HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 12:18 PM
Density and complexity

Contrary to what this forum and do-nothings like Jim Malloway suggest, not all North-east Winnipeggers are a pack of sniveling insecure whiners.

I want six-lane freeways but I don't want truck traffic and more density. Ugh, River Heights has six lane freeways and no potholes, why don't I? Boo-hoo. Russ Wyatt should be canonized. When's the next buffet special at Royal Fork? Hope I can fit into my Dodge Durango afterwards in time for my nightly drag race through Point Douglas and downtown...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 2:51 PM

^ in a good mood today, eh RG?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 4:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
Contrary to what this forum and do-nothings like Jim Malloway suggest, not all North-east Winnipeggers are a pack of sniveling insecure whiners.

I want six-lane freeways but I don't want truck traffic and more density. Ugh, River Heights has six lane freeways and no potholes, why don't I? Boo-hoo. Russ Wyatt should be canonized. When's the next buffet special at Royal Fork? Hope I can fit into my Dodge Durango afterwards in time for my nightly drag race through Point Douglas and downtown...

True enough, not all of us living in NE Winnipeg are whiners, but building another four-lane bridge which hasn't been adequate for the past 25 years is a slap in the face to this part of the city. Survey after survey has shown that the majority of those living in this part of the city want a substantial improvement in traffic capacity for the new bridge.

The city of Saskatoon is planning a new bridge (South Circle Drive Bridge), this bridge will have six-lanes for an estimated 20,000 vehicles per day. The Disraeli on the other hand averages over 40,000 vehicles per day.

To expect people in this part of the city to use the existing two-lane clunkers (Redwood and Louise) for 16 months while the Disraeli is replaced is a joke.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
To expect people in this part of the city to use the existing two-lane clunkers (Redwood and Louise) for 16 months while the Disraeli is replaced is a joke.
That's the kicker right there. I don't think twin spans are necessarily warranted, but closing Disraeli Freeway for any length of time is unacceptable. The Louise Bridge is already over-utilized during the afternoon rush which means the Redwood Bridge will bear the brunt of Disraeli's traffic.

I like the idea of a separate bicycle pedestrian bridge though.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 2:41 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
True enough, not all of us living in NE Winnipeg are whiners, but building another four-lane bridge which hasn't been adequate for the past 25 years is a slap in the face to this part of the city. Survey after survey has shown that the majority of those living in this part of the city want a substantial improvement in traffic capacity for the new bridge.

The city of Saskatoon is planning a new bridge (South Circle Drive Bridge), this bridge will have six-lanes for an estimated 20,000 vehicles per day. The Disraeli on the other hand averages over 40,000 vehicles per day.

Hmmm...I would say that Saskatoon is over-doing it if they were to build it to six lanes right now. That seems unlikely to be honest.

I don't really know where this whole north/south divide has come from. Does the Disraeli need to be six lanes ? Probably but I certainly agree that 16 months is too long. The Louise and Redwood should probably be rebuilt first and at least one of them expanded to four lanes (the Louise I would think) However, I suppose that the Disraeli probably can't wait that long and there's no good reason to think that either of the other two bridges necessarily needs to be four lanes. Eventually the Louise will probably need that to handle capacity but for the time being it's really not too bad.

Anyway, as I've said before, I personally would go for a six lane twin span but only provided the extra two lanes are reserved for transit and/or HOV. I definitely agree that it's silly to build the bridge with only the next twenty years in mind. The bridge will have a lifespan of at least three times that duration after all.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 2:48 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the city would like to do the lious first but at this point its not realy an option as the disrealie has come to a point that it could have a deck failure... not mane beams just the deck its self... persay... like when a cars floor rots out...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 3:19 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Either way, Disraeli has to be replaced very soon. I don't trust that bridge and overpass one bit, whether I drive on it, or under it.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 3:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the bridge over the river is in better shape then the overpass is...

Last edited by 1ajs; Sep 24, 2008 at 3:47 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 4:49 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Hmmm...I would say that Saskatoon is over-doing it if they were to build it to six lanes right now. That seems unlikely to be honest.

I don't really know where this whole north/south divide has come from. Does the Disraeli need to be six lanes ? Probably but I certainly agree that 16 months is too long. The Louise and Redwood should probably be rebuilt first and at least one of them expanded to four lanes (the Louise I would think) However, I suppose that the Disraeli probably can't wait that long and there's no good reason to think that either of the other two bridges necessarily needs to be four lanes. Eventually the Louise will probably need that to handle capacity but for the time being it's really not too bad.

Anyway, as I've said before, I personally would go for a six lane twin span but only provided the extra two lanes are reserved for transit and/or HOV. I definitely agree that it's silly to build the bridge with only the next twenty years in mind. The bridge will have a lifespan of at least three times that duration after all.
I totally agree. Redwood and Louise should be upgraded to 2 lanes in each direction. Especially the Louise Bridge transit and heavy truck usage can be a bitch during rush times. Just build another bridge beside Louise for the other flow of traffic. Two decks for each direction. Get one of the two Bridges setup to handle heavy flow like a heavy flow maxi pad. Be prepaid when the time comes, when down goes the Little Green Monster.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 5:19 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

EPC approves Disraeli bridges
By: Bartley Kives

Updated: September 24 at 10:22 AM CDT | Winnipeg Free Press

City council's executive policy committee has approved a $140 million plan to reconstruct the Disraeli Freeway.

EPC voted five to one in favour of the plan, which calls for repairs to the existing single-span, four-lane bridge and the construction of a brand-new pedestrian/cyclist bridge to the east of the freeway.

Transcona Coun. Russ Wyatt voted against the plan, which now moves on to city council as a whole.

A decision is expected later today.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 2:33 AM

The latest proposal, including the possible location of the pedestrian bridge, is posted on the City of Winnipeg Public Works page.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/M...es/concept.asp

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 4:47 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgcityone View Post
The latest proposal, including the possible location of the pedestrian bridge, is posted on the City of Winnipeg Public Works page.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/M...es/concept.asp

I wonder where Brodbeck is now that this major expense is still on the table, even though the stadium proposal has been moved to the UofM.

I couldn't believe when the road/freeway and pedestrain bridges were somehow linked to the stadium propsal in order to inflate the government portion of the funding. Yet those bridges were going to be built weither the stadium went into the area or not.

Oh well ... I am sure developers will eventually move into Point Douglas regardless and the Bombers will more than likely get there new stadium.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 3:35 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

:o

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 1:35 PM

good thing Rg wasn't around when disraeli was first built .... might have ended up with a simple barge crossing two lanes each way made a lot of sense in the early sixties, what makes sense now?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 1:44 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the disrealie is still a hot issue with some people in pd.. yea its a mess but its handy as hell at times...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 3:16 AM
Youth of a Nation

Fast Facts

* The extra $100 million required for a six lane bridge is the equivalent of fully reconstructing 300 residential streets.

What area are these 300 streets in? lol

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 8:23 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
Fast Facts

* The extra $100 million required for a six lane bridge is the equivalent of fully reconstructing 300 residential streets.

What area are these 300 streets in? lol
good question these streets could be little st's like rex or beaconsfeild
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...09656&t=h&z=17

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 3:58 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
good question these streets could be little st's like rex or beaconsfeild
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...09656&t=h&z=17
I find that map interesting.

Prince Edward street used to be called King Edward before Unicity act of 72. When Greater Winnipeg was made into one large city some streets needed to be renamed to eliminate duplication.

Infact that street went from being King Edward Street to Edward Street then to now being Prince Edward Street.

Anyways parts of my family (Grandparents) grew up in the area.. and have told me of ther stories of the "old neighbourhood".

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 12:07 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I find that map interesting.

Prince Edward street used to be called King Edward before Unicity act of 72. When Greater Winnipeg was made into one large city some streets needed to be renamed to eliminate duplication.

Infact that street went from being King Edward Street to Edward Street then to now being Prince Edward Street.

Anyways parts of my family (Grandparents) grew up in the area.. and have told me of ther stories of the "old neighbourhood".
ask them about nedys quick lunch

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 12:08 AM

I was driving south over the Disraeli last nite at 11 or so and there was a fire truck and a few police cars blocking off one lane over the river, and some people looked like they were peering over the edge. I also saw people with flashlights walking down below. Wonder what happened...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan