HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 2:02 AM

Good Good!
Now let's get this election out of the way with some development friendly councilors and a new municipal plan.

Business Confidence High in Province

Quote:
Business confidence in Newfoundland and Labrador is the second-highest in the country according to the Canadian Federation of Independent Business. The CFIB's Business Barometer Index for the province jumped back over the 70 mark for the first time since last year and is second only to Saskatchewan.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...37895&latest=1

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 2:04 AM

Also NEW OIL

NOIA Talks New Oil

Quote:
NOIA says it will be at least 10 years before first oil flows from the Flemish Pass, but says Statoil first needs to determine if the resource is viable. The Norwegian-based company announced Tuesday that it had made a third discovery, Bay du Nord.

NOIA President Bob Cadigan says it's no secret that Statoil wants to be an operator in this province, but says the company still has quite a bit of work to do. He says the company will have to drill a number of wells and do a lot of geophysical work to assess what they have.

Cadigan says three discoveries in the Flemish Pass bodes well for future development given that, on average, one in 10 wells shows hydrocarbons.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...37871&latest=1

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 2:12 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Good Good!
Now let's get this election out of the way with some development friendly councilors and a new municipal plan.
Good advice - and with each of these new oil discoveries the future looks more and more confident, at least for Newfoundland!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 10:43 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 9:49 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I also posted this in the Canada section:

Quote:
Jellybean row houses help establish “The Rock’s” growing prosperity

ALEX CARRICK

Chief Economist, CanaData

The rest of Canada is gradually coming around to a new mindset with respect to Newfoundland and Labrador.

Offshore oil riches, combined with a surge in mining activity, have dramatically altered the old image of the province as fisheries-dependent, with an accompanying high off-season unemployment rate.

The alteration is helped by a visit to “The Rock”. The sheltering harbour of St. John’s is a picturesque wonder, as are the brightly-coloured houses aligned side-by-side in what is known locally as jellybean-row style.
Continue reading: http://www.journalofcommerce.com/article/id56842

The article talks in depth about housing prices etc.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 2:04 PM

Solid Hiring Climate in Fourth Quarter Expected: Manpower

Another positive note for the region.

VOCM, Sept 10, 2013

Quote:
Manpower says St. John's area employers expect a solid hiring climate for the fourth quarter of 2013. The latest Manpower Employer Outlook Survey reveals that 27 per cent of employers plan to hire for the upcoming quarter, while 3 per cent anticipate cutbacks.

Another 63 per cent plan to maintain their current staffing levels in the upcoming quarter, while 7 per cent are unsure about their hiring intentions. Manpower says the hiring climate for the fourth quarter is more positive than the previous quarter and the same time a year ago.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...38313&latest=1

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 8:53 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that St. John's will be hosting the 2014 AHL All-star Classic. This will be a pretty decent economic generator for the city.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 12:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We're going to lead Atlantic Canada in major project spending:

Atlantic Business Magazine

In total, $36 billion in capital spending is planned by the provincial government in 2013.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

NOIA has an interactive map to view ongoing oil and gas exploration on the east coast.

http://maps.noiamap.ca/noiamap/

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:45 PM

^^ wow that's great

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 7:35 PM

I'm now getting settled away in Fredericton, which is a really neat little city by the way, and I'm getting to encounter people from across the country and talk about Newfoundland on occassion.

By and large, everyone I speak to, including people from Ontario, BC, etc... view NL as a "have" province now. So that concept is catching on. They are really shocked when I mention how high our unemployment rate is.

Sadly, it takes effort to make people believe I'm from Newfoundland because I don't sound like a cartoon character off Republic of Doyle (which, you have to admit, lays it on pretty thick at times). Over a few drinks last weekend I got kind of wound up on a particular topic and my half french/Bay St. George thing came out instead, which threw some for a bit of a loop haha.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 7:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Hahaha, awesome.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 8:38 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
I'm now getting settled away in Fredericton, which is a really neat little city by the way, and I'm getting to encounter people from across the country and talk about Newfoundland on occassion.

By and large, everyone I speak to, including people from Ontario, BC, etc... view NL as a "have" province now. So that concept is catching on. They are really shocked when I mention how high our unemployment rate is.

Sadly, it takes effort to make people believe I'm from Newfoundland because I don't sound like a cartoon character off Republic of Doyle (which, you have to admit, lays it on pretty thick at times). Over a few drinks last weekend I got kind of wound up on a particular topic and my half french/Bay St. George thing came out instead, which threw some for a bit of a loop haha.
I noticed that two local formers have left NL and presumably found it advantageous to move to provinces that are supposedly even more economically depressed than NL. What is going on there guys, and why isn't NL getting it's economic act together?? I know sometimes there are other reasons for leaving, (I know that well) but is this still a pattern??

LOL @ "I don't sound like a cartoon character off Republic of Doyle".

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I noticed that two local formers have left NL and presumably found it advantageous to move to provinces that are supposedly even more economically depressed than NL. What is going on there guys, and why isn't NL getting it's economic act together?? I know sometimes there are other reasons for leaving, (I know that well) but is this still a pattern??

NL still needs to work on diversifying their economy. As economically challenged as PEI may be, there's a somewhat healthy bioscience sector aside from the main tourism/farming industry.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
In total, $36 billion in capital spending is planned by the provincial government in 2013.
That number sounds really high for just one year of spending...that's like our entire GDP...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 9:27 PM

Quote:

more young people are staying than I can ever remember .. especially in SJ. a couple of friends of mine did a degree in something that notorious for not having jobs here and they struggled for like 5 months and she planned to move to Edmonton .. they they were all offered multiple jobs by different companies and government. It all just depends on the industry ... however it's very good here right now. Anywhere there is a place with a school of something .. many of those graduates will have to leave the region for work (it would have to be CRAZY growth in every single job area to keep up with the output of graduates every year) ... I'm sure if there was more office space more tertiary industry companies would set up ... all in time .. 10 years ago there was like zero hope for the economy hahah as they say "Rome wasn't built in a day"

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:

For me, it's strictly to continue my education. I finished a degree from MUN and found some work with an Arts degree of all things, but there was really no future in doing temporary/part-time work for the government which, in all honesty, never really held my interest.

I will definitely be returning to the province though. I have no doubt about that, I like it there too much. Cartoon accents and all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
more young people are staying than I can ever remember .. especially in SJ. a couple of friends of mine did a degree in something that notorious for not having jobs here and they struggled for like 5 months and she planned to move to Edmonton .. they they were all offered multiple jobs by different companies and government. It all just depends on the industry ... however it's very good here right now. Anywhere there is a place with a school of something .. many of those graduates will have to leave the region for work (it would have to be CRAZY growth in every single job area to keep up with the output of graduates every year) ... I'm sure if there was more office space more tertiary industry companies would set up ... all in time .. 10 years ago there was like zero hope for the economy hahah as they say "Rome wasn't built in a day"
This is very true. Just as an example, I think about my high school graduating class. I only know of a handful of our class of 160 who left the province for education. When I started high school in grade 9 a lot of the graduates at that time, who were going on to universities, went outside the province because the chances of finding work in St. John's or Newfoundland in general were quite low and they'd have to leave anyway. From friends that are teachers today, I'm told that for the most part the only graduates who leave for post-secondary now are the one's who get scholarships either due to academics or athletics. I even remember my mom telling me not to go to university in NL because there was no future here. How times have changed...

A friend of mine became an electrician and after getting his certifications done ended up deciding to stay in Stephenville. He's a pretty smart guy, and after doing the math on costs of living and earnings in Alberta, came to the conclusion that it makes more sense for him to work in rural NL. You make half as much but costs of living are about 1/3rd of Alberta and you come out ahead. Staying is becoming a more and more viable option all the time.

As long as St. John's continues to succeed Newfoundland will be looked at favourably for business expansion. Eventually that success will trickle outward a bit, even if it's just the ability for other places to say "Hey look! We're in NL too!! Come check us out!". The biggest barrier to business attraction has been torn down, North America now knows we've joined them in the 21st century.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 1:06 AM

Many people are not getting educated in areas where there are jobs. Just like anywhere there are jobs in certains areas and few in others.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 8:19 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
For me, it's strictly to continue my education.
Sorry, I missed or forgot that - and my comment was meant to be a comment and question about the general trends. There will always be a variety of reasons for people to leave, just as there are to move there from other places, but with NL it's always been mostly people who were forced to leave economically and did not want to that seemed to predominate.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 1:24 AM

Quote:
For me, it's strictly to continue my education. I finished a degree from MUN and found some work with an Arts degree of all things, but there was really no future in doing temporary/part-time work for the government which, in all honesty, never really held my interest.
I know this is off-topic, but what are you studying in NB?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's