HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 11:53 PM

I hope that means they will have more space to do some streetscaping. Maybe some big planters running along the streets.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 11:53 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Anyone have any idea what the alderman is referring to when mentioning the “Chicago Avenue transit improvement program”?
The biggest thing I've heard about is new signal controllers and left-turn arrows at various intersections.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 12:46 AM
The City

^ The truth is, if River North wants to join the big boys, it needs a lot more traffic signals

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 12:47 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
I hope that means they will have more space to do some streetscaping. Maybe some big planters running along the streets.
We need a lot more of this downtown

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ The truth is, if River North wants to join the big boys, it needs a lot more traffic signals
Yes, it should be just like the Loop, one continuous grid of lights all synced together.

Also please don't destroy the Chicago Bridge. I'd rather keep the congestion, either that or build another bridge through the Tribune plant to the South. Make more street parking and force Chicago down to two lanes with bike lanes. Then relieve Auto traffic on Kedzie, Grand, and Chicago with an additional river crossing. Obviously this also serves the purpose of pissing off every NIMBY between Chicago, State, and the North and main branches of the river. It would also greatly help tie together the West Loop, River North, and River West areas by essentially connecting Erie all the way through with a minor arterial intersection of Halsted and Erie essentially restoring the arterial grid in the area.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 5:28 AM
Making Chicago Memorable.

Another blue glass tower. I wish they would use stone, terra cotta, or at least gold mullions (in addition to the blue glass) to differentiate this tower from other towers going up. Let's bring texture and warmth back to our skyline!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 6:10 AM
TL;DR

Seems like a win-win. A 4-lane Chicago bridge would greatly speed up bus traffic on one of the city's busiest bus lines. Down the road, it could even allow for bus lanes.

Half of the traffic on Chicago is heading for the Kennedy ramp at Ogden, so part of reducing traffic on Chicago should include plans for easing congestion on the Ohio Feeder ramp which is the obvious alternative.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 3:39 PM

Would be nice if the signal upgrades brought TSP to the bus route, at least the River North chunk of it anyway.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 5:33 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

I don't mind the Chicago bridge being replaced, but I think it should be replaced with a new bascule bridge, like Wells St was, except slightly wider to accommodate 4 total lanes. Push the pedestrian traffic into the buildings on either side, or at least on the south side where the part adjacent to the sidewalk is already semi-public. That might be harder on the north side with the restaurant entrance, but doing just the south side might be enough to allow for the necessary width enhancement. But maybe they should add a bridge at Ogden and Haines/Hobbie before they shut down the Chicago Ave bridge for two years, to mitigate the traffic impact. I don't think there is a plan to add bridges to those streets, but there should be if Goose Island and surrounding environs are really planned for massive growth.

I also always thought there should be a bus tunnel from just west of Orleans to Fairbanks, coupled with extending lower Michigan north from Grand to Oak/LSD. That would massively improve bus travel times and, coupled with the LSD express buses, provide for near-rail like levels of service. West of Orleans, Chicago could mostly accommodate BRT at least until about Western Ave without too much effort. Imagine high-volume Chicago Ave bus service linking to the Blue Line and points west to the Mag Mile and high volume Michigan Ave express buses. Then we just need to get Metra Electric to allow regular CTA service on the bus lane running through Grant Park and you could link the South LSD express buses through and get something approximating a rail line for less than a rail line in cost. You could also then link in Carrol Street buses, for a ton of grade-separated BRT serving the Central Area.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpireGuy View Post
Another blue glass tower. I wish they would use stone, terra cotta, or at least gold mullions (in addition to the blue glass) to differentiate this tower from other towers going up. Let's bring texture and warmth back to our skyline!
Honestly when I saw this rendering I was super excited for a darker bolder Mies mixed with Deco look. I thought the details would carry up the facade with a Neo Deco crown. I'm hoping in real life it doesn't turn out as simple looking as it appears in the overall renders. Either way super excited for the height on this one.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 5:44 PM
BANNED

Yeah, the cladding looks fantastic, tho it doesn't look like a residential building at all but whatev

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
But maybe they should add a bridge at Ogden and Haines/Hobbie before they shut down the Chicago Ave bridge for two years, to mitigate the traffic impact.
there are plans to add two bike-ped bridges to Goose Island, since the expectation is that people are gonna walk or bike from the red or blue line.
https://chicago.curbed.com/2015/1/12...-goose-islands

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:47 PM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Honestly when I saw this rendering I was super excited for a darker bolder Mies mixed with Deco look. I thought the details would carry up the facade with a Neo Deco crown. I'm hoping in real life it doesn't turn out as simple looking as it appears in the overall renders. Either way super excited for the height on this one.
I suppose it'll contrast Hancock better, not to mention the sea of beige. It's a worthy icebreaker.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Seems like a win-win. A 4-lane Chicago bridge would greatly speed up bus traffic on one of the city's busiest bus lines. Down the road, it could even allow for bus lanes.
And considering the number of ambulances that get stuck on Chicago heading east, the move could conceivably save lives.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 9:59 PM

I remember no 9. Walton got started really quickly compared to other projects after it was approved. I'm wondering if that's just how JDL rolls and if this will be a quick start too.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 10:09 PM
The City

^ i don't recall if there will be for sale units or if this will all be rentals

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ i don't recall if there will be for sale units or if this will all be rentals
It's a mixture of condominiums and apartments. I don't know how the mix will be allocated between the towers. If they'll be sharing amenity and common spaces, they may mix the condos and rental between the two towers. My guess is the taller tower will be mostly (if not entirely) condos and the shorter tower mostly or entirely rental.

Since there is a for-sale component to this project, pre-sales will be required. It'll be interesting to see how they sell. Last I heard, Renelle was doing well with pre-sales. Much smaller building though. There really aren't many huge condo projects going up outside of Vista and Bennett Park, so it's difficult to find comparable units.

Still a some hurdles to jump, but I'd be excited if this project started construction before 2019.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 1:04 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
It's a mixture of condominiums and apartments. I don't know how the mix will be allocated between the towers. If they'll be sharing amenity and common spaces, they may mix the condos and rental between the two towers. My guess is the taller tower will be mostly (if not entirely) condos and the shorter tower mostly or entirely rental.

Since there is a for-sale component to this project, pre-sales will be required. It'll be interesting to see how they sell. Last I heard, Renelle was doing well with pre-sales. Much smaller building though. There really aren't many huge condo projects going up outside of Vista and Bennett Park, so it's difficult to find comparable units.

Still a some hurdles to jump, but I'd be excited if this project started construction before 2019.
I doubt many or any presales will be required since this is not even close to a 100% condo building. I'd be surprised if over 150 for sale condos will be offered. I'm betting mostly rental, plus you've got office and retail space.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post

There shouldn't be any presale requirements since I believe only 70 of the units will be condos. Unless the numbers have changed.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 1:46 AM

I know this a very vague question but what type of timline are we looking at if we already got approval from the alderman? I'm thinking a year before they break ground and start digging if everything keeps moving at the pace it is?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive