HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I haven't gone through the Speedway/Campbell project as much as I'd like (264 page PUD in four parts is a bit much) but what's actually programmed for the tower portion? Those floorplates look skinny for office. Surprised they didn't do Class A apartments or something in the project as well for its proximity to TMC.
It's all apartments above the pedestal, I'm pretty sure.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 2:12 AM
Skyriser

The PAD is inconsistent, it's like 80 units of "lodging" in one page, which I thought was rather small, and then I looked at the next part and they said it was residential which is still too big, then I considered this could be gross square feet.

Good project, I hope it gets built.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 8:15 PM

It is all residential above the podium. The same developer/design team is doing the Central Station project in Downtown Phoenix, so it sounds like their focus is on that project for the time being until that breaks ground later this year, then they will probably shift resources and ramp this project back up.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 8:40 PM
Skyriser

^ Really? I read that Medistar is doing Central Station, a local guy to Tucson is doing Speedway/Campbell.

If it is Medistar as noted from the Central Station page, they haven't even finished programming what they're doing up in Phoenix like a year after they were awarded the RFP so that does not bode well for Tucson.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 2:15 AM

It might be a joint venture since it was stalled, but I heard there is a decent potential they may be involved. If that is the case, I would doubt it moves anytime soon until we see Central Station underway.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 3:39 PM

Looks like the crane is being erected for 127 South 5th today. Workers have been clearing the vacant eyesore lot just to the east of that block so I figure it'll be used for staging.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Looks like the crane is being erected for 127 South 5th today. Workers have been clearing the vacant eyesore lot just to the east of that block so I figure it'll be used for staging.
Wow I thought this project would be delayed after it was announced that the smaller one next to Charro Steak would be delayed. I remember reading that he was going to build both simultaneously to achieve some savings.

Can someone take a pic once the crane is up?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
It might be a joint venture since it was stalled, but I heard there is a decent potential they may be involved. If that is the case, I would doubt it moves anytime soon until we see Central Station underway.
Do you know if the project got FTA approval? Tucson has been waiting forever to get approved for our bus station project.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post

Can someone take a pic once the crane is up?
Not a great shot, but two cranes in one! I assume the crane in the background is the new one for the apartments on Fifth.

Taken from the EBCO Hampton/Home2 construction cam.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 4:47 PM

FTA awarded Tucson $950k to study for a fully dedicated right of way fixed rapid bus system running 14.5 miles from/to TIA and Tucson Mall. In our minds, could be a possibility of extending Sunlink streetcar to these areas in the future as well. The study will commence in 2021.

[IMG][/IMG]

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/tdot/news/b...or-study-grant

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 11:44 PM

Sorry to hear about the fires in the Catalinas. I hope that they get them under control soon.

Skypod Images captured an amazing shot of downtown with the fires in the background.

In the foreground you can see the Flinn, Marist, RendezVous, One West and One East. Some decent infill and density.

And is that Opus on 4th or the Union rising up behind the old Chase/VNB Building?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 4:19 AM

Hi everyone.
So I mostly post and check out the Phoenix thread, but I'm a fellow Arizona alum (BEAR DOWN)! I can't wait to for my next trip to Tucson.
Quick question, does anyone know if downtown Tucson has a height restriction from the FAA like Phoenix?
Thank you.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
Sorry to hear about the fires in the Catalinas. I hope that they get them under control soon.

Skypod Images captured an amazing shot of downtown with the fires in the background.

In the foreground you can see the Flinn, Marist, RendezVous, One West and One East. Some decent infill and density.

And is that Opus on 4th or the Union rising up behind the old Chase/VNB Building?
The red crane is for Union on 6th. Lens distortion pulls it closer to downtown.

I checked on permit activity for the Opus project the other day and there hasn't been anything within the past few months.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFireBirds View Post
Hi everyone.
So I mostly post and check out the Phoenix thread, but I'm a fellow Arizona alum (BEAR DOWN)! I can't wait to for my next trip to Tucson.
Quick question, does anyone know if downtown Tucson has a height restriction from the FAA like Phoenix?
Thank you.
Hi, I couldn't find any exact answers on the web but I guess it depends if Downtown Tucson is considered close proximity to TIA to affect flight paths. I don't think we had that issue yet since no high rise proposals have been over 499 feet which looks like what FAA thinks obstructs flight paths.

Here are a couple of things I read:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...mits/13271583/

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=84336

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
Hi, I couldn't find any exact answers on the web but I guess it depends if Downtown Tucson is considered close proximity to TIA to affect flight paths. I don't think we had that issue yet since no high rise proposals have been over 499 feet which looks like what FAA thinks obstructs flight paths.

Here are a couple of things I read:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...mits/13271583/

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=84336
@andrewsaturn,

I appreciate the reply and info. Tucson is def. overdue for a new skyscraper. It would be great to see along with the continued density. Phoenix is in the works to get its first >500ft skyscraper for the tallest new building.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFireBirds View Post
@andrewsaturn,

I appreciate the reply and info. Tucson is def. overdue for a new skyscraper. It would be great to see along with the continued density. Phoenix is in the works to get its first >500ft skyscraper for the tallest new building.
Wow that's great. I agree, Tucson needs a few more. Definitely jealous of the high rise developments in Phoenix.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 2:44 AM

Main Gate fire

Most of you have probably heard that a fire broke out today on the 11th floor of the Main Gate project that will house The Graduate Hotel and OLIV apartments. This fire, though fairly small and put out quickly, is the second fire at the project this year, as the first one occurred in January. Interestingly, the project contractor, Katerra, is the same one that was building The Mark, a large student housing project that burned down in June, 2018, and was subsequently rebuilt.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 8:09 PM

It's really exciting to see the developments both in Tucson and Phoenix. I feel like if downtown Tucson could get close to 10 breweries (all local) in close density sprinkled in with the latest development boom, would be amazing. I feel like the city would embrace this boom, along with the seamless connection to 4th Ave and University. I come back every fall/ HC for Arizona football (min of 4 games) and I'm amazed every visit.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 11:26 PM

Primavera is building a new Emergency Services Building at 17th St, 6th Ave, and Stone Ave

Here's an image from the application

Last edited by beardown; Jun 24, 2020 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Tried to fix image

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 12:13 AM

The Hotel Congress has submitted a development package for a permanent outdoor stage

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest