HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 1:55 AM
Urban Advocate

Shopping Centre Redevelopment

I'm looking for info on a greyfield shopping centre redevelopment that is/was taking place somewhere in the greater Vancouver area. It had tower integration, mixed-use, etc. and a SkyTrain stop I think.

I saw plans and pictures on here about a year or so ago, and would like to use it as a part of a greyfield redevelopment presentation I'm doing for a planning class.

Thanks in advance.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 2:21 AM

Oakridge Centre in Vancouver

Could this be it?

I posted this in the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Oakridge Mall in Vancouver may serve as an interesting glimpse of the future of mixed-format retailing. Ivanhoe Cambridge owns Oakridge Mall, a regional 600,000 sq foot mall built in the late 60s (I believe). It has a Bay, Zellars, Safeway as large format stores and then several hundred smaller leaseholders. The Canada Line subway from downtown Vancouver to the airport and the city of Richmond passes right beside Oakridge and a stop will be built right at the mall's front door. In response to the Canada Line and the general up-zoning of area Ivanhoe Cambridge will be expanding the mall to just-shy of 1,000,000 sq feet, absorbing all above-ground parking in the process, creating a new city street through the old parking lots with retail frontages, adding 300,000 square feet of Class A office space to the current 150,000, adding 1,500,000 million square feet of residential units, and will be redesigning the mall to create urban retail/commercial frontages along Cambie Street and 41st.

So to recap, the mall, which is already thriving despite only being 20 blocks from a several kilometre-long strip of highway-oriented large format retail (big box stores), is expanding, adding office space, a tonne of residential, a big chunk of commercial, and is responding to the changing character of the area by creating two new commercial high-streets. Not bad in my books.

Current image of Oakridge Mall:

Massing study of proposed redevelopment and expansion:
Here is the link to the City of Vancouver's Planning Department website on the project:
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/currentplanning/oakridge/

As an addendum, the 1.5 million square feet of residential space that is planned for this project is slightly in excess of the total residential floorspace for the Winter Olympic Village in Southeast False Creek.

The SkyTrain Canada Line station will be at the intersection of 41st Ave and Cambie Street. The tunnel in this area is nearly complete but the station will take at least another year. The first four trains are currently on a ship en route to Vancouver from South Korea. Testing will begin in the new year on the Vancouver International Airport portion of the line which will be complete first.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Nov 12, 2007 at 2:33 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 2:29 AM

Perhaps former Middlegate Mall in Burnaby?

Scroll down the following link:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=130447&page=3

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion