HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 10:43 PM
Starring as himself

I'm pretty sure we've voted on the "Local" idea before. I can certainly remember some fairly intense discussions of the issue, at least.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 7:46 PM
ARTchitecture

I'm pretty sure with the intensified pace of construction and proposals in Winnipeg over the last year, that there should be a SSP local Winnipeg. Winnipeg has more going on than St. John's, and even they have their own page.

I also believe that Regina should too. Though I'm not a resident of Sask or Man, I still feel it is kind of odd that the Atlantic provinces have two SSP locals and the Man/Sask have none.

I know it has been mentioned that it would eliminate activity on the joint forum, but really? and even if it did, why is that an issue? There are tons of of joint pages of interest that see regular activity, and perhaps creating SSP locals would spur creation of more general prairie discussions.

Just some thoughts...

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 4:05 PM

I also Agree that Regina, Saskatoon and Winnipeg should all have their own.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 4:11 PM
BANNED

Winnipeg definately should have it's own SSP section. I would like to see a similar formate as Edmonton in the very least. It's fine if you want to lump the provinces together, but there is more than enough threads of interest to keep a Winnipeg section going. Winnipeg threads provides the most traffic in this section of the forum; I think it's worthy of it's own sub-section.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Winnipeg definately should have it's own SSP section. I would like to see a similar formate as Edmonton in the very least. It's fine if you want to lump the provinces together, but there is more than enough threads of interest to keep a Winnipeg section going. Winnipeg threads provides the most traffic in this section of the forum; I think it's worthy of it's own sub-section.
Yeah I agree. Even if it's just one section like Edmonton and St. Johns has.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 4:31 PM
surely you agree with me

we have this debate every 6 months....locals suck....it has killed this forum as everyone scurries into their own little corner...there is so little cross regional discussion....it used to be great before it was divided up...i knew everything happening in calgary and edmonton.....we had lots of discussion across all the prairie provinces.....now everything is navel gazing from the same people.

its far less interesting here today.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 5:47 PM
ARTchitecture

I suppose that is your own issue then? I do just fine keeping up with the haps in every corner of the country even though everything is divided up. It really doesn't take that much extra time to click the mouse a couple extra times to get to the city-sections.

The fact that someone who's never even been to Manitoba or Saskatchewan yet (Me) made this thread, and regularly checks up on and comments on threads here, should show that having different sections really doesn't change things. Just allows more city-centric discussions to be had. Like Calgary's "SSP Calgary Gay life" thread, I would love to see a thread like that for Winnipeg, as I have no idea what I'd do/where I'd go if I visited Winnipeg and wanted to check out the gay bars. Same with food, attractions, urbanity, lots of stuff.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 6:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
we have this debate every 6 months....locals suck....it has killed this forum as everyone scurries into their own little corner...there is so little cross regional discussion....it used to be great before it was divided up...i knew everything happening in calgary and edmonton.....we had lots of discussion across all the prairie provinces.....now everything is navel gazing from the same people.

Exactly, and don't even get me started on the Victoria SSP, blog, website or whatever it's supposed to be.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 6:22 PM

If anything this forum should go in the reverse direction... remove the reams of hyper-localized forums and subforums and put the focus back on the truly noteworthy projects of interest to larger audiences. I don't think I was ever better informed about what was going on in other cities than I was in my earlier years here, before the place got carved up as it has.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 9:23 PM
surely you agree with me

^ exactly.....i can remember when this was a prairie section and visiting calgary and edmonton knowing more about what was going on in those cities than my friends who lived there did.....the argument is always that people can go into those local forums if they want but the evidence has more than proven that they do not.....people stay in their own little corner....chadillaccc you are practically the only person who genuinely does surf the sections....i appreciate that you do, but you are very much the exception.

this question always seems to be started by someone not from manitoba or saskatchewan.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 10:55 PM
I am a typical

What prevents us from starting a "Winnipeg Gay Life" thread? 1ajs can tell us all about the underground bath houses and shit, it would be awesome.

Since SSP:Local Calgary, I have no idea what is going on there. I used to know lots about it but now I don't go, too many clicks away. I feel like things are less accessible than they were, because it's all too compartmentalized and it takes too much effort to get a big picture. I still follow the Winnipeg construction thread, but if it got broken up in a sub-sub-subsection I probably wouldn't anymore.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 11:37 PM
BANNED

I hear zero complaints from other forums about their own local sub-forums. They all appear to be active and I see lots of "out-of-towners" browsing them. The whole "traffic will die off" appears to be a localized myth, and the "now I don't know what is going on anywhere else" complaint appears to be lazyness from our own forumers who don't seem to want to be bothered to visit with others because threads are no longer at a single click of their mouse.

Once again, the "fear of change" mentality holds things back.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 12:41 AM

^Regardless, the majority seems to be pretty happy the way things are.

Didn't we take a poll last time that resulted in leaving things as is?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 2:28 AM

I think another poll should be done.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 2:38 AM
Heart of the Continent

I've always thought that Winnipeg should be on its own.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 3:09 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

It's odd that this forum doesn't have an email notification system for subscribed threads. Every other forum I know of that uses this software has that feature.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 7:17 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
What prevents us from starting a "Winnipeg Gay Life" thread?
Video Link

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 11:29 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

how did this thread get stickied?

anyhow we have had 2 votes in the last 12 months...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 11:35 PM
I am a typical

Should start a new poll. Some people may have changed their minds.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:15 PM

As a new poster but long time browser I don't want to get into a debate with long time users, or mods. of this forum. But I would like to say I've moderated,developed,designed layouts, websites for as long as I can remember.
I realize from a website moderators view it's all about page views,traffic, clicks, unique visitors vs. returning visitors and the most important...add views and clicks..etc...etc...
But..I find that a city the size of winnipeg with countless winnipeg only threads interspersed with, ie: the sask. election.. Food trucks... and intimate details for someone in sask. should be posted in a thread for it's residence and visitors.It's now too jumbled,mixed up to much.
Anyway I do agree that all issues are important in our respective provinces, but thier should be a SSP for winnipeg as thier should be one for Regina/Saskatoon.
This is just an opinion and not meant to offend long time users. It's purely a design problem with the forum/the way all 3 cities are lumped together. A vote as some suggest may be usefull, again I realize but what does it hurt? Thx.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan