HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 5:27 AM

[Surrey] Odyssey 2 | 27 Floors | Proposed

Well I originally thought this was dead but looking at upcoming council meeting shows its alive still

http://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcounci...11-0176-00.pdf

A bit of background on this project
Quote:
In 2001, the current applicant submitted a land development application to amend the
Official Community Plan (OCP) to redesignate the subject site from Multiple Residential
to City Centre, to rezone the site from RM-45 Zone to a Comprehensive Development
(CD) Zone, and a Development Permit to permit the construction of a 27-storey
apartment building and a four-storey apartment building (Application No. 7901-0097-00).

• The 2001 application constituted a redesign of an older, previous application (Application
Nos. 5681-618 and 5681-619) on the subject lot and on the adjoining lot to the east. Plans
proposed the construction of a 20-storey apartment tower and a 13-storey apartment tower
linked by a ground-level, enclosed parking area, the roof of which was to be landscaped
and used for amenity purposes. The name given to the project was Odyssey.

Phase 1 of the Odyssey project, which was completed in 1993, consists of a 20-storey,
109-unit, high-rise apartment tower, located on the adjoining lot to the east.

The proposed 27-storey apartment building will be clad in blue-green glass panels and
silver-grey alucobond metal panels.

The base of the building will be clad in the same sand-coloured stone cladding as the
townhouse portion of the building to give more interest and weight to the base of the
tower and to tie the two portions of the building together visually.
anyways to lazy to put up pics right now =P

Last edited by Whalleyboy; Sep 12, 2011 at 5:46 AM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 6:33 AM

That's a good find! I hadn't even realized there was empty land to be developed there!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 7:04 AM

There isn't empty land there. from the looks of it they want to tear down the building that already exists there that just got refurbished.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 8:00 AM

Not crazy about the grandiose automobile drop-off area, but the townhomes are a marked streetscape improvement over its predecessor - and Infinity/Park Place, of course.

Still waiting on that finer-grained pedestrian street grid, of course, and I counted almost half a kilometer from this building site to the nearest commercial street. Not promising. Any mixed-use or commercial slated for 102nd Ave? (Probably not). They're going to need every one of those 217 parking spaces.

(Anecdote: Visited my mother recently, who lives in one of Guildford's taller high-rises along 148th St., and counted about 45 min. - walking - to get a coffee and return. Is it any wonder anyone in Surrey who can afford a car drives wherever they need to go?)

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 8:08 AM

the land is there for this they arent taking any. The plan was originally calling for a 13 floor tower back when the first one was built in 93. But in 2001 they decided to make it bigger instead at 27 floors. stuff happened they couldnt do it but now there coming back

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 8:32 AM

Oh. They are building it directly beside the refurbished building. My mistake. It doesn't look like there is very much room there. From the looks of the plan it's more of an extension to the current Odyssey tower that is there currently. Very nice.

Last edited by WaxItYourself; Sep 13, 2011 at 8:47 AM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff's two cents View Post
(Anecdote: Visited my mother recently, who lives in one of Guildford's taller high-rises along 148th St., and counted about 45 min. - walking - to get a coffee and return. Is it any wonder anyone in Surrey who can afford a car drives wherever they need to go?)
How long does it take your mother to go to the mall? There are about 3-4 coffeeshops in the mall. I live on 154 so the distance to the mall is approx the same (also, I live closer to the busier 152 that has a few standalone cafes) and it does not take me 45 min to walk and return (granted, I am younger but still).

That said, more local businesses around the area with better access for pedestrians would be great.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff's two cents View Post
Not crazy about the grandiose automobile drop-off area, but the townhomes are a marked streetscape improvement over its predecessor - and Infinity/Park Place, of course.

Still waiting on that finer-grained pedestrian street grid, of course, and I counted almost half a kilometer from this building site to the nearest commercial street. Not promising. Any mixed-use or commercial slated for 102nd Ave? (Probably not). They're going to need every one of those 217 parking spaces.

Google says 15 minutes each way to Starbucks on 152nd.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 6:57 PM

Either way that is pretty awful

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 10:42 PM

Its guildford. surrey seems to turn its head to whats going on there. The seem to keep it very suburban which is sad when is right next to central

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 10:48 PM

Why does every Surrey thread have to have the same 2 people posting how much Surrey sucks? Go away please. This has nothing to do with how long it takes to walk to a coffee shop in Guildford and quite honestly it is getting a bit old reading the same thing over and over again.

Start a "Surrey sucks because" thread and post all your gripes in there.

Rome wasn't built in a day and have some bloody patience sheesh.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley