HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Also, Monier broke ground today.

https://twitter.com/rionuevotucson1/...27363343749120

EDIT: The copy on the sign in the image through the link is horrific.
Sounds like the fencing is up at the Trinity site, too! Lots of action starting along the streetcar line!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 1:55 AM

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 9:45 PM

Construction fencing is going up at the RendezVous Urban Flats parcel at Broadway and Stone

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 3:52 PM

City Council will be discussing the Ronstadt project in Executive Session next week. Potential actions include "discussion or consultation with the attorneys and staff for the City of Tucson in order to consider its position and instruct its attorneys regarding the City of Tucson’s position regarding contracts that are the subject of negotiations . . . and for discussion or consultation to consider its position and instruct its representatives regarding negotiations for the purchase or lease of real property." To me, this indicates there's some movement going on. Could be good or bad, I suppose.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 4:00 PM

Still not a fan of the overall design, but the finishes are an improvement over the previous iteration, IMO.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
Construction fencing is going up at the RendezVous Urban Flats parcel at Broadway and Stone
Sure enough, building permit issued last week.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 10:47 PM

Could Tucson be the location of the new Steel Dynamics mill set to be built somewhere in the Southwest? To the layman Tucson seems like a good fit. Hope Tucson puts together a good incentive package for this mill.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...lar-steel-mill

The steel producer – one of the country’s largest – announced plans on Monday to build a flat-roll steel mill in the U.S. with annual production capacity of 450,000 tons. The investment will total as much as $1.8 billion and could create 600 “well-paying” jobs.

While no exact location has been decided for the new facility, Steel Dynamics said it expects it will be located in the Southwest to be able to serve markets both in the U.S. and Mexico. It will base its geographical decision on local infrastructure and incentives.

Last edited by T'Town; Nov 29, 2018 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 2:59 AM

Quote:
City Council will be discussing the Ronstadt project in Executive Session next week. Potential actions include "discussion or consultation with the attorneys and staff for the City of Tucson in order to consider its position and instruct its attorneys regarding the City of Tucson’s position regarding contracts that are the subject of negotiations . . . and for discussion or consultation to consider its position and instruct its representatives regarding negotiations for the purchase or lease of real property." To me, this indicates there's some movement going on. Could be good or bad, I suppose.
Definitely vague. Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 3:19 AM

Does anyone know why they're clearing land on the southwest corner of I-10 and 29th Street?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Does anyone know why they're clearing land on the southwest corner of I-10 and 29th Street?
It's a 49,500 sf one-floor distribution warehouse. Current project name is "Project Cactus" so not clear what company is behind it. TI and Amazon have both used similar code names recently. The developer is Scannell Properties. A good number of their build-to-suit projects are for FedEx Ground but their clientele is pretty diverse.

The geotechnical report estimates 500 trucks on site per day and there are hundreds of parking spaces, so it would seem to be a pretty labor-intensive and high-volume operation.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 9:35 PM

Quote:
It's a 49,500 sf one-floor distribution warehouse. Current project name is "Project Cactus" so not clear what company is behind it.
I have heard that Amazon is looking for a second, smaller warehouse for local distribution. Bypassing the use of UPS and handling next day or same day delivery. In fact I heard the warehouse size they are looking for is 30k-40k sqft. I wonder if this is a second amazon location?

You have probably already seen their trucks around

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 9:54 PM

Quote:
I have heard that Amazon is looking for a second, smaller warehouse for local distribution. Bypassing the use of UPS and handling next day or same day delivery. In fact I heard the warehouse size they are looking for is 30k-40k sqft. I wonder if this is a second amazon location?

This is exactly what I was thinking this could be based on my mental elimination of other possible carriers. For example, OnTrac is in a bigger warehouse with more truck bays near the airport. DHL is in that same building and, although their space is smaller, they just moved in this year. UPS's facility on Park and Silverlake is bigger, I'm pretty sure, as is FedEx's facility near the airport.

Another possible tell is the name of the property owner - SPA Properties Tucson. As I mentioned, the developer is Scannell Properties, so what's the "A" for in the acronym?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:

Actually, I did see one of those vans today. Thanks everyone for the info.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 11:08 PM
City Rider

[IMG]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RK_...3mD7BiENoJV-4O[IMG]

Initial work on Rendezvous Flats

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenley333 View Post
[IMG]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RK_...3mD7BiENoJV-4O[IMG]

Initial work on Rendezvous Flats
My understanding is that they are going to preserve those Ben's Bells murals and incorporate them into the property. I hope they do

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 9:53 PM

I have heard that the construction at 1-10 and 29th is indeed an Amazon "rapid Distribution Warehouse". Additionally, this is not the only one planned for the area. They are looking for additional locations but no information yet on where

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 3:54 PM

I was watching PBS last night - The Desert Speaks - and after the episode was over they had a short news break which mentioned Rio Nuevo had approved funding for a hotel at Broadway and Park. Anyone know anything about this? I haven't been able to find anything about it online.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
I was watching PBS last night - The Desert Speaks - and after the episode was over they had a short news break which mentioned Rio Nuevo had approved funding for a hotel at Broadway and Park. Anyone know anything about this? I haven't been able to find anything about it online.
That would be the Broadway Volvo property. I know a hotel was mentioned as potentially being part of the project but there were no specific details at the November RN meeting. This is the problem with no local news media covering their meetings - we have no idea what was discussed this month beyond the agenda.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 12:41 AM

Tucson Improvement and Beautification Org

No articles on TIBO in over a month and then today their domain name expired.

What happened? What is another source of development news?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:
That would be the Broadway Volvo property. I know a hotel was mentioned as potentially being part of the project but there were no specific details at the November RN meeting. This is the problem with no local news media covering their meetings - we have no idea what was discussed this month beyond the agenda.
I figured that was the property they were talking about. Hopefully we'll get some news on this soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest