HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 7:07 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Quebec just made it a teeny tiny bit harder for investor immigrants to sneak into BC and Ontario through QC:

Quebec just made it a little harder for wealthy immigrants to walk through a back door into Vancouver and Toronto real estate...

...The program once required applicants to hold net assets of $1.6 million and make an interest-free investment of $800,000 that would be returned to them after five years.

Those requirements have been tweaked, according to the Gazette Officielle du Quebec, which announces new laws and regulations.

The Gazette states that applicants must now have net worth of $2 million and make an interest-free investment of $1.2 million — which is still returned to them five years later...

..In an email to Global News, he said applicants will likely be rejected if they have relatives outside Quebec, if they have a child attending a school outside the province and if they have owned any property in Canada outside la belle province.

“Plus, if you have travelled to Canada but not Quebec, the case is eyed with suspicion,” Kurland wrote.

“Quebec is clamping down on ‘intent to reside.'”

With changes like these in place, Kurland expected the “trampoline effect” from Quebec to B.C. and Ontario to reduce by adjusting “intake.”...

https://globalnews.ca/news/4116049/q...ogram-changes/
I'm glad they're at least looking at it as a problem, the optics appeared quite cynical at first. Hopefully with time they will fine tune the rules a bit more so that more of those immigrants stay in Quebec. Pauvre Vancouver et Toronto!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 8:26 PM
Calgary Martindale

I've concatenated and appended my previous posts.

Calgary CMA 2016
Population 1,374,650
Visible minority 34%

Calgary City 2016
Population 1,222,405
Visible minority 36%

Below was as far as I was able to drill down to my neighbourhood, NE Calgary. Very suburban and in the north, new, growing, and under development. Approximately 70% visible minority. This is the outlier, all other Calgary Federal electoral districts have a more even distribution.

Census Profile, 2016 Census
Calgary Skyview (Federal electoral district)

Visible minority population approximately 70%
Total - Visible minority for the population in private households
Population 135,110
Total visible Minority 93,910

South Asian 50,290
Chinese 5,220
Black 9,705
Filipino 13,040
Latin American 3,365
Arab 3,780
Southeast Asian 3,015
West Asian 2,535
Korean 230
Japanese 215

Not a visible
minority 41,200

Even though the southern boundary extends into the SE, it's considered to be in the NE.

Census Profile, 2016 Census
Calgary Forest Lawn [Federal electoral district]

Visible minority population approximately 53%
Total population 111,100
Total visible minority 58,640
South Asian 12,740
Chinese 4,655
Black 9,285
Filipino 11,000
Latin American 2,775
Arab 6,665
Southeast Asian 7,465
West Asian 1,295
Korean 75
Japanese 95
Not a visible minority 52,465

Calgary Nose Hill
Population 115,560
Visible minority 47%

Calgary Rocky Ridge
Population 130,415
Visible minority 39%

Calgary Signal Hill
Population 120,005
Visible minority 29%

Calgary Heritage
Population 110,965
Visible minority 27%

Calgary Centre
Population 115,495
Visible minority 25%

Calgary Shepard
Population 146,680
Visible minority 25%

Calgary Confederation
Population 117,160
Visible minority 24%

Calgary Midnapore
Population 119,920
Visible minority 22%

Last edited by Blader; Mar 31, 2018 at 8:57 PM. Reason: Addition

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 8:49 PM

People's perceptions on how diverse Calgary is have yet to catch up to the contemporary demographics etc. I still remember even while visiting earlier in the 2000s, I never thought of Calgary as that diverse, coming from the GTA, but now Calgary is pretty much as diverse according to the stats as Toronto was at the end of the 20th century or at the turn of the millenium.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader View Post
Calgary Midnapore
Population 119,920
Visible minority 22%
Hmmm... there's a neighbourhood in Calgary with a vaguely south Asian-sounding name?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 10:10 PM

Federal riding data can be found in the Census Profile:

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...dex.cfm?Lang=E

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 10:28 PM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Hmmm... there's a neighbourhood in Calgary with a vaguely south Asian-sounding name?
It never crossed my mind - when I moved to Calgary in 86 it was just outside the city and even had a couple of prairie grain elevators. Perhaps in the future replaced by a couple of ornate Hindu temples, and renamed Midnapour?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 10:40 PM

Some stats for my federal (and provincial) riding, University-Rosedale.

Household tenure:

Own 42.2%
Rent 57.8%

Dwellings:

5+ storey apartment 47%
Apartment with fewer than 5 stories 29.1%
Semi-detached/rowhouse/duplex apartment 14.7%
Detached house 8.3%

Income:

Average income $98,820
Average household income $170,832
Median household income $69,276

Education:

College or university 80.7%
University degree 67%
Post-graduate education 30.6%

Commute to work:

Public transit 36.2%
Walked 24.8%
Car 24%
Bicycle 10.8%

Immigration status:

Non-immigrants 60.4%
Immigrants 32.1%
Non-permanent residents 7.5%

Visible minority:

Total visible minority 32.7%
Chinese 14%
South Asian 4.5%
Black 2.5%
Korean 2.3%

Religion (2011 NHS):

No religious affiliation 40.7%
Catholic 22.7%
Protestant 19.1%
Jewish 7.1%
Muslim 3.4%
Buddhist 2.4%

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Immigration status:

Non-immigrants 60.4%
Immigrants 32.1%
Non-permanent residents 7.5%
These include eg. international students right?

I was wonder where in Canada had the highest % of non-permanent residents -- maybe either places with high % university students or resource extraction areas with lots of foreign workers?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 11:07 PM

Yes, not surprising to see such a high percentage in the riding that includes U of T.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 11:16 PM

I only recently realized that U of T (and actually quite a few Canadian schools) have high %'s international students living in the vicinity (while most locals commute to suburban areas).

In a city as diverse as Toronto, it's can be pretty hard to tell local diversity from international diversity and it seems many Torontonians tend to assume young foreign born = immigrant, rather than foreign student.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 11:35 PM

Does University-Rosedale have a high number of Americans still, relative to other places at least?

Despite the long history of Americans (during the Vietnam War era) living around that area, like the Annex etc. it doesn't appear that many American students study in Toronto these days, though there's still talk about another rise in numbers due to Trump.

For some reason, American students really love picking McGill, and studying in Montreal but not really Toronto.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 11:43 PM

Yes, 2% were born in the USA.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 11:47 PM

University-Rosedale also has the highest proportion with no religion and those holding university degrees of any Ontario riding.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
I was wonder where in Canada had the highest % of non-permanent residents -- maybe either places with high % university students or resource extraction areas with lots of foreign workers?
It seems like Canada has a pretty clear cut idea of an immigrant (who intends to be, or is on the path to become citizen if not already) vs. non-permanent resident, at least compared to most countries.

I'm following the controversy in the US over asking citizenship on their census and I'm shocked that something like citizenship isn't assumed to be something totally basic to be asked to start with.

I mean, on a government census of any country, I'd assume it's something you'd expect to be there.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 2:09 AM

Vancouver Quadra which contains UBC has 6.7% non-permanent residents.

The Montreal riding of Ville Marie has 10.8% non-permanent residents.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:51 PM

I can't help but note a contrast between Ontario and Quebec on two political stories that emerged this week.

In Quebec, a Muslim woman who wears a hijab--not a niqab or burka, just a headscarf--is running for office and she's been condemned by much of the media and political sphere for doing so and few have come to her defense.

In Ontario, a woman is running for office (seeking the PC Party nomination in a GTA riding) who five years ago posted a statement on her blog advocating for banning niqabs/burkas in public; while defending the use of hijabs and turbans, saying she supports the right of people to cover their hair whenever they want, just not face.

For this, this woman is being eviscerated. The other parties and virtually of the media have massively condemned her and are resolutely saying she has no place in politics and there's been immense pressure on the PC Party to disqualify her candidacy, and while Doug Ford refused to do so, he did issue a statement condemning her opinions.

In Ontario, even the most nationalist-populist party, led by one of the most populist leaders its ever had, is condemning the very suggestion that niqabs should be banned in public, even if that suggestion is heavily qualified with support for hijabs and other less dramatic forms of religious wear. In Quebec, such bans are heavily supported by pretty much everyone and merely wearing a hijab gets you near universal condemnation.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:53 PM

She is going to have a hard time winning Mississauga Centre which has a large Muslim population.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:55 PM

Yeah. The riding this woman is running in is 70% visible minority, 60% immigrant, and 20% Muslim. She doesn't stand a chance.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 4:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I can't help but note a contrast between Ontario and Quebec on two political stories that emerged this week.

In Quebec, a Muslim woman who wears a hijab--not a niqab or burka, just a headscarf--is running for office and she's been condemned by much of the media and political sphere for doing so and few have come to her defense.

In Ontario, a woman is running for office (seeking the PC Party nomination in a GTA riding) who five years ago posted a statement on her blog advocating for banning niqabs/burkas in public; while defending the use of hijabs and turbans, saying she supports the right of people to cover their hair whenever they want, just not face.

For this, this woman is being eviscerated. The other parties and virtually of the media have massively condemned her and are resolutely saying she has no place in politics and there's been immense pressure on the PC Party to disqualify her candidacy, and while Doug Ford refused to do so, he did issue a statement condemning her opinions.

In Ontario, even the most nationalist-populist party, led by one of the most populist leaders its ever had, is condemning the very suggestion that niqabs should be banned in public, even if that suggestion is heavily qualified with support for hijabs and other less dramatic forms of religious wear. In Quebec, such bans are heavily supported by pretty much everyone and merely wearing a hijab gets you near universal condemnation.
With all due respect I think you are missing the big picture here.

The views of what's "conservative" vs. "liberal" inside and outside of Quebec tend to be quite different when it comes to certain matters, which often leads to a lot of judgemental misunderstandings.

Quebec is for example the only place in Canada-U.S.A. where, for better or for worse, a huge chunk of the population thinks that being opposed to religiously-inspired/imposed face veils makes them "leftist", "liberal" and "progressive", and a paragon of women's rights to boot!

(Stuff such as this is likely due to the influence of France/Europe on our political and societal discourse.)

Most of the people in the media/public sphere who reacted less than enthusiastically to the candidacy of Ève Torres (the lady with the hijab) in Montreal happen to be feminists who support gay rights, abortion rights, and a host of other social justice causes to the hilt. Precisely the type of people I referred to in my third paragraph.

Tanya Granic Allen (Mississauga Centre?) OTOH is a right wing social conservative clean across the board: no Muslim face veils, but no sex ed in public schools either, and not too keen on gay rights or free access to abortion either.

See the difference?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 4:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

And even so, there is still a bit of push and pull on these issues here in Quebec.

Neither the mayors of Montreal (diverse) or Quebec City (non-diverse) were thrilled with Bill 62 on face coverings/public services. Though I can't recall if it was for moral or logistical reasons, or a mix of both.

And just a few days ago the fairly new mayor of Montreal Valérie Plante indicated that she was open to her police department coming up with plans to allow religious garb on officers: like hijabs and turbans.

Not sure how far this will get but she got little support that I heard.

I am sure some Montrealers do agree with this but I am unsure if she would have been elected last fall had this become a hot-button election issue.

Montreal isn't really like Toronto or Vancouver (or even Calgary or Ottawa) when it comes to these issues.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada