HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 11:12 PM
Waiting for what's next..

Photoshop results... pardon my bad attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
A request for proposals was just sent out for a 400 foot residential tower with an 85 foot podium building, and up to 580 residential units (20% of which would be afforadable), at 1st and Folsom Streets:

Here are a couple renderings from that pdf, showing the proposed locations/heights for towers of the transbay redevelopment plan:
The only difference is that I have used photoshop to link them together... Ok... so I don't do good work!!! Credit to http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments
http://mission.sfgov.org/OCA_BID_ATT...TS/FA26000.pdf

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 11:40 PM

^nice! It may not be perfect, but you did a pretty good job. Downtown SF will be a lot more impressive after the next decade or so if everything goes according to plan.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 7:33 PM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWR View Post
The only difference is that I have used photoshop to link them together...
thanks for doing that - my first thought when I saw the divided image was, 'I wish we could see that all at once, sewn together'

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 3:20 PM

So I was messing around on Emporis, and found out that since 1997, 53 highrises have been built in San Francisco (while only 4 were built from 1989-1997). I know we've had a boom since the late 90s, but I didn't know it was that big. Cool.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 7:46 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

If all of the towers are built as large as shown in that render, that almost doubles the size (or at least the perceived size) of the downtown SF skyline. Impressive, to say the least.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 1:18 AM

1600 market is being demolished right now. good to see progress happening at that site finally. i think that's 4 active projects on market between van ness and safeway.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
1600 market is being demolished right now. good to see progress happening at that site finally. i think that's 4 active projects on market between van ness and safeway.
Great news. Thanks!

And since we're on the topic...

Quote:
City Bonds Slated To Finance 2175 Market Street Development

According to the City and County of San Francisco Residential Mortgage Revenue Bond Law, the City of San Francisco is empowered to issue and sell mortgage bonds "to finance the development of multi-family housing including units for lower income households and very low income households."
http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...et_street.html

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 4:46 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPA View Post
Well said! Not every new development needs to be architectural ecstasy. A simple handsome development can do the goodwork of infil while providing a contrast and backdrop for the true gems.

With that said, we need more gems!! I'd particularly like some buildings that are NOT neo-victorian. No bay windows, wood siding, etc. Just something fresh and modern. Is that too much to ask?
I couldn't agree with you more NOPA and have thought this for a long time!
[Sorry for the delayed response--took a Cancun break for a week and longing to go back already!]

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 1:19 AM

"Bay Lights" was approved and should be up and running by early next year.

Quote:
Over the next several months, electricians in harnesses will be climbing the suspension cables during the midnight hours to affix the LED lights to the vertical suspender cables that connect to the bridge deck. Each bulb will be adjusted to a level of brightness ranging from zero to 255.
Villareal, 45, will direct the installation via laptop, while stationed on a boat, on Treasure Island or on the second-floor deck of Waterbar restaurant on the Embarcadero.
"I'm using software as a primary material," he says. "There's a long process of trying things, and there is a lot of randomness and discovery in that process, as I come to resolution on what the piece will be."
This project has nothing to do with the construction of the new span on the Oakland end of the bridge. "Bay Lights" will only be installed on the 1.5-mile suspension bridge between Treasure Island and San Francisco. The LED lights will complement the permanent necklace that has draped the suspension cables since the bridge's 50th anniversary in 1986.
"Bay Lights" will be visible only from the waterfront north of the bridge, or from a boat on the bay. It will operate between dusk and 2 a.m. nightly and will not be visible from the bridge deck, so as not to distract motorists.
A nonprofit organization, Illuminate the Arts, has been established specifically for the project, with a six-member board of directors. A staff of three worked for a year to earn a transportation art permit from Caltrans, which owns and operates the bridge.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/art/article/Ba...#ixzz26sGXw6qk
And the website which has some great videos of the project:

http://thebaylights.org/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 1:38 AM
Sonoma Strong

With Bay Lights and the new East Span, the Bay Bridge will be looking its best ever. I only wish Bay Lights was permanent.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 2:04 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Great news. Thanks!

And since we're on the topic...

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...et_street.html
I'm really looking forward to this latest addition to my neighborhood--the gas station at that site has closed already.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 3:33 AM

Taken today:

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
They moved really quickly on this. The building was still standing as of Monday morning. This morning (Tuesday), the building is entirely gone, and most of the debris has been hauled away already.

It's basically a vacant lot already just 36 hours after heavy demolition started.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 4:47 AM

More news about the Moscone expansion:

Quote:
Moscone Center expansion plans unveiled by travel association

New plans for the Moscone Center would add 200,000 square feet of convention space. Conventions have reportedly been asking for more space.
In a bid to re-establish The City’s place among West Coast convention destinations, the Moscone Convention Center could add more than 200,000 square feet of underground and aboveground convention and meeting space.

San Francisco Travel Association President Joe D’Alessandro unveiled plans to add the meeting and exhibition space Friday during a San Francisco Business Times event about future development here.

The South of Market convention center is no longer large enough to accommodate all the clients looking to hold events in San Francisco, D’Alessandro said, and The City has lost $2 billion in business because of space limitations. Despite ranking just 25th in size for convention facilities, he added, the Moscone Center generates the most money per square foot.
http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2012...nter-expansion

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 11:41 AM

I'm really excited about the Bay Lights! Can't wait.

How is the Eastern Span coming along? How come no one talks about it here?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 9:04 PM

1600 market street - before & after

I was by 1600 Market St. recently and was amazed to see the building torn down in a few days after I walked by. Another apartment building going up on this corner.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 8:52 AM

Wow Bay Lights is great project. Probably they cant keep it permanent because of finances.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.o.r.t.e.x View Post
Wow Bay Lights is great project. Probably they cant keep it permanent because of finances.
I chipped in a few bucks for this and I'm happy to see it moving forward. It's such a no brainer for a world class city.

I'm hoping it becomes so popular that the city or some philanthropist comes forward to fund it permanently.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 4:59 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
I chipped in a few bucks for this and I'm happy to see it moving forward. It's such a no brainer for a world class city.

I'm hoping it becomes so popular that the city or some philanthropist comes forward to fund it permanently.
I think that's exactly what will happen--many people will contribute towards making it permanent, just like we did when they first put lights on the Bay Bridge.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 7:02 PM
testify

yeah, i think if it turns out nicely and is well-received, it'll be there forever, which is great, obvious. man, the waterfront is just rolling right now - we have the f-line extension to fort mason, a fort mason redevelopment that's on track (but still in the design stages), fisherman's wharf with a couple great projects (the arch park and pier teardown; jefferson street upgrades), the cruise ship terminal, the exploratorium, this lighting project on the bridge, and the warriors stadium. not to mention everything happening in china basic mission bay, which is sort of waterfront, even if it's not on the embarcadero. a very nice time. now if 8 washington can get back on track, and we can get the subway out to fort point, along with a proper redevelopment of the muni lot...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations