HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 4:02 AM

I think he's more mad at the signage proposed, and to a certain degree, I do agree with him.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 5:09 AM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
They're not gems or anything but I wouldn't go so far as to call them crap either . Just appreciate them for what they bring to the skyline .
Honestly, this looks like a better Bank of America building, the one from NY. I love the design. It'll look great, looking at the pictures of the building in the skyline really looks amazing.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 9:40 PM
New Yorker for life

http://planning.lacity.org/eir/Wilsh...GrandProj.html

Quote:
Project Description

The Wilshire Grand Redevelopment Project includes development on a 3.2-acre site located in the Central City (Downtown) area of the City of Los Angeles. The Project includes demolition of the existing Wilshire Grand Hotel and Centre, and the development of a maximum of 560 hotel rooms and/or condo-hotel units, 100 residential units, 1,500,000 square feet of office, 275,000 square feet of amenity areas including, but not limited to, project-serving retail and restaurant uses, conference and meeting rooms, ballrooms, spa, fitness center, and ancillary other hotel, residential, and office areas.

The Project includes a landscaped pedestrian plaza at the corner of Figueroa Street and 7th Street, as well as a rooftop helistop. Approximately 1,900 parking spaces will be provided in eight levels of subterranean parking.

The Project includes one approximately 65-story structure, no more than 1,250 feet in height, one approximately 45-story structure, no more than 750 feet in height, and an approximately six-story podium structure, no more than 168 feet in height.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 10:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Nice to have another supertall proposal...

Another look at the renderings...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 5:33 PM
Heavy User

Looks great to me! If it does become the tallest in LA I'd imagine that it would help to factor in all the free publicity it would get by being the new building that's always getting destroyed by aliens/terrorists/nature in movies. That has to be worth something right?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 5:51 PM

Wow, great post, thanks!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 6:00 PM
Ascension

I never would've guessed that LA could possibly ever see another supertall. At least not in this economy. Pretty exciting stuff.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 7:40 PM
Ω

A little awkwardly proportioned but overall very nice. Especially the base.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 10:40 PM

will it really have L A written on the side of the buildings???

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 10:56 PM

cool tower almost like blade runner with the signage. though the height is a little awkward in the renders surpassing the library tower which should remain the tallest.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 7:45 AM
Registered Loser

I can has construction?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 11:05 PM

LOS ANGELES - Wilshire-Grand Tower 1,250ft (Korean Air Towers)

Korean Air To Build Billion Dollar Redevelopment In Los Angeles

Korean Air has retained Thomas Properties Group, Inc. to develop a one billion dollar mixed-use redevelopment plan for the nearly three-acre Wilshire Grand Hotel and office site on the southwest corner of Wilshire and Figueroa in the heart of the city’s financial district. The proposal envisions a nearly two million-square-foot signature development adding new Class A offices, condominiums and hotel space to the city’s urban core.
The proposal is to replace the existing complex with two high-rise towers, totaling approximately 1,750,000 square feet: a 40-story tower featuring a luxury hotel of up to 700 rooms topped by several floors of condominiums, and a 1,150,000-square-foot, 60-story office tower, connected with plazas and open space, designed to meet U.S. Green Building Council LEED certification standards.

‘This exciting and bold new project is a major step forward in our efforts to add green, multi-use developments to the center of our city,’ Mayor Villaraigosa said. ‘Standing just a few blocks from Staples Center and L.A. Live, the Wilshire Grand redevelopment effort will help revitalize downtown, and we look forward to seeing this proposal proceed through the public review process and produce a new landmark that benefits Los Angeles, the community, and the local economy.’

‘Downtown is continuing to evolve and it is rewarding to see that our collective vision for the area is inspiring private owners to re-imagine properties and shape them in a way that further enhances our community,’ said councilmember Jan Perry.

‘Thomas Properties Group has extensive experience with complex projects ranging from securing approvals through designing, developing and leasing. It is a highly regarded firm that has a long history in Los Angeles,’ said Y. H. Cho, Korean Air’s Chairman and CEO. ‘They will immediately begin working with the community and the city to begin the approval process.’

Korean Air acquired the current Wilshire Grand Hotel in 1989 under the name of Hilton Hotel & Towers. The airline also owns three hotels in Korea and another in Hawaii.

‘It is rare to have the opportunity to shape a new project on a full city block in the heart of a major metropolitan city center such as Los Angeles. With 2.7 acres, we can create a distinctive destination that is interconnected with the existing business, shopping and entertainment venues. As a property and business owner in downtown Los Angeles, we recognize the need for every development to enhance the walkability of our city and create a more vibrant street-level experience,’ said James A. Thomas, Chairman and CEO, Thomas Properties Group. ‘Now is a good time to be working through the approvals of a new development. Together with Korean Air, we are looking to the future of this property and how it can better serve the community of Los Angeles.’

Thomas Properties Group purchased the nearby 2.7 million-square foot City National Plaza in 2003 and has completed a thorough restoration and repositioning of the iconic property. The firm is a leader in the management and development of sustainable and high-performance buildings.

A.C. Martin Partners are the architects designing the plans and buildings. Thomas Properties and A.C. Martin previously worked together on several projects including the CalEPA headquarters building in Sacramento that is the first LEED Platinum-certified high-rise in the United States.

Los Angeles has been the center of Korean Air’s operations in North and South America since its first transpacific flight in 1972. The airline now is the largest transpacific carrier out of LAX and operates 24 weekly flights between Los Angeles and Asia.

‘Korean Air has a long and deep-rooted commitment to Los Angeles,’ Cho said. ‘The Korean community here is the largest in the world outside of Seoul, and Korean Air is the largest transpacific carrier out of LAX. We have significant real estate holdings here and have a vested interest in Los Angeles’ success.’

Last edited by Totojuice; Oct 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Added height to title

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 11:09 PM

New tallest in LA at 1,250ft

From city-data.com:

"....final planned height figures for the so-called "Wilshire-Grand Project" (Korean Air Towers) to be built in downtown L.A. The central office building will reach 65 floors and 1250 ft. That will make it the tallest building in Los Angeles.

The project includes a separate, 45 st hotel, and a commerical center. Construction is set to begin in 2011, with completion set for 2020.

The developers are currently seeking waivers from the City Planning Dept to permit electronic signage on the towers' glass and aluminum facades, ala Tokyo (or Bladerunner!)"

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 11:09 PM

This goes in the "Highrise & Supertall Proposals" section. But there's already a thread on it:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=167291

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 11:13 PM

You're right - groundbreaking hasn't happened yet. Will move discussion to "Highrise & Supertall Proposals" section. Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 1:22 AM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totojuice View Post
From city-data.com:

"....final planned height figures for the so-called "Wilshire-Grand Project" (Korean Air Towers) to be built in downtown L.A. The central office building will reach 65 floors and 1250 ft. That will make it the tallest building in Los Angeles.

The project includes a separate, 45 st hotel, and a commerical center. Construction is set to begin in 2011, with completion set for 2020.

The developers are currently seeking waivers from the City Planning Dept to permit electronic signage on the towers' glass and aluminum facades, ala Tokyo (or Bladerunner!)"
NO. WAY. This is epic news. Finally the West gets some supertall awesome sauce. On top of that, it will have freakin electronic signage on the tower itself (Or that's how I read it atleast), soooo awesome. I will be checking this thread as much as I do for the WTC buildings!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 4:53 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ For the record, that article is from 2009. Jim Thomas of Thomas properties spoke recently at a downtown business event, and said that they plan to build this tower in "the next 3 years." So I don't think it's in any danger of starting construction soon.

Even if it did start soon, there's a very large hotel on the site at the moment that would have to be closed down and demolished, for which they don't even have the permits yet.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 5:27 AM

This project is a game changer like Jordan or Magic! No other way to put it. This development catapults LA leaps and bounds above the 2nd tier cities that embarrass LA on a consistent basis. Thank God for the Koreans and while we're at it, let's get some Middle East money here. Saudi, Emirates, all of that money, Chinese, we need it all. It's the international money that's going to drive LA real estate up to new heights. That being said, I can't wait for all that money to come over this way! And yes, what a way to kick off the 2010s for LA! Yeah!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 9:17 AM
Everywhere all at once

If Los Angeles gets a new supertall TALLEST TOWER, AND it has a spire instead of a flat top....I will literally, LITERALLY.... LOSE. MY. MIND.

This may not seem like the most big-deal exclamation, but if you could hear me say that in person, you'd understand how in-f**king-sane this would be to me.

....AAAAANNNDDDD, this plus all the transit improvements coming the way of L.A., if Villaraigosa's 30/10 plan is actually effective, this city will be changed forever by the year 2020.

Last edited by NYC2ATX; Oct 30, 2010 at 9:29 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
If Los Angeles gets a new supertall TALLEST TOWER, AND it has a spire instead of a flat top....I will literally, LITERALLY.... LOSE. MY. MIND.

This may not seem like the most big-deal exclamation, but if you could hear me say that in person, you'd understand how in-f**king-sane this would be to me.

....AAAAANNNDDDD, this plus all the transit improvements coming the way of L.A., if Villaraigosa's 30/10 plan is actually effective, this city will be changed forever by the year 2020.
I love your enthusiasm! You sound as excited as an Angeleno would be!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive