HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 12:40 AM

Local commercials

Inspired by Bob's Ultimate Meats, I thought I'd compile the good, the bad, and the ugly of local TV and radio commercials in London...

The good

Back when Porky's BBQ & Leisure (now just Porky's) first opened they had a series of radio commercials with a talking pig. It was priceless, and effective at getting your attention.

London Major Appliances has an awesome song. They even stream the whole thing on their website (http://www.londonmajorappliances.com/). Back around 2008 they had a series of commercials positioning themselves against big box retailers, with a high-pitched teen who knows nothing trying (or not trying) to help customers at some big box store. The commercials now still use the song but are uninspiring.

Bennett Truck Rentals had a series of ads a few years ago using that same high-pitched teen making an ass of himself while helping customers at an unnamed competitor.

Nieman Market Design had ads during the fall during the second half of 'A' News, which featured a really attractive young woman, looked to be Salvadorian. Said commercial started with this young woman serving drinks to other women from inside a cabinet.

The bad

Bob's Ultimate Meats (see other thread)

The ugly

Before Jason Sims started his own realty business, his ads under RE/MAX were awful. Some local website (possibly the London Fog) claimed kids at one London elementary school were walking around saying "Jason Sims...Jason Sims..." quizzically like in the commercial.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 3:10 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

Annoying radio ad-"This is Ron Aiken from Strathroy audio-video. The competition in London knows us, YOU SHOULD TOO!"

The way the guy talks is just priceless!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 3:56 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^

HAHAH! Roy Aitken! Sounds like he's 85 years old. I hear that radio commercial every day!

What about Teppermans?

Hi. I'm Noah Tepperman. And this is my Dad. Dad, I want to tell our customers about our incredible, best-ever, lowest prices ever sales event. Son, did you mention that there is no payments for two years, including taxes? Dad, that's too much to offer! Son, I'm telling you to do it; only don't tell your mother. OK, Dad.

Teppermans...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 3:57 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Highbury Ford!!! We're right there beside you!! We got what you're looking for! Here at Highbury Ford!!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 3:58 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Listen UP, CANADA, turn up the volume on LIFE!!!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 3:58 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Ray Ray Ray! Ray Cullen Chevrolet!!!!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 4:00 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Crazy Al's. The world's worst commercial. With the goddamn fuking morse code SOS in the background.

Hi, I'm Bonnie Brooks...

Ellen's Children shoes.

THE BIG YELLOW TENT! HOT-TUB EVENT!!!!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 4:09 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Finch me, I must be dreaming!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 2:11 PM

The Hully Gully guy. Reminds me of Roy Aiken. A Collins family store! On Wharncliffe South.

"Great relationships start with Poag's.....Jewellers!" Sounds very dated.

And then there's those Rogers ads. "Hi, I'm Roger, talking to a first-time caller from London!"

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 2:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

CAWWWWWPS-BUILD ALL!!
Let's renovate; let's renovate!
CAWWWWWPS-BUILD ALL!!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 4:25 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^

What about Teppermans?

Hi. I'm Noah Tepperman. And this is my Dad. Dad, I want to tell our customers about our incredible, best-ever, lowest prices ever sales event. Son, did you mention that there is no payments for two years, including taxes? Dad, that's too much to offer! Son, I'm telling you to do it; only don't tell your mother. OK, Dad.

Teppermans...
Teppermans, your lifestyle, your home, Teppermans!

It pisses me off how they always air the exact same commercials back-to-back!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 10:33 PM

I saw Nieman Market Design on TV last night again...damn, I wish I knew who that girl was. If I had my own business I'd hire her for my advertising. She's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen on that channel!!

Last edited by manny_santos; Jan 15, 2011 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 12:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS9CdONPDCE

Joiiiiiiiin research leading.......to healthier lives with KGK, Synergize! 8-5-8-8-3-5-9!

beep....beep....beep...(voiceover)

KGK, Synergize! 8-5-8-8-3-5-9!

What was with a medical laboratory locating in One London Place? Does that give them instant credibility in the business community or something?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 3:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Haha.

BOB'S....ULTIMATE....MEEEEEEEEEEEEETSSS!

It's really really good.

AT DUNDAS AND THIRD!!!!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 3:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

my favourite:

WESTERVELT COLLEGE!!!!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 3:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The guy on the back of the LTC bus. White shirt, tie, headset (for telemarketing). leering smile. great career there, buddy.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 3:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Centre...16657755023749

yep. The old man ("Ken") and his sons, and CTP. On facebook.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The guy on the back of the LTC bus. White shirt, tie, headset (for telemarketing). leering smile. great career there, buddy.
Start your new career TODAY!

Stream Global Services has advertised very heavily for a long time, although I know several people that work for them and they do little, if not no outbound telemarketing, mainly just inbound customer support. The London facility mostly handles inbound calls for Rogers.

They've had the same ads inside LTC buses that whole time, also have heard ads for them on the radio, and seen electronic boards at the JLC advertising them during Knights games. Must be desperate for people.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 4:26 PM

Although not the actual commercial, it is the slogan thingy mabober or whatever you call it.

I think it's innovative and genius!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TGGmZvhxeE

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 8:17 PM

Someone created a compilation of some of the Bob's Ultimate Meats commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNhiuEOwULI

NO DROOLING PLEASE!

I went into Gibraltar Weekend Market today for the first time. Bob's Ultimate Meats had a long lineup. Looked like one of the few places I'd actually buy something from. The rest of the place seemed really creepy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation