HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 2:19 AM
Torontonian Refugee

London walking tour suggestions?

Hi guys, I have a friend coming in from Toronto on Saturday and aside from a brief (3 days) trip to Montreal after graduating High School, this will literally be the first time she's visited another Canadian city. She's the ultimate "Toronto is the World" kind of character, but she's excited to see what a "small city" looks like.

What would be a good walking route to take that gives her a feel for London, but sorta hides its more shitty parts? Ideally I'd like to include the Forks, Harris Park, Richmond Row, Victoria Park and at least part of downtown. Avoiding Budweiser Gardens would also be a preference, I mean it's nice that we have a decent stadium and all but the name is just too embarrassing. Route suggestions are greatly appreciated. Will provide building/update photos in return.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 1:33 PM

Love this question... I think about this exact thing a lot! I would...

1. Park at the market, and walk the market.
2. Walk King St. heading west from the market, past Budweiser Gardens (sorry!)
3. Walk north on Ridout, pointing out the Thames, fountain, museum, etc.
4. Walk east on Fullarton (lousy parking lot to start, but impressive stuff later)
5. Walk north on Richmond
6. Enjoy a coffee at Central Ave. corner, and then head east on Central
7. Walk south on Wellington, admiring Victoria Park and taking her to the observation deck at City Hall
8. Walk east on Queens
9. Walk south on Waterloo
10. Walk west on Dundas back to the market (you could take King back alternatively)

Wortley Village is excellent for walking, but I don't think you could incorporate it into a downtown walk.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 2:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

If fair, UWO campus deserves a walk. Wortley village for sure. I generally do a rough rectangular walk with first-time visitors: Park at Covent Garden, coffee/food. Then King to the Forks, Forks through to Harris Park, and beyond (3/4 way to Oxfart), then cutting down one of the side streets to reach Richmond, Richmond Row to Victoria Park, through park, around back to St. Patricks, then down Richmond again to King and on to Massey's for great Indian food.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 10:51 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Alright, thanks for the tips everyone. Molson, unfortunately we didn't get to drop by Massey's, but we did go to Manna. Close enough?

Photos of the day posted to the London photography thread.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation