HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Large Mast of Matsqui Transmitting Site in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Abbotsford Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 8:03 PM

[Abbotsford] Mixed Use Tower on Gladwin Road | 80m | 24 Floors | Proposed

This 24 storey multi-use tower is proposed on Gladwin Road on the site of an existing parking lot north of the complex at a height of 262'-0" or 79.9m.

Image from Google Maps - Link

There will be one underground commercial parking level and six above ground residential parking levels. The commercial portion consists of a connected four level building along the Gladwin Road face of the building with one commercial retail unit level and three office levels. The residential portion of the building begins on level 7 and goes up to level 24, with the main entrance along the laneway to the south which is presumed to be an extension of Ventura Ave.

Sketch by W G Architecture

This building is still in the development permit process with the City of Abbotsford.

Photo by Sonicwolf of SSP

25 storeys probably includes the one underground parking level.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 5:32 AM

Holy crap! Where did you find that design sketch?

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 7:13 AM

I can't believe it... we're finally growing up!

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 7:24 AM

the number of proposals out there, this one, more down the street on gladwin (i'll try to get details, from what i've heard it's 3 high rise + 3 low rise), the ones across from Emco Bdlg, it's pretty exciting. But the real question is, can abbotsford support this much development? It seems the infrastructure of the city can, but is their enough demand for that much residential?

I'm just hoping we can get a couple more underway in the next few years, if we can get them all i'll be giddy like a school girl.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 8:10 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I hope the building looks like that sketch. That's a great design.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 6:06 PM

Nice!
From the Google map it looks like its on the same block as a TD Bank office building
- so that block looks like it'll be a "downtown-looking" street wall.
(Other than the CUPE building driveway between)

Old Posted May 15, 2010, 2:12 AM

Yea I agree, this building will be a great addition to Abbotsford but I heard that the developer and the City of Abbotsford is butting heads on a few items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
Holy crap! Where did you find that design sketch?
Don't ask, don't tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefff View Post
the number of proposals out there, this one, more down the street on gladwin (i'll try to get details, from what i've heard it's 3 high rise + 3 low rise), the ones across from Emco Bdlg, it's pretty exciting. But the real question is, can abbotsford support this much development? It seems the infrastructure of the city can, but is their enough demand for that much residential?

I'm just hoping we can get a couple more underway in the next few years, if we can get them all i'll be giddy like a school girl.
I'm not sure, La Galleria hasn't even broken ground and that was one of the developments I was excited about. The notion that people move to the Valley to be able to live in single family houses might be true, but if Abbotsford can manage to develop an attractive urban core then we may move towards seeing people flock to Abbotsford from all walks of life. Plan A was the first step (Abbotsford Heat hockey is reason enough to be here), perhaps seeing multiple new towers and blocks and blocks of improved streetscapes is the next step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Nice!
From the Google map it looks like its on the same block as a TD Bank office building
- so that block looks like it'll be a "downtown-looking" street wall.
(Other than the CUPE building driveway between)
There's the Scotia Bank tower as well, but it still looks quite barren with the parking lots for Sevenoaks and West Oaks Mall, and it'll be decades before that changes unfortunately. Look at Metrotown for example. Of course the shopping malls don't want to be hidden behind developments so we can't bank on them selling land off for development, and with Abby Lane in the works, I can't see demand for expansion coming any time soon unless new big anchors want to come in similar to what Best Buy did.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
There's the Scotia Bank tower as well, but it still looks quite barren with the parking lots for Sevenoaks and West Oaks Mall, and it'll be decades before that changes unfortunately. Look at Metrotown for example. Of course the shopping malls don't want to be hidden behind developments so we can't bank on them selling land off for development, and with Abby Lane in the works, I can't see demand for expansion coming any time soon unless new big anchors want to come in similar to what Best Buy did.
agreed....

however i do see a huge demand for a big movie theater in abbotsford, the closest silvercity is in mission.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefff View Post
however i do see a huge demand for a big movie theater in abbotsford, the closest silvercity is in mission.
It would be nice to have one around Abby Lane, especially since getting to either 200th, Mission or UFV takes quite some time from West Abby

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodii View Post
It would be nice to have one around Abby Lane, especially since getting to either 200th, Mission or UFV takes quite some time from West Abby
It appears that the High Street Mall (formerly Abby Lane) plans include a theatre in the centre.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 2:57 PM

I'm guessing that 75% of the Silvercity Mission patrons are from Abbotsford, so I wonder if a new Abbotsford theatre would hurt Silvercity Mission.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 10:36 PM

I recently talked with a few city hall employees and it seems that this project is currently on hold.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 11:35 PM

Typical....

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 12:07 AM

I also got some information about that dev proposal beside the Red Robin site. The 4 highrises one by Emco. They are re-applying in the near future to enlarge the scale of the project but I did get to see the original proposal from 2006.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 1:16 AM

Ohhh, oh heck I'll just be happy if the original plans get built...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 1:29 AM

Highrises are awkward by themselves. No skyline is better than a tiny skyline, especially with crap pomo knocknoffs like this.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 1:30 AM

Quote:
I also got some information about that dev proposal beside the Red Robin site. The 4 highrises one by Emco. They are re-applying in the near future to enlarge the scale of the project but I did get to see the original proposal from 2006.
I am assuming this potential development would be located on the current over-sized parking lot of Red Robin?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:18 AM

Evidently from the site plan it included the demolition of Red Robin. :o

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 10:26 PM

I found some more information about this project. It appears to be planned for construction by the end of this year:

http://www.mcmcorp.ca/Project.aspx?p...ng%20Phase%202

An odd looking tower.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 3:10 AM

Quote:
I found some more information about this project. It appears to be planned for construction by the end of this year:

http://www.mcmcorp.ca/Project.aspx?p...ng%20Phase%202

An odd looking tower.
Thanks for the finding. Definitely an odd-looking tower with its over-height podium. But for Abbotsford's sake, it's good enough.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley