HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
I also have my suspicions based on news and local discussions that the Tektronix campus will likely develop into a mixed use neighborhood in the next 10 years, at least on a portion of the property.
That would be great. I thought I remembered that Analog devices bought the whole campus, but evidently just a small portion of it.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Nearly vacant? The place is stuffed to the gills and it’s a nightmare getting in and out of there now, both sides of Jenkins, and they’re not even done building. I just wish the MAX ran closer to it.
The INSIDE of the mall is nearly vacant. Not the outside.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 5:43 PM
A before E

A random fact, Murray to 217 is almost 2 miles, and Jenkins to SW 5th is about 1 mile. That is roughly the same size as the 405 loop in downtown.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 6:22 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
A random fact, Murray to 217 is almost 2 miles, and Jenkins to SW 5th is about 1 mile. That is roughly the same size as the 405 loop in downtown.
Fun fact: I just looked at the population numbers for both areas, and although the census tracts don't all align perfectly, there appears to be more people who live in the area bound by 217, Murray, US-26 and Farmington than live inside the downtown I-5/I-405 loop. The fact that they're even close should be enough to give anyone pause.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 7:52 PM
A before E

Quote:
Fun fact: I just looked at the population numbers for both areas, and although the census tracts don't all align perfectly, there appears to be more people who live in the area bound by 217, Murray, US-26 and Farmington than live inside the downtown I-5/I-405 loop. The fact that they're even close should be enough to give anyone pause.
That is thanks to the American model where we only built offices and hotels in downtowns rather than housing. Hopefully we will see that shift and get more Pearl and South Waterfront type buildings in the central part of downtown.

Also hopefully we see a densification of Central Beaverton continue until we do have a second downtown on the Westside.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 4:13 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
In-N-Out Burger continues attempts to open Beaverton-area location

Jashayla Pettigrew PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — In-N-Out Burger is still taking steps to open a location in the Portland metro area.

The California-based chain’s application to build a drive-thru at 10565 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy — in unincorporated Washington County — was denied by an independent hearings officer in 2022, due to a land use issue.

County officials previously explained the proposed location is split between a Commercial Business District and an Office Commercial district. While CBDs allow drive-thru restaurants, OCs rarely do so. A county spokesperson said the proposed location’s on-site parking and internal driving aisles would interfere with the OC space.

To challenge their denied application, In-N-Out representatives filed a motion to appeal the decision with the Oregon Land Use Board of Appeals in May 2023.

The board remanded the motion to appeal later in October, giving the burger chain another opportunity to discuss its potential Beaverton-area location.

At a public hearing held on Tuesday morning, Washington County Principal Planner Stephen Shane explained LUBA’s main issues with the proposed site: temporary permitting requirements and non-conforming use of land in the OC district.
More: https://www-koin-com.cdn.ampproject....ew=1&cap=swipe

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 4:46 PM

Really wish they wouldn't... But if they do, Wash Co should at least turn BH Hwy and 170th into a protected left turn from all ways.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 6:02 PM

Quote:
I wish we could get an update on the Tanasbourne location. That site is ready for development now.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 7:20 PM
Registered Ugly

I took a photo of the Tanasborne site this past weekend after I got done at Target. I may be wrong, but I assumed that site was dead. As you can see, the New Seasons being constructed appears to be oriented toward the interior of the shopping center, with smaller retail suites facing Evergreen and a “for lease” sign on the fence.

I don’t see how a fast food establishment with the type of volume In-n-Out has could occupy the area left on that site. However, it looks like the permit through Hillsboro was for a private utility permit, which could mean they were really looking to a different location within the same shopping center, I don’t know. Either way, looking at the aerial, I’m having trouble visualizing how that vicinity could accommodate both a New Seasons and an In-n-Out without big access management conflicts.

I’d rather they explored purchasing a business on Town Center Drive. That would certainly alleviate some of the traffic concerns for that area if it were, say, where that crappy Burger King is located combined with the gas station/car wash.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
I wish we could get an update on the Tanasbourne location. That site is ready for development now.
I'm curious about Jollibee..The land has been cleared but zero work so far.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 10:16 PM

Quote:
I took a photo of the Tanasborne site this past weekend after I got done at Target. I may be wrong, but I assumed that site was dead. As you can see, the New Seasons being constructed appears to be oriented toward the interior of the shopping center, with smaller retail suites facing Evergreen and a “for lease” sign on the fence.

I don’t see how a fast food establishment with the type of volume In-n-Out has could occupy the area left on that site. However, it looks like the permit through Hillsboro was for a private utility permit, which could mean they were really looking to a different location within the same shopping center, I don’t know. Either way, looking at the aerial, I’m having trouble visualizing how that vicinity could accommodate both a New Seasons and an In-n-Out without big access management conflicts.

I’d rather they explored purchasing a business on Town Center Drive. That would certainly alleviate some of the traffic concerns for that area if it were, say, where that crappy Burger King is located combined with the gas station/car wash.

This is the site plan they submitted for Land Use review in 2021. It's pretty accurate with the retail build-out.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
I'm curious about Jollibee..The land has been cleared but zero work so far.
I believe when they first announced the Jollibee, they weren't planning to get started on it until this year sometime. It does seem to be taking forever though!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I believe when they first announced the Jollibee, they weren't planning to get started on it until this year sometime. It does seem to be taking forever though!
It had a 2024 opening date listed. To get it done in 2024, they would need to start construction within the next 60 days or so.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 6:52 AM

Walked from my new apartment to the Beaverton Library today along Cedar Hills Blvd, past the remodeling for the REI and the continuing development in Cedar Hills Crossing, and...man, it's already practically grid-locked. This wasn't even during rush hour. Yes, there's construction which has closed down the right-turn lane onto Walker Rd, but, how is this supposed to work once there's even more traffic from the REI, the medical building across from across from the Legacy urgent care is done (I can't see how an ambulance is supposed to get through traffic in this area)? The 20 bus can count on multi-minute delays along this road, near the start of its route, every time....

It's not the only road in this area that's like this (Farmington Rd will be an even worse problem than it is now once the new high school is done), but it's just staggering to see how badly planned transportation is in this area. Not even actual protected bike lanes or off-street pathways in this area to give people a viable alternative...how do they expect this to work?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
It had a 2024 opening date listed. To get it done in 2024, they would need to start construction within the next 60 days or so.
I spoke with the City of Hillsboro regarding both Jollibee and Tanasbourne In N Out and here is what they said:

Re: Tanasbourne In N Out - "In N Out received development approval, and construction permits are currently in review. We don't have an estimated timeline as to when that project might move forward."

Re: Any other In N Out locations proposed - "No, there have not been."

Re: Jollibee - "Many of the permits necessary for starting construction are either finalized, pending order of issuance, or are in review. As the City does not track constructions schedules, we cannot provide an estimated time when Jollibee would receive a certificate of occupancy which would be needed to open."

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 10:07 PM
Registered Ugly

Hey, thanks for looking into that. Will be interesting to see if this still moves forward. As for Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway location, that wouldn't be Hillsboro but either the County or City of Beaverton. It is unfortunate though that both of the locations they chose are so fraught with access issues.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Hey, thanks for looking into that. Will be interesting to see if this still moves forward. As for Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway location, that wouldn't be Hillsboro but either the County or City of Beaverton. It is unfortunate though that both of the locations they chose are so fraught with access issues.
I think the Tanasbourne location actually presents a good opportunity for managing the traffic impact due to it's size and internal roads. They could limit In N Out access away from the problem areas of 185th and Evergreen as well as Evergreen and Town Center Dr and force In N Out customers to enter from Cornell.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 3:08 AM
Registered Ugly

Intimately familiar with the area. Stand by my statement that this will be a very difficult location despite your hypothetical flow.

There is no left turn from Evergreen Westbound onto Town Center Drive. For people traveling from Evergreen Eastbound and turning right (south), there is no way Washington County is going to allow a left turn into that site from southbound Town Center Drive. So people will be forced to enter from Evergreen, and join the drive through line opposing the dedicated flow. Exiting the site also poses issues with queuing. Where do they go? There will be a forced right only onto Town Center, unlike what you’ve illustrated. Right out will also be very short and pose issues. Evergreen will be a right only as well.

Also, the entrance to Town Center drive from mid block is very dangerous. The inbound traffic does not have a stop, to keep the flow of traffic going into the site. People from the other directions all have stops, but it’s not intuitive to the average driver because it looks like a 4 way stop, so there are near miss collisions all day long.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Intimately familiar with the area. Stand by my statement that this will be a very difficult location despite your hypothetical flow.

There is no left turn from Evergreen Westbound onto Town Center Drive. For people traveling from Evergreen Eastbound and turning right (south), there is no way Washington County is going to allow a left turn into that site from southbound Town Center Drive. So people will be forced to enter from Evergreen, and join the drive through line opposing the dedicated flow. Exiting the site also poses issues with queuing. Where do they go? There will be a forced right only onto Town Center, unlike what you’ve illustrated. Right out will also be very short and pose issues. Evergreen will be a right only as well.

Also, the entrance to Town Center drive from mid block is very dangerous. The inbound traffic does not have a stop, to keep the flow of traffic going into the site. People from the other directions all have stops, but it’s not intuitive to the average driver because it looks like a 4 way stop, so there are near miss collisions all day long.
Did you ever go to the Keizer In N Out during the first few months it was open? They had people out in the streets and cones directing traffic and having the drive through line start at Volcanos Stadium. What I drew up in 2 minutes obviously is hypothetical, but comes from the point of view that it could be done similar to that for the time being, until the initial wave calms down.

They also made traffic alterations when Chick Fil A at Tanasbourne opened, routing traffic through part of Target's parking lot and back around by Umpqua Bank. This is how they handle these things...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 10:56 AM

I'm gonna beat the traffic-circle drum again: how is the intersection of Evergreen and Town Center not a traffic circle? I used to come north on 185th to turn left onto Evergreen for work (have since moved), and the number of times that traffic was backed up either a) by people coming straight from Evergreen), or b) from left turns by southbound traffic on 185th, blocking all the northbound traffic on 185th, was staggering.

What did the planners of this development have against traffic flow? The distance from the light on 185th to Town Center is just over 200ft, easily blocked by less than 10 cars, at which point you're holding up up to 4 lanes of traffic on 185th. It's very foreseeable that someone, stuck in on of the right lanes on 185th, might gun it to get past traffic in left-hand lanes and continue north, and slam into someone still waiting to get through the light at Town Center Drive.

Did they get the light phasing wrong? Or was it just a design dumb decision, I admit possibly forced by intersection regulations, that people thought would work out fine?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon