HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 3:15 PM

Yep, that is what the other route would be.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 3:52 PM

Those WLRT stations sure look a lot better than any of our current stations. Particularly excited for the underground Westrbrook station. That will be very cool.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post
Those WLRT stations sure look a lot better than any of our current stations. Particularly excited for the underground Westrbrook station. That will be very cool.
On the topic of the underground station, I am curious to see how this station will be heated in the winter. I imagine that the trains will push/drag some cold air in and suck some warm air out.

Will there be air curtains on either side (you know - like some shops have that blow a lukewarm wall of air down by the door to keep the cold air out and the warm air in so they can have the doors open in winter - every shop in Banff seems to have one)? Or maybe it won't be heated inside at all as it would still be better for passengers than being fully exposed to the elements. And probably inefficient to heat anyway. Thoughts?

In a completely underground system it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but in this instance it is a bit different as the trains will only be underground for this station.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
On the topic of the underground station, I am curious to see how this station will be heated in the winter. I imagine that the trains will push/drag some cold air in and suck some warm air out.

Will there be air curtains on either side (you know - like some shops have that blow a lukewarm wall of air down by the door to keep the cold air out and the warm air in so they can have the doors open in winter - every shop in Banff seems to have one)? Or maybe it won't be heated inside at all as it would still be better for passengers than being fully exposed to the elements. And probably inefficient to heat anyway. Thoughts?

In a completely underground system it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but in this instance it is a bit different as the trains will only be underground for this station.
I would imangine it will be like Edmonton, which has elecric heaters at the platform level but nothing to restrict air movement down the tunnels. It works reasonably well in Edmonton except for at Grandin station which is located close to a portal.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 11:31 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Yep. The new LRV's will be cool to see all on their own, really we've only got a year or so before they will start arriving anyways.
I see from the pictures that the seating is all parallel to the sides of the car, metro style. Are there any plans to bring this kind of seating to the rest of the fleet? It sure improves capacity of the vehicles, which is a good thing.

Exterior looks a lot more modern too.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 11:45 PM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 22, 2010 at 6:06 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 12:16 AM

I think it would be a more efficient idea to do a south-west line. Makes dealing with the Stephan ave tunnel a lot easier in short term because you don't have to deal with the subway getting up to grade to get on to the NW bridge. Save that for when the platforms are upgraded. Even then the tunnel may not be needed for a while.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 1:37 AM

Only issue with a WLRT-South line and the tunnel as we understand it will be aligned is that you then have the issue of connecting the tunnel at the west end of downtown. If the tunnel comes down 8th you'd either need to close 8th off to traffic and shift the new 11th Street station a block south, or somehow jump a block north and come to grade before hitting the station and the elevated track at 11th Street. The first option would require likely tunneling below the armoury and modifying the approved alignment, whereas the second there may just not be enough room to make such a transition. On the other hand the tunnel likely won't happen until the NE and NW are all upgraded, so moving the routes back to their current setup at that time wouldn't cause a capacity issue by dropping the ability to run the longer consists

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 3:44 AM

I've been looking over the West LRT web site tonight and had a few random thoughts...

Do you think the line will ever be extended to 85th Street? I thought the City had bought land there for subsidized housing, plus there is a big shopping complex going up at that intersection.

The area around the 69th station is going to be changed dramatically with all of the projects going on there... the new C-Train station, the new high school, the new Ambrose university college, the WestSide Rec expansion, and the various commercial developments. Between Ambrose, the new high school, and Rundle college, there will now be 3000 students in the immediate area during the daytime.

I'd have to nominate the "West 17th Lofts" project right across the street from there as one of the worst conceived projects of the boom. Luxury $1m+ urban loft townhomes on the fringe of suburbia? They've been trying to sell them for over 3 years and they still haven't sold out. http://www.west17lofts.com/

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 3:47 AM

I can't wait for the commercial development at 85th St.

One of my favorite restaurants in Calgary is opening up there.

It will be amazing how much activity will be around 69th St. when all is said and done.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 3:59 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
I've been looking over the West LRT web site tonight and had a few random thoughts...

Do you think the line will ever be extended to 85th Street? I thought the City had bought land there for subsidized housing, plus there is a big shopping complex going up at that intersection.

The area around the 69th station is going to be changed dramatically with all of the projects going on there... the new C-Train station, the new high school, the new Ambrose university college, the WestSide Rec expansion, and the various commercial developments. Between Ambrose, the new high school, and Rundle college, there will now be 3000 students in the immediate area during the daytime.

I'd have to nominate the "West 17th Lofts" project right across the street from there as one of the worst conceived projects of the boom. Luxury $1m+ urban loft townhomes on the fringe of suburbia? They've been trying to sell them for over 3 years and they still haven't sold out. http://www.west17lofts.com/
"Reasonably priced at $1.2 million and up"

Their website sucks too. Aspen Landing is going to be interesting, I'm hoping it doesn't turn into Westhills 2.0.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 4:12 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 22, 2010 at 6:07 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
The same question was asked on the first page of this thread, and this was my reply:
Ah, thanks! ... I skimmed through the older portion of the thread but obviously missed your post.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 5:19 AM

Actually as a followup to my earlier comments, it may not be that hard actually to route a connection from a tunnel under 8th onto 7th. Took a look around while I was downtown tonight and theres 2 parking lots currently on the corners that the tunnel would need to cross through and one of them would need to be crossed for connecting to the NW as well.

You could likely keep it in the tunnel then remove the current tracks on 7th between 9th and 10th street and build a portal there to come back above ground. Like any connection to the SAS though its going to require shutting down a block for weeks if not months though.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 7:11 AM
I'm the bear on the right

I've always thought that this would certainly be possible, for now anyway. The City needs to get going (if they haven't already) to buy up some of the parcels needed, even if they aren't needed for a while.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post

As mentioned, in Edmonton there is only heat registers to warm up the air. The University station is very cold in the winter requiring you to be fully zipped up due to the ambient temperature and the occasional wind blowing in. Even in the downtown area it is not warm enough in the winter to be walking around the stations in just a shirt. Still, I loved using the underground station as it kept you out of the wind and moisture.

It's too bad that the 26th Street station isn't better protected from the gusty winds that will blow in from the mountains. Also, he underground station will most likely be freezing cold down on the platform, but will probably be a lot warmer as you go up the escalator.

s.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 9:17 PM

Yep. All that also keeps with the policies both CT and ETS have that are aimed to preventing loitering around the stations by not heating them much. I personally don't mind the approach, even if they just use the basic heat lamps they use at the University station right at the doors it wouldn't be too bad.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 9:26 PM

All good points re: the heating of an underground station.

I hadn't really thought of Mersar's point about the loitering, but the average commuter will only be there for a few minutes. Heating the station would primarily benefit those staying longer and loitering.

And, as I mentioned before, being out of the wind will be a big plus anyway.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 11:18 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 22, 2010 at 6:07 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Only issue with a WLRT-South line and the tunnel as we understand it will be aligned is that you then have the issue of connecting the tunnel at the west end of downtown. If the tunnel comes down 8th you'd either need to close 8th off to traffic and shift the new 11th Street station a block south, or somehow jump a block north and come to grade before hitting the station and the elevated track at 11th Street. The first option would require likely tunneling below the armoury and modifying the approved alignment, whereas the second there may just not be enough room to make such a transition. On the other hand the tunnel likely won't happen until the NE and NW are all upgraded, so moving the routes back to their current setup at that time wouldn't cause a capacity issue by dropping the ability to run the longer consists
Calgary's long term plan is to separate the 201 and 202 into two distinct lines with no track sharing. The 201 will exclusively use the proposed 8th avenue tunnel, and the 202 will exclusively use the 7th avenue alignment. The new southeast line with have a new north-south tunnel under downtown Calgary under 2nd street west I believe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure