HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 12:10 AM

Meh. Most arena shows are overrated. Most bands that do arena tours are overrated too (yes, there are some that are worth listening to, but by and large...)

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 12:45 AM
Derp

True, granted the spin-off from such concerts is what Calgary may also miss out on, ie. food/drink revenue, hotel stays etc. not to mention it also may push them further down the "destination" list for performers/tours that, flavor of the week or not, are typically large draws with huge fan bases.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 12:58 AM
City of Blinding Lights

At the moment I am not really bothered by any of this. BUT I was just thinking if U2 does a world tour and they don't come to Calgary due to Arena restrictions then I will TOTALLY cry!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
Okay, I'll agree that they are good for business but culturally enlightening? Hell no! They are mass produced culture hogs if anything.

Hey! Don't be dissing the 'dome, it's one of the few iconic pieces of architecture this city has.

It's correct interpretation is as utter crap though!

True. Everybody has the right to their own opinion, but what is also true is that everybody else has the right to slag them for it.
Thanks for this Riise!! I can appreciate what you're trying to say...I'm not saying all the pop acts are culturally enlightening (persay)...However, I think the opportunity to go to a concert (any concert) improves cultural aspects of the city...I try to keep an open mind, and keep personal opinion of specific artists out of it...Example, I could personally care less if Metallica didn't come here, but I appreciate what it means to fans of Metallica to have them play here this weekend...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Is there any way that a great new venue could be built that also manages to still be a deterrent to all the artists you list above?
Thanks Finkprof. My sentiments exactly.

Sorry Doug, no insult intended. As far as I'm concerned Rush has graced our presence... and now I have peace. What we might want to do is set up an extreme fighting ring, featuring the coalition vs Calgary. If the structural integrity of the dome is questionable in this respect, we could opt for Olympic Park or drop the coalition off in the East Village, say at midnight... ?

I jest

Last edited by Beazley66; Dec 4, 2008 at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinCalgary View Post
the one im gonna miss is ACDC
Yeah, wtf happened there?

AC/DC never missed Calgary & Edmonton with any of their other tours... what's with this Toronto & Vancouver only bullshit this time?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 3:24 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
Yeah, wtf happened there?

AC/DC never missed Calgary & Edmonton with any of their other tours... what's with this Toronto & Vancouver only bullshit this time?
Sadly, there is a lot of Toronto & Vancouver concert bullshit!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 4:32 PM

AC/DC is definitely not coming here? they always come here and they always sell out. There are 2 bands I want to see before they retire, one is Metallica who I am going to see tomorrow, the other is AC/DC.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 4:33 PM

We need a football stadium downtown, obviously with a roof so we can get more major bands through.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 7:43 PM

Edmonton will be getting a new state-of-the-art arena within 4-5 years that can host these shows, and it would be great if Calgary could get one soon as well.

That would give this province a nice 2 city stop for these big acts that skip over Edmonton and Calgary.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
AC/DC is definitely not coming here?
I got a feeling there will be a round two of North American shows this summer... if they're hitting Fargo & Omaha this tour I doubt they're going to pass up on places like Montreal, Calgary & Edmonton.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 8:32 PM

I'm expecting AC/DC to come through Alberta next June or July.

This isn't based on anything besides the fact that these geezers haven't toured in about 8 years and they aren't stupid when it comes to making money.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 11:14 PM
Futurist

Well, I was kind of bummed to see that the stage and flying rig for Metallica's "in the round" performance was shoved off to one side of the arena last night, being as I was on the far away end of things. Too bad, but the show was still freaking amazing. Better that way then to not have them here at all.

Their sound setup worked a lot better than other acts I've seen at the Dome though, such as Ozzy and Def Leppard.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 11:40 PM
City of Blinding Lights

The stage for that show was HUGE!! /\ /\ /\

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 4:11 AM
the goggles do nothing

Man I still smell like a pothead from last night.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexzero View Post
Their sound setup worked a lot better than other acts I've seen at the Dome though, such as Ozzy and Def Leppard.
Yeah, when I saw them 4 years ago the sound engineering was terrible. The bass drowned out the guitars and vocals quite a bit. Really a shame.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 5:05 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
I got a feeling there will be a round two of North American shows this summer... if they're hitting Fargo & Omaha this tour I doubt they're going to pass up on places like Montreal, Calgary & Edmonton.
Don't discount Fargo as a tour stop. It's a tiny city but the Fargodome is an impressive facility that manages to attract top talent on a regular basis. Somehow it manages to sell out all the time, too.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
Britney Spears just announced her North American tour today, and as no suprise, she is passing over Calgary due to Structural Integrity issues between her stage and the Saddledome...and she's not the first! In the last year we've missed out on Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Carrie Underwood, Tim McGraw, Celine Dion...and I'm sure many, many more due to these issues! Love these artists or hate them, it would sure be nice to have the choice to see them in Calgary as opposed to having to make the trek to Edmonton...Does anyone else feel ripped off on this?? What options would they have to fix it, if any?? Would we just need an all out new stadium??

/rant here!!
I couldn't care less about any of those acts, but from a business point of view it would be good to see the concerts come through. They do generate some business, albeit not much, but it's still business whether a big amount or a small amount.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexzero View Post
Well, I was kind of bummed to see that the stage and flying rig for Metallica's "in the round" performance was shoved off to one side of the arena last night, being as I was on the far away end of things. Too bad, but the show was still freaking amazing. Better that way then to not have them here at all.

I loved it, I was on the close side. What a show! the boys seem to be in classic form, and the sound / light setup was far better than any show I've seen in the dome.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Don't discount Fargo as a tour stop. It's a tiny city but the Fargodome is an impressive facility that manages to attract top talent on a regular basis. Somehow it manages to sell out all the time, too.
No shit, I just checked is out on Wikipedia... pretty impressive building. I've heard of a couple indoor NCAA football stadiums with around 20 - 30 000 capacity now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation