HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 6:20 PM

I hope so LAMETGUY!!!

Thoughts of NFL in L.B. bring excitement
By Doug Krikorian, Staff columnist
Article Launched: 11/08/2007 11:23:58 PM PST

His Gray Eminence, Mr. John Morris, local political provocateur, local gossip connoisseur, local upholder of truth, justice and the Pine Avenue Way of Life, is on the phone, breathlessly beseeching me to come down to his restaurant early Wednesday evening.

"All the people connected with the sale of the Queen Mary property are going to be here including the big squeeze of the Save the Queen group Jeff Klein," says the owner of Smooth's. "I hear Richard Riordan (former Los Angeles mayor) and Pat Haden (former USC and Los Angeles Rams quarterback) contacted Klein about the feasibility of putting up a football stadium on the site. That's great news.

"I also hear that Suja Lowenthal (Second District Councilmember) reacted positively when she was asked about the idea.

"Wow! But that's not too surprising since Suja's father-in-law, State Senator Alan Lowenthal, and myself were behind such a project 15 years ago."

Naturally, I got excited, as visions of NFL games and Super Bowls being staged in this community and the staggering revenue and prestige that would accrue from such phenomena began swirling around in my cerebellum.

There have been recent reports that land developer Ed Roski,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
involved in the construction of Staples Center and a minority owner of that athletic facility as well as the Lakers and Kings, is determined to erect a football stadium on 600 acres he owns in the City of Industry.
Now nothing against this gritty hamlet located in the San Gabriel Valley off the Pomona Freeway that has a population of 777 and that has the fabled Puente Hills Mall, but Long Beach would afford a slightly more aesthetic location with its picturesque ocean vistas, as well as a slightly more comforting ambiance with the gaggle of restaurants and other forms of entertainment in the area.

And so I went to Smooth's, sat at Morris' famed private Round Table in front of his restaurant gabbing with, of all people, Carl (The Truth) Williams, the owner of the latest professional franchise to descend on this city, the Long Beach Breakers of the ABA, while waiting for the new Queen Mary bigwigs to arrive.

Natch, the first exalted personage I spotted was Long Beach's Big Box Of A Man mayor, the most honorable as well as the most lovable Bob (Bananas) Foster, and I said to him, "Wow, isn't this great? A football stadium near the Queen Mary. Finally, we're doing something right in this town."

Ol' Bananas considered me with an agitated scowl, and shrieked, "You have stars in your eyes! You're a celebrity gazer!"

"You mean you're against a football stadium?" I responded incredulously.

"No, I didn't say that," replied Mr. Foster. "It's just that there are so many things we have to look at. Would it be worth having a building in which we'd only have 10 events (games) a year in it?"

"Wet noodle," sniffed John Morris.

Of course, that would mean the equivalent of 10 Toyota Grand Prix weekends to pump up Long Beach's economy and tourist trade.

And there would also be a Super Bowl, which would be off the financial charts.

"Hundreds of millions of dollars would pour into Long Beach for such an epic extravaganza that would cause such a seismic shift in the contours of our idyllic landscape," said Morris, the aging Englishman suddenly turning literary as though he were Keats or Kipling.

Jeff Klein, bedecked in a customized suit - I couldn't tell if it were an Armani, Versace, Gucci or Hugo Boss because, alas, my apparel doesn't extend beyond Tommy Bahama - showed up and acknowledged he already had been approached by people representing the NFL who were intrigued by the Queen Mary site.

Klein was circumspect about who approached him - "I don't think the people who called me want their names mentioned" - but I do know Klein has been a friend of Pat Haden since the two were at USC where Haden was a quarterback star and Klein a water polo star.

And Klein did reveal that the NFL commissioner, Roger Goodell, has assigned people to look at the feasibility of Long Beach as a future venue.

"Obviously, I don't know for sure at this early date what we're going to do with the property," said Klein. "I was told that you'd need 26 to 34 acres to build a stadium, and we now have 44 with possibly 10 more that could be added with land-fill. Of course, there are so many variables and questions. We'd have to find out about public access, the costs, transportation, all sorts of things."

The influential political lobbyist/public relations operative, Mad Mike (The Grim Reaper) Murchison - he attempts to kill off any nasty talk about one of his clients - figures it would be a three-year process that Klein and his group would have to go through with all the governmental oversights that would be involved in such a venture.

"The earliest we could have a stadium would be in 2012," says Murchison, who was a strong ally of John Morris and Alan Lowenthal in their unsuccessful Long Beach football stadium campaign back in 1992.

Jeff Klein certainly seems amenable to such a project, but, ominously, ol' Bananas Foster exudes skepticism, the same kind the one-time Long Beach City Manager, Jim Hankla, did many years ago when he undermined Morris and Lowenthal and went forward with his pet projects - the fish tank and The Pike - that haven't exactly stuffed millions in the city's coffers.

But at least Long Beach has a powerful newcomer in town in Jeff Klein willing to listen, even explore the possibility of constructing a football stadium that could lure an NFL team here that, to paraphrase the suddenly and mysteriously lyrical John Morris, would cause a seismic shift in the contours of our idyllic landscape. ...

I was terribly mistaken when I wrote Wednesday that Dan Monson, the new basketball coach at Long Beach State, has a bunch of players no one ever has heard of because, for sure, our Hall of Fame basketball writer, Frank Burlison, could probably write a biography on each one of them without even the assistance of the 49ers' media guide. ...

I thought Will Rogers died in a plane crash back on Aug. 15, 1935 in Alaska with pilot Wiley Post, but I actually met Will Rogers the other evening at Smooth's.

Honestly.

But this one is named Dr. Will Rogers, and is a chiropractor who operates the Queen Mary Spa on the old vessel and the Seacrest Health & Wellness Center in Cypress.

This Will Rogers is not related to the late actor, humorist and writer, although he does bear a vague resemblance to him. ...

I want to be the first person to congratulate Frank McCourt for his Los Angeles Dodger team winning the National League pennant and World Series championship in 2008 under manager Joe Torre. Alas, I'll also probably be the only one to do so since neither achievement figures to take place under Torre since it was the old geezer's inability to win such titles in recent years with the New York Yankees that resulted in his estrangement from the team. ...

You'd think L.A. was overflowing with a bunch of rubes with the wide-eyed, fawning reception it has accorded Joe Torre, who holds the dubious distinction of being the only manager in baseball history to oversee a team that blew a 3-0 postseason lead as the Yankees did in 2004 against the Boston Red Sox.

I could understand this kind of welcome for Torre if he were named, say, to manage the Fresno Giants, but not in these supposedly more sophisticated environs. ...

The media conspiracy of silence certainly was evident in the postgame Indianapolis-New England stories. I didn't read anywhere about the abominable, pro-Colts officiating that nearly decided the outcome of the otherwise entertaining match.

The Zebras whistled three pass interference penalties against the Patriots that weren't evident to the human eye, two defensive ones totaling 67 yards that gifted the Colts with first downs on New England's 5-yard line and an offensive one against Randy Moss in the fourth quarter that should result in the back judge making it being suspended for such an outrageous lapse in judgment at such a crucial time of the proceedings. ...

That said, these are two evenly matched teams that probably will play again in the AFC title game on Jan. 20 in New England and it again probably won't be decided until the final minutes. ...

The venerable fight publicist, Honest John Beyrooty, reveals the Internet cult hero, Kimbo Slice, aka Kevin Ferguson, will be making his MMA debut on Saturday night's EliteXC cage fight card on Showtime (10 p.m.).

The 33-year-old, 6-3, 240-pound Ferguson was a legendary underground bare-knuckle fighter who became an overnight pop-culture hit when his fistic videos were downloaded more than 10 million times on YouTube.

His promoter is Gary Shaw, who thinks Ferguson can become the first heavyweight world champion in both the MMA and boxing. I don't. ...

Long Beach celebrity bodyguard Mike (The Hammer) DiMarzo, a reborn workaholic who routinely puts in 12-hour shifts these days after several years of idling his time away snoozing, schmoozing and boozing, will celebrate birthday No. 46 Saturday afternoon among his many male and female admirers by sipping one or two or three or perhaps even a few more brews at Joe Jost. What a shocking development! ...

It will surprise me if Sugar Shane Mosley beats Miguel Cotto Saturday night in their WBA welterweight fight at Madison Square Garden only because Cotto is promoted by the wily Bob Arum, who seldom allows one of his hottest young attractions to fight someone who could actually beat him.

Mosley holds the advantages over Cotto in speed, power and experience, but Cotto is nine years younger at 27, has never been beaten and is clearly on the rise. Cotto in a close decision. ...

They tell me that the wildly popular cable TV pest, Mr. Art Levine, really made a pest of himself at the Save the Queen press conference the other afternoon at the Queen Mary, brazenly attempting to lure advertising from some of the principals for his Straight Talk pamphlet. Leave it up to ol' Artie the Yalie to find new and exotic ways to embarrass himself even when he isn't on the McKenna's on the Bay dance floor where he has no peer in eliciting widespread giggles with his crazily disjointed hoofing. ...

Nothing - and I mean nothing - remains constant in this weird life in which we involuntarily have descended, proof of which the Clippers are unbeaten and the Lakers aren't. ...

I'm told by someone who knows that Karl Dorrell must win his final three games to remain employed as the football coach at UCLA. ...

I'm so convinced that Jerry (Ol' Doc) Buss won't dare trade Kobe Bryant that, if he does, I'll fly immediately to Europe and never return.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 9:06 PM

Reduction of Police Patrol in Downtown Tourism District

This is from LBreport.com. Apparently, the dedicated police deployment has been reduced from 14 officers to "0" officers beginning on Sunday and concluding each Wednesday. I guess they think criminals are on vacation during this time of the week.

This is no good. A lot of store owners including John Morris, Hyatt, Del L'opera have signed up against it. Who can we call to complain? We need adequate patrol seven days a week.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 10:02 PM

Police Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
This is from LBreport.com. Apparently, the dedicated police deployment has been reduced from 14 officers to "0" officers beginning on Sunday and concluding each Wednesday. I guess they think criminals are on vacation during this time of the week.

This is no good. A lot of store owners including John Morris, Hyatt, Del L'opera have signed up against it. Who can we call to complain? We need adequate patrol seven days a week.

Ok. I called council woman Suja and left a message. I also called police patrol bureau; after 5 transfers, I finally talked to a nice sergeant who informed me that due to budgetary constraint, they can only increase the police patrol in the pine area (entertainment/tourist district) during the forecasted high crime/volume reason (May to October, Thursday to Saturday). He said that normally there are 12 regular officers who are responsible for the entire south district (From freeway to Cherry, Anaheim St). During peak summer season, they pay officers overtime from other districts to patrol the “entertainment/tourist district”. Since now the summer season is over, they’ll just cut back to normal patrol. He also said the sources of the funding are from the Tidelands operations, Long Beach Redevelopment and Downtown LB associations.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 3:55 AM

This sounds big!

Waterfront high-rise in works
Project believed to involve Molina, prominent law firm will `knock your socks off,' says long-time L.B. developer.
By Don Jergler, Staff writer
Article Launched: 11/08/2007 10:52:21 PM PST

LONG BEACH - Plans for a high-rise residential mixed-use project that reportedly includes 250,000 square feet of office space are expected to be made public today.
The project's unveiling would mark the first significant office space development in Long Beach since the mid-1990s and would contradict a trend in which developers are pulling out of residential projects in the midst of the national housing fallout.

The project, which is being called the "Golden Shore Master Plan," according to some sources, may include a large portion of Molina Healthcare's offices at 1 Golden Shore Ave. as well as the City National Bank property at 11 Golden Shore Ave.

Those reportedly involved, which include prominent business law firm Keesal, Young & Logan and publicly traded Molina, offered little information about the project.

Molina's chief financial officer, John Molina, wouldn't confirm his firm's involvement with the project offering only a "no comment" to a reporter's questions.

A spokeswoman for Keesal, Young & Logan referred most questions to today's announcement and would only allude indirectly to details.

"It is a development plan for entitlement of a mixed-use residential property," said Marilyn Whitcomb.
Urging caution about making any of the project's plans public, she stated: "We don't want to have anyone at 1 Golden Shore or 11 Golden Shore think their occupancy is at risk in the short term. If and when it happens we would do it in the fashion that's considerate to everyone involved."

Developers have not sought public approval for the project. Approval by the city's Planning Commission, the City Council and the state Coastal Commission would be required to greenlight any such development.

Long-time downtown developer George Medak confirmed his involvement with the project on Thursday, but he would only remark that "it's an exciting project" that will "knock your socks off."

Medak has been involved with the entitlement of many of downtown's largest projects, most recently the Aqua condominiums on Ocean.

Medak said the location was around Golden Shore and Ocean Boulevard, but he wouldn't pinpoint a property and he declined to confirm rumors that there are plans to raze the entire site and build anew.

Downtown commercial real estate broker Becky Blair said she has been hearing hints of such a project in the pipeline for a while, but that she has only recently been given an idea of its massive scope.

According to Blair, Keesal, Young & Logan purchased the 11 Golden Shore property earlier this year with plans to build a residential high-rise on the spot.

However, the fact that the Molina name has been associated with the project, and because Molina, a rapidly expanding health care firm, occupies 1 Golden Shore next door, those earlier plans may indeed have become much larger, Blair said.

"Why is Molina involved? Because it could be a contiguous development," Blair said. "I think it's a combination. It's 1 Golden Shore and 11 Golden Shore."

With the vacancy rate in downtown's 4.2 million square feet of office space shrinking - it's about 11 percent compared with 15 percent in the nearby South Bay - more office space is becoming a hot commodity, Blair said.

Molina, which also takes up about 80,000 square feet of office space in the nearby Arco Center office towers at 200 Oceangate, may move its entire operation into a new headquarters, Blair said.

With the asking price for downtown's Class A office space around $2.40 per square foot for downtown, developers of new office space could charge additional tenants more than $3 per square foot, Blair added.

The fact that developers are going through with a project that includes residential in the current housing market speaks well for downtown Long Beach, Blair said.

"Most high-rise developers are backing out, they're not stepping forward, and I think this is a great comment for us here in downtown Long Beach: developers are feeling that this is a great place to do development."

Others usually in the know about what's going on in downtown seemed to be surprised.

"I don't know anything formally about it," said Kraig Kojian, president and CEO of the Downtown Long Beach Associates.

Pressed about his knowledge of the development, Kojian said he has seen no information on the project.

Such a mixed-use project would be in line with current trends to put residential near office space, said Jack Kyser, chief economist for the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corp.

"You're seeing stuff like that," Kyser said. "You're seeing more of this mixing of uses."

don.jergler@presstelegram.com, 562-499-1281

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 4:06 AM

I went to the city web site and looked under the planning and building departments major project list. The list shows this project listed as the Molina Complex which is currently in process for entitlements. The address is listed as 777 W. Ocean

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 4:58 PM

Big plans Housing/office complex would be largest in L.B.
L.B.: Now developers go to work on getting city approval for housing/office complex that Mayor Foster says will `dramatically change this area.'
By Don Jergler, Staff writer
Article Launched: 11/09/2007 09:09:52 PM PST

Office space in the 250,000-square-foot Golden Shore project would be filled exclusively by Molina Healthcare and the law firm of Keesal, Young & Logan. (Rendering)LONG BEACH - Plans unveiled Friday for a proposed $2 billion development that would be the city's largest include 1,370 residential units and 250,000 square feet of office space in five high-rise buildings.

Three of those planned buildings are 36-story residential towers that would become the city's tallest buildings at about 420 feet each, easily topping the 397-foot World Trade Center across the street.

The waterfront project at Ocean Boulevard and Golden Shore Avenue on downtown's western edge was unveiled on the top floor of the 14-floor Union Bank of California building, which is set to be demolished under the plans along with two other buildings.

"It may be an understatement to say it's a major project," Mayor

Marilyn A. Whitcomb, center, executive director of the law offices of Keesal, Young & Logan, introduces the three-dimensional model of the proposed mixed-use Golden Shore Development to John Molina, Samuel Keesal, George Medak, Mario Molina, and Mayor Bob Foster, from left, during a news conference on Friday. ( Diandra Jay/Staff Photographer )Bob Foster said at an afternoon news conference in the Union Bank building. "It will dramatically change this area."

The project, which is being called the "Golden Shore Master Plan," will include land that houses Molina Healthcare's offices at 1 Golden Shore Ave. as well as the City National Bank property at 11 Golden Shore Ave. and the Union Bank of California building on the southeast corner of Ocean and Golden Shore.

Those involved in the project include prominent business law firm Keesal, Young & Logan and publicly traded Molina, as well as prolific downtown developer George Medak.

Asked about the cost of the project, Medak said, "I'm guessing in the neighborhood of $2-$2.5 billion."

According to plans, Molina and Keesal, Young & Logan would take up all the office space in the new buildings. That means when construction begins the current tenants in the buildings will have to find other space, Medak said.

"Most of them are on a year-to-year

tenancy, and some are month to month, and they know they've got about three years and they will have to make alternate plans."

One of the larger tenants is City National Bank.

Daniel Minkoff, a spokesman for City National, declined to comment on the future plans for where the bank would take up residency.

The two tallest buildings in the project - the bank buildings - will likely be demolished by implosion, Medak said.

The project calls for two phases over 10 years, with the first phase allowing the project's first residents to begin moving in within six or seven years, Medak said.

Plans also call for all five buildings to be "green," and built to achieve silver Leed certification, one of the highest environmental designations in development.

Developers have not yet sought public approval for the project. Approval by the city's Planning Commission, the City Council and the state Coastal Commission would be required to greenlight any such development.

Medak has been involved with the entitlement of many of downtown's largest projects, most recently the Aqua condominiums on Ocean.

Many of Medak's projects have gone through without a hitch. Others, such as a proposal for building another massive project behind the World Trade Center that includes 55-story and 45-story towers, have been stalled because of the housing downturn, Medak said.

Medak is also a financial partner in the rebuilding of Legends Sports Bar in Belmont Shore, which burned down two years ago.

Keesal, Young & Logan, which has been headquartered in downtown Long Beach for 37 years, purchased a portion of the site earlier in the year.

Molina joined with them, both firms recruited Medak and the project expanded from there.

"We're really excited about doing something special here," said Keesal founder Skip Keesal.

Molina President and CEO Mario Molina said his firm is desperately in need of additional office space.

"We're growing at a rate of about 15 percent per year," Molina said. "There's just not enough commercial real estate in Long Beach."

Molina takes up the two-story building at 1 Golden Shore, and more than half the floor space in one of the two Arco Center towers across the street.

The publicly traded health care firm, which employes more than 1,000 people, would occupy the new office space along with Keesal.

Medak said he's confident the residential units will sell because by the time the project is complete the market will have turned around.

"We think the market in six years is going to be back again," he said.

It will take about 15 months to complete a required environmental report, and more time for entitlement and approval by the city's Planning Department, the City Council and the state Coastal Commission.

"It's going to be three years before we break ground," he said.

Before the conference Medak and Foster discussed the project and the two poked fun at each other.

"When do you start to turn dirt?" Foster asked Medak.

"It depends on the city," Medak quipped.

don.jergler@presstelegram.com, 562-499-1281.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 5:00 PM

there is an image of this project on the website of the press telegram, LAMG or anyone else that can post this up on the thread.....that would be great!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 12:37 AM

on one hand it's exciting to hear about all these potential projects, from football stadiums to massive mixed use projects along ocean, but for me i don't get too excited. i'm personally still waiting to see something like edgewater break ground, and that was over three years ago that signs went up for it. it's currently not going anywhere, unless someone knows different.

it's great to think big, don't get me wrong, but there are so many smaller things that could make our downtown a better place right now. we still have bums that take over our main open space everyday, empty holes at the heart of our city/pine and ocean, crappy developments like the pike struggling along with no clear future.

for me i'll just be happy to see something simple like a dog park go up somewhere. i'm still young but i'll be old and gray before most of this hyped stuff ever goes anywhere. i guess i just get tired of hearing about building for the future when there are plenty of things that can be done right now to improve the quality of life for the people that are already here.

not sure what everyone else thinks, but i look forward to your thoughts.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 1:20 AM

Wink lincoln park problem

Since the homeless always hangs out at lincoln park and its right by the city hall then how come nothing been done to fix the homeless problem at that park like building more shelters and housing in the city(central long beach area) so the homeless people that are loitering their could have some place to live and get some help to get back on their feet and the park could be redone.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drisee View Post
on one hand it's exciting to hear about all these potential projects, from football stadiums to massive mixed use projects along ocean, but for me i don't get too excited. i'm personally still waiting to see something like edgewater break ground, and that was over three years ago that signs went up for it. it's currently not going anywhere, unless someone knows different.

it's great to think big, don't get me wrong, but there are so many smaller things that could make our downtown a better place right now. we still have bums that take over our main open space everyday, empty holes at the heart of our city/pine and ocean, crappy developments like the pike struggling along with no clear future.

for me i'll just be happy to see something simple like a dog park go up somewhere. i'm still young but i'll be old and gray before most of this hyped stuff ever goes anywhere. i guess i just get tired of hearing about building for the future when there are plenty of things that can be done right now to improve the quality of life for the people that are already here.

not sure what everyone else thinks, but i look forward to your thoughts.
i wonder actually too what's their plan for bringing retail in long beach as a shopping district.....youre right, by the time those projects are done, we're old...what i wanna see is a busy place as the grove in LA...and not an empty pike center...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 2:21 AM

it's easy for us as forumers to get frustrated about situations like Edgewater or Ocean aire not being built!! but we also have to look at it from a business perspective. The housing market right now is in a slump, a few years ago Im sure everything looked perfect that's why you have all these proposed buildings with entitlements that havn't been built yet!! If we were the ones who owned these properties Im sure none of us would put millions of dollars into erecting these high rise buildings without the possibility of making a return on the investment any time in the near future, we would wait until the time looks right!! Market conditions are hard to determine but like any market what goes up must come down and what goes down does eventually go back up as long as there is still a need for it. There will always be a need for houses. These buildings will be built but it will be in due time!! I like the way the developers are looking at the idea on the time span for the Golden shore project!! by the time they get entitlements for this project which could be about 2 years from now the market conditions could be much better, by the time the actual buildings are finished in about 5 yrs Im sure conditions will be back to normal. Edgewater was a transaction that looked good when they were trying to get entitlements but once they did the market began to cool down!! So you do what all smart business people do, you wait...so that you can make a profit, not become so anxiouse that you make a bad business move and loose money!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 3:20 AM

From Press Telegram

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Life07 View Post
it's easy for us as forumers to get frustrated about situations like Edgewater or Ocean aire not being built!! but we also have to look at it from a business perspective. The housing market right now is in a slump, a few years ago Im sure everything looked perfect that's why you have all these proposed buildings with entitlements that havn't been built yet!! If we were the ones who owned these properties Im sure none of us would put millions of dollars into erecting these high rise buildings without the possibility of making a return on the investment any time in the near future, we would wait until the time looks right!! Market conditions are hard to determine but like any market what goes up must come down and what goes down does eventually go back up as long as there is still a need for it. There will always be a need for houses. These buildings will be built but it will be in due time!! I like the way the developers are looking at the idea on the time span for the Golden shore project!! by the time they get entitlements for this project which could be about 2 years from now the market conditions could be much better, by the time the actual buildings are finished in about 5 yrs Im sure conditions will be back to normal. Edgewater was a transaction that looked good when they were trying to get entitlements but once they did the market began to cool down!! So you do what all smart business people do, you wait...so that you can make a profit, not become so anxiouse that you make a bad business move and loose money!
i totally agree with you, but for edgewater i would imagine that it was being planned a long time ago and probably received entitlements close to 4 yrs ago. at that point the market was booming and costs like steel were far cheaper.

the fact is that the only place developers can make residential projects pencil out is along ocean. it's the only place will be willing to pay $600 and up per square foot due to the ocean views. so they can make these projects come alive right now along ocean, but i can see why they have cold feet and might want to wait.

one project that i think we can all agree upon that doesn't fall into this category would be an adaptive reuse project. the one that i'm still hoping for is 110 w. ocean blvd, the ocean center building. for those that don't know which one that is, it's the old white one across ocean from the rock bottom brewery. it's in the heart of our downtown and looks like shit. the funny thing on that one is that the developer is more then willing and is running into major roadblocks from city planning people and historical preservation officers.

that's a great example of doesn't make sense to me and it should be a frustration for all that live here.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 5:27 AM

updated first page with Golden Shore project.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drisee View Post
the fact is that the only place developers can make residential projects pencil out is along ocean. it's the only place will be willing to pay $600 and up per square foot due to the ocean views. so they can make these projects come alive right now along ocean, but i can see why they have cold feet and might want to wait.

I think some of the projects along ocean blvd will depend on how well West Ocean Tower is going to sell. It is the cream of the crop and if that doesn't go well in today's market, then no developer is going to shell out money knowing the chance of failure is high.

The housing market is a cycle; the previous down cycle lasted more than 10 years so I don't really expect the market to pick up soon. In the meantime, retails are also down so it looks like the economy is going to be tough for a while. I am just hoping that Downtown Long Beach is a little more resilent compared to the rest of the country so the recent completed condos projects that are still on sale can survive this wave.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 5:34 PM
"Ar n' Duthchas"

Talking Press–Telegram Building Careful Major Renovation

A NEW VISION FOR LOFT LIVING IN DOWNTOWN LONG BEACH
Downtown Long Beach is emerging as one of the Southland’s premier urban environments, featuring charming neighborhoods with surprising streetscapes and an eclectic mix of residences, businesses and entertainment venues. This vibrant seaside community offers dining, shopping, entertainment, arts and culture activities for residents and visitors alike. Centrally located, between Los Angeles and Orange County, downtown Long Beach offers an efficient mass transportation system connecting people to the major Southern California sightseeing and attractions.
Drawn to this urban area of leisure and entertainment are creative, lifestyle-minded southern Californians searching for interesting housing solutions, which they tailor to individual their style. They are energetic and active people, who want to be in the heart of the downtown, by the ocean, where things are happening. They prefer an urban lifestyle that suits their creative nature.
The 1924 Press–Telegram building will undergo a careful major renovation, transitioning the outdated commercial space into residential lofts with a grand ground floor lobby. The remaining site allows for newer construction where a combination of flats and townhouses appreciate architectural loft-style floor plans. A symphony of artistic building designs brings together the architectural history of the past with a sophisticated new expression.
At the Press–Telegram Lofts you will discover premium quality at every turn with spectacular amenities, such as 14 foot ceilings and hardwood floors, culminating in a convenient downtown location. The true loft-style interiors remove the conventions of traditional living by empowering you to create and design a personal living space.
With an eye towards environmentally friendly conservation, the Press–Telegram Lofts aspire to succeed the qualifications of a Green Building through the use of renewable materials and innovative design. A Press–Telegram Loft provides the freedom to create an intimate personal living space at prices that are surprisingly affordable.
Visit downtown Long Beach today, and explore the excitement and enjoyment of living in the only urban seaside environment in Southern California.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 6:56 PM

Wink press telegram project

This project is awesome but how is this project going to attract future residents since long beach's housing market has stopped for the time being.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regboi21 View Post
This project is awesome but how is this project going to attract future residents since long beach's housing market has stopped for the time being.
Damn good question. i keep asking the city that one. I would rather focus our attention making the downtown a better place to be for the people that are already here.

as for this project, as far as i know it's not going anywhere anyways. we've discussed it before on this board, the project is being redesigned and will have to go back through the planning process again. rumor is that they can't afford to build two towers so the new plans will call for one tower only.

anyone know anything differerent. they are still cleaning out the building and started taking down some of the historical pieces along the outside to be refurbished i assume.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 6:46 AM
SC made me a hippie

What are the HOA fees like at Pacifica and 133 Prom. walk today? Are the prices of the units going down due to the market? Should people who are looking into buying wait a few more months to see if housing prices go even lower?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 7:44 PM
"Ar n' Duthchas"

Talking Promenade HOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruzGuy View Post
What are the HOA fees like at Pacifica and 133 Prom. walk today? Are the prices of the units going down due to the market? Should people who are looking into buying wait a few more months to see if housing prices go even lower?

Nothing to write home about thats for sure , we are all waiting the build out of the restaurant on Broadway to open so we can all get 2nd and in my case 2rd jobs to pay the dreaded HOA. but it hasn't changed in either direction so its for the best for now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West