HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 7:31 AM
Reason and Freedom

The new logo is lame.

Last edited by Prometheus; Jun 9, 2010 at 9:59 AM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 8:17 AM

Ugh. The new whitecaps logo is disappointing.

I was expecting something much...better. The logo reminds me of a minor league soccer logo. I don't like it. With that being said, I hope it grows on me like the Canucks uni (with the word "Vancouver" on the front) did. I dunno..anyone have any pics of what the actual uniforms are going to look like? More or less the same as the current ones, just the logo's different?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 9:27 AM

I'm not that keen on it -
Looks very generic - doesn't scream soccer - although it does share the diamond shapes with the Umbro logo.
Doesn't scream Vancouver or Whitecaps (wave).
They could have made the lower elements more wave-like while still retaining a "W" shape.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CHG2GRbeET...bro+Logo+1.gif

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 2:11 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolmak View Post
How come Toronto doesn't have a proper team name?
They do. Toronto FC. Traditionally, football ( soccer ) clubs don't have colourful mascots or cartoon-like names.

source

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 4:29 PM

A tasteful "shield" like the Toronto FC logo would be nice. The logo that they selected would suffice if it was put inside such a shield.

It is good to have "Vancouver" in the logo because the name "Vancouver" has a lot of market value currently, what with the Olympics. This is why the Canucks added it to their logo, too.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 5:42 PM
Reason and Freedom

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Informative video. What I find kind of ironic is that the MLS is expanding or has recently expanded into what are arguably the best soccer cities in North America--Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, Montreal, Toronto (though from TO's soccer history one never would have expected the success TFC has had). All of these teams have been selling out and will set out every game next year and the year after. It's quite astonishing.

Compare that to the NHL, which over the last 15-20 years or so has mostly (i.e., save Ottawa) expanded and/or relocated to the most marginal hockey cities in North America. Oh, and before I forget...Bettman sucks!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 6:49 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjauk View Post

What I find kind of ironic is that the MLS is expanding or has recently expanded into what are arguably the best soccer cities in North America--Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, Montreal, Toronto...

Compare that to the NHL, which over the last 15-20 years or so has mostly (i.e., save Ottawa) expanded and/or relocated to the most marginal hockey cities in North America.
What is ironic about it? More like logical. MLS is a fledgling, vulnerable league and is thus establishing itself in the safest cities. The NHL, by contrast, is a strong, established league with franchises already in most major North American cities and which is thus now attempting to expand into new markets.

Last edited by Prometheus; Jun 9, 2010 at 7:09 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
A tasteful "shield" like the Toronto FC logo would be nice. The logo that they selected would suffice if it was put inside such a shield.
Exactly. I think a traditional shield or other conventional shapes would give it that "football crest" appeal that this new one doesn't.
I whipped this one together in 5 mins. I don't particularly like it but it shows what can be achieved rather easily.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 11:48 PM

Nice.

Looks less like a brand you'd see in the supermarket.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 2:57 AM

It certainly makes it look less like a non-carbonated sports drink logo, lol.

Some other news. The kit and shirt sponsor is being announced at a press conference tomorrow morning at Bentall 5 making Bell the expected sponsor. Hopefully they'll be able to get close to $4m a year like LA and Seattle get from their sponsors.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business...650/story.html

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
What is ironic about it? More like logical. MLS is a fledgling, vulnerable league and is thus establishing itself in the safest cities. The NHL, by contrast, is a strong, established league with franchises already in most major North American cities and which is thus now attempting to expand into new markets.
So, it's logical to start your business in the worst possible locations, hanging on by your fingernails, while almost going bankrupt a couple of times along the way, (of which one time the only thing to save you was the generosity of a single, albeit well-heeled, patron), only to add the strongest and most lucrative locations/franchises 15-20 years later? Sounds like a great business plan.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 5:50 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjauk View Post
So, it's logical to start your business in the worst possible locations, hanging on by your fingernails, while almost going bankrupt a couple of times along the way, (of which one time the only thing to save you was the generosity of a single, albeit well-heeled, patron), only to add the strongest and most lucrative locations/franchises 15-20 years later? Sounds like a great business plan.
It was not 15-20 years later. MLS started play in 1996. Toronto's expansion was announced in 2005, Seattle's in 2007, and Portland's and Vancouver's in 2009. This constitutes 9, 11, and 13 years respectively. Moreover, MLS started to flourish in 2002 after the 2002 World Cup, and charter teams Los Angeles and Dallas began earning profits in 2002 and 2003 respectively, i.e., years before the above expansions were even announced.

That said, I am not going to defend MLS's specific business plan or its specific choice of charter cities in 1996, except to say that maybe the first 9-13 years of a major sports league can be considered as comprising the opening chapter of this kind of long-term venture, and the franchises established during this period have included some of the "best soccer cities in North America." Thus, the opening chapter of MLS, on the whole, has been logical.

Last edited by Prometheus; Jun 10, 2010 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 6:57 PM
loafing in lotusland

I think he was talking about the NHL.

Expanding into Phoenix-like cities while denying hockey hotbeds. The most recent being Hamilton.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 7:11 PM

Just saw the new Whitecaps unis. I don't know if I like them just yet. Here are the pics:

Home Jersey

Away Jersey

What do you guys think?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 7:19 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post

I think he was talking about the NHL.

Expanding into Phoenix-like cities while denying hockey hotbeds. The most recent being Hamilton.
No he was not. He was talking about the business plan and early years of MLS.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Just saw the new Whitecaps unis. I don't know if I like them just yet. Here are the pics:

Home Jersey

Away Jersey

What do you guys think?
Here they are:
Taken from the Province website

and from TEAM 1040:

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 8:35 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post

Home Jersey

Away Jersey

What do you guys think?
the kits seem really form-fitting. and the white one reminds me of the german kit. and i do not know about those horizontal stripes. it forces my eyes to look at his crotch.

the blue one is a little meh.

When i think about the 'caps i always seen them as "mr nice guys" on the field. stable, conservative, laid back yet competitive. This kit does not change this.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 8:55 PM

jersey is meh, both LS and SS. wtf is up with that beige-white SS one

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 8:58 PM
scared of rain

Any word on what the value of the deal was?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation