that.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 3:53 PM
Kodachrome

Yup, Sacramento’s sure getting the short end of the stick... not even our
State elected officials are pulling for the idea. Another reason why most
people in the region will vote no if it ever comes to a vote. Second-string status sucks!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 6:12 PM
Hindrance to Development

um, no, briansac, I think you have very much the wrong idea. Just about everyone I know in the local preservation community is a strong advocate of public and alternative transit of all sorts, including high-speed rail.

The local electeds (Steinberg and Jones) are strong transit advocates, and Doris Matsui spoke quite eloquently at the 20th anniversary of Light Rail celebrations last week about the importance of rail transit. I can see where Jones is coming from as a pragmatic point of view: the more we can add Capitol Corridor service and encourage its use, the more people realize the importance of rail transit. Steinberg is hoping that the initial line between the admittedly bigger population centers will spur future expansion. In neither case are they even suggesting that they oppose the idea.

The anti-rail folks tend to be the ones out in the suburbs and exurbs, who like highways and oppose rail transit because they feel it will bring "unwanted elements" (people who aren't rich and white) to their communities. Thus, the opposition from Roger Niello of Fair Oaks. Not the same folks, in other words, any more than most of the folks who post here, generally "pro-development," greatly favor continuing to expand suburbs into farmland.

The problem is that we're just plain outweighed by the Bay Area and Los Angeles in this process, and in their minds we're still a backwater. They do have numbers on their side, and thus votes.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 7:26 PM

If this somehow ever gets approved without running through Sacramento (in the first phase) im going to spend my life savings tieing this up in courts for decades. I will make sure the state goes broke in litigation. I will single handedly put the entire state in a resssesion for being so stupid.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The anti-rail folks tend to be the ones out in the suburbs and exurbs, who like highways and oppose rail transit because they feel it will bring "unwanted elements" (people who aren't rich and white) to their communities. Thus, the opposition from Roger Niello of Fair Oaks. Not the same folks, in other words, any more than most of the folks who post here, generally "pro-development," greatly favor continuing to expand suburbs into farmland.
Yeah, it could be that they are racists who hate poor people. Or, it could be they do not want to add 10 billion+ in state responsibilities.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 7:39 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
Or, it could be they do not want to add 10 billion+ in state responsibilities.
Bingo... I think if HSR ever gets going, the final cost of building it out will be closer to $80 billion.

State projects ALWAYS go over budget. It will make the Big-Dig in Boston look like a bargin.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 8:40 PM
Hindrance to Development

While I'd like to see high speed rail go in, I wouldn't mind seeing our regular-speed rail improved: there is a serious need for separate right-of-way for Capitol Corridor and other commuter trains, and it would be nice if there was more than one direct rail link between Sacramento and Los Angeles.

Right now there's the Coast Starlight, usually 4-12 hours late thanks to UP, that runs once a day and takes 12-16 hours from Sacramento to Los Angeles. The other route is the San Joaquin, which is a bus line from Bakersfield to Los Angeles.

snefnoc: If they applied this methodology solely to high-speed rail, I might buy that. But since they oppose light rail and buses with equal vehemence, I'm going to go with the "racists who hate poor people" theory.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 9:03 PM

Anybody want to join me in tieing this thing up in court? I am 100% serious and will put my money where my mouth is.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 9:17 PM

wburg, consistently opposing public transportation is not proof of racism. Take your head out of your ___.

Although I cannot speak for everyone on the Right, I certainly can speak for myself. I'm not a big fan of public transportation. I prefer using my car, my bike or my legs. There is something very freeing about being on my own schedule and going exactly where I want to go. Giving control (total or partial) of my movement to the governement makes me very uneasy. Plus, public transportation is very expensive and competes with other transportation areas. Honestly, I would rather have money going to improve roads than expanding bus and light rail lines, which only seem to the scratch the surface of the the traffic problem. A lot of people (including me from time to time) may use light rail, but it still seems like nothing more than a novelty. I suppose better funded rail systems in Chicago, NY and other cities mitigate things quite a bit more (proportionately), but still, I just don't think it's the government's job to fund these kinds of things. To be perfectly honest, I would prefer roads be privately funded. I know, I know, spare me the "That's impossible" lecture.

Anyway, I think the Right's opposition to public transportation has more to do with a belief in limited government than your wacko theory.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 10:16 PM
Hindrance to Development

snefnoc: On some levels I'm being facetious, but I do consider "white flight" to be one of the most important motivating factors in American urban development over the past century. I put it bluntly because, well, I tend to be a blunt kind of guy. It's not proof of racism, but it tends to be a common argument, usually couched in terms like "it will bring crime and lower property values."

I'm quite familiar with the idea of privatized roads. Believe it or not, I was a Libertarian Party member for a while (well, a month) and grew up reading Ayn Rand, Heinlein, L. Neil Smith, Claire Wolfe, and other libertarian thinkers.

Even though it seems alien to people now, until roughly the 1950s most forms of "public transportation" were owned and operated by private industries: railroads, streetcars, buses, etcetera. PG&E owned our main streetcar system, which included PG&E owned buses after 1929; CCT and SN, the electric interurbans that served Sacramento, provided streetcar service as a condition of their street operation in the city. They also paid for the upkeep of the right-of-way where they ran.

One bit of reading (brief) I'd recommend: "A Conservative Vision Of Tomorrow's Urban Transportation" by Paul M. Weyrich and William S. Lind.

http://www.apta.com/research/info/online/weyrich.cfm

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 10:31 PM
Repeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
snefnoc: If they applied this methodology solely to high-speed rail, I might buy that. But since they oppose light rail and buses with equal vehemence, I'm going to go with the "racists who hate poor people" theory.
Perhaps our local government should attempt to reduce crime, make the bus/light rail routes more convenient, and not charge a ridiculous amount of money for a subpar service? I have no doubt that some people don't want transit in their neighborhoods because of racism, but to blame it solely on that minority is a horrible argument. RT, like the rest of leadership in this city, needs vast improvement before more people will agree to fund future expansions of its service.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 10:40 PM

Fair enough. I apologize for implying you are a wacko (although I still kinda think you are) and for telling you to remove your head from your ___.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 10:55 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusey View Post
Perhaps our local government should attempt to reduce crime, make the bus/light rail routes more convenient, and not charge a ridiculous amount of money for a subpar service? I have no doubt that some people don't want transit in their neighborhoods because of racism, but to blame it solely on that minority is a horrible argument. RT, like the rest of leadership in this city, needs vast improvement before more people will agree to fund future expansions of its service.
All of those sound like great ideas, fusey, but they require funding, and right now that means public funding. Unfortunately, the funds have to come before the improvements.

snefnoc: Thank you. I know I can get off-kilter too, and appreciate your civilty. I'll try to be mindful of my own remarks and return the favor. It may not seem like it, but part of why I enjoy this forum is because I like soliciting the opinions of those who don't agree with me--it challenges me to think, and sometimes reconsider my own assumptions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area