HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 1:30 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I don't think there's anything 80s about it. If anything, it's very "airport architecture" of the last 10-15 years.

The Delta Terminal at LAX (Terminal 5), now THAT is definitely 80s:

From josephcduda-architecture.com

It looks like fricking South Coast Plaza circa 1986. All it needs is a Jay Jacobs, The Limited and Contempo Casuals and like, it would be really rad! Granted, that's also a vintage photo. But I'm sure it still looks like that, haha (I haven't been inside Terminal 5 in decades)!
Yes, it still looks like that.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 2:06 PM

LAX hikes parking fees at economy lots (LA Times)

LAX hikes parking fees at economy lots

LA Times
October 21, 2009

Travelers who use the economy parking lots at Los Angeles International Airport will pay $2 more per day starting Nov.19.

The Los Angeles Board of Airport Commissioners approved the increase Monday for parking lots B and C, whose rates were last raised in 2002.

When the increase goes into effect it will cost $10 a day to park in Lot B on 111th Street and $12 a day in Lot C off Sepulveda Boulevard.

Airport officials said the new rates will help offset the rising costs of operating, maintaining and policing the lots, as well as the free bus service that shuttles passengers between the parking lots and airport terminals.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 3:04 AM

It doesn't surprise me that the world's most hated airports are also among the world's busiest. I've also had very low opinions of O'Hare and Heathrow, and LAX goes without saying.

From the LA Times:

Frequent fliers rate LAX the third-worst airport in the world

Turns out that a $1-billion overhaul of Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) (Bradley Terminal, above) can’t come too soon for 14,526 frequent fliers, who rated it the third-worst airport in the world in a just-released survey. The most hated airport? London’s giant Heathrow (LHR), followed by Paris’ Charles de Gaulle (CDG).
The online survey was conducted in September among members of Priority Pass, a program that charges an annual fee for access to airport lounges.
As for LAX: My colleague Christopher Reynolds has a suggestion or two (actually 10) for improving that place. Interestingly, it did not rank as the worst airport in the U.S. among American members of Priority Pass. That dubious honor fell to Chicago’s O’Hare (ORD), with LAX pulling up second and Atlanta (ATL) third.

Commenting on the worldwide results, program officials suggested that “anyone wanting a romantic break in Paris should avoid the Heathrow – Charles de Gaulle route if they don’t want to kill the mood.” I suggest Eurostar travel between the two capitals: nice terminals, romantic landscapes, pretty decent food and you arrive downtown, saving transit time into the city.
Singapore (SIN) topped the list of the world’s best airports, followed by Hong Kong (HKG). I’ve been to both, and they’re fabulous.
— Jane Engle, assistant Los Angeles Times Travel editor
[Tom Bradley Terminal at LAX in summer 2008. Photo by Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times]

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 7:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bill View Post
Would a modern design still look okay after 30 or 40 years? Remember, at one time we actually thought avocado paint was da bomb...
yes, it would if it were a defining piece of work. it'd be nice to see the billion plus dollars go towards a more noteworthy design. say what you personally will about barajas, beijing, incheon, or kansai, but those airports are the architectural landmarks of their time. they will be in textbooks 35 years from now whereas lax's expansion will be forgotten before it's even built. lax's expansion is a 1.5 billion dollar architectural yawn.

there's nothing "airport architecture" about the blocky columns and trusses in the fentress design. to use my favorite analogy, this design is to "airport architecture" what the 2005 mustang is to the 65 mustang. graceless mimicry. yeah, fentress has got some of the requisite "modern airport" features...you know, the curvilinear roof and the glass curtainwall, and yeah it's got a couple diagonally positioned walkways for kicks, as if incorporating a few elements common to noteworthy projects elsewhere qualifies as "modern airport architecture" - it's too bad this design lacks the originality, imagination, and the aesthetic lightness of its contemporaries. but it is "safe" and "inoffensive", which tends to be the best la can muster without being gaudy.

and i was exaggerating. it's more like an early nineties rendition of the something that might have existed in the late 80s.

Last edited by edluva; Oct 23, 2009 at 8:31 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
yes, it would if it were a defining piece of work. it'd be nice to see the billion plus dollars go towards a more noteworthy design. say what you personally will about barajas, beijing, incheon, or kansai, but those airports are the architectural landmarks of their time. they will be in textbooks 35 years from now whereas lax's expansion will be forgotten before it's even built. lax's expansion is a 1.5 billion dollar architectural yawn.

there's nothing "airport architecture" about the blocky columns and trusses in the fentress design. to use my favorite analogy, this design is to "airport architecture" what the 2005 mustang is to the 65 mustang. graceless mimicry. yeah, fentress has got some of the requisite "modern airport" features...you know, the curvilinear roof and the glass curtainwall, and yeah it's got a couple diagonally positioned walkways for kicks, as if incorporating a few elements common to noteworthy projects elsewhere qualifies as "modern airport architecture" - it's too bad this design lacks the originality, imagination, and the aesthetic lightness of its contemporaries. but it is "safe" and "inoffensive", which tends to be the best la can muster without being gaudy.

and i was exaggerating. it's more like an early nineties rendition of the something that might have existed in the late 80s.
That is all subjective opinion, of course; and in my subjective opinion, I think Barajas Airport looks cool for what it is; I've only seen pictures of it, I've never actually been to Barajas, but I don't think it's cutting edge architecture. Wavy roofline, big deal. And I don't dig that tacky color scheme. I've also seen pictures of Beijing airport, not the others, but lemme guess: Steel roof trusses? Glass and metal? All typical airport architecture from at least the early 1990s. I first saw that when I landed at Stansted Airport, back when it was new. All of those new airports are basically some modified version of that.

IMO what was really cutting-edge airport architecture was Eero Saarinen's TWA terminal at JFK Airport. No airport terminal had ever looked like that before, and of course it was built at the dawn of the commercial jet age, so I think that's more significant in terms of airport architecture. BTW does the TWA terminal at JFK still exist?

Everything else nowadays is pretty much just a variation of the same theme.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 4:45 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

LAX Receives 43 Vendor Bids for Terminals 4, 5, 7 and 8

By Art Marroquin, Staff Writer
October 29, 2009

Los Angeles International Airport on Thursday received 43 bid applications from companies wanting to operate shops and eateries in Terminals 4, 5, 7 and 8.

Airport staff will now evaluate 25 proposals to operate eateries, along with 18 retail applications, said Gina Marie Lindsey, executive director of LAX.

The Board of Airport Commissioners is expected to award the concession contracts in early 2010.

"We are gratified and very excited about the number of responses we received, especially in the midst of this unpredictable economy," Lindsey said. "We are particularly encouraged by the number and diversity of proposals that include local Los Angeles brands and businesses."

Companies that open shop at LAX will be required to invest at least $650 per square foot to refurbish their units, along with rental payments of 12 to 21 percent of their gross annual income, according to an airport report released in May.

LAX offers significantly less room for shops and restaurants than most major airports across the country, offering only 5.1 square feet of concession space for every 1,000 people passing through the airport with an average spending of $7.85 per passenger, according to a report released last year.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 1:24 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

LA Council Approves LAX Bradley Terminal Contracts

November 4, 2009

The Los Angeles City Council signed off Wednesday on a pair of construction contracts totaling $1.13 billion aimed at expanding facilities for overseas travelers and super-sized jumbo jetliners passing through Los Angeles International Airport.

Under the terms of the contracts, Walsh Austin Joint Venture will be charged with adding 1 million square feet to the Tom Bradley International Terminal.

The contractor will also build nine new airline gates capable of accommodating the next generation of jetliners, such as the Airbus A380 and the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, with two of those gates set to open in January 2012.

Construction of the massive terminal expansion, dubbed "Bradley West," is expected to start in January and wrap by mid-2013, funded primarily by the sale of airport bonds and fees charged to the airlines and passengers.

"This is a great day for us," said Los Angeles City Councilman Bill Rosendahl, whose district includes LAX.

"It's getting better every day at LAX," he said. "We're seeing the progress being made."

The Bradley terminal's old concourse area will be demolished, while two entirely new concourses will be built on the north and south sides of the building, leading to the addition of 1 million square feet for ticketing desks, baggage claim areas, security screening, lounges, shops and restaurants.

Plans also call for expanding the federal customs inspection area and building a pair of secured corridors connecting with Terminals 3 and 4 to provide easier access for airline passengers catching another flight.

"We're not just adding some gates to the other side of the terminal. We're building an entirely new terminal and expanding it out west," said Airport Commission President Alan Rothenberg.

"With the approval of these contracts, we will literally be ready to put the shovel in the ground and get to work," he said. "And we pledge we will do it on time and on budget."

LAX's goal to complete the new airline gates within four years comes from an outdated projection that the airport by 2012 would serve 14 to 16 daily Airbus A380 flights, more than any other North American airport.

Officials now expect to handle nine daily Airbus A380 flights by 2012 because the global recession has forced the airlines to slow their demands for the behemoth, double-decked jetliner.

"They are still coming, but it's going to be slowed down," said Gina Marie Lindsey, LAX's executive director.

Last month, the council approved an environmental impact report for the Bradley West project, which was green-lighted as part of a legal settlement reached in 2005 with the county, three airport-adjacent cities and a community group opposed to airport expansion.

Officials expect the Bradley project to generate an estimated 4,000 construction jobs, even as fewer overseas travelers are passing through LAX due to the recession.

"This is our economic stimulus package in Los Angeles," Los Angeles City Councilwoman Janice Hahn said. "We want to make sure everyone benefits from this."

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 1:38 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Pink's Hot Dogs to Open at LAX in 2010

November 11, 2009

L.A.'s top dog selected the official hot dog for Los Angeles International Airport this week.

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa on Tuesday night taste-tested three finalists selected for the official "LAX International Dog" that will be served up when renowned eatery Pink's Hot Dogs opens a stand in the Tom Bradley International Terminal by the start of 2010.

The winning entry was submitted by airport employee Timothy Ihle, whose hot dog was topped with chili, bacon, sauerkraut, shredded cheese, and chopped tomatoes.

Ihle will also be featured on the celebrity wall at the original Pink's hot dog stand at La Brea and Melrose avenues in Hollywood, which opened in 1939.

"LAX is delighted to add this legendary Hollywood eatery to the dining opportunities in Tom Bradley International Terminal," said Gina Marie Lindsey, executive director of LAX.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 10:34 AM

^ I wonder how much aesthetic upgrades will be done to the ORIGINAL Tom Bradley Terminal after the 1 million square foot expansion is complete. IOW, how will the original structure meld/flow into the new ones (north and south)?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 3:24 PM
500 foot Groundscraper

I was thinking just that. It had some of its own renovations right? Looked nothing like the new plans based on what I saw last november when I was there. I think its too bad. Going through the main hall will be totally disjointed with the concourse. O well, it is pretty much a purely aesthetic complaint.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 3:32 AM

I wouldn't doubt that during/after the expansion that the original TBT will be remodeled.

I wish there were definite plans to remodel the other terminals too. The last several times I used LAX, I didn't even use Bradley, and a few of those flights were international ones (I used Terminal 2 for the last few int'l flights I went on).

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 2:44 PM
500 foot Groundscraper

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt that during/after the expansion that the original TBT will be remodeled.

I wish there were definite plans to remodel the other terminals too. The last several times I used LAX, I didn't even use Bradley, and a few of those flights were international ones (I used Terminal 2 for the last few int'l flights I went on).
That's because the airlines have most control over the other terminals. TBIT is the only one that the airport has full control I believe. Some of the rest are fully dedicated to an airline and are then contracted to share. Good examples are Terminal 4 with American, 3 is Southwest I think; 2 Virgin America; 6,7,8 United I think. It's up to the airline to take the initiative in those cases.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 9:50 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
TBIT recently underwent a series of interior cosmetic upgrades; the ticketing lobby, concourses, and FIS facility all received a fresh, updated look. So, I very much doubt that we'll see any more upgrades to the existing TBIT structure anytime soon. I don't know about the facade, though. I think it looks like a prison; hopefully we'll see some exterior upgrades in the future.

This is the ticketing lobby post-renovation...

Source

Quote:
The impending Bradley West project is really all about updating our facilities so that they can accommodate the next generation of jumbo jets. Once the Midfield Satellite Concourse is completed (scheduled completion date of June 2016), we will no longer have to shuttle passengers to the remote gates and we'll move some (if not all) of the Terminal 2 airlines into TBIT, where they rightfully belong.

Regarding plans for airport-wide modernization, there's the recently acquired parking lot east of Terminal 1. I think what we could do is consolidate Terminal 1 and 3 operations into a new facility on that site, which in turn would allow us to build an entirely new terminal in place of Terminals 1-3. But this is all pending the decision of what to do with the North Airfield. If we move the runway farther south, Terminals 1-3 would have to be demolished, thus automatically accelerating the modernization process. We'll see.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 9:55 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
That's because the airlines have most control over the other terminals. TBIT is the only one that the airport has full control I believe. Some of the rest are fully dedicated to an airline and are then contracted to share. Good examples are Terminal 4 with American, 3 is Southwest I think; 2 Virgin America; 6,7,8 United I think. It's up to the airline to take the initiative in those cases.
Terminals 7 and 8 are now under the control of LAWA...

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_13732487

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:53 PM
500 foot Groundscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Terminals 7 and 8 are now under the control of LAWA...

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_13732487
O thanks.

Like I was saying earlier, they wont touch the TBIT ticketing hall so there will probably be a hiccup in the aesthetic experience as you go from curb to concourse, o well, not worth dropping another couple hundred million to make everything consistent in appearance.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 11:10 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ If they were to redo the ticketing lobby to create aesthetic harmony between the new and existing structures, they'd also have to upgrade the exterior and make what are most likely impossible structural improvements (impossible without shutting the whole place down). But they are replacing the existing curbside canopies with ones that resemble the wave-like design of the Bradley West roof and installing new media displays that "... will tie in closely with the look of the Bradley West project..."

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 3:33 PM
500 foot Groundscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
^ If they were to redo the ticketing lobby to create aesthetic harmony between the new and existing structures, they'd also have to upgrade the exterior and make what are most likely impossible structural improvements (impossible without shutting the whole place down). But they are replacing the existing curbside canopies with ones that resemble the wave-like design of the Bradley West roof and installing new media displays that "... will tie in closely with the look of the Bradley West project..."
Well that's cool. I just figured since they JUST redid that area, apparently designed without knowledge of the Fentress design, they wouldn't put any more money there. They could make the interior a little more like the waves by sacrificing some ceiling clearance to adding some wave canopies up there. I know the ceiling dips down at the ticket counters, but in between instead of a boxy ceiling they can just add a metallic sculpture of the waves, play with the lighting and clad that old brown concrete with something. That money would probably be better spent somewhere else and I don't really blame LAWA if they didn't mess with it besides the curbside.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 9:35 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ But Fentress has knowledge of the new renovation.

Something interesting that I hadn't picked up on until now. Notice the canopy to the left in this rendering. Doesn't it look awfully similar to the canopies found at the ticketing counters?

Doesn't the flooring in this rendering look similar to the existing terrazzo floors? They're the same colors done in a similar striped pattern.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 8:19 AM
500 foot Groundscraper

Indeed they do. Just that ticketing hall is such a box. Doesn't have the soaring effect, so if they could make the ceiling more interesting by adding some steel and cladding, might be a quick fix to maintain the same atmosphere throughout. I must say I do love that design.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 9:17 AM

I see a Louis Vuitton in LAX's future!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation