HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 12:57 PM

Vincent Colizza Architects provided the original renderings of the building back in 2011 (I think?), so I tried to do a search to see if there were some updated renders that might coincide with these Trinity "renders", but I have yet to find anything.

But, I did stumble on a news article (PDF Format) from the Phoenix Homes website that talks about how the developer, back in September 2005, pitched a new building for this property that looks remarkably similar to the original renders but also included a new $150-million main library: http://phoenixhomes.ca/news/document...ber28-2005.pdf

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 4:23 PM

Well hot damn! This is the type of development we need around stations! And the enclosed promenade to the Station is precisely what the city should be looking for. The developers are willing to integrate their buildings into the stations to increase property value and make it more alluring. This had better be delivered!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
This is on Trinity's site - Spring 2018
http://www.trinity-group.com/propert...breton-flats)/

Looks like 3 towers now

lower floor

ground floor

second floor

Looking at the site plan, it looks like they will build over the Trillium Line tracks, but not necessarily encompass the station, as I am sure the City wants to keep the Trillium Bayview directly under the Confederation Bayview.

Anyway, love the height and love the elimination of surface parking. If we have at least one 50 floor office tower in their, it will definitely take the tallest title from Sky (Dow Honda site).

Hope the new designs are worthy of the site and height.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Anyway, love the height and love the elimination of surface parking. If we have at least one 50 floor office tower in their, it will definitely take the tallest title from Sky (Dow Honda site).

Hope the new designs are worthy of the site and height.
That white section below the two orange towers on the right of the render, is that not above-ground parking? There seems to be ramps on each of those 9 floors (like the base of the Mondrian?). I'd like it better if they buried the parking and use those 9 floors for office/retail/condo/hotel space. Regardless, I liked the previous version better (minus the surface parking).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
That white section below the two orange towers on the right of the render, is that not above-ground parking? There seems to be ramps on each of those 9 floors (like the base of the Mondrian?). I'd like it better if they buried the parking and use those 9 floors for office/retail/condo/hotel space. Regardless, I liked the previous version better (minus the surface parking).
Above ground parking, but not surface parking. Maybe the site doesn't allow for deep excavation for parking, though if your building a total of 140 floors in an area that is currently zoned for about half, you'd think that would cover the cost.

Anyway, as long as the ground floor is used for retail and/or entrances to the building, just like Mondrian and the Slater, I'm good.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
If I remember correctly, there are some major water pipes under this property close to Albert Street that they would have to move in order to build underground parking that spans the whole lot. That's why the previous proposal had so much parking and open space between Albert Street and the buildings. I guess they could put some parking underground though.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 12:44 PM

I live only a block over from this project, it will have a huge impact on the area.Looking forward to seeing some renderings.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 2:29 PM

Anybody know what the zoning is for this property?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 2:46 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
Anybody know what the zoning is for this property?
MC [1967] S291 S292H

MC is the Mixed Used Centre zone
http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/laws-l...ne-sec-191-192

1967 is the special exception zone
Quote:
- despite the property being located in Area B on Schedule A the minimum parking rates for Area A or those shown in column II of Table 101 apply to the lot with the exception of the rate for office which is: 0.2 spaces per 100 square metres of gross leasable floor area
- minimum interior side yard setback abutting a rapid transit corridor – no minimum
- minimum rear yard setback – no minimum
- maximum building heights as per Schedule 291
- maximum Gross Floor Area: 130 064 square metres
- Schedule 291 does not apply to accessory buildings or structures which continue to be regulated by Section 55
- despite the definition of average grade, average grade is to be calculated from the geodetic reference of 63.0 metres
- The following provisions dealing with a Section 37 authorization apply:
(i) the heights and density of development permitted in this By-law are permitted subject to compliance with all of the conditions set out in this By-law including the provision by the Owner of the lot of the facilities, services and matters set out in Section 1 of Part 19 of this by-law, to the City at the Owner's sole expense and in accordance with and subject to the agreement referred to in (ii) below
(ii) upon execution and registration of an agreement or agreements with the Owner of the lot pursuant to Section 37 of the Planning Act securing the provision of the facilities, services or matters set out in Section 1 of Part 19 of this by-law, the lot is subject to the provisions of this By-law. Building permit issuance with respect to the lot shall be dependent upon satisfaction of the provisions of this By-law and in the Section 37 Agreement relating to building permit issuance, including the provision of monetary payments and the provision of financial securities.
(iii) wherever in this By-law a provision is stated to be conditional upon the execution and registration of an agreement entered into with the City pursuant to Section 37 of the Planning Act, then once such agreement has been executed and registered, such conditional provisions shall continue to be effective notwithstanding any subsequent release or discharge of all or any part of such agreement.
- a holding symbol on land zoned MC[1967] S291, 292- h may only be removed upon:
(a) the execution of a site plan agreement that reflects the development concept as shown on Schedule 292 to the satisfaction of the General Manager, Planning and Growth Management Department. Any alternative concept will require amending technical studies to demonstrate the proposed form of development can be accommodated on site, including but not limited to a revised servicing study, transportation impact study, and urban design analysis.
(b) the approval of a servicing study which adequately addresses the existing servicing easements, including but not limited to the relocation of municipal services and easements to the satisfaction of the General Manager, Planning and Growth Management Department.
(c) the execution of an agreement pursuant to Section 37 of the Planning Act, to the satisfaction of the General Manager, Planning and Growth Management Department
http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/laws-l...ions-1901-2000

291 is the height

http://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/doc...hedule_291.pdf

292 is the concept plan
http://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/doc...hedule_292.pdf

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 10:43 PM
National Capital Region

http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ne...uary_sales.pdf

The most notable commercial land sale is located at 801 Albert Street. A 90% interest in the property was purchased by 801 Albert Street Inc. (Trinity Development) from 2024644 Ontario Inc. (Phoenix Homes) for $22,777,700 or $7,095,199/ acre $162.88/sf).

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 1:10 AM
Awesome!

Hope to see some activity there soon. This thread was created over 6 years ago. The LRT will certainly boost construction there along with the nearby projects on Scott, Parkdale and eventually closer to Pimisi Station.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 2:13 AM

Phoenix Homes seems like an odd buyer. Don't they mainly build homes and low rise condo buildings in the 'burbs.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 2:25 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post
Phoenix Homes seems like an odd buyer. Don't they mainly build homes and low rise condo buildings in the 'burbs.
Phoenix is the seller, Trinity is the buyer. This is from a report for sales in February which is when the new plan popped up on Trinity's website.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 3:45 AM

Oh my bad. That makes more sense.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 2:50 PM

I really like this project and I think it's a strong candidate for some really nice intensification, but is anybody else really turned off by the above ground parking? It seems like such a waste and very unsightly. It reminds me of the building at the corner of Bank and Laurier. Can you imagine a structure being built at the intersection of two major rail transit lines in Toronto — like at Bloor and Young — or in Montreal like this?

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 4:54 PM

I like that they've incorporated the O-Train into the development.

Far too often, mass transit is segregated (look at Kanata Centrum bus stop, or Lees Ave, or Blair...)

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 6:13 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
I really like this project and I think it's a strong candidate for some really nice intensification, but is anybody else really turned off by the above ground parking? It seems like such a waste and very unsightly. It reminds me of the building at the corner of Bank and Laurier. Can you imagine a structure being built at the intersection of two major rail transit lines in Toronto — like at Bloor and Young — or in Montreal like this?
The main reason is that there are water, sewer, and stormwater mains crossing the property.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 6:22 PM

Quote:
The main reason is that there are water, sewer, and stormwater mains crossing the property.

Ah, I understand. I presume it'd be cost-prohibitive to move/re-route them?

Shame. Such a prime chunk of land.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 6:35 PM

Quote:
If I recall correctly, the former Councillor gave the application and its proponents some withering looks. Surprise, surprise she wasn't ever contacted by the lobbyists.

http://ottwatch.ca/lobbying/search/801%20Albert

http://ottwatch.ca/lobbying/files/366

This application has gone through a lot of back and forth, proposals and counter proposals. I believe at one point it was going to be a location for the main branch of the library.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
Agreed... but it has been done tastefully... Trump Hotel in Toronto has 5 or 6 (or something... not sure exactly) floors of ABOVE ground parking, but you'd never know it from looking at the outside...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tr...89f0f0!6m1!1e1

Whether these folks will have a Trump style budget though...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa