HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 7:18 AM

Retrospective on 1993 NDP Planning: "TRANSPORT 2021" Well, its 2021...

We all bemoan how many reports and studies and plans and manifestos and whatnot that get produced over the years. I recalled this "Transport 2021" plan from long ago when I first started surface the then nascent interweb (with Netscape Navigator!) for information on potential new transportation projects in Greater Vancouver (I was 12 when this report was completed in 1993!)

http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/...-Vancouver.pdf

Lots of emphasis was already being put on planning to switch transportation modes to transit, increasing density in town centres, congestion tolls, and encouraging improved HOV and goods movement.

Its fun to look at the maps; notably the marking of the "Inter-regional connection" between Twassessen and Maple Ridge via (what looks like) the Serpentine Corridor.

So how is Transportation in Greater Vancouver actually *doing* compared to the master-planning back in 1993 for that far-away date of 2021?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 8:12 AM

They were right on the money about Burnaby and Surrey; Maple Ridge, not so much.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 11:15 AM

Very interesting (or sad) how even in 1993 they expected the Broadway Subway to terminate at Arbutus!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Very interesting (or sad) how even in 1993 they expected the Broadway Subway to terminate at Arbutus!
Perhaps, at the time of writing, the projected population densities of UBC and the Broadway Corridor weren' there, or else a line to UBC was simply too $$$ "off-the-charts."

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Perhaps, at the time of writing, the projected population densities of UBC and the Broadway Corridor weren' there, or else a line to UBC was simply too $$$ "off-the-charts."
I think that the U-Pass program has driven a lot of transit ridership that just wasn't there in the 90's. One of the great things about that program is that it instills a transit habit that often carries into post-university life, something that I think helps to contribute to Vancouver's growing ridership.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 6:41 PM

If you go back to the 50-60s the plans are actually almost identical in terms of master planning.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 5:52 AM

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 11:32 PM

Lol I remember going to the library and reading this document. It was in the reference section and not allowed to be taken out. I would spend hours reading about transportation plans.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure