HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 10:18 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Looks like this is going north of Salt River Fields along Via de Ventura.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...r-park-to.html

Indoor? Why well, whatever never heard of a "family friendly resort" outside of Disney but with it being in close proximity to the Cassino and Old town plus spring training I can see what they are thinking.
This is EXCELLENT! Great Wolf Lodge is awesome and will be an attraction by itself. They have Great Wolf Lodges at Kings Island, Cedar Point, Pigeon Forge and a few other places. They are great to stay at and are huge.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 10:25 PM
Modulator

Speaking of Scottsdale, an FAA evaluation was submitted for a crane at nearly 300' tall. I can only assume a tower crane would be that height? The timeframe is well over a year, so something big must be getting built. This is around the Kierland area. Anyone have any other info? I can't find what is getting built.

Quote:
Overview

Study (ASN): 2018-AWP-255-OE
Prior Study:

Received Date: 01/16/2018
Entered Date: 01/16/2018
Map: View Map

Construction Info Structure Summary

Notice Of: CONSTR
Duration: TEMP (Months: 18 Days: 0)
Work Schedule: 02/05/2018 to 06/05/2020

Structure Type: Crane
Structure Name: 15125 N Scottsdale Rd. Scottsdale, AZ
FCC Number:

Structure Details Height and Elevation

Latitude (NAD 83): 33° 37' 26.10" N
Longitude (NAD 83): 111° 55' 20.40" W
Datum: NAD 83
City: Scottsdale
State: AZ
Nearest County: Maricopa

Proposed

Site Elevation:

Structure Height:

Total Height (AMSL):

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Speaking of Scottsdale, an FAA evaluation was submitted for a crane at nearly 300' tall. I can only assume a tower crane would be that height? The timeframe is well over a year, so something big must be getting built. This is around the Kierland area. Anyone have any other info? I can't find what is getting built.
When I plugged in the coordinates to google earth, the empty building pad at Scottsdale Quarter is where it zoomed in on. Maybe they are ramping up for the final building? Has anyone seen anything submitted to design review?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusloop99 View Post
When I plugged in the coordinates to google earth, the empty building pad at Scottsdale Quarter is where it zoomed in on. Maybe they are ramping up for the final building? Has anyone seen anything submitted to design review?
Using my google-fu I found an old article from the Scottsdale Airpark News in 2015 that states the final plans included a hotel. Could it be this?

Also - why would you put up a 300ft crane if you’re not building at least 200ft? Gotta figure its something tall...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:20 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Using my google-fu I found an old article from the Scottsdale Airpark News in 2015 that states the final plans included a hotel. Could it be this?

Also - why would you put up a 300ft crane if you’re not building at least 200ft? Gotta figure its something tall...
I posted a FAA evaluation that was submitted for a building that was about 200' a couple weeks ago that appeared to be around the Kierland Optima development. I wonder if these could be related to the same development? I'll try to dig up some more info. It would be awesome to see the Kierland area going taller.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
I posted a FAA evaluation that was submitted for a building that was about 200' a couple weeks ago that appeared to be around the Kierland Optima development. I wonder if these could be related to the same development? I'll try to dig up some more info. It would be awesome to see the Kierland area going taller.
I’d say this is in addition to. Clearly different location based on lat/long and project dates (the Kierland project was supposed to start in a year IIRC). I’d really think a 296’ FT crane would mean around 250ft - a 100ft diff from crane top to building top seems a bit much (but I could be wrong).

Wonder if the Kierland project decided to go for more height based on demand and this project. Would be really nice to see some taller buildings in that area.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 6:07 PM

WaterView Components Surge Forward

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Looks like this is going north of Salt River Fields along Via de Ventura.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...r-park-to.html

Indoor? Why well, whatever never heard of a "family friendly resort" outside of Disney but with it being in close proximity to the Cassino and Old town plus spring training I can see what they are thinking.
Yes, really! They will have indoor water parks. Just only for the kids, not an adults.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 4:21 AM
self-important urbanista

A key question was what people call the area from Chaparral Road to Earll Drive and Miller Road to 65th Street. The area encompasses Scottsdale Fashion Square mall, Civic Center Park and library, the city's spring-training ballpark, the Museum of the West and dozens of restaurants and shops.

The city had long referred to the area as "Downtown Scottsdale," with "Old Town" used to refer to the city's historic core. But that's about to change.

The city this week announced a rebranding effort that will refer to the entire area as "Old Town Scottsdale." A new logo includes "Old Town Scottsdale" with an eight-spike spur, representing the area's districts.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...on/1065895001/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 5:37 AM
Skyriser

I was kind of shocked to see Phoenix do so well on those rankings.

That it's perceived as safer than Downtown Tempe is a monumental achievement compared to 10 years ago.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 12:50 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I was kind of shocked to see Phoenix do so well on those rankings.

That it's perceived as safer than Downtown Tempe is a monumental achievement compared to 10 years ago.
Yes, it's interesting. Scottsdale residents were understandably more favorably inclined towards their own city, but metro area residents seem to rank Phoenix and Scottsdale nearly the same in most categories. Tempe seems to get a bum rap. I find the panhandlers on Mill generally pretty passive.

Another thought: I wonder if Scottsdale's preference for "Old Town" over "Downtown" is another reflection of Scottsdale's desire to deny its urban identity. Having a "Downtown" is sort of like having light rail -- a sign of urbanity that many Scottsdale leaders and residents would rather not embrace.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 1:24 PM

I've referred to Central Scottsdale as old Town for as long as I can remember.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post

Another thought: I wonder if Scottsdale's preference for "Old Town" over "Downtown" is another reflection of Scottsdale's desire to deny its urban identity. Having a "Downtown" is sort of like having light rail -- a sign of urbanity that many Scottsdale leaders and residents would rather not embrace.
I dunno - I think the preference for ‘Old Town’ over ‘Downtown’ has less to do with any denial of the state of things. Its been ‘Old Town’ for as long as I can recall (I moved here in 1988). I think it has more to do with sticking with branding that is well known.

Personally - I tend to think of ‘Old Town’ as being a bit more dense and urban that most other areas in the valley. I do suspect as the baby boomers fade and their obsession with the whole western/old-town thing goes with them that this area will go vertical - but with residential and not necessarily office space. Just may take another 10-20 years.

And it always seemed to me that the Airpark was much more corporate/office space than ‘Old Town’ anyhow - and thanks to Kierland/City of Phoenix, that area is starting to go vertical and may become more of what people traditionally think of as a ‘downtown’ area.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:55 PM

https://azbigmedia.com/optima-reinve...noran-village/

Looks like Optima will complete the empty lot on SE corner 68th street and Camelback

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 9:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
https://azbigmedia.com/optima-reinve...noran-village/

Looks like Optima will complete the empty lot on SE corner 68th street and Camelback
I was worried that beautiful project would have that big hole for a long time. Great news.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 10:40 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post

Well, the FAA evaluation has been completed and this is what it says:

Quote:
Description of Proposal: Construction of a new 8 above grade stories and 2 below grade stories. the application is for a tower crane to assist concrete & Framing & building of this new apartment complex. the tower crane will be on site from 4/13/2018 to 4/26/2019 and will be removed on or by 4/26/2019

I have no idea why they submitted a tower crane height of 296' for 8 floors unless it's a typo and supposed to be 196' which would be more appropriate. You've got me. Anyway, I can't find any information on what the development is. The address listed is 15125 N Scottsdale Rd if anyone wants to take a crack at it. I found several permits on the Scottsdale permits site, but not much info there.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 12:30 AM

Does anyone know what the former Barney's store at Fashion Square is going to be? Construction is well underway on something.

There were rumors of an Apple store. I'm surprised that there hasn't been any local reporting on it...

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Does anyone know what the former Barney's store at Fashion Square is going to be? Construction is well underway on something.

There were rumors of an Apple store. I'm surprised that there hasn't been any local reporting on it...
Looks like yes, part of the Barney's space will be an Apple store.

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...fashion-square

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Looks like yes, part of the Barney's space will be an Apple store.

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...fashion-square
Hadn't seen that article, thanks!

Seems like they're definitely trying to keep it quiet for some reason...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Well, the FAA evaluation has been completed and this is what it says:

I have no idea why they submitted a tower crane height of 296' for 8 floors unless it's a typo and supposed to be 196' which would be more appropriate. You've got me. Anyway, I can't find any information on what the development is. The address listed is 15125 N Scottsdale Rd if anyone wants to take a crack at it. I found several permits on the Scottsdale permits site, but not much info there.
Ah - that is the final Scottsdale Quarters parcel.

Was supposed to be a hotel - but was changed to be condos/apartments. Height adjusted to 8 floors too - matches up with what I found on Scottsdale’s website. Of course 8 floors - 20ft between them? That’d be 160’ - but even so the crane seems rather high...unless there’s a spire!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest