HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 12:30 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenbyDesign View Post
Don't you think that new names would just drive prices up even more. Manhattan had a similar experiment before they actually tried to get smart about it. If a new project is in a shady part of an old neighborhood, it's the new face of that neighborhood. A new chapter. No need to disown the past in this case. Sure from a developers perspective, there's a million plus reasons to consider the change. Just sayin'.....
New names isn't what drives up prices, people moving to areas and increasing demand faster than supply is what drives up prices. Naming an area after it has changed completely is just a natural progression.

There is no such thing as the as the Division or Clinton neighborhood, yet if I said either of those two names, you would know exactly which neighborhoods I was talking about. The same goes for Mississippi, North Williams, and even Belmont and Hawthorne. Areas that weren't traditionally the name of a neighborhood is what now identifies new portions of neighborhoods.

The history of Portland neighborhoods are unique in the sense that they put the commercial on the edges of the neighborhoods to create such streets like Hawthorne, where the Hawthorne District is a collection of several neighborhoods depending on which side of the street you are on.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 7:59 PM

Latest drawings [PDF - 28MB] for the Seven Corners Community Collaborative.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 7:07 AM
A before E

That area is called Seven Corners? I never knew that....

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 5:31 AM

Early Assistance has been requested for a project at 4540 SE Milwaukie Ave:

Quote:
Proposal is for a four story multi-unit development. One single family residence and one commercial bldg to be demolished.
A building permit is under review for a project at 5209 SE 18th Ave:

Quote:
Construct new 6 story, 59 unit apartment building, parking, trash area, bike storage, electrical room and lobby on 1st floor, floors 2-6 include apartment living units, includes associated site work
Edge Development have submitted a project at 634 SE Spokane St for building permit review:

Quote:
Construct new 3 story (12) unit apartment building with site work

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 4:12 AM

TVA Architects have requested Early Assistance for a project at 1823 SE 50th Ave:

Quote:
Proposal for a four story 19 unit apartment building. No parking provided. Existing building to be removed.
Holst Architecture have submitted the Asian Health and Services Center at 9005 SE Foster Rd for building permit review:

Quote:
Construct new 3 story, 29,000 sf office building with ground floor commercial lease space, includes onsite parking and associated site work
A building permit was issued for The Truman apartments at 1525 SE 44th Ave:

Quote:
New construction-new 4-story mixed use building with retail space on ground floor area and 30 residential units

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Portland's newest maker space takes shape in the Iron Fireman (Photos)

ScanlanKemperBard and its ownership partner, WHI Real Estate Partners L.P., could have revamped the old Iron Fireman Building and an adjacent industrial building into an updated space for one or maybe two large industrial users.

In fact, that's what the roughly 150,000-square-foot complex at Southeast 17th and Schiller had hosted for decades. That changed in 2014 when aerospace manufacturer PECO Manufacturing moved to Clackamas, leaving the buildings vacant. (A printing and direct mail company also occupied part of the space as well.)

But SKB and WHI, which bought the buildings this year for $5.3 million, envision a different kind of use that makes more sense in this day and age and in this city. Instead of one or two large tenants, the owners are investing some $10 million to revamp the buildings and prep them for the makers, artisans and creative manufacturers who have increasingly come to call Portland home.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 1:42 AM

1823 SE 50th open house

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
TVA Architects have requested Early Assistance for a project at 1823 SE 50th Ave:

The owners of 1823 SE 50th will hold an "open house" to describe their project, on Tues. Aug. 2 at 5:30 PM at Lucky Lab on Hawthorne.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Aug 4, 2016 at 3:30 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 7:35 PM

LRS Architects have requested Early Assistance for a project at 2310 SE Hawthorne Blvd:

Quote:
New 4 story mixed-use building including 61 living units over retail and 23 parking stalls.
A multiple building project at 6702 SE 72nd Ave has been submitted for building permit review:

Quote:
New construction of 3 story triplex

New construction of 3 story, 6 unit apartment building with site improvements

New construction of 3 story, 6 unit apartment building with site improvements

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 3:30 AM

Final Findings And Decision By The Landmarks Commission for the Seven Corners Community Collaborative.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
LRS Architects have requested Early Assistance for a project at 2310 SE Hawthorne Blvd:
2310 Hawthorne is Kreuger's open-air market in a tent. An innovative business model. BPS puzzled over what kind of permit to issue for it. It's demise may generate some controversy, although it doesn't seem to be the highest and best use of the property. Maybe they'll relocate in the ground floor of the new building .

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 4:16 AM

William Wilson Architects have requested Early Assistance for a project at 7119 SE Milwaukie Ave:

Quote:
New 4-story, 232 unit apartment building with basement garage. Stormwater is proposed to be disposed of through drywells under the garage.
A project at 3220 SE 19th Ave has been submitted for building permit review:

Quote:
(3) story addition to existing building, retain portions of foundation and exterior walls for floors 1 and 2. New parking lot, site upgrages and utilities.
A building permit was issued for the Clinton 50 Lofts at 2655 SE 50th Ave (previously 2645 SE 50th Ave):

Quote:
New construction of a four story 121 unit apartment building with basement parking. With mechanical permit 16-119795-mt.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:28 AM

Notice of a Type II Proposal for the Asian Health & Service Center at 9005 SE Foster Rd.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 10:29 PM

(Last week)

Carleton Hart Architecture have submitted a project at Lents Town Center Property #3 (North) for Type II Design Review:

Quote:
New 4-story wood-framed multi-unit housing with 64 units and a community space. Working with the PHB.
A building permit was issued for a project at 7625 SE Milwaukie Ave (formerly 7627 SE Milwaukie Ave):

Quote:
New 2 story 13 unit apartment building
(This week)

NW Civil Design have requested a Public Works Inquiry for a project at 7337 SE Foster Rd:

Quote:
New dental building with parking.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltJ View Post
Does anyone have any info on the status of Waechter's Claybourne Commons project? The site has been dormant for months and months. Recently they installed some landscaping. Any info would be much appreciated...
The permit status is still "under review". Im not sure what the even means anymore. I've got a reservation there and 10k bucks tied up into it. The last we spoke with the developer was in January when he said they were supposed to break ground on the structures by April. Looking at Portland maps, the permits do seem do be coming along so im not sure what the scoop is. It seems like were waiting on the city of Portland at this point and the developer has submitted everything he needs. I guess their permit backlog is probably stupidly long at this point. Maybe the city should stop accepting permits for a bit so they can catch up with the current backlog. Im fairly patient but this project is starting to piss me off and make me consider looking for another townhouse. The current developer took over the project from the original developer in 2013 but seemed to run into some snags along the way. The only thing I can think is the development is townhomes so maybe they are treating each unit as a separate approval since they are all individual taxlots....I dunno. It seems goofy that the developer is taking so long. Its probably a mix of two things, he hasn't built an urban multifamily project in the city of Portland before, annnnnnd, its the city of Portland were talking about. the city that works you over! time will tell....

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:12 PM

@pdxtex - I've been watching that development as my best friend lives very nearby. This project has been lagging since early 2014 - nearly three years. It's frustrating living around a dormant construction site...at first the rumor was that it was taking so long because of the land division for individual townhome lots. Okay, but that plat has long been recorded. My friend had been looking in to it and stumbled onto what would probably be a typical rumor at this point of developer insolvency and financing issues. It's doubtful at this point that this is entirely due to permitting issues.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:20 PM

boy I hope that's not the case. construction is a tough gig but i think he may have bitten off a bit more than he can chew. might need to start looking elsewhere. thanks for the heads up. also what was the source of the rumor? inquiring minds want to know....me!!

Last edited by pdxtex; Sep 1, 2016 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 7:09 PM

@pdxtex - I think it's strictly an unsubstantiated rumor based on seeing no progress for so long...pure speculation. My guess is that if true, the developer would have alerted those that put deposits down that the project wasn't moving forward. Given that you have a deposit in place, I would certainly inquire about the status.

Preselling a bunch of units and then having delays in getting a project going - all while values and construction costs are going up can be a very costly mistake. For example, if he agreed to sell you a townhome for $350k a while ago, that same townhome could now have a market value of $400k. So, he's selling for below market while his costs have increased at the same time. Not a good position to be in. I'm not saying that that's what's happening here but it's worth a phone call to see if everything is on track.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 9:44 PM

slow permitting and understaffed city government sounds like a national problem....

http://www.wsj.com/articles/approval...cts-1457028370

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 7:31 PM

(Last week)

A project at 7430 SE Milwaukie Ave has been submitted for building permit review by CIDA Architects:

Quote:
New 3 story 30 unit apartment building (sits on two lots)
A building permit has been issued to CIDA Architects for a project at 5811 SE Boise St (formerly 5816 SE Foster Rd):

Quote:
Construct new 3 story (30) unit apartment building; with associated site work***See 16-125884-CO separate permit for trash enclosure and covered bike parking***
(This week)

A project at 2922 SE 82nd Ave has been submitted for Design Review:

Quote:
Proposal for a 3-story enclosed mini-storage facility with drive-through access. 3 signs proposed.
A project at 2033 SE Clinton St has been submitted for building permit review by BAMA Architecture and Design:

Quote:
New construction 4 story plus basement: two retail spaces on ground floor; two 3level townhouse apartments above
A project at 3336 SE Belmont St has been submitted for building permit review by VH Development:

Quote:
New 3 story mixed use building; retail on half of first floor and apartments on remaining first, second, third floors; retail occupancy of B on first floor
A project at 3539 SE Milwaukie Ave has been submitted for building permit review:

Quote:
New 3 story apartment building with 16 units and 1 ground floor retail space; bike storage and trash room on main fl
A project at 2110 SE 82nd Ave has been submitted for building permit review:

Quote:
New shell building A-2 & M occupancy with mezzaninne and associated site work
A building permit was issued for a project at 8049 SE Center St (formerly 8035 SE Center):

Quote:
Construct new 3 story, 12 unit apartment building with 6 private garages on the gound floor. Detached trash enclosure less than 120 sf, includes associated site work

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 5:20 AM

Early Assistance has been requested by William Wilson Architects for a project at 2502 SE 29th Ave:

Quote:
New four story, 50 unit apartment building with basement garage and ground floor retail.
Early Assistance has been requested by Urban Development Group for a project at 1725 SE Tenino St:

Quote:
Proposal is for a new apartment building with 78 units. Existing structures will be demolished.
A project at 6805 SE 52nd Ave has been submitted for building permit review by Allusa Architecture:

Quote:
New 3 story mixed use building with (15) apartments and (2) retail spaces, site improvements, detached trash enclosure and gazebo each less than 120 sq ft.

New 3 story apartment building with (12) units

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland