HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 2:19 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
So excited! I asked for something to break up all that surface parking and I got a master planned,walkable community development that will take up all of it!

Such a huge win. This project will reshape downtown... I kind of don't even know where to begin... sigh

Also, the news about the plaza tower being under contract! Might mean nothing, but still!

I know some posters worry about the sustainability of housing in the CBD, but I am beginning to worry about all these developers pinning their hopes (and hopefully not bottom lines) on large scale national retail. With this project, a possible entergy powerplant development, and the last iberville redo I heard about was heavily retail based as well. There is a void in the market- yes but that big? and who will this retail be?

My next dream for downtown/warehouse- DOG PARK!
Ok so can you now ask for a signature 1500 foot tower to replace the World Trade Center. The timing of this article with our discussion was crazy.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
The timing of this article with our discussion was crazy.
Yeah we were talking about a bar and grocery making a difference down there. I never imagined this type of transformation so soon. It's on the Domain website already too.

http://www.thedomaincos.com/current_portfolio.htm

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 2:49 AM

Very exciting! I mean, speechless!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 3:03 AM

South Market District

South Market District images posted on T-P provided by PETER MAYER.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 3:22 AM
on the south side

Great news for Nola! Lets hope it will come to fruition!!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 3:27 AM
Ex Houstonian

I remember many years ago hearing about a hospital in NO, I think it was called Charity Hospital that was going to expand and tear down a large chunk of an historic neighborhood. Did this ever happen or am I thinking about a different city?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 3:38 AM

Its happening right now

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 4:10 AM
-

I really like the scaling of this. These types of developments work really well when they have a great existing urban fabric to tie into. Also Im guessing the plan is to also convert the bottom floor of the Entergy Centre Garage to retail/office as well? Looks like it would be the perfect place for the new WWL tv studios. Always thought a street level television studio could do well here.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
I remember many years ago hearing about a hospital in NO, I think it was called Charity Hospital that was going to expand and tear down a large chunk of an historic neighborhood. Did this ever happen or am I thinking about a different city?
see post #1286

Awesome news on the new development. Really like the rendering of the taller building right off Loyola. According to the article "The development will have a 14-story building facingLoyola next to the Energy Centre garage. Other buildings inside thedevelopment will be eight or nine stories."

Last edited by sguil1; Dec 8, 2010 at 4:56 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 6:00 AM

Wow, this is great. For some reason I wish that they were taller, but anything is better than surface parking.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 6:51 AM

I think the great thing is that Domain has followed through on every other planned project in the city.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 7:07 AM

Holy Crap! This is so huge! If the Iberville redevelopment goes as planned...the whole Loyola Ave. corridor will be amazing in a few years.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 8:25 AM

This news is so amazing. I'm really looking forward to that area of downtown coming to life over the next few years, with walk-ons and happys, the hyatt, the saratoga, the streetcar, south market district, rouses, etc...

All of this (especially south market distrcit) really will move downtown new orleans on a whole new level

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 9:06 AM

holy CRAP!!!! This is by far my new favorite development for new orleans. Even better than the new hospitals

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
And its not a historic neighborhood

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 4:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Wow, this is great. For some reason I wish that they were taller, but anything is better than surface parking.
I dont think the height is a problem at all. It will b more liveable at the scale

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 5:33 PM

The height is great. It will fill out the skyline, but not compete with the surrounding towers. I am excited to see the materials and finishes. I don't have a go-to style in mind and the CBD is such a hodgepodge they good go some many directions and still claim to be "fitting in". Any ideas?

I think it is odd that they aren't marketing at least part of the residences as condos. I can tell you there is def a lack of 100-200k properties in decent areas in NOLA. I wonder if some of their tax credits don't apply to condo developments...My next wish is more ownership developments in the CBD- apartments age, but ownership builds neighborhoods.

I also find it odd that they are saying the new Rouses will anchor the development, but it seems from yesterdays article this was news to Rouses. I wonder how excite Rouses is to be opening a store that for at least a year will be next to a huge construction site.

What are the chances of this not happening? I think the Domain Co is legit and there track record seems to prove they know what they are doing. Have they ever failed at any other local development? I have been following the region for awhile but not that long.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
The height is great. It will fill out the skyline, but not compete with the surrounding towers. I am excited to see the materials and finishes. I don't have a go-to style in mind and the CBD is such a hodgepodge they good go some many directions and still claim to be "fitting in". Any ideas?

I think it is odd that they aren't marketing at least part of the residences as condos. I can tell you there is def a lack of 100-200k properties in decent areas in NOLA. I wonder if some of their tax credits don't apply to condo developments...My next wish is more ownership developments in the CBD- apartments age, but ownership builds neighborhoods.

I also find it odd that they are saying the new Rouses will anchor the development, but it seems from yesterdays article this was news to Rouses. I wonder how excite Rouses is to be opening a store that for at least a year will be next to a huge construction site.

What are the chances of this not happening? I think the Domain Co is legit and there track record seems to prove they know what they are doing. Have they ever failed at any other local development? I have been following the region for awhile but not that long.
There is a possibility that there will be condos. According to Domain Cos. website at http://www.thedomaincos.com/soma.htm , the development will include "500 luxury apartments and condominiums."

In my opinion, it seems that Rouse was not surprised and does not have a problem with the construction. From T-P article:
Donald Rouse, co-owner of the Thibodaux-based grocer, said the excitementabout the neighboring development is mutual. "The additional residences as well as the additional businesses will help our store and the whole area. We're equally excited to have them begin their project," Rouse said. "What they're doing, what we're doing, it'll all spur additional development."

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 1:55 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Too bad nobody lives in the part of the Warehouse District nearest Loyola... we need to change that!
Wow, seems like I was prophetic, huh?

The scale of this is massive. It's hard to believe, really. It's good to see ambitious proposals again, though.

I always thought the Rouse's location was a little odd, since most of the Warehouse District housing is much closer to the river. Now I see why Rouse's took a chance on a building on O'Keefe. I have no doubts that Domain helped lure Rouse's. This article talks about how Domain renovated the Gold Seal Creamery, several retail spaces, and St. Patrick Park to increase the value of the Crystal Club units. That goes beyond what any reasonable developer would do.

I'm a little on the fence about the height of the buildings. This has never been a skyscraper city, so mid-rises are appropriate. (They'll also fill up faster and encourage more development sooner). However, zoning doesn't allow too many sites for tall buildings, and those select few sites are mostly along Loyola.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 3:47 PM
-

Like I said earlier in the thread nothing will change a neighborhood faster than a full service grocery store. The next thing they will need is a 24 hour drugstore which I'm sure they will find. Also, someone was saying they didn't understand why Rouses was locating where it did. Simply put it it was an issue of economic feasibility and space. The price per square foot in the heart of the warehouse district would prohibit the financial success of the store. I also understand that we want more high rises but will say there are still many potential spots to put one not too mention 6 story buildings can be torn down too. The disappearance of surface parking is likely to spur higher construction on the remaining parcels too.

Now, Id like to hear some suggestions people have for the retail. Chipotle, Johnny Rockets, Martins Wine Cellar, Snap 24/7 fitness, Planet Beach, PJs, Starbucks, Pink Taco seem like good starts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations