HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 1:53 PM

Vesalainen will head back to Europe for this season if he's not on the Jets.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Is he eligible to play for the moose or would he either have to play in Junior or go back to Europe? I think he's too young to play in the AHL.
He's 19 years old 6' 4'', a first round pick, and just finished playing pro in Finland and winning a championship, and he's not old enough to play in the AHL???

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
He has that option. That doesn't prevent him from playing with the Moose.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
He's 19 years old 6' 4'', a first round pick, and just finished playing pro in Finland and winning a championship, and he's not old enough to play in the AHL???
I think you have to be 20 to play in the AHL, which is why Morissey and Sheif had to go back to junior two years in a row. It has nothing to do with size or skill.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 3:34 PM

Quote:
I think you have to be 20 to play in the AHL, which is why Morissey and Sheif had to go back to junior two years in a row. It has nothing to do with size or skill.
You should check your facts before commenting.

Any player at least twenty-six (26) years of age (by Sept. 15 of that season) is not considered a rookie. What is the minimum age for an AHL player? Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 3:45 PM

It sounds like you are right about Vaselainen specifically but here is something you should read up on. It's an agreement between the NHL and CHL.

The NHL/CHL agreement states that a player with junior eligibility signed by an NHL team must be returned to his junior team if he's not playing in the NHL. It's part of a deal that provides CHL money for players produced (sort of like the IIHF agreement between the NHL and European countries). The NHL agrees to send the teenagers back because CHL needs these players - its top players -- to make money. If the CHL didn't make money, they couldn't produce players. You scratch my back, I scratch yours.

Specifically, the rule says that if a player played in junior before they were drafted by the NHL, then they have to either be 20 years old by Dec. 31 OR have played four years of junior in order to play in the minors . That second condition rarely comes into effect. It would only apply to players who began in the CHL at age 15.

Players who are not drafted from the CHL, like NCAA and European players, aren't held to these rules. Players who were drafted out of Europe and then play in the CHL later, can play in the minors under the age of 20. European players drafted out of the CHL are held to it. Nationality is not part of the equation -- it's where you were drafted from (which league developed you).

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 1:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
He has the option to, but will likely remain with the Moose.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 1:36 PM

Will he though? Sounds like it's up to the player and not the Jets.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Will he though? Sounds like it's up to the player and not the Jets.
Though if he goes to the mouse he is able to be called up to the show. He doesn't have that ability if he goes back to Europe.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 2:07 PM

For clarity, I agree it would be best for him to join the Moose. Just from all the talk about it, seems like he wants to go back to Europe.

I've been waiting for Chevy to make one of his famous depth signings. But that hasn't happened yet. So seems there will be ample opportunity once again for the young guys to get a roster spot. Factor in injuries and it would seem Ves would get into the NHL line-up at some point.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 5:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
You should check your facts before commenting.

Any player at least twenty-six (26) years of age (by Sept. 15 of that season) is not considered a rookie.
AKA....the "Makarov Rule."

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 7:31 AM

Winnipeg Jets Alternate Jersey Unveiling!!
While the Bombers stumble, bumble, and fumble through a 28th straight disappointing season (they really are the worst-run sports franchise on this Earth), it's nice to know that Jets season is right around the corner!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 1:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
Winnipeg Jets Alternate Jersey Unveiling!!
While the Bombers stumble, bumble, and fumble through a 28th straight disappointing season (they really are the worst-run sports franchise on this Earth), it's nice to know that Jets season is right around the corner!

Cleveland browns: "Hold my beer."

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:33 PM

Vesalainen wanted the out clause to play back home. I dont know if he'd play for the Moose rather than go home but I suppose its possible. Its a good move on his part because if the Jets feel he's borderline, they are more likely to keep him.

And now Wheeler at 5 year extension. $8.2+ million per year

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Vesalainen wanted the out clause to play back home. I dont know if he'd play for the Moose rather than go home but I suppose its possible. Its a good move on his part because if the Jets feel he's borderline, they are more likely to keep him.

And now Wheeler at 5 year extension. $8.2+ million per year
I think this deal is a little rich for my blood. How will we afford Laine's next contract? Wheeler will be a depreciating asset soon and a 8.25 cap hit when he's 37 will be tough to swallow.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:56 PM

Quote:
I think this deal is a little rich for my blood. How will we afford Laine's next contract? Wheeler will be a depreciating asset soon and a 8.25 cap hit when he's 37 will be tough to swallow.
Trade Perreault, lose Myers in free agency, sign Laine to 9.5 million per, Connor to 6 million per or bridge at 4.5 - 5 million per, replace Myers with Niku, Trouba(currently top pairing defenseman) probably traded for a top - 4 d-men earning in the 4 -5 million range with 1 or 2 years left on his contract plus a first round pick or blue chip prospect...Perreault probably replaced by Ves and the Jets probably go into 2019/20 with an $82 million team salary with a cap around 83 - 85 million.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Jets have $27 million in cap space next summer. Their key signings that have to be included in that is Josh (he needs to be signed for this season), Laine, Connor & Trouba. So thats doable.

That assumes they dont re-sign Myers who expires next summer. Kulikov expires the summer after and Roslo needs a deal then.

Really, they dont look bad. If they need to free cap space, its likely not a major piece they'd move. They seem to have managed their cap well.

If Trouba refuses to sign here, thats a big piece not counting and one they have to replace.

But Jets look ok. Assume the Cap goes up and its close to $30 million they have next season for 4 players.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Jets have $27 million in cap space next summer. Their key signings that have to be included in that is Josh (he needs to be signed for this season), Laine, Connor & Trouba. So thats doable.

That assumes they dont re-sign Myers who expires next summer. Kulikov expires the summer after and Roslo needs a deal then.

Really, they dont look bad. If they need to free cap space, its likely not a major piece they'd move. They seem to have managed their cap well.

If Trouba refuses to sign here, thats a big piece not counting and one they have to replace.

But Jets look ok. Assume the Cap goes up and its close to $30 million they have next season for 4 players.
You forgot about Andrew Copp and a Goalie, asuming everyone but Myers stays:

Trouba: 6.5
Connor: 5
Morissey: 5
Laine 9.5
Copp: 2
Goalie 1
Total: 29

Remember when Cap goes up so do salarys. A 6 million contract today is worth 6.5 in a cap goes up. That is a very tight target to hit.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 7:03 PM

and Tanev is signed till next year so you have to spend some money on his roster spot also. It might be doable but we're hoping for some pretty generous players to play for at or under what their worth.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:04 PM

Quote:
You forgot about Andrew Copp and a Goalie, asuming everyone but Myers stays:

Trouba: 6.5
Connor: 5
Morissey: 5
Laine 9.5
Copp: 2
Goalie 1
Total: 29

Remember when Cap goes up so do salarys. A 6 million contract today is worth 6.5 in a cap goes up. That is a very tight target to hit.
Copp is fairly minor at this point. And as they showed us this year, the back up goalie isnt going to be much. The $2 million and below players wont cause a big issue as we have plenty of them.

With your numbers even, Jets can manage the cap.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan