HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Those city gate owners really are terrible (love the development though), they are the reason the Skytrain slows to a crawl around the bend as the trains made too much noise. The also played a huge factor (not the only factor) in the Indy race being canceled, and to think those things were there before they moved in.

Reminds me of the anti-PNE people, the fair's been there for 90+years and you want to move it, maybe you shouldn't have moved into the area.
what????? that's the reason why the trains move at a turtle pace along that section? I had always thought it was because of some sort of track technical issue, that's just pathetic. Why did SkyTrain even listen to them? That's so retarded.

With all the condo tower developments along No.3 Road, I hope future condo owners won't be doing the same thing (especially along the single-tracked section).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 1:39 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
what????? that's the reason why the trains move at a turtle pace along that section? I had always thought it was because of some sort of track technical issue, that's just pathetic. Why did SkyTrain even listen to them? That's so retarded.

With all the condo tower developments along No.3 Road, I hope future condo owners won't be doing the same thing (especially along the single-tracked section).
I thought it was because the track was really tight so SkyTrains have to slow down because of it.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 1:40 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Yes that is the reason, the trains moved at a much higher speed before, but due to the sharp turn they made alot more noise, after numerous complaints they were asked to reduce the speed of the trains in that section and it's been like that for close to 10years now.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 1:41 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Those city gate owners really are terrible (love the development though), they are the reason the Skytrain slows to a crawl around the bend as the trains made too much noise. The also played a huge factor (not the only factor) in the Indy race being canceled, and to think those things were there before they moved in.

Reminds me of the anti-PNE people, the fair's been there for 90+years and you want to move it, maybe you shouldn't have moved into the area.

or thr Coal Harbour residents complainting about the Float Plane Airport.....

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 2:01 AM

i am gonna move next to the skytrain line and start complaining

whats next - i am gonna move next to a grocery store and complain that peoples shopping carts are too squeaky

don't people open their eyes when they are buying things?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 7:55 PM

I actually like how it slows down there. It gives riders an extended view of the downtown core and False Creek. For a few seconds' delay we give riders a postcard moment.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 1:30 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
I actually like how it slows down there. It gives riders an extended view of the downtown core and False Creek. For a few seconds' delay we give riders a postcard moment.
True, many tourists GO WILD when they see it. I remember in the summer there was a group of japanese and they were on the apartment side. Then when we turned from Main St. Station, they ran to the other side to see the city skyline, capturing videos, cheering, etc.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 6:26 PM

The renderings of Metrotown look absolutely brilliant. I can't wait - that underground bus loop is a nightmare, incredibly loud and full of diesel smoke. Not to mention the difficulty of getting in there on a bike. Maybe at the same time they can clean the crackheads out of the area and do something useful with the old Cineplex Odeon complex. It feels like a ghost town since it's so cut off from the rest of the mall.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digicult View Post
The renderings of Metrotown look absolutely brilliant. I can't wait - that underground bus loop is a nightmare, incredibly loud and full of diesel smoke. Not to mention the difficulty of getting in there on a bike. Maybe at the same time they can clean the crackheads out of the area and do something useful with the old Cineplex Odeon complex. It feels like a ghost town since it's so cut off from the rest of the mall.
it was posted somewhere once that the owners of that mall plan to renovate it and make it more upscale and try to bring in upscale retailers not already in metrotown serving the area residents better not having them have to go downtown to shop for labels

but they are proabbly waiting until the erst of whatever is going on with the place happens

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 4:40 PM
BANNED

Actually I ride that sharp bend near Main St. every day and the speed is now substantially reduced from what it was even a month ago. It's a snails pace now.

Question: in '86 when they built the current Expo Line tunnel under downtown between Stadium and Waterfront, was that originally a Railway tunnel? What year was that old tunnel built?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerguy3 View Post
Actually I ride that sharp bend near Main St. every day and the speed is now substantially reduced from what it was even a month ago. It's a snails pace now.

Question: in '86 when they built the current Expo Line tunnel under downtown between Stadium and Waterfront, was that originally a Railway tunnel? What year was that old tunnel built?
It was a CPR tunnel. I think there is a plaque or something at Burrard station with details.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 6:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlaw View Post
It was a CPR tunnel. I think there is a plaque or something at Burrard station with details.
Dunsmiur Tunnel, built in 1932

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 9:53 PM

Slow train to Quebec Street

Hey, I too have noticed that the eastbound trains are now proceeding at a snail's pace in along Quebec Street this past week. I wonder if someone at SkyTrain reads this board and realized that the e/b trains were going 'too fast'. The westbound slowdown started in 1996, there were some USENET threads on the issue that year... concensus at the time was that it was the noise that the trains make when going over the switches that is the reason for the slowdown... I wonder if anyone from translink would confirm this?

Didn't these people know what they were buying into when they purchased condos across from a rapid transit line? And the noise is nothing compared to say, the Chigago L, that thing is LOUD.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
And the noise is nothing compared to say, the Chigago L, that thing is LOUD.
and FUN! I love the sections that careen seemingly within an inch or two of buildings. It's a much more dramatic, rollercoaster effect than what we have on Skytrain.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 11:06 PM
BANNED

SkyTrain is back to regular speed around that bend near Main St. Yesterday and today it's running at same speed as before.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 6:37 PM

A new Waves coffee shop is being built on the ticket level of the Stadium-Chinatown SkyTrain station.

My photo, taken April 22nd, 2008.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 7:57 PM
Vancouver Moderator

^Oh wow they did much more than the last time I saw it, which was two weeks ago. I put the picture somewhere on the forums...

I still find it ironic that they are opening coffee shops all over the station - but one isn't supposed to be drinking/eating on transit aren't they? Having said that, I support opening more shops like these, hopefully they can create Metrotown station in a way that it supports more retail space. Maybe have a plaza eastwards underneth the SkyTrain guideway.

Talking about Metrotown, does anyone know what's happening with all that construction above the bus loop/walkway between Station Square and Metro? I know they've been doing some tiling/flooring but they've been at it for quite a while... and it looks like they are doing something with the facade too...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 8:53 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Not sure, but I thought they were going to extend the walkway outwards and make it much wider.
Also I beleive one of the makeover plans for Metrotown station involves building a concourse level under the current station so the ticket level would be alot larger then the current one and include some retail.

The coffee shops at stations make sense even if you can't take the drinks onto transit, you can now have the coffee shop as the meeting place when your friend whose's always late doesn't show up on time and you end up walking around the station for 10-15 minutes looking like a tourist who doesn't know what train to get on.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 11:11 PM

or grab one as you get off the train on your way to work...

there were putting in an international news at the brentwood station but i haven't noticed how far along it is

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 11:19 PM

People were drinking "Ethical Bean" coffee on the trains today.

Perhaps they should open pet stores and radio shacks

(Stations have long had tobacconists, but most (if not all) smokers seem to know that acutally *using* that product is not allowed on the trains, coffee drinkers don't seem to clue into that part)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure