HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer
Agreed, this isn't that bad. I'm much more concerned about the global economy than the housing market correcting itself. Can't say I feel too bad for most people suffering a foreclosure now. If you can't afford, why'd you get it? On the contrary, I think the credit crunch could help condo sales by restricting loan amounts to condo prices.
Really? One of the tenants of the American dream is to own property. PREDATORY lenders convince people that never believed they could own a house that they could, and without too much pain. I'm sorry, it isn't any different than insurance companies selling worthless health care plans in low income black neighborhoods, or those 'credit card' protection agencies charging the elderly hundreds a year to provide insurance in case of fraud, with the exception of $50 per fraud, which most banks already protect. These subprime loans were sold to consumers, many without full disclosure, due to lack of regulation.

Major banks in America are sucking hundred of billions of dollars from the Fed to keep them from going under. Tens of BILLIONS of losses are being reported bank by bank by bank. This is a crisis people! It might not be as bad as other points in history, it might be worse, but it is affecting the overall economy. And many lower income people are being raped over because of it, losing their homes, possessions, and having their dreams ripped away. It makes me sick in America that these people, those that are already learning their lesson, are told to deal with it, and we cheer when the banks stick it to them? I guess the Bush administration did change America over the past several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer
On the contrary, I think the credit crunch could help condo sales by restricting loan amounts to condo prices.
Oh, and that's asinine. The Encore has been heavily marketed now for almost two years, and they've sold 12 condos. 3720 is opening late this year, and they haven't marketed one condo. Buildings are switching left and right to apartments because you couldn't sell a condo in Portland right now. I'm sure most developers would disagree with your observations.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Williams is completely ignoring the reason why people are renting to begin with: It is much cheaper than buying. If he is going to make rents so high that it will make financial sense to buy, then his rentals will sit just as empty as his condos. Going rental is only going to help developers if they can actually get renters.
He's not ignoring anything. He's not "making" rents high. They have to be.

The rents will be set based on what the loan to build it costs them every month in a commercial mortgage. The carrying costs of a 40 million dollar note are expensive, to say the least. Otherwise they'll go broke REALLY fast.

Development work is extremely risky, financially. Huge sums of capital are outlaid before nary a dollar is earned.

That said, It's gonna be tough to fill any new concrete building with full price renters. I suspect the Wyatt's new owners are learning that right now.

The stickframe (wood or metal) stuff will be easier to cover the delta.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 7:12 PM

I live next to a sales rep for 937 and I made the assuming statement that sales must be slow and he corrected me. He said the building is selling well.
so take it for what its worth...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonpdx View Post
I live next to a sales rep for 937 and I made the assuming statement that sales must be slow and he corrected me. He said the building is selling well.
937 got a good head start on sales. They are in better shape than many of the others.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
What I am getting at...and I agree with most of your points, Mark...is that a lot of construction has been going on the last few years in Portland. It seems as if people sometime get "negative/disheartened" when they don't see cranes rising; towers announced or rising; condo's sitting empty or being converted to apartments. I agree there probably was an overbuild (high end condo's, etc.) but I remember just a few years ago there weren't any condo towers in Portland, to speak of. So much has been built in Portland the last 10 years. Things are going through a down cycle....which might prove to be beneficial....especially when the market changes again we might get more towers/housing that have a newer variety of style/designs and than design and materials being utilized today... I apologize that my post, in itself, was negative.
You think thats bad, your lucky. Look at Miami and Las Vegas; there are reports that the markets there won't rebound for YEARS...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrG View Post
He's not ignoring anything. He's not "making" rents high. They have to be.

The rents will be set based on what the loan to build it costs them every month in a commercial mortgage. The carrying costs of a 40 million dollar note are expensive, to say the least. Otherwise they'll go broke REALLY fast.

That said, It's gonna be tough to fill any new concrete building with full price renters. I suspect the Wyatt's new owners are learning that right now.
I think we're arguing over semantics here. I know he'd like to set rents high enough to cover his costs. But as you point out yourself, it will be tough to convince people to spend that much money on rent. Less expensive alternatives for similar quality are readily available.

If he sets rents high enough so that it makes sense for a renter to buy, as he states he will, then his rentals won't be filled and he's not going to cover his costs anyway. Ultimately, the market, not the cost, dictates the price.

Last edited by Leo; Apr 9, 2008 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonpdx View Post
Sales reps at the John Ross and the Civic could've made similar claims during their construction phase. The fact that the 937 is the only project that did not release numbers for this article does not inspire confidence.

It's a very polarizing design. Personally, I find it pretty ugly on the outside, but I love the concept drawings of the interior.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 3:48 PM

Renting vs Buying

Owning your own home is of course "the American Dream", but as a purely economic decision it isn't necessarily the best way to go. Don't get me wrong - I own my house and I like it. But most people in Europe are renters (I know we aren't Europeans, but life there ain't bad). As in other economic cycles, some actions (like planning and building new developments) have long lag times, others actions (like deciding to rent vs buy) are nearly instantaneous. It's just a fact of life, and I have to assume that experienced developers like Williams know this, will weather the tough times, and be ready for the good times to come. Which they will.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Sales reps at the John Ross and the Civic could've made similar claims during their construction phase. The fact that the 937 is the only project that did not release numbers for this article does not inspire confidence.

It's a very polarizing design. Personally, I find it pretty ugly on the outside, but I love the concept drawings of the interior.

937's units are very cool. I've been through the building top to bottom. The windows are HUGE, btw.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 7:31 PM

Quote:
I think we're arguing over semantics here. I know he'd like to set rents high enough to cover his costs. But as you point out yourself, it will be tough to convince people to spend that much money on rent. Less expensive alternatives for similar quality are readily available.

If he sets rents high enough so that it makes sense for a renter to buy, as he states he will, then his rentals won't be filled and he's not going to cover his costs anyway. Ultimately, the market, not the cost, dictates the price.
Well obviously true. I certianly wouldn't argue otherwise.

It's on these leasing and marketing efforts of the property management firm to get the renters in at the rates they need to cover. Free months, parking, etc. Whatever it takes.

All in all it's on WDD and Reliance to carry the mortgage by any means possible.

A new, concrete building will not be cheap to rent in, period. A buck 70 a square foot at least. Maybe more.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Every other house appears to be in foreclosure.
This statement appears to be exaggerated/conjecture. How does one know which/how many homes are in foreclosure? If it's from the real estate listings, I've noticed a handful in my area (out of tens of thousands of homes). Am I missing something? This is hardly a crisis despite the news media's attempt to make it out to be.

Anyway, the market will correct itself and we'll be on to another "crisis". Gotta love our media..

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 10:05 PM

Case-Shiller Report: PDX Home Price Depreciation Accelerated in February

“The S&P Case/Shiller Home Price Index, which tracks 20 of the largest housing markets, showed prices plummeting by 12.7% in the 12 months ending February. That's the biggest fall since the index began tracking prices in 2000.

“The 10-city Case/Shiller index is down 13.6% year-over-year, the biggest drop since its launch in 1987.

“Prices in the Las Vegas metro area have plunged more than any other city, down 22.8% over the 12 months through February. Miami prices plummeted 21.7%. In Phoenix, they've fallen 20.8%.

“Other metro areas recorded only modest price declines, including Portland, Ore., down 2.0%, Seattle, off 2.7% and Dallas, 4.1%. In the nation's largest city, New York, metro area prices dropped a modest 6.6%. “

http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/29/real...ion=2008042914

2% annual depreciation is still “less bad” than Las Vegas, Miami, and Phoenix, although past descriptions of the PDX market as “robust” or “supported by strong fundamentals” were clearly misguided. The unrealistic hope that appreciation would simply return to historical values and that depreciation could never happen in PDX due to the UGB, population growth, baby boomers, retirees, etc. is clearly debunked.

Some interesting graphs are linked below.

PDX appreciation has dropped every single month since April 2006, although it has crossed into negative territory (depreciation) only since January:
http://bp0.blogger.com/_1J3jBnbSjmU/...an_Apr2908.jpg

PDX median price has fallen back to the June 2006 value:
http://bp1.blogger.com/_1J3jBnbSjmU/...ce_Apr2908.jpg
(This graph really demonstrates how wildly PDX has deviated from its historical baseline)

The shape of the PDX appreciation trend looks almost hairsplittingly identical to the trend of the SF Bay Area, except that it occurs later. It looks like the multitude of differences between the SF Bay Area and PDX doesn’t really cause their real estate markets to behave differently:
http://bp0.blogger.com/_1J3jBnbSjmU/...ty_Apr2908.jpg
Particularly interesting is the “kink” in the trend for both cities (around Sep07 in SF and around Dec07 in PDX) at which depreciation accelerated rather sharply in both cities.

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 8:40 PM

Oregonian: Portland Median Home Prices Down 9% from Peak

“The Portland area saw its median home price drop 3.5 percent in April compared with April 2007 -- the biggest such decline since at least 2001.

“Portland's home prices have followed a weakening trend since peaking last August at $302,000. Since that peak, the region's median has fallen 9 percent.

“The Portland area saw the number of closed sales fall 39 percent in April, compared with the same month in 2007.”

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/o...010.xml&coll=7

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 10:09 PM

^There was some positive news in the article too. Would be nice if people who post articles, post the whole thing. Then highlight the parts they think are significant. Just a thought, seems like you never miss a beat when it comes to negative housing news???

like this:

Portland-area median home price down 3.5 percent
April's year-over-year decline is the area's first in the current housing slowdown and the biggest since 2001
Friday, May 16, 2008
RYAN FRANK
The Oregonian

With buyers still wary, the Portland area saw its median home price drop 3.5 percent in April compared with April 2007 -- the biggest such decline since at least 2001.

The median price for new and existing homes was $275,000 in April, compared with $285,000 a year earlier, according to the monthly report published by the Regional Multiple Listing Service. The year-over-year decline was the first reported by the listing service in the current housing slowdown.

"That's not startling or surprising," said Jerry Johnson, a Portland housing economist. "That's not a disaster scenario, but it's not good."

Portland's home prices have followed a weakening trend since peaking last August at $302,000. Since that peak, the region's median has fallen 9 percent.

Even so, Portland, Seattle and Charlotte, N.C., remain hubs of the country's strongest real estate markets. Portland's mild troubles are nothing compared with painful housing downturns rolling through parts of Arizona, California, Florida and Michigan.

The Portland area saw the number of closed sales fall 39 percent in April, compared with the same month in 2007. The inventory of unsold homes rose -- typical for the season -- to 10 months for Clackamas, Columbia, Multnomah, Washington and Yamhill counties.

One bright spot: The spring buying season brought an increase in pending sales for the fourth straight month -- a potential signal of the market's future heading.

The housing market continues to be worse in Clark County. The once-fast-growing county suffers from an oversupply of new homes. Clark County home prices fell 5.7 percent in April to $250,000, down from $265,000 last April. The inventory of unsold homes was 12 months.

Declining prices don't mean much to homeowners who have no plans of selling or who bought years ago and have built thousands of dollars in equity. The people who are in most financial danger bought homes during the market's peak years of 2006 or 2007 with little or no down payment.

On the other hand, the continued slowdown provides opportunities. Johnson said he's hearing from out-of-town investors looking for deals. "Market adjustments are great buying opportunities if you happen to be in the position to buy," Johnson said.

But a lack of buyers across the market is part of the problem, said Kathy MacNaughton, a principal broker at Realty Trust in Portland.

MacNaughton cited three factors dampening buyers' enthusiasm:

Buyers find themselves ineligible for mortgages under lenders' new tighter credit and income standards.

They worry that prices will continue to fall.

They fear they won't be able to sell their current homes.

"This has really become apparent in the last 60 days," MacNaughton said. "There's not enough buyers out there."

To read the report, visit blog.oregonlive.com/frontporch. Ryan Frank: 503-221-8519; ryanfrank@news.oregonian.com.
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/o...010.xml&coll=7

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
^There was some positive news in the article too. Would be nice if people who post articles, post the whole thing. Then highlight the parts they think are significant. Just a thought, seems like you never miss a beat when it comes to negative housing news???
Sorry; didn't mean to deceive anyone. I just quoted the parts that were interesting to me and then provided a link so that anyone could read the whole story if they wanted to...

Much of the positive news is commonplace NAR spin that I assumed everyone hears all the time. For example, pending sales ALWAYS show consistent increases in spring, so the only signal here is that the market is heading from winter to summer. In particular, pending sales in Spring 2007 also increased consistently, so if there is a trend, it implies that 2008 won't be any better than 2007 (maybe a little worse, since the increase is a little smaller). See RMLS report at http://www.rmlsweb.com/temp%2Fdocume...ril%202008.pdf

And yes, inventory increases are seasonal, but last Jan-April, inventory rose from 10,000 to 13,000 while this Jan-April, inventory rose from 13,000 to 16,000. So while the amount of increase is similar to last year, the overall inventory level is increasing significantly from year-to year. It's a little deceptive to point out that the amount of increase is typical, while ignoring the fact that inventory has increased by ~25% per year over the last two years.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_oV8ecn5wrfg/...+Inventory.jpg

That was actually a little more interesting than I thought. So maybe I will spend more time on the "positive" news next time ...

I actually think declining prices are *very* positive news. The sooner Portland gets done with this bubble nonsense the better. I would like Portland to grow in a sustainable, "organic" manner, and this real estate bubble didn't help.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 9:55 PM

Case-Shiller Index for March: Portland Depreciation Accelerates

http://blog.oregonlive.com/frontporc..._still_no.html

“Portland-area home prices dipped further in March, registering a 4 percent year-over-year decline, according in to the Case-Shiller index.”

The price drops are clearly accelerating:
Jan 2008: -0.5%
Feb 2008: -2.0%
Mar 2008: -4.0%

Surprisingly, this is pretty consistent with the RLMS decline reported for April. I say “surprisingly” because the Case-Shiller Index uses a much more rigorous data set than RLMS. But then again, the C-S number is for March, while the RLMS number is for April.

“That said, the Portland region continues to outperform the rest of the country. Of the 20 biggest metro markets, Portland had the third-best performance.”

“Third-best” is spinning data just a little too hard for my taste. “Third least bad” would be more sensible. If your salary was cut by 4%, you wouldn’t walk around bragging that you got the third-best raise.

“The Case-Shiller index for Portland peaked in July 2007 and home prices are already down 6.5 percent from that level. (The Case-Shiller figures are an index based on 2000 prices. So the index doesn't really compare to actual prices.”

The last sentence is a bit misleading. The Case-shiller index is not BASED on 2000 prices; it is normalized so that the index is set to 100 for the year 2000. It certainly does “compare to” actual prices.

Here is an interesting graph showing the similarity between the downward trend for Portland vs. the SF Bay area and the 20-city index:
http://bp2.blogger.com/_1J3jBnbSjmU/...CS_March08.jpg

The complete Case-Shiller report can be found here:
http://www2.standardandpoors.com/spf...ase_052703.pdf

And the actual data can be downloaded here:
http://www2.standardandpoors.com/por...0,0,0,0,0.html

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 11:28 PM

Last edited by PacificNW; May 29, 2008 at 1:15 AM.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 12:17 AM

Who is the current and future target audience for surplus units

Who are the targeted audiences for the abundance of condos that will soon be available. You may not appreciate this if 1. you are busy doing well financially 2. your compensation is at stake 3. or you live under a rock and don't read newspapers or have contact with multiple groups of people When I worked as a consultant in the Bay my coworkers would inquire if I had purchased a home in the area yet. I rented a second place and lived there during the week and would fly home for the weekends. Inside I would laugh and think about how out of touch they were. At that time a two to three bedroom home in outlying areas would cost you around 800k (unless you were willing to move to a bad neighborhood) You could buy an older condo in San Jose for about 500k or a newer condo in Los Gatos for about 750k. I would politely respond no, and engage them in some other topic because I didn't want to open Pandora's box. It wouldn't be professional. When I spoke with other consultants who were green, they thought I was crazy if I pursued work that possibly compensated less in exchange for potential less risk.

Condos
The sales people will know who are the current best target groups. Warmer climates such as Arizona and Palm Desert are seeing more Canadians as their currency continues to grow relative to the dollar. (Relatives involved in sales process) Older couples with children in Portland might buy an additional home to spend time with their family during the summer months. A cash investor from LA or New York may buy a unit as an investment, but they may be more interested in purchasing homes from individuals.

Apartments
You can sell the building to a real estate investor in a market that is accustomed to successfully fetching higher rents such as the Bay area in California. People who have substantial income, but are wary of purchasing due to an expected short stay or fickle employment may commit to a higher priced rental.
It is much easier to hold on to a lease that was too much of a commitment if you know that it will only be for a year.

Which target audience next and where next
Individual Europeans or Asians that are more affluent may start to see real estate as a real bargain second or third home. How many of those people are out there even if you actively market to them. I don't think you will see much price elasticity below $1000 per mos in the future. People will slowly change their expectations once they use up their available credit and become fully encumbered. The dollar is continuing to decline as long as we continue the current fiscal path. Credit will become more expensive. Who knows what will happen to fuel costs. If you look at supply chains you know that everything is very dependent upon fuel costs and transportation. Companies are not continuing to absorb those costs.

Early 2000s set us up for a harder fall
I think that current developers and investors will divest if it is painless or continue in the same manner until they feel some significant pain and some reap failure. Any changes they make will probably not be enough until it is too late. Investment banks, mortgage brokers, central bank board members, and others in the chain of fees for service without liability or accountability hung themselves without enough regulation and lowering of interest rates that further set the market up for where it is now. Portland definately did not see the speculation that Florida, NY, saw. I feel that their wealth creation is our encumberance. Housing is one of the biggest items you pay for unless you have been sitting in your abode since 1993.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 4:57 PM

Leo, post the story...then tear it apart later in the post or in another post after. Posting a link and then ripping into something both leaves the rest of us without the context of what the heck you are talking about, it also shows that there is some bias on your end to see the market tank being you again select the pieces that are of interest to you, usually pieced together to show a 'dire' housing situation. I'm all for you stating your opinions, and pulling the 'facts' together to suit your point, but not posting the story is weird.

PDX prices fall again; still No. 3
Posted by Ryan Frank, The Oregonian May 27, 2008 07:37AM
Categories: Housing economy

Portland-area home prices dipped further in March, registering a 4 percent year-over-year decline, according in to the Case-Shiller index.

That said, the Portland region continues to outperform the rest of the country. Of the 20 biggest metro markets, Portland had the third-best performance. Somehow, Charlotte remained in the black with a .8 percent increase. Dallas saw a bit of price growth from February to March and surpassed Portland for the No. 2 position. Seattle trails Portland at 4.4 percent.

For Portland, the index brings more of the same. Both the local RMLS stats and the Case-Shiller index have been showing the same trends since late last summer. Prices have been consistently edging down since about August. In April, the RMLS report for new and existing homes showed a 3.5 percent year-over-year decline. Who knows where it will end up but my guess based on talking to people in the industry would be between 7 and 10 percent sometime this summer.

Nationally, the market still stinks. The national index for the first quarter and the 10-city and 20-city composites all set new records for 20-year-old index. The national index is off 14 percent in the first quarter of 2008 compared to the same period in 2007. During the 1990-91 housing recession, the national index bottomed out with a 2.8 percent annual decline.

Six of the 20 biggest markets are reporting at least a 20 percent year-over-year decline. The worst markets: Las Vegas (25.9 percent), Miami (24.6) and Phoenix (23). You'll notice that all three of those markets were speculators markets during the boom. The Rust Belt cities with the deep economic problems aren't as bad off. Detroit is down a lot but still just 18 percent.

UPDATE: I didn't have access to the historical figures from home when I wrote this morning. So here's another number to chew on: The Portland region is already 6.5 percent off its peak. The Case-Shiller index for Portland peaked in July 2007 and home prices are already down 6.5 percent from that level. (The Case-Shiller figures are an index based on 2000 prices. So the index doesn't really compare to actual prices. In March, the index was at 174.39. That's 74 percent above the 2000 baseline of 100 but 6.5 percent below the peak of 186.51)

The RMLS figures show the region is down 9 percent to $275,000 from the August 2007 peak of $302,000.

Sammy14: I'm not saying Portland didn't have speculators in the single-family or condo markets. Clearly, there were speculators in both. You're right, the condo market here got hit hard with investors and speculators. Some of those guys are now paying the price for mistiming the market. But what I'm saying is that the speculators in those Sun Belt markets were a bigger factor in driving up pricing than they were here. I could be proven wrong by the time this thing is over. The bigger issue here seems to be builders who forgot the market fundamentals and tried to build more housing than the market could support. (See Happy Valley and Clark County.) Those are huge factors in the oversupply in both places.

Sammy14: Sure, there were too many condos built for the market demand. Yes, some of that supply came because the PDC subsidized it. And yes, many of the downtown condos were built by Homer Williams or Mark Edlen. Outside of those deals, there was fraud and crazy financing. Yes, prices rose higher than underlying incomes could support.

I'd agree that the problem also involves price. But it's all connected. I've been covering real estate now for nine months. I started just as the mortgage market fell apart in August. But from what I've learned in just nine months, Portland's troubles boil down to this:

Builders saw bottomless demand from buyers and continued to build even as the market weakened starting in 2006. When the mortgage market stalled, it zapped the investors and the marginal borrowers out of the market. That left the builders and market will more condos and single family homes than the demand could support. The result: We're stuck with 10 months of inventory and slow sales rates. That oversupply has and will continue to drive down pricing.
http://blog.oregonlive.com/frontporc..._still_no.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 8:35 PM

Condo pipeline dries up

I’m going to be “weird” again and post a partial article. (The full article is four pages long, and you can find the link at the bottom). There are some sales stats on some of our favorite towers in the article, as well as some interesting facts about loans to the developers, but their accuracy may be suspect, since the article mentions Eliot Tower as being under construction.

The John Ross condominiums have sweeping views, an elegant shape that inspires architectural envy, and a whole lot of unsold units.

To date, just 177 of its 303 units have attracted buyers.

According to Multnomah County property records, a database that includes sale dates along with information about the property, buyers and prices, just two units have sold in 2008.

Public records portray the John Ross as a building that opened in a market flush with buyers, but which faltered in mid-2007 as newer buildings opened and the market slowed amidst housing concerns triggered by the subprime mortgage crisis.

It offers a telling example of why condominium developers are waiting for the market to improve before launching new projects, a situation that, ironically, could turn into a condo shortage in two to three years.

According to the Regional Multiple Listing Service, which tallies most though not all residential sales, there have been just 138 new units sold in the downtown area so far this year, far off the pace that led to a record 809 new condo sales in 2007. RMLS says 1,951 condos of all ages sold in 2007. In 2008, the figure is just 405.

At the John Ross, sales peaked at 40 in April 2007 and fell quickly to zero by November, according to county records.

Today, Portland has about 2,500 unsold condominiums, a figure that includes developers' inventories and another 1,000 "phantom units," which refers to condominiums bought by investors who intended to turn a quick profit and who apparently are holding out for the market to return.

Assuming Portland buyers have an appetite for 700 to 1,000 units a year, it will take nearly three years to clear out the current inventory.

The city of Miami, the poster city for condo development, has more than 25,000 unsold units, a six-year supply, according to its own Multiple Listing Service figures.

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...1643110&page=1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics