HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 10:46 PM

haha I got a good chuckle out of that!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
... I'll have to speak with him about possible minor copyright infringements... otherwise, hilarious!!!!
It's a clear parody, allowable under copyright law.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudiger View Post
It's a clear parody, allowable under copyright law.
Yeah I know; the monorail bit was definitely one of the best moments of the Simpsons (when they were still really cleverly written).

Since Canalta is a highway motel chain, why not direct them to our burgeoning Headingley Highway strip, and add a nice new hotel with waterpark beside the motel 6? Or maybe south of St. Norbert? No need to scare 'em away from the region...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 11:23 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Yeah I know; the monorail bit was definitely one of the best moments of the Simpsons (when they were still really cleverly written).

Since Canalta is a highway motel chain, why not direct them to our burgeoning Headingley Highway strip, and add a nice new hotel with waterpark beside the motel 6? Or maybe south of St. Norbert? No need to scare 'em away from the region...
That's not a bad idea! Maybe then, Winnipeg Transit would have a reason to extend Route 82 for possibly peak hours to cover the businesse's

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
That's not a bad idea! Maybe then, Winnipeg Transit would have a reason to extend Route 82 for possibly peak hours to cover the businesse's
In that since it is no big deal, it is just another water park in the city on top of the half a dozen that we already have, in which case I would have to say... "Sure, why not."

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 11:50 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
In that since it is no big deal, it is just another water park in the city on top of the half a dozen that we already have, in which case I would have to say... "Sure, why not."
Anything to keep Canalta out of our urban core. And Fun Mountain must be fuming at these guys...

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Anything to keep Canalta out of our urban core. And Fun Mountain must be fuming at these guys...
I noticed a bit of smoke coming from the mountain this morning, but don't know if they were fuming or burning rubbish, same difference probably.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 7:29 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
I noticed a bit of smoke coming from the mountain this morning, but don't know if they were fuming or burning rubbish, same difference probably.
Maybe they're ridding themselves of the RV resort for expansion

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 11:39 AM

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Museum architect rips water park
Forks site 'destined for higher civic purpose,' he writes to mayor, council

By: Jen Skerritt

"The renowned designer of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights warns building an indoor water park next to an important cultural institution could turn the area into a "theme-park district."

Late Thursday, New Mexico architect Antoine Predock sent a letter to Mayor Sam Katz and members of city council to express serious reservations about a proposal to build a 50,000-square-foot water park, hotel and parkade on a gravel parking lot adjacent to the CMHR. The Free Press obtained a copy of the letter, in which Predock urged Katz not to let anyone build on the site without "spirited public debate.""

Full story: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...151088935.html

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 2:19 PM

The fact that people are insulting Antoine is upsetting. People may not like the museum, or the idea of the money spent. But the fact that he is a world renowned Architect who probably knows more about good and bad development and where it should and shouldn't go than the majority of the people in this city is completely ignored. They just insult him over the museum, and on top of that, completely ignore the fact that he wants the same as us.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 2:40 PM

Quote:
The fact that people are insulting Antoine is upsetting. People may not like the museum, or the idea of the money spent. But the fact that he is a world renowned Architect who probably knows more about good and bad development and where it should and shouldn't go than the majority of the people in this city is completely ignored. They just insult him over the museum, and on top of that, completely ignore the fact that he wants the same as us.
Did you expect anything else from the WFP comments section? I think it's sole use is for people to complain about whatever and whoever the story is about and bicker amongst themselves. The negativity of it all saddens me. I've stopped scrolling down past the story to the comments long ago. I'm better for it

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 3:04 PM

Yeah, that really is a good idea. I finally gave in when I got a -9 for saying that Balmoral and Notre Dame is not downtown. I believe you replied to that one. People ripped me a part for that comment.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 8:05 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Did you expect anything else from the WFP comments section? I think it's sole use is for people to complain about whatever and whoever the story is about and bicker amongst themselves. The negativity of it all saddens me. I've stopped scrolling down past the story to the comments long ago. I'm better for it
Sure sounds like Winnipeg Sun readers needing to bitch, doesn't it?

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that really is a good idea. I finally gave in when I got a -9 for saying that Balmoral and Notre Dame is not downtown. I believe you replied to that one. People ripped me a part for that comment.
Chris,

They're just getting you ready for public office. You are going to run, aren't you?

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
Chris,

They're just getting you ready for public office. You are going to run, aren't you?
I don't know if this is sarcasm, but I do think I can do it sometimes. Other times such as today on the Great Canadian Skyline Thread, I see my own immaturity slapping me right in the face. I might be a little young at the moment. But who knows, a lot can change in two years.

My biggest set back would be my lack of education. But I am not the only University drop out in the world, and that life choice sure didn't hinder Mr Gates or the many other successful dropouts from achieving their goals.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 9:54 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Museum architect rips water park
Forks site 'destined for higher civic purpose,' he writes to mayor, council

By: Jen Skerritt

"The renowned designer of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights warns building an indoor water park next to an important cultural institution could turn the area into a "theme-park district."

Late Thursday, New Mexico architect Antoine Predock sent a letter to Mayor Sam Katz and members of city council to express serious reservations about a proposal to build a 50,000-square-foot water park, hotel and parkade on a gravel parking lot adjacent to the CMHR. The Free Press obtained a copy of the letter, in which Predock urged Katz not to let anyone build on the site without "spirited public debate.""

Full story: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...151088935.html
I am very happy that he wrote this letter, and that he is so intense about the project and the site, and I actually never saw such a huge debate about a development in Winnipeg. It really seems that Winnipeg has embraced the museum and is now kind of this city's symbol... For some reasons Winnipeg seems kind of like the 2nd capital of Canada (the museum, the mint, etc.) and obviously means a lot to the country. The development of the Forks site should really aim to high civic purpose...

However, i am not very happy about Predock saying that the views of the museums should be left open... all the lots on the east side of main street will be filled at some point... i wonder what he thinks should go on that parcel?

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 9:58 PM

Well really no view is lost from the vantage point of the Parking lots. If developments are made that only brings more views of the museum, mind you to a limited number of the population.

The focal points are from the field to the south and from York/Waterfront to the west. So really the best views are not to be lost.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 2:05 AM

The actual letter can be found at the bottom of this article.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-winnipeg.html

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 5:24 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
I don't know if this is sarcasm, but I do think I can do it sometimes. Other times such as today on the Great Canadian Skyline Thread, I see my own immaturity slapping me right in the face. I might be a little young at the moment. But who knows, a lot can change in two years.

My biggest set back would be my lack of education. But I am not the only University drop out in the world, and that life choice sure didn't hinder Mr Gates or the many other successful dropouts from achieving their goals.
Vladimir Lenin and Josef Stalin did well without university!

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 3:30 PM
BANNED

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan