HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 1:28 AM

I think it's just nice if we could have three successful franchises running. The Canucks no doubt are leading the way. Who comes after that? Who cares. I just want to see these teams doing well in their respective regular seasons, and bringing home championships (Stanley Cup(s), MLS Cup(s), and Grey Cup(s)).

I think the 'Caps are becoming quite popular already, and they've only played one game. They'll be a successful franchise in this province, and in the league they play in (MLS). The Lions already have a foothold in this province. They have nothing to worry about. With that being said, they need to advertise just as much as the 'Caps have. One poster said, nothing wrong with a little competition - it brings out the best in everyone. I agree. All three of these teams will have to consistently "raise their game" (business sense, and also sport wise). Hope the 'Caps win in Philly this Saturday, won't be able to watch the game cause it's on Sportsnet ONE (what channel is that on, anyways? Anyone know?)

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 1:43 AM

I hope this means toonie beer nites!! that is true competition

anybody know if there is a surrey supporters pub for the caps?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 2:41 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post

The average national tv audience for a Canucks game on CBC is 893 000.(from Canucks.com) The average national tv audience for a Lions game on TSN is 884 000.(from Ullrich article)

Does this mean that the Lions are as popular as the Canucks? No. It means that the Lions audience is concentrated into 18 regular season games vs the Canucks 82 vs the Whitecaps 36.

So a fairer comparison would be to pro rate the Lions audience over a 36 game schedule, which would cut the Lions numbers in half.
That's silly. If we used such logic, we would have to conclude that the NHL is about as popular in the United States as the NFL, which only has 16 games per season.

Your notion of "pro rating" a season (just like your notion of counting total attendance instead of average attendance) has no validity when comparing an 18-game season with a 36-game season. One of the biggest complaints of many football fans is that there are not more games. Your premise that attendance and viewership would decline if 18 more games were mixed into the season is preposterous. Doubling the amount of games is likely to be met with great enthusiasm by football fans, not less interest.

Why then don't professional football leagues have more than 16 or 18 games per season?

Two reasons:

1) Unlike soccer and hockey, which consist mainly of free-flowing spontaneous play, football consists almost entirely of rehearsed set-plays tailored to a specific opponent. During a game, a football team probably executes a hundred different, very complicated set plays specifically designed to fool the particular team they are playing. To prepare for a game, each player must spend hours and hours studying his playbook (which is a highly technical manual that consist of hundreds of pages), watching detailed game film of the next opponent, and rehearsing all the set plays on the practice field. This level of preparation takes about a week. Simply put, it is not feasible to play more than one game per week.

2) The exceptionally violent nature of football creates too much attrition through serious injuries to play more games per season. As it is, most professional football players lead debilitated lives once their careers are over and suffer higher rates of premature dimentia due to frequent head trauma.

What the closeness of the BC Lions' ratings to the Canucks' ratings likely shows us is that the BC Lions have become a much closer second to the Canucks (in terms of fan base) than we realized.

Last edited by Prometheus; Mar 23, 2011 at 4:04 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 3:06 AM

Who really cares? They are chasing after completely different markets.

Whitecaps: Desiring to be European, yearning to be cosmopolitain, starbucks drinking yuppie crowd.

BC Lions: Loving Canada, think Cosmopolitain is some sort of mangazine, Tim Hortons drinking middle class crowd.

In case you may take me too seriously I am having a bit of fun, but I do think the CFLs customer attrition will be relatively low because of the vastly different target audience of MLS.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 3:39 AM

I fit into the Whitecaps stereotype pretty much. I wouldn't watch a CFL game if my life depended on it and I also despise Tim Hortons coffee. Not that I spend a lot of time watching sports in general. As a casual fan, I enjoy going to a Canucks game or watching them on tv every now and then. I feel drawn to similarly supporting the Whitecaps in my own half-assed way.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
That's silly. If we used such logic, we would have to conclude that the NHL is about as popular in the United States as the NFL, which only has 16 games per season.
NBC's nationally televised Sunday night football game averaged 22 million viewers in 2010. NBC's nationally televised NHL game of the week averaged 1.6 million viewers.(09-10) Pro rated, that still leaves the NFL with nearly triple the audience of the NHL. Sounds about right.

Quote:
Your notion of "pro rating" a season (just like your notion of counting total attendance instead of average attendance) has no validity when comparing an 18-game season with a 36-game season. One of the biggest complaints of many football fans is that there are not more games. Your premise that attendance and viewership would decline if 18 more games were mixed into the season is preposterous.
Double the games would mean much higher season ticket prices, which would certainly reduce the number of season ticket buyers. I'm sure you agree that the laws of supply and demand apply to professional sports.

Quote:
What the closeness of the BC Lions' ratings to the Canucks' ratings likely shows us is that the BC Lions have become a much closer second to the Canucks (in terms of fan base) than we realized.
The Canucks are #1 by a long shot. Everybody knows this.

Last edited by logan5; Mar 23, 2011 at 2:26 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 12:08 AM
Mac User

I found an article that says TSN drew 1.4 million unique viewers that watched at least a portion of the game.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/spor...but-53391.html

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 7:36 PM

An article in which at one points emphasizes the fact that if you don't "get" soccer, don't worry, your world's not going to change because of all these new soccer fans, there's plenty of room for all.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1957602/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 8:24 AM

did anyone watch the game today against Philly?

I didn't have Sportsnet One, but saw some of the highlights. Wow. The reffing could not have been worse. The reffing needs to get better. Does MLS have some kind of program for their refs, in order for them to call better? The 'Caps could have gotten a tie, for all of their chances in the first half. Oh well. Back home and next game against Sporting KC.

Anyone know when Demerit is a go against KC? Glad that Salgado got his international transfer certificate to be able to play this season. only good news for the 'Caps. Hassli, Salgado up front. Looks scary as both men are big (although, Salgado needs to beef up a bit - too thin!).

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 6:01 PM

Are the refs not FIFA officials? If so, the MLS may not have as much a say as one would think. I don't believe they have jurisdiction over refs - but I haven't really researched it.

But yes, the reffing was horrendous. Too bad Hassli has a 1 game suspension (and $250 fine). But I felt they played okay despite the loss.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 6:21 PM

As far as I know the refs are FIFA officials. From what I saw of the game, the reffing was consistent with what's in CONCACAF. If you've ever seen the Canadian national team play, it's all part of the game in this part of the world... inconsistency, blind calls, playing to the crowd, etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ani9Wkx-TE

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 7:23 PM
Cheers!

Typical game that quickly degrades when the ref blows some calls. Players start taking advantage, and you get a series of diving, chippy play. Very frustrating to players, and for fans of the game. Yes, this reminded me of some CONCACAF BS reffing I've seen with WCQ matches involving Canada.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 4:45 PM

So I went to the game last night. First one as I have managed to sell tickets for games I can’t go to fairly easily. Although I am looking forward to getting into BC Place by end of season, Empire will also be nice through the summer months. It is a pretty good atmosphere there.

More importantly, contrary to my earlier fears that there would only be pissy Budweiser to drink, there are other Inbev offerings to be had. I saw Budweiser for $7, Sleeman Cream for $7.50 and Stella for $8 (Stella poured from the can, which is a plus for me). Not too bad I guess, and seems to be on par with prices at Rogers Arena, and give us some hope that there will be at least three options, possibly more, when things move to BC Place

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 6:23 PM
See ya down under, mates

Here's a video of the Hassli goal from my seats. Love the crowds at Empire:

http://www.facebook.com/v/10150520968985456 (don't need Facebook to watch)

I honestly didn't give the Caps a chance pre-MLS but I am hooked now.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 6:26 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Who really cares? They are chasing after completely different markets.

Whitecaps: Desiring to be European, yearning to be cosmopolitain, starbucks drinking yuppie crowd.

BC Lions: Loving Canada, think Cosmopolitain is some sort of mangazine, Tim Hortons drinking middle class crowd.

In case you may take me too seriously I am having a bit of fun, but I do think the CFLs customer attrition will be relatively low because of the vastly different target audience of MLS.
I definitely plan to divert some of my limited entertainment budget from the Canucks to the Whitecaps. Especially after going to that last horrendous Canucks vs Oilers game and paying $300+ to do so.

Never cared about the Lions.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 12:18 AM
Cheers!

I wouldn't count on every game being as entertaining as these first few, though if you're a hardcore soccer fan, you won't look so much at the number of goals scored... We do seem to have a team that isn't afraid to press forward. Seems to make for a wide open contest. I'm wondering if the caps will ever field their top 11 at this rate... constant stream of injuries/cards.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 12:32 AM

It's still early, but it starting to look like Hassli is a bit of a flake. I hope I'm wrong though.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 1:33 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
It's still early, but it starting to look like Hassli is a bit of a flake. I hope I'm wrong though.
He needs to get used to the reffing... he'll settle in. The last few years, he's never been kicked out of a game.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I definitely plan to divert some of my limited entertainment budget from the Canucks to the Whitecaps. Especially after going to that last horrendous Canucks vs Oilers game and paying $300+ to do so.
And this is coming from a former employee of the Canucks organization at that.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 4:42 PM

News conference right now.....friendly announced for Monday 18 July 7pm at Empire.

Whitecaps FC v Manchester City

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation