HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 7:11 PM
Skyriser

The developers must be out of their mind if they think that building is a candidate for the kind of upgrades they're thinking about. It's already appointed for senior living with those specific amenities (barbershop, dining) and there's probably more demand for senior living than trying to compete in market rate.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 8:07 PM

Mesa's master tourism plan

Plan envisions Mesa as a $1B tourist destination

https://www.themesatribune.com/news/...ae9911f03.html

Quote:
Visit Mesa’s board of directors have adopted the organization’s first 10-year master plan for tourism to transform the city into a “major visitor destination” with direct spending by tourists exceeding $1 billion a year.

The plan, which aims to increase tourist spending from last year’s $710 million total, describes challenges and opportunities for meeting these goals with a mix of guiding principles and more specific objectives – such as establishing Mesa as a leading sports tourism and outdoor recreation capital.

Mesa would benefit from better transportation between the “visitor industry clusters,” or hubs of activity, spread across Mesa’s 133 square miles, according to the plan.
Quote:
Alison Brooks, Visit Mesa’s vice president of destination experience, said the plan’s “big vision” will be used to spin off the agency’s shorter-term strategic and business plans.

Those smaller plans will contain more of the “nuts and bolts” needed to grow visits and improve visitor experience, she said.

They will include more quantifiable goals, such as hosting 1.3 million overnight visitors and adding five new non-stop destinations to Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport by 2026 – two targets from the current three-year strategic plan.
Quote:
They include as seeing a large, standalone resort built in Mesa and developing downtown into a creative and cultural innovation district.

But some concepts contained in the 10-year plan came to the attention of leadership primarily through the community engagement process.

One idea was extending light rail to the Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.

Kavanaugh said he is an advocate for public transit, but extending the rail to the airport “was not on my bucket list,” explaining that “politically, (light rail) seems to be a really heavy lift.”

“I think policymakers should be aware that that (idea) came from the public,” he said.

In another unexpected finding, community members said recreation access to the Salt River and Tonto National Forest is lacking.

“The mountains, desert and Salt River ecosystem (are) staggeringly beautiful but there are limited options for visitors and locals to experience the outdoor majesty,” the plan states. “People want to spend money in Mesa’s great outdoors but they’re challenged about how to spend it.”

Kavanaugh said comments about improving access to the water came through clearly during outreach, and he thinks it’s important to work on this area because the river is a big draw for Mesa.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Noticed over the weekend that the second tallest building in Mesa (a dubious honor I know) is getting some investment and renovation. 'Courtyard Towers,' an eyesore senior living tower for as long as I can remember, has signage up advertising that they are converting to market-rate apartments. I wasn't able to grab a picture, but the renderings on the signage indicate it'll likely just be a paint job, at least on the exterior. But still, with the cluster of bars and restaurants building up in the area, I think it will rent well.

The building:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4157...8192?entry=ttu
Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The developers must be out of their mind if they think that building is a candidate for the kind of upgrades they're thinking about. It's already appointed for senior living with those specific amenities (barbershop, dining) and there's probably more demand for senior living than trying to compete in market rate.
Brief coverage of the conversion plan:

https://www.connectcre.com/stories/e...ent-candidate/

Quote:
Constructed in 1984 on 1.3 acres in Mesa, the 13-story Courtland Towers was purpose-built as a 169-unit multifamily community before being converted to seniors housing in the early 2000s and vacated in 2022.

The seller was Okland Capital. The buyer, Soltrust Robson, was financed by Blueprint Capital Income REIT. An Institutional Property Advisors team led by Cliff David represented the seller and procured the buyer. David added, “Delivered vacant at closing, the property is primed for transformation into Downtown Mesa’s only high-rise multifamily community.” Current zoning permits 176 units.

Easily accessible from Arizona State Route 87/Country Club Drive and Main Street, the property is within an Opportunity Zone and steps from the Valley Metro light rail line. Arizona State University’s Mesa City Center campus, Arizona Museum of Natural History, the i.d.e.a Museum, the Nile Theater, and the Mesa Arts Center are all nearby and walkable.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 1:40 AM

Google Earth Update

Looks like Google Earth just updated their 3D map in Downtown Mesa. Looks to be a very recent, maybe in December last year? Hopefully the rest of the Valley gets updated soon.

https://earth.google.com/web/@33.415...r/data=OgMKATA

Edit: Nevermind, it says the images were from September.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpud0 View Post
Looks like Google Earth just updated their 3D map in Downtown Mesa. Looks to be a very recent, maybe in December last year? Hopefully the rest of the Valley gets updated soon.

https://earth.google.com/web/@33.415...r/data=OgMKATA

Edit: Nevermind, it says the images were from September.
That would be pretty quick we usually only get an update every couple of years. But holy cow Mesa has been on a tear the last couple of years. I wouldnt be surprised if they get a proposal with real height soon.

EDit: Its not just Mesa, looks like North Phoenix has also had a recent 3d Update.

Last edited by Obadno; Jan 25, 2024 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 9:44 PM

Idk if anyone has noticed but Sycamore Station looks like it was stalled...no progress seen now for a few weeks other than the first floor columns that were poured. The development around the corner on Dobson is progressing but it's wood framed.

The second site for Chicanos on Main has been cleared...looks like they took down that "historical" motel. Does anyone have any renderings of this one? The second site on Main and Country Club is moving pretty quickly.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Idk if anyone has noticed but Sycamore Station looks like it was stalled...no progress seen now for a few weeks other than the first floor columns that were poured. The development around the corner on Dobson is progressing but it's wood framed.

The second site for Chicanos on Main has been cleared...looks like they took down that "historical" motel. Does anyone have any renderings of this one? The second site on Main and Country Club is moving pretty quickly.
Not sure what the hold up is at Sycamore, but I noticed that they seemed to have stalled as well. Also not sure about the other Chicanos project you mentioned.

I did however in looking at the development map notice a project of which I was not aware on the SEC of Main/Country Club. It's proposed to abandon the Morris St. ROW:

Quote:
The proposed development includes two separate mixed-use apartment buildings with an open pedestrian plaza between them. The buildings and pedestrian plaza area will be constructed within the current Morris street right-of-way. The abandonment of the Morris ROW is part of a development agreement between the City of Mesa and the property developers. Building 1 is located at the west of the property between Country Club and Morris and fronts on Main Street. It will have one level of concrete podium construction housing retail, tenant amenity space and structured parking. Building 1 will also have 5 levels of residential apartment units above the ground level podium with 157 units. Building 2 is located at the east of the property between Morris and the neighboring auto shop and fronts on Main Street. It will have three levels of concrete podium construction housing retail, tenant amenity space and structured parking. Building 2 will also have 5 levels of residential apartment units above the podium with 266 units. The total development will include approximately 423 apartment units, 262 parking stalls and 6,900 sf of retail. The upper levels of building 2 include proposed ROW encroachments on two sides of the building fronting Morris and Mahoney Ave.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 11:27 PM
Skyriser

What hotel was cleared? I thought the CPLC on Main was always a vacant lot.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 3:48 PM

It was the Kiva Lodge and Motel. Had a cool sign which I hope is getting preserved off-site somewhere. Mesa (assuming the SHPO) tried to say last minute that the hotel was historic but I guess Chicanos managed to get a demolition permit. I last heard the site was suppose to be 3 story condos...they started a row of townhomes in the back (about 10 units 3 stories) but I guess the plans changed when they were able to pick up a few parcels fronting Main St.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 3:51 PM

Also I noticed that the Zeni Homes/ micro unit development on Main St. downtown has had it's construction fencing removed even after promising an eminent start this past summer lol

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 4:54 PM

Quote:
It was the Kiva Lodge and Motel. Had a cool sign which I hope is getting preserved off-site somewhere. Mesa (assuming the SHPO) tried to say last minute that the hotel was historic but I guess Chicanos managed to get a demolition permit. I last heard the site was suppose to be 3 story condos...they started a row of townhomes in the back (about 10 units 3 stories) but I guess the plans changed when they were able to pick up a few parcels fronting Main St.
Ah, got it. Yeah, that's a decent lot now. Here are some news articles on the site that I missed. One of them has a rendering:

https://www.themesatribune.com/news/...0f756bac9.html

https://www.themesatribune.com/news/...ccb644186.html

Quote:
Also I noticed that the Zeni Homes/ micro unit development on Main St. downtown has had it's construction fencing removed even after promising an eminent start this past summer lol
I saw that too. I'm nervous about this one. I can live with demoing the old retail building if they are actually going to build. But taking down the fence seems like a bad sign.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 6:34 PM

A few photos of projects along Main in Mesa. Excuse the glare, taken from the train:

The Grid:

City Council chambers:

Chicanos/Bailey's:

Sycamore Station (there were a few workers on site, but still no meaningful vertical progress in some time):

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 3:26 PM

Thanks for the updates! Good to see Sycamore Station may be moving forward again!

Also didn't know if you saw this but the last phase fronting Main Street for Main Street Station has been fenced off. The developer has submitted the proposal back to the City to finish building the townhouses but to remove the requirements for ground floor live/ work spaces but instead it will be determined by the individual buyer if those are to be included or not per the floorplan chosen. No updated renderings yet and not sure if it will be a mirror image of the first phase or not.

Edit: These were older renderings for the units fronting Main Street....kinda ugly lol
https://www.trulia.com/home/1350-142...201-2061272680

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the updates! Good to see Sycamore Station may be moving forward again!

Also didn't know if you saw this but the last phase fronting Main Street for Main Street Station has been fenced off. The developer has submitted the proposal back to the City to finish building the townhouses but to remove the requirements for ground floor live/ work spaces but instead it will be determined by the individual buyer if those are to be included or not per the floorplan chosen. No updated renderings yet and not sure if it will be a mirror image of the first phase or not.

Edit: These were older renderings for the units fronting Main Street....kinda ugly lol
https://www.trulia.com/home/1350-142...201-2061272680
Yeah, Main Street Station has always kind of been a rat project. But for a lot that has literally never had vertical construction, can't complain too much.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
A few photos of projects along Main in Mesa.
Did they ever start or finish that project to rehabilitate the facades along Main Street and get rid of those stupid arcades?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 10:24 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Did they ever start or finish that project to rehabilitate the facades along Main Street and get rid of those stupid arcades?
It seems to be happening slowly, building by building. That's okay by me since I value the shade they provide.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest