HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 10:57 PM

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Yes, it is. (And it's outdated by 12+ years.)

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Yes, it is. (And it's outdated by 12+ years.)
It is odd that an FOB at YXE has that on its website. Since the information is intended for pilots and they are required to have the latest version with them already if they are flying into the airport.

The one for Regina is also out of date.

https://yxeaero.ca/runway-map/

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
It is odd that an FOB at YXE has that on its website. Since the information is intended for pilots and they are required to have the latest version with them already if they are flying into the airport.

The one for Regina is also out of date.

https://yxeaero.ca/runway-map/
Hey dude, it's alright. The FBOs (not "FOB") are merely displaying the basic airport layout and runway orientation. The layouts haven't really changed in about 35 years. (The airport runways haven't changed [appreciably] since the early '70s.) These are pages from an outdated CAP.

On the other hand, it's illegal for an IFR pilot to fly on an IFR flight plan/itinerary with an outdated CAP. (The CAPs are updated every two months - or via NOTAM.) CAP charts show the [types of] approach/departure procedures for IFR flights in/out of airports.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 3:37 AM

New pre-security restaurant "Urban Acre" now open in YXE terminal: https://twitter.com/fly_skyxe/status...17856617086976

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 2:53 PM

So the recent upgrade construction at Saskatoon airport in terms of drop off, rental, valet service is coming to an end with the erection of the signage. We are talking about the massive over road signage. Unfortunately, there seemed to be little thought about the placement of the signage!

Was picking someone up last evening as they were finishing the installation. I can't recall which 2 overhead signs they were, but ones close to where you turn off into the parking lot are placed maybe 5 metres apart....so as you drive towards them, you cannot see the 2nd sign as it is hidden by the first sign. As you pass under the first sign, you have little to no time to see what the second sign behind it says.

This seems like it should have been obvious in the plans...and if not....then it should have been clear when the standards went up!

Makes you wonder sometimes.....

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 2:54 PM

Also....the "island" that has been constructed for pick up and drop off is very attractive, but it blows my mind that some kind of heating system was not thought of!!! This is fine for spring, summer and fall...but for our longest season of Winter, it sure is not a pleasant area for folks waiting to be picked up!!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
So the recent upgrade construction at Saskatoon airport in terms of drop off, rental, valet service is coming to an end with the erection of the signage. We are talking about the massive over road signage. Unfortunately, there seemed to be little thought about the placement of the signage!

Was picking someone up last evening as they were finishing the installation. I can't recall which 2 overhead signs they were, but ones close to where you turn off into the parking lot are placed maybe 5 metres apart....so as you drive towards them, you cannot see the 2nd sign as it is hidden by the first sign. As you pass under the first sign, you have little to no time to see what the second sign behind it says.

This seems like it should have been obvious in the plans...and if not....then it should have been clear when the standards went up!

Makes you wonder sometimes.....
I’m sitting at the airport right now waiting for my wife’s flight to arrive. I read your post before I drove in and paid attention to it. I didn’t find the signs blocked each other at all. All the lanes aren’t open so it’s still a bit of cluster but the signage was clear and easy to read.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 1:30 PM

OK...glad you found it better then me...maybe I was having a bad day...haha...but I still think the island should have overhead heaters!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 2:24 PM

Quote:
OK...glad you found it better then me...maybe I was having a bad day...haha...but I still think the island should have overhead heaters!
That we can definitely agree on. Seems counterintuitive to not have something like that.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. Overhead heaters can be found in many small town rinks in Saskatchewan, warming patrons sitting in the bleachers. Similar heaters on the island at Skyxe would be a boon to the airport, vastly improving the customer experience during the winter months.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 6:12 AM

Does anyone else find it weird that passengers can be dropped off at the door at large airports like JFK, LAX, etc.. and now we have to pick people up at that area not attached to the airport? I just haven’t been to an airport like that and I really don’t like it? I agree heaters would definitely help. A lot of people wearing shorts to and from their flights, come on skyxe!!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 4:36 PM

Was back at the airport again this morning....drop off and pick up a lot of family there...and found the sign sight lines no where near as bad as I first thought. But my opinion is still the same on heaters!! We have a very attractive and functional airport, of which our guests often compliment...but the separate island needs a retool for winter.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Does anyone else find it weird that passengers can be dropped off at the door at large airports like JFK, LAX, etc.. and now we have to pick people up at that area not attached to the airport? I just haven’t been to an airport like that and I really don’t like it? I agree heaters would definitely help. A lot of people wearing shorts to and from their flights, come on skyxe!!
Wearing shorts on winter flights, even to hot destinations, is just silly.

We tried to fly to FLL from YQR a couple of years ago in February. Our flight from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale got cancelled. It was -27 C in Montreal that night. It was windy. Wearing shorts would not have been good.

By all means wear a lighter jacket, but wear appropriate clothing. You're not in Florida or Cuba yet.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Wearing shorts on winter flights, even to hot destinations, is just silly.

We tried to fly to FLL from YQR a couple of years ago in February. Our flight from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale got cancelled. It was -27 C in Montreal that night. It was windy. Wearing shorts would not have been good.

By all means wear a lighter jacket, but wear appropriate clothing. You're not in Florida or Cuba yet.
and planes can be pretty cold, at altitude especially window seats.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
I write this while sitting in the Saskatoon airport after having been dropped off at the new private vehicle drop off / pickup area. I think the new layout is much better than the old setup. Yeah, you have a 15 second walk across the taxi pickup/ drop off lanes to get inside the airport but the whole area is far less congested than the old layout where taxis and private vehicles had to share the space.

Heaters would be nice but not critical. Most people can now coordinate their pickup so that waiting time is no more than a couple of minutes.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 2:38 AM

I wish there was some news about expanded service to Regina (new airlines, new routes, increase in flights, USA direct). Has anyone heard any rumblings?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 9:30 PM

Just as an update to my post above, I arrived back in Saskatoon to an absolute taxi clusterf*ck at the airport yesterday.

There were two flights arriving within 5 minutes of each other at about 5:45 pm. We get our luggage and head out to get a taxi, not concerned as one generally sees a line of them waiting to pull ahead and pick up passengers. Not yesterday - We ended up in the middle of a 40-50 person lineup waiting for taxis as there were no cabs at the airport. How the taxi company can screw things up this badly is beyond me. It's not exactly rocket science to see when the flights are arriving (not when scheduled to arrive, but when they are actually arriving) and arrange to have a number of cabs waiting at the airport.

The already irritable group of people was made even more angry when the couple in line immediately ahead of us left the lineup to go grab a cab that that they had phoned for pickup right after landing and was supposedly pulling up to the pickup area right then. There were two cabs arriving at the same time, one of them may or may not have been the one that they'd summoned, but they didn't make friends out of the 20 or so people who they had cut in front of. When our cab finally arrived as part of a influx of 6 cabs at once, the driver explained that part of the problem is that the day drivers and night drivers have their shift change at 6pm, exactly when the cabs were required.

At least everyone was able to wait in the large vestibule that is there for that purpose. Would have been crappy to have to wait outside with no heaters. Further to that, I had to wait outside, but in a shelter, at the Toronto airport recently and really appreciated the infrared heater there. I may be changing my thoughts on the need for heaters at the Saskatoon airport.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 10:10 PM

I heard from a friend that works for West Wind that they are planning to start trial runs for flights to Winnipeg and Edmonton. They'll try Winnipeg first and if the demand is there they'll add the Edmonton flights.

Might not be a bad idea if they can do it for cheap. Question is whether they'll try to fill up their ATRs or if they'll opt for a smaller Beechcraft.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 11:04 AM

Delta YXE upgauge

Noticed yesterday that Delta’s summer and fall schedule is showing all YXE-MSP flights now using an E175 instead of the CRJ. No increase in seats (both at 76), however definitely a more roomy aircraft.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan