HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 5:50 PM

After 23 games last year the Jets were 14-6-3 (31 points), this year they are 13-8-2 (28 points). Keep in mind they have a game-in-hand on Minnesota, two on Nashville, Colorado and Chicago and three on Dallas.

The biggest surprise so far is the Sabres. Number one overall and 10-0 in their last ten.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 5:57 PM

Yup, still very early it ring the alarm bell.

Twitter is calling for PoMo to be fired, Hellebuyck's contract is the death of the Jets cup chances, why not bring back Pavs, free Niku (which I do agree with). It's just the frustration of the blown leads.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Yup, still very early it ring the alarm bell.

Twitter is calling for PoMo to be fired, Hellebuyck's contract is the death of the Jets cup chances, why not bring back Pavs, free Niku (which I do agree with). It's just the frustration of the blown leads.
WAY too early for that kind of talk.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
After 23 games last year the Jets were 14-6-3 (31 points), this year they are 13-8-2 (28 points). Keep in mind they have a game-in-hand on Minnesota, two on Nashville, Colorado and Chicago and three on Dallas.

The biggest surprise so far is the Sabres. Number one overall and 10-0 in their last ten.
Last year, there was a very convincing positive trend

This year, there's a very convincing negative trend that is not "alarm bell" worthy but its definitely worrisome. This team has not taken the step forward many were hoping or expecting.

Last year we only blew 3 third periods...the whole year...and I think that includes the playoffs lol.

We've almost doubled that already with 5 blown thirds.

Helle isn't playing as outstanding, but we also have a poor fourth line (last year we had four solid lines for the most part), we also had 3 solid D pairs (which we do not anymore, losing enstrom and kulikov has hit hard)....the offence is still firing but we can't keep scoring 5 or 6 goals a night, that is unsustainable

There are problems, and it just sucks that we've taken a few steps back in that regard

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 5:21 AM
There is always a way

It seems the bulk of the problems come from maybe a slight regression in hellebuycks play and some serious defensive issues.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 2:22 PM

^I think it's a combo of both. Defense is pretty bad. With the injuries, last night there was basically 4 AHL level defense in the game.

Thank goodness the offense is on fire.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:25 PM

^ Any realistic prospects of a trade to improve the Jets' defensive depth?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:01 PM

I don't know. Maybe a deadline rental. I think it's going to be an issue going forward in the next couple years. Will Trouba be retained? Morrissey will be paid.

Lots of big contracts on the forward side will be required. I could see us losing someone good upfront.. If we retain all the good forwards, we'll definitely lose someone from defense. Fortunately or unfortunately, Laine is not slowing down and will be paid close to $10M IMO. Connor will probably get something similar to Ehlers and Scheifele, if not slightly more due to the timing.

Niku will be good, but this year he's still young. Schilling looked like garbage last night. He's slow. Myers will be gone. So it'll be Buff, Morrissey, maybe Trouba, Niku. Poolman I guess. Getting pretty thin. Stanley will not be good. Honestly Enstrom filled a role and he is being missed. I wasn't the biggest fan of his, but he was serviceable.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:29 PM
There is always a way

^I thought Schilling looked fine. He's not expected to be an nhler anyways and I thought he flew under the radar and didnt make any significant mistakes. Niku has much higher expectations for his future and obviously an higher ceiling of performance, however he made a boneheaded decision last night which led directly to a goal against.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Honestly Enstrom filled a role and he is being missed. I wasn't the biggest fan of his, but he was serviceable.
Yeah, Enstrom was not exactly a fan favourite but the team seems worse off defensively without him. Reminds me a bit of Ron Hainsey who was a bit of a whipping boy for the fans in the team's first year or two back in Winnipeg, but who wouldn't take him back right about now?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I don't know. Maybe a deadline rental. I think it's going to be an issue going forward in the next couple years. Will Trouba be retained? Morrissey will be paid.

Lots of big contracts on the forward side will be required. I could see us losing someone good upfront.. If we retain all the good forwards, we'll definitely lose someone from defense. Fortunately or unfortunately, Laine is not slowing down and will be paid close to $10M IMO. Connor will probably get something similar to Ehlers and Scheifele, if not slightly more due to the timing.

Niku will be good, but this year he's still young. Schilling looked like garbage last night. He's slow. Myers will be gone. So it'll be Buff, Morrissey, maybe Trouba, Niku. Poolman I guess. Getting pretty thin. Stanley will not be good. Honestly Enstrom filled a role and he is being missed. I wasn't the biggest fan of his, but he was serviceable.
I haven't watched Stanley play at all but he leads the team in +/-. He might not get points but he appears to be keeping the puck out of the net. Something the moose seem to be struggling with.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 5:34 PM

I thought Schilling looked really slow. But ya, he's a plug for now. We'll see how today's game goes.

In other news, Copp is back in and Appleton makes the line-up. Petan and Lemieux are out.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 3:14 AM

Was at the Jets/Flames game last night. While the game did not go well, I did enjoy sitting in the loge seats for the first time. Nice comfortable chairs with great views. Things were a bit cramped side to side, however I don't know why some people would need to lean forward for a better view and block the view of those behind them. I'm not that tall and I could easily see the entire ice surface while sitting normally in my chair. My son is shorter and he commented that could see everything while leaning back in his chair.

It was definitely a welcome touch that the in-seat service had the same prices as the concourse. While more expensive than a fast food restaurant, they are a good deal compared to places like the Scotiabank Arena (formerly Air Canada Centre) where MLSE gouges you $20 for a roast beef sandwich.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 1:29 AM
BANNED

Jets lost 3-1 to the Wild today. The team's offense seems unusually snake-bitten, and failing to generate much offense. I hope this comes to pass. Buff looked injured, and may be out for some time.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 8:40 PM

Just putting this out for discussion. What do you think the Jets could get for Laine?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 9:46 PM

He's 20 years old. Where was Scheifele at that age? Falling down everywhere and being soft.

I give Laine time. The whole team right now isn't looking so hot. From his draft year, Matthews is the only one whos really doing anything special.

But yes, it is frustrating to watch him for sure.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 10:04 PM

Laine's problem is that he set the bar so high, any time he goes a week without a goal it's like the sky is falling. Give him time. And remember, he's going to be an RFA... the worst thing that could happen is for the fanbase to get so negative that he bails on Winnipeg, and resurfaces as a mega-sniper somewhere else.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 1:12 AM

Yeah, I don’t necessarily disagree, it was just in the context he is a streaky player that is poor defensively, but has lots of potential. There is also the cap issue. I’m thinking they could attract a really good player or two that might them over the top for a championship in return. Of course, now he’ll probably get a hat trick tonight.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 5:27 PM

Alas, he did not. Broissoit is amazing though. Goalie controversy?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 10:10 PM

^ Brossoit has been up against decidedly weaker competition with longer stretches of rest in between starts than Helle.

I'd be pretty interested in seeing how Brossoit fares against more top flight competition. It would be pretty sweet if the Jets didn't have to go all in on Helle from now until the end of the playoffs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan