HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Can't be CharcWart city without 60+ stories of vertical Charcoal brick!!
I would like to see them replace all windows with Charcoal brick as well. We want to be energy efficient after all and windows just dont make the cut..

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 5:15 PM
Mooderator

My kid is sorely interested in skyscrapers (don't know why) and he asked me, 'dad, will we ever have a big city like Hong Kong or NY'.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Can't be CharcWart city without 60+ stories of vertical Charcoal brick!!
Just as long as they benefit the children, and the children were thought of beforehand!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
My kid is sorely interested in skyscrapers (don't know why) and he asked me, 'dad, will we ever have a big city like Hong Kong or NY'.

We're about where NYC was in 1875, but with cars and sprawl.

And 50s Montreal and Toronto.

1986 Vancouver. Yup, more Vancouver 1986 than NYC, Montreal and Toronto in any era.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 8:41 PM

Don't think Ottawa will get to the point of Hong Kong or New York for 200 years lol. BUT, we can definitely get to 2000s Vancouver levels with Gatineau in about 18-20 years though. So...not bad?

They are projecting our metro area to be a bit over 2million in about 2040 (NCR combined). Can't wait to see what our city grows into in that timeframe, because this is a defining moment how fast our city grows, and how its culture is defined.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 8:46 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post
Don't think Ottawa will get to the point of Hong Kong or New York for 200 years lol. BUT, we can definitely get to 2000s Vancouver levels with Gatineau in about 18-20 years though. So...not bad?

They are projecting our metro area to be a bit over 2million in about 2040 (NCR combined). Can't wait to see what our city grows into in that timeframe, because this is a defining moment how fast our city grows, and how its culture is defined.
2010 'I believe' Vancouver levels is pretty good.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 10:40 PM
Busy Beaver

Instead of betting on a building that will likely take years to get built, I wish they had spent money on a ped/bike bridge across to Hintonburg. This would have instantly improved access to the station from the neighbourhood and provide a much needed future connection.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Instead of betting on a building that will likely take years to get built, I wish they had spent money on a ped/bike bridge across to Hintonburg. This would have instantly improved access to the station from the neighbourhood and provide a much needed future connection.
Personally as a cyclist I would prefer a underpass under the track over a bridge above. A underpass would likely be cheaper and wouldn't require as much space.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 11:42 PM

It would be weird spending millions to build a MUP bridge overtop what will inevitably be one of the most important and largest projects in the city, even if it doesn't end up being Trinity Station, all just to save 90 seconds compared to riding the Trillium Pathway to the Albert St. Bike Path.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 2:20 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
It would be weird spending millions to build a MUP bridge overtop what will inevitably be one of the most important and largest projects in the city, even if it doesn't end up being Trinity Station, all just to save 90 seconds compared to riding the Trillium Pathway to the Albert St. Bike Path.
??? The current plan already has provisions for such a bridge to be built with a pathway indicated along the southern border of the site. It's just neither the city nor the developer has talked about one, probably because nobody is willing to fund it. Note: they can't build anything on that part anyway because that's where the relocated sewer line is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Personally as a cyclist I would prefer a underpass under the track over a bridge above. A underpass would likely be cheaper and wouldn't require as much space.
The track is already lower than the trillium MUP or the Hintonburg Place side, and with the track already being built a bridge would be the most practical approach.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 2:28 AM

A 'possible' bike connection from the Trillium Pathway to the Trinity Station bike garage. I'm not seeing a MUP connection here.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 2:37 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
A 'possible' bike connection from the Trillium Pathway to the Trinity Station bike garage. I'm not seeing a MUP connection here.
Huh? You can't see "PEDESTRIAN WALKWAY" clearly written on the plan (which I circled) running from the Trillium MUP all the way to the corner of City Centre Dr and Albert? Also read the bottommost text. Anyway a bridge here would actually make any grocery store at Trinity more accessible to Hintonburg which is a bit of a food desert when it comes to basic groceries.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 11:05 AM

I see a pedestrian/bike bridge leading to a bike storage area, then a long pedestrian WALKWAY, not a Multiuse Pathway.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 11:54 AM

Looking at it closer, I see how it would be great to connect Hintonburg Place to the Trillium MUP over this ped/bike bridge. I think I understand what you are trying to say now. I originally thought you were emphasizing the potential of a MUP the whole way through the site, based on this map you posted. That connection is not on the plan, however.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I see a pedestrian/bike bridge leading to a bike storage area, then a long pedestrian WALKWAY, not a Multiuse Pathway.
You're probably right. The bikes are supposed to use the Maze-Runner-esque Shoppers/LCBO/Farm Boy loading docks to get thru there.

Just don't slip on the Moxie's/A&W/Jack Astors grease trap leaks.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 2:14 AM

That would be a great connection, restoring the historical grid. Could be an opportunity to do something with the underutilized land around City Centre.

Interesting thing about the site plan posted by Kitchissippi is the Trillium bypass line. Would that be for freight? Or a Gatineau Line (which would require another new platform at Bayview lower).

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Interesting thing about the site plan posted by Kitchissippi is the Trillium bypass line. Would that be for freight? Or a Gatineau Line (which would require another new platform at Bayview lower).

Its a freight bypass as I believe, the tracks should actually be buried under the station entrance, you can just barely see the overgrown track approaches on both sides on google maps.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Its a freight bypass as I believe, the tracks should actually be buried under the station entrance, you can just barely see the overgrown track approaches on both sides on google maps.
It is not a freight bypass or future rail link to Gatineau, the CPR rail bridge over Ottawa River is being converted to a walking and bicycle path across river to Gatineau.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 3:32 PM

So, one would hope (or assume) that the City is in talks with the developer to ensure project is still going ahead right? Otherwise why would we spend time, money & resources building this bridge to nothing

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
So, one would hope (or assume) that the City is in talks with the developer to ensure project is still going ahead right? Otherwise why would we spend time, money & resources building this bridge to nothing
I could be wrong but I think the bridge is paid by the developer under "community Benefits"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa