HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 9:59 PM
ARTchitecture

Derail - Calgary vs. RoC (Orchestration & Trolling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Nobody post that in the Canada section!
It's sad that we have to say that. There are so many fucking jerks there... I don't know what their issue is with Calgary or Alberta. I just need to learn to stay in the AB-BC section, way nicer people, less jerks trying to put people down, and way more interesting architecture

Rant over.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
It's sad that we have to say that. There are so many fucking jerks there... I don't know what their issue is with Calgary or Alberta. I just need to learn to stay in the AB-BC section, way nicer people, less jerks trying to put people down, and way more interesting architecture

Rant over.
It's a long ongoing cycle, and I'm not sure where it all started, but I believe it comes from Calgary and Alberta's booming economy for the last decade or so. My guess is that there has been some envy, followed by some snide remarks about Calgary, which in turn helps generate defensive or boastful remarks from the Calgary side and the cycle keeps going. Maybe it was started by Calgarians boasting about all the growth here who knows? I'm not sure. One thing I am sure about is that it's not really a dislike of Calgary, just the politics of this forum. If, say Winnipeg had been Calgary over the last 10 or 20 years they'd likely be in the same position.

It's true, there's no shortage of douchebags in the Canada section, and I think all of us here know who they are. They can't wait to get their anti-Calgary shots in, but there are also some of us who like to boast about Calgary. I know I do sometimes - mostly cause I like to get their ire up, kind of rub their noses in Calgary's good news.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsus View Post
It's a long ongoing cycle, and I'm not sure where it all started, but I believe it comes from Calgary and Alberta's booming economy for the last decade or so. My guess is that there has been some envy, followed by some snide remarks about Calgary, which in turn helps generate defensive or boastful remarks from the Calgary side and the cycle keeps going. Maybe it was started by Calgarians boasting about all the growth here who knows? I'm not sure. One thing I am sure about is that it's not really a dislike of Calgary, just the politics of this forum. If, say Winnipeg had been Calgary over the last 10 or 20 years they'd likely be in the same position.

It's true, there's no shortage of douchebags in the Canada section, and I think all of us here know who they are. They can't wait to get their anti-Calgary shots in, but there are also some of us who like to boast about Calgary. I know I do sometimes - mostly cause I like to get their ire up, kind of rub their noses in Calgary's good news.
One thing to realize is that many Canadian cities just aren't doing as well as Calgary, and people are legitimately struggling with stagnant wages, rising costs of living and higher unemployment in their communities.

I could see how sometimes people might see how people from Calgary boasting as similar to the one guy who got a big cash bonus at work boasting about it to his colleagues.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 10:45 PM

I suspect that most of the people who act like asshats on the Canada forum are probably okay in real life, no doubt some are just plain jerks, but I bet most are okay. The Canada section has gotten so toxic over the last few years that it has poisoned everyone beyond repair. They should just get rid of it altogether.

Quote:

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 11:16 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:

See, I don't really buy that though. EVERYONE on this forum that's in a major city boasts about their city. Montreal, Toronto, Quebec City, etc... everyone does it. "We have more history," "we have more money," "we have a higher immigrant population," etc. Every single person does it. Calgary gets consistently hated on though. As soon as anyone (usually me) posts something good about Calgary, Lio, MartinMTL, Nouvellecosse, or any of the other haters jump right in and spew their vitriol... without fail. Every single time. No other city has this done to them when talking about something good about, or how much they love, their city. I guess it is because we are doing so well, and because we're so up-and-coming with no end in sight... but still, it's bullshit. Almost everyone on this forum is an adult, they certainly don't act like it though.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 11:26 PM
Fake News

I think with Quebec in particular Calgary is viewed as the antithesis of all that is Montreal and old Canada. We're the up and coming, they are the past. They have stagnated, we are growing. But I swear the feud between the two cities in particular is rooted more deeply in equalization payments and social programs. The back and forth over those is never ending.

In general though it's like the new kid on the block being bullied by the popular kid who's afraid of losing their place.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 11:29 PM
ARTchitecture

You've noticed that the haters are disproportionately from Quebec too?! I thought I was the only one.

Your analogy is 100% spot-on. Except, I wouldn't say their cities are stagnating, I'd say the province in general is, though.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
You've noticed that the haters are disproportionately from Quebec too?! I thought I was the only one.

Your analogy is 100% spot-on. Except, I wouldn't say their cities are stagnating, I'd say the province in general is, though.
I notice it's mostly Montreal guys who have a big hate on for Calgary, and I think it's mostly because we are doing so well and they can't accept that the culture-less little hick town on the prairie is becoming a major cosmopolitan city that actually rivals theirs. Plus we have a way better skyline

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 11:35 PM
Fake News

Quote:

Well i grew up with my cousins from Montreal always laughing at how they actually saw tumbleweed blow by in DT Calgary on a Friday night. Not to mention the shock they felt seeing that our skyscrapers were actually very tall. Or that there were actually french speaking people here. Or that we weren't a stinking hick town in Mordor for that matter.

In general I think Quebec also resents us because we are in a way like the Western Quebec. The reason I say this is that I can't think of another province that has had a separatist party besides us and quebec. We draw attention away from them which they can't stand, only we don't get money for it.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 11:38 PM
ARTchitecture

In fact, we give them money to fund their constant and perpetual bitching and moaning.

Quote:
I notice it's mostly Montreal guys who have a big hate on for Calgary, and I think it's mostly because we are doing so well and they can't accept that the culture-less little hick town on the prairie is becoming a major cosmopolitan city that actually rivals theirs. Plus we have a way better skyline
I wouldn't say we "rival" Montreal other than in the skyline department, as ours blows theirs out of the water in just about every aspect, including growth.

But yeah I shouldn't have said Quebec forumers, the Quebec City guys are actually really nice. It basically is the MTL guys always, but not all of them do it.

I especially loved the time where I mentioned that Calgary is projected to hit 2 million by the 2030s, and some idiot chimes in saying "Alberta has a better chance of depopulating down to 2 million than Calgary does of growing to that size." LMFAO! What a fool.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 11:39 PM
Fake News

Quote:
But come on! They're about to become the best skyline in North America again with their new handful of Beltline size condos! It's funny how so many people from there still think PVM is still the tallest in the country. I've even had to argue about this with my cousin once.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 11:41 PM
Fake News

Quote:
I wouldn't say we "rival" Montreal other than in the skyline department, as ours blows theirs out of the water in just about every aspect, including growth.

But yeah I shouldn't have said Quebec forumers, the Quebec City guys are actually really nice. It basically is the MTL guys always, but not all of them do it.

I especially loved the time where I mentioned that Calgary is projected to hit 2 million by the 2030s, and some idiot chimes in saying "Alberta has a better chance of depopulating down to 2 million than Calgary does of growing to that size." LMFAO! What a fool.
Well literally everyone that lives here is a temporary rig worker from Eastern Canada don't you know?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
In fact, we give them money to fund their constant and perpetual bitching and moaning.

I mean we are becoming a city that can rival theirs, we aren't there yet and have another 10-15 years of the type of development we are seeing now.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
But come on! They're about to become the best skyline in North America again with their new handful of Beltline size condos! It's funny how so many people from there still think PVM is still the tallest in the country. I've even had to argue about this with my cousin once.
I don't get the hype of PVM, sure it's a nice building, but it wouldn't even crack my top 20 in the country (though the other 2 tallest in MTL definitely could).

I would kill to have even a sliver of the history Montreal has though, the old city is one of the coolest places on the continent!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 11:54 PM

Montreal has always been doing it's own thing. I don't think it makes sense to "compare" Calgary to them in any meaningful way. We have our own history and our own future. Montreal has theirs. At the end of the day they are two great Canadian cities which have bright futures ( and a few cranky citizens )

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Montreal has always been doing it's own thing. I don't think it makes sense to "compare" Calgary to them in any meaningful way. We have our own history and our own future. Montreal has theirs. At the end of the day they are two great Canadian cities which have bright futures ( and a few cranky citizens )
I think we can compare ourselves to them as their street life and culture are something we should absolutely be striving to match.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
I think we can compare ourselves to them as their street life and culture are something we should absolutely be striving to match.
I'd agree with that but again I hope we wouldn't copy them outright, and rather organically evolve as a city to have our own unique cultural impact. I think we are on the right track but its not something that's easy to measure and compare via a yard stick.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 12:22 AM
I am the law!

Boasting about almost any place is greeted with distain on the Canadian forum. About the only place immune from it is Montreal possibly because it's seen as a place that has already peaked.

Forumers may have a jaded opinion that, they still offer something of value. I can only think of one or two that you could call trolls and their stay was years too long.

Quote:
See, I don't really buy that though. EVERYONE on this forum that's in a major city boasts about their city. Montreal, Toronto, Quebec City, etc... everyone does it. "We have more history," "we have more money," "we have a higher immigrant population," etc. Every single person does it. Calgary gets consistently hated on though. As soon as anyone (usually me) posts something good about Calgary, Lio, MartinMTL, Nouvellecosse, or any of the other haters jump right in and spew their vitriol... without fail. Every single time. No other city has this done to them when talking about something good about, or how much they love, their city. I guess it is because we are doing so well, and because we're so up-and-coming with no end in sight... but still, it's bullshit. Almost everyone on this forum is an adult, they certainly don't act like it though.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Wow the comment section of that article is ridiculous. Looks like the anti Calgary sentiment is everywhere these days. Keep on hating haters, we'll be doing our thing.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 1:59 AM
ARTchitecture

You guys have no idea how badly I'm itching to post these new travel destination rankings in the Canada section. *grinds teeth*

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy