HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 12:58 PM
Moran supreme

All on hold while the city quietly buys properties in the affected area and then bulldozes the homes on the lots they've bought. Easier to push such a project through in the future if you already own most of the affected properties.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 3:59 PM

This one:
https://www.google.com/maps/myplaces...z=360&t=h&z=21

has been sitting empty for awhile. I wonder if the city bought it, though I'm not sure how it would play into the realignment.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
This one:
https://www.google.com/maps/myplaces...z=360&t=h&z=21

has been sitting empty for awhile. I wonder if the city bought it, though I'm not sure how it would play into the realignment.
Wasn't this one a grow-op that got taken out? I don't think it has much to do with the street alignment as it doesn't appear to be in the way really.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 8:07 PM
Moran supreme

In my community and yes, it was a grow op. Won't be needed for any McKnight work - suspect who ever owns it is just sitting on it for right now, waiting for the right time to build a duplex or two infills.

These lots are most likely good examples of properties the CoC is quietly buying up as they all were in the way of the city's plans which by the way, have quietly disappeared...

Highwood #1
Thorncliffe #1
Highland Park #1
Highland Park #2
Highland Park #3

Businesses have been preparing as well - Seven Eleven on Centre and McKnight has owned the property (maybe 2) directly to the north of their current site for many years now.

The CBE has also moved any of their regular programs out of their facility on the south side of McKnight Boulevard east of Centre Street and now leases that facility out.

Much easier to bring about a controversial corridor change if you own most of the affected properties - it will take some time but the CoC is in no great hurry on this project and time will just allow them to buy up properties as they come on the market.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 10:34 PM

Does the city have an online database of houses it rents out? I remember seeing a list at one time for another city. If it did, that would be a clear indicator where the city is planning future projects.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 4:06 PM

Bumping an old thread. It looks like the city wants to install signals along John Laurie Blvd.

Calgary needs traffic lights at 3 intersections along John Laurie Boulevard: city

Quote:
Officials said collisions have increased at three intersections along John Laurie Boulevard: Brisebois Drive N.W., Charleswood Drive N.W. and 19 Street N.W.
https://globalnews.ca/news/8412149/c...rie-boulevard/

If they're going to install signals, it would have been nice if they add a 3rd lane in each direction east of Shaganappi Tr during this past construction project.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 3:57 AM

[QUOTE=dmuzika;9464193]Bumping an old thread. It looks like the city wants to install signals along John Laurie Blvd.

Calgary needs traffic lights at 3 intersections along John Laurie Boulevard: city

If they're going to install signals, it would have been nice if they add a 3rd lane in each direction east of Shaganappi Tr during this past construction project.[/

The city installed all the bases and wiring when they rebuilt the road this summer. Not sure why they need to do public consultation after spending all that money already on the 3 intersections. The signals will be installed as needed. Which in my opinion should have been many moons ago

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 1:52 PM
Moran supreme

[QUOTE=msmariner;9465933]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
Bumping an old thread. It looks like the city wants to install signals along John Laurie Blvd.

If they're going to install signals, it would have been nice if they add a 3rd lane in each direction east of Shaganappi Tr during this past construction project.[/

The city installed all the bases and wiring when they rebuilt the road this summer. Not sure why they need to do public consultation after spending all that money already on the 3 intersections. The signals will be installed as needed. Which in my opinion should have been many moons ago
I don't think it's really a case of if any more.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post

If they're going to install signals, it would have been nice if they add a 3rd lane in each direction east of Shaganappi Tr during this past construction project.

Well sh&t....way to screw up a perfectly good road! Its also going to encourage much more traffic through the communities off those roads.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 8:40 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Well sh&t....way to screw up a perfectly good road! Its also going to encourage much more traffic through the communities off those roads.
It's *how* they use the signals that's going to screw up the road.

Doing things like no left turns during rush hour and right in, right out will limit the impact to the function of roadway, while allowing for those movements off-peak and increasing safety.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure