HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:39 PM

I'm for a variety too, just not the 5-6 story kind. The alexan and whatever gets built by ohsu will help create different levels that are needed. I would have everything built down there be a min of 14-15 stories.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 9:31 PM

I'm with you pdxman. I'm not down with two rows, one with 325' and one with 250', but I do have a problem with a cluster of 250'-325' towers and than a bunch of 75'.

And sure, Zilfondel, I get the affordable housing component but from my understanding Block 46 isn't even going to be 'affordable'. What I'm worried about, and why I am referencing the Pearl is the 10th and Hoyt/Lexis type developments. Which are fine in the Pearl, but aren't what I would consider exciting, nor could I see them sitting next to a 325' glassy tower...well, soon enough I will, I guess.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 9:42 PM

A special on sustainable development in cities focused mostly on portland. It aired on the sundance channel and you can buy the episode on itunes for 2 bucks. I bought it and it was worth it. They spent a lot of time talking to one of the developers of sowa, and there was a section on "guirella gardeners" in portland. very cool, you should check it out: http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite...9yjmxEqrk5gu4g
anyone have any news about sowa?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 10:22 PM

John Ross I heard a pizza place is going into retail c

atwater it looks like there is a riverfront property in this one

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 10:40 PM

I might just have to go to that presentation. Hopefully they'll have some prelim site plans or renderings.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 7:05 PM

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 6:30 PM

They have started excavation at Block 46.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 7:12 PM

good news! do we have a final rendering for b46 yet?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 10:28 PM

Car lifts reflect elevation of local real estate prices
Portland Business Journal - June 29, 2007
by Wendy Culverwell
Business Journal staff writer

Phyllis and Ron Maynard retired a few years ago from a home in the Sylvan area to a condo in Portland's Riverplace district.

There was plenty of downsizing, but the couple balked at cutting back to a single car.

Phyllis, who retired from the Portland Public Schools, and Ron, who retired from the city, felt they each needed a vehicle -- a BMW wagon for her and a Porsche roadster for him.

Parking was a sticky proposition until earlier this year, when they moved to The Strand, a new riverfront project by developer Jack Onder.

The Maynards moved to The Strand because they wanted steel and concrete construction instead of the wood frame variety of their former home. But it turned out the building offered something more: Portland's first mechanical parking lifts.

Onder Development installed German-made car lifts in about 30 parking spots that had enough headroom to accommodate vehicles parked double-decker style. The high-density parking arrangement complements the high-density living arrangements above and is yet another sign of the value of pressing every square inch of space into service.

Beth DuPont, a broker specializing in multifamily investment properties at Colliers International, said it's natural to start looking for ways to maximize space when real estate and parking are at a premium. Car lifts have been successful in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C., she said.

"It's a natural to come to Portland."

Klaus Parking Systems has installed its system in 88 West Coast locations, according to its regional representative, Norm Brudigan. Most are in and around the Bay Area, but there are a few noteworthy exceptions. In addition to The Strand, Klaus has put its lifts in condominium projects in Kansas City, Mo., and Seattle.

Brudigan said he's gotten lots of inquiries from the Northwest.

The technology is nothing new, which makes permitting relatively easy. Jeff Joslin, a land use manager for the city's Bureau of Development Services, said car lifts have a place in Portland and could be a meaningful addition to high-density projects if they are widely adopted.

Noting that parking garages are among the most costly and permanent structures built, he said it's surprising they didn't arrive earlier.

The Maynards said they initially balked at paying $28,000 to put a car lift in their one-car parking spot. They decided to go for it, treating it as both a convenience and an investment that could pay off handsomely if or when they sell their unit and can boast that it comes with parking for two vehicles.

Most of the time, the Porsche is parked on the lift and elevated over head, while the wagon is at the ready on ground level. The Maynards say they love having two parking spots and the convenience of parking both their cars a short elevator ride away from their home outweighs the inconvenience of having to coordinate who parks and when.

Ron Maynard said the elevated parking comes with another bonus. It puts his Porsche out of reach of other cars, protecting it from door dings and accidental bumps. The idea has clearly caught on, with sports cars and collector vehicles making up the majority of the population of elevated vehicles in The Strand's garage.

Onder, who has built luxurious condos all over Portland, said he first saw the Klaus parking lift system while visiting Chicago. He weighed bringing it home to Portland but didn't know if real estate was pricey enough to warrant the cost.

The Strand offered the perfect opportunity to find out if it was, he said.

The project consists of 189 condominiums and 27 townhouses in three towers. Most important, it occupies a sloping site bordering the Willamette River waterfront.

That sloping terrain means the floor of the underground parking garage rises and falls, creating areas inside where the ceiling is high enough to accommodate two vehicles stacked one over the other.

About 30 spots (out of 250) had sufficient clearance to allow cars to be stacked two high by way of an electric-powered hydraulic lift.

Had the garage been specially designed to accommodate the lifts, the cost would have been prohibitive, which is one reason they aren't part of Onder's other ongoing high-rise condominium project at the Uptown Shopping Center.

Lift-equipped parking spots have been a hit with Strand buyers, said Kathleen MacNaughton, principal broker for the project. The lifts are offered as an upgrade and as with condos, released for sale in batches.

Every one that has been offered has sold, she said.

wculverwell@bizjournals.com | 503-219-3415

http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 10:14 PM

I don't know if excavation has really started it looks like its still going through the approval process: http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...161808&c=42263

and theres a new small crane up at sowa, look to the right of the john ross its dark against the river, I have no idea what its for

Old Posted Jul 16, 2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall5505 View Post
I don't know if excavation has really started it looks like its still going through the approval process: http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...161808&c=42263
They were digging on the North side of the property. It could have something to do with some street utilities, or a partial excavation permit.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 10:31 PM

South Waterfront attracts Denver apartment builder
Portland Business Journal - 1:51 PM PDT Monday, July 23, 2007

Simpson Housing LLP will build a 270-unit apartment building on Block 46 in the South Waterfront district.

SHLP Block 46 LLC, a subsidiary of Denver-based Simpson Housing, bought the property from Williams and Dame Development, which is the lead developer for the South Waterfront district. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The project will be coordinated by Simpson Housing's Seattle office, which plans to develop the neighborhood's second market-rate apartment building. Trammell Crow Residential is constructing a luxury apartment building adjacent the district's central park.

Simpson has retained Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects to design its project, which calls for two six-story buildings with 270 units of housing and ground-floor retail space.

"We are pleased that Simpson Housing will be leading the development of market-rate apartments on this important block in the South Waterfront," said Homer Williams, chairman and founder of Williams and Dame.

Simpson Housing focuses on the luxury market on a national scale. It has more than 1,750 units in development on the West Coast.
http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 11:16 PM

^^^ Didn't we already know this? That article makes it sound way farther back in the process than I thought.

I heard a whisper that Trammell Crow is doing another apt tower on block 43 (next to the Alexan) and plans are well underway.

I like the idea of W&D selling off blocks in the River District. Anything to get a little more diversity down there, if not a better mix of height among the buildings.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 11:38 PM

do you know who is designing it?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 11:42 PM

I do but I'm not allowed to say. A firm with a solid reputation has inherited a pre-existing design.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 11:56 PM

can you tell me the approximate height/# of stories? at least tell me if it looks good or not

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 12:00 AM

I haven't seen the design yet, but my friend and source says they're working overtime to make it "look good". I believe it is the same height as the Alexan, or close. I'll try to wrest more info next time I see him.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 3:19 AM

sweet!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 3:45 PM

^^^Interesting...I figured as much though. When TC pulled out of the Oak Tower the said they were in essence hungry to build a second apartment tower, and looking into SoWa. I hope they get the second one up quicker than the Alexan took!

Developer to build apartment project
South Waterfront - Simpson Housing plans 270 units amid the condo towers as the rental market thrives
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
RYAN FRANK
The Oregonian

A Denver-based developer will build a 270-apartment project among South Waterfront's towering condos, another signal that Portland's robust rental market and sluggish condo sales are starting to reshape the city's housing mix.

Simpson Housing last week paid about $8 million to buy Block 46 from South Waterfront's lead developers, North Macadam Investors, said Homer Williams, who leads the North Macadam team.

Williams said they had explored apartments and smaller, less expensive condos at Block 46. Over the past few years, Williams' company has peppered the Willamette River bank with high-priced towers. But Block 46 is a good site for less pricey condos or apartments because it's a few blocks from the riverfront where the views are best and sales prices highest.

"We could have gone either way," Williams says. But staring at slumping condo sales and Simpson's three-year quest to build in South Waterfront, Williams said they agreed to sell the site for apartments.

Williams' company is the lead developer in South Waterfront, a new high-rise, riverfront neighborhood just south of the Ross Island Bridge. Construction began in the area after North Macadam Investors signed a $2 billion deal with the Portland Development Commission and Oregon Health & Science University.

Williams' company has finished two towers at the Meriwether and has three more under construction with the John Ross, Atwater Place and 3720.

But sales have slowed.

Williams says they sold 30 to 50 condos a month when they started. "That wasn't sustainable," he says. "A lot of it was investors, speculators."

Now, Williams says they sell three to four a month. Given the slowdown, Williams says the next riverfront condo tower likely won't start construction until late 2008. Williams says he isn't worried about the slowdown. He expects the market inventory to level out in the next six months or so. But right now, Williams says of condos: "You wouldn't want any more."

With condos cooling, apartments appear to be hot in South Waterfront and elsewhere.

A streetcar ride away from South Waterfront, Opus Northwest ditched plans for a Park Blocks condo in favor of apartments.

In South Waterfront, Trammell Crow Residential has started construction on the district's first apartment building, a tower targeted at luxury renters. Simpson's project at Block 46 will be shorter and marketed with less expensive rents. Plans call for two six-story buildings with ground-floor shops designed by Ankrom Moisan and Associates. For a comparison, Williams offered Trammell Crow's Pearl District apartments at Northwest 10th Avenue and Hoyt Street.

Simpson, founded in 1948 and a big player in the nation's apartment market, has more than 1,750 units in the works on the West Coast.

Just south of the Simpson site, Williams & Dame Development will build affordable apartments under an agreement with the Portland Development Commission. Williams said he expects construction to start on Block 46 and 49 in 2008.

In the past year, the Portland-Vancouver market saw average apartment rents climb 6.9 percent, according to research firm RealFacts. In Silicon Valley's Santa Clara County, apartment rents climbed 11 percent, and in Seattle, rents went up 9.9 percent.

Block 46 covers 62,000 square feet or about 1.5 city blocks. The sale has no effect on North Macadam Investors' commitments under its agreement with the Portland Development Commission, said Larry Brown of the PDC.

Part of South Waterfront's apartment allure comes from Pill Hill, which is a three-minute tram ride away. Williams says about 7,000 people who work on the hill rent.

Ryan Frank: 503-221-8519; ryanfrank@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/o...800.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 3:44 PM

Early growing pains at South Waterfront
Thursday, July 26, 2007
Fred Leeson
The Oregonian

Kevin Countryman first learned about a retail space in the South Waterfront's Meriwether condo tower more than a year ago.

He likes the idea of a whole new neighborhood rising from bare ground as the home of the third Bella Espresso coffee and gourmet specialty food outlet, opening in mid-August. He and his son, Bret, have been selling coffee and a few food items from a nearby trailer since last year.

"There is a strong sense of community here, and that is very appealing to us as a company," Kevin Countryman says.

But they and others are running into some early growing pains in the budding neighborhood, with three completed high-rises and planning and construction under way on several others.

"The biggest headache we have is parking," Countryman says. "It's hard getting a grasp on where our employees or customers will park. Parking seems to have been an afterthought. That really surprised us."

Off-street lots in the neighborhood are owned by Oregon Health & Science University, and efforts to negotiate haven't succeeded. "They have all the parking," Countryman says. "We don't have any."

Susan Harntett, OHSU's new director of transportation planning, says she hasn't ruled out a parking-sharing agreement.

"We are very interested in saying yes," she says. But she notes that the high-rise neighborhood always "is going to be a constrained parking and transportation environment" given its geography.

Some residents, meanwhile, worry that Southwest Curry Street is becoming overburdened as a loading access street. And development of a park and the riverfront Willamette Greenway are lagging behind original schedules even as plans for new buildings roll in.

"It's getting harder to sit here and approve the public taking of our sun and sky without seeing the complement of that," says Michael McCulloch, a member of the Portland Design Commission, which enforces city height regulations in the urban renewal area. He thinks the Bureau of Parks & Recreation has waited too long to plan improvements for a two-acre grassy patch to be known as South Waterfront Neighborhood Park.

"It feels like there is a huge missing piece," McCulloch says. "You don't design the whole city and what's left over is the public realm."

The Parks Bureau is scheduled to launch a public planning process this fall, aimed at adding improvements to the park in 2009. The bureau relies on citizen involvement, and until recently, there were few residents in the area destined to be home to nearly 10,000.

The latest building plan nearing approval is for a 325-foot, 30-story tower intended for seniors. Mirabella, bounded by Southwest Bond Avenue and River Parkway between Curry and Pennoyer Streets, it will face the new park.

Pacific Retirement Services plans 224 units for independent living and 60 for residents needing special care. The proposed slender, curving tower offers the most interesting addition yet to the neighborhood skyline.

Jeff Los, a principal with Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects, says the building will add colors to the neighborhood, and nonreflective glass will make it more visible at night. Most new buildings use reflective glass to minimize heat gain, but Los says engineers decided clearer glass would work better with the Mirabella's configuration.

"That was quite a surprising finding," he says.

Los is also considering rooftop solar panels to help heat water. The panels would rest flat and out of sight.

"It's an extraordinary building in lots of ways," McCulloch says. "It's going to be a wonderful beacon in the neighborhood."

Portland News: 503-221-8199; portland@news.oregonian.com

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/o...250.xml&coll=7

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland