HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 4:33 PM

It’s ironic that Brookhyrst announced with such fanfare and media attention but currently looks moribund or dormant, while 4th and Green has gotten virtually no media attention yet is on its way toward substantial completion. Byrum also looks like it’s determined to get under construction with all deliberate speed.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 1:13 AM

Salem Bottleworks construction underway

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cxqec...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 2:37 AM
Fourth and Main

This is a great photograph, with the mountain rising above the fog:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Camel View Post
I love the many Winston-Salem and mountains photographs people are sharing right now.

I made a mistake, in a multi-tasking rush. I don't think the building was named for his dad, but it was someone he (the developer) is named after. I was guessing I would make a mistake in that post, since I was rushing to post it, while also trying to have a conversation with the client I was preparing to meet. The Byrum likely means more to him (D. "Porter" Jones of DPJ Residential) of the two proposals, but that is just a guess. That proposal's name also has a connection to Wake Forest University, with "Porter" Byrum donating millions to the school.

Maybe worth a laugh: This is the city I was in a rush to go to yesterday, to meet a client... https://www.cityofcumming.net

Last edited by Matthew; Sep 27, 2023 at 2:53 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 4:57 AM
Fourth and Main

The former Mooney's space in the O'Hanlon Building will become a bar called The Hargro House Smoke & Reserve. Yes, they will use the mezzanine level.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 5:21 PM

Bizjournal article on 500,00 square foot Diablo distribution facility in Kernersville

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...expansion.html

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Innovation Quarter today announced the beginning of horizonal infrastructure work associated with its second phase of development. Facilitated through Innovation Quarter’s infrastructure development partner Wexford Science & Technology through general contractor The Whiting-Turner Contracting Company and civil engineering and landscape architecture contractor Stimmel Associates, the work includes laying of fiber and electrical conduit, site grading, installation of lighting and trees, streetscaping and an almost half-mile extension of the Long Branch Trail.

The 28-acre site for Innovation Quarter Phase II sits on either side of Research Parkway, the majority of which is south of Third Street and north of Salem Parkway. Upon completion, it is anticipated that the development will allow for an additional 1 million additional square feet of clinical, lab and office space… Infrastructure improvements will include:

2,270 linear feet of Long Branch Trail greenway expansion
140 new trees planted
131 new street lights
46,830 feet of new electrical and fiber conduit
10,000 dump truck loads of dirt relocated for site grading.

https://www.innovationquarter.com/pr...f-development/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 4:47 AM

Exciting - one wonders if it’s general preparation or something big is in the works.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 9:24 PM
Fourth and Main

Not a Neurology Research Center?
I know a number of people working at AHWFB are saying "off-the-record" this building is a neurology research center...

I saw a few people who work for AHWFB on social media also saying that, when the Eye Institute announcement was made.

BUT... I've seen evidence this is actually a new all-in-one headquarters of WFIRM. An expanded regenerative medicine research facility, with the ability to work with more outside companies and the land for any outside companies wanting to work with WFIRM in their own buildings. They are already out-of-space in their current building and have been out-of-space there for a while. Their ReGenMed facilities that work with other companies are out-of-space or almost out-of-space and in need of expansion.

I know many of us, including me, often look at this stuff and dismiss it. I've called for taking this site and redeveloping it with an amphitheatre, mini-golf, and retail/restaurants. However, every booming city has that one thing that launched them. You can look back at their history and see it. Regenerative Medicine is really just starting to "take-off" and could be that one thing that creates a massive boom for Winston-Salem, again. I'll present something soon that shows that building is much further along than you think. There is a reason I posted that view of it and you will see, very soon. It will likely be announced next year.

A Neurology Research Center does appear to be happening, but I have my doubts it is planned for that building. Keep in mind that I could be wrong and there are people close to the project saying it's a Neurology Research Center. However, I think ("guessing") it's actually a new WFIM Regenerative Medicine Headquarters.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Not a Neurology Research Center?
I know a number of people working at AHWFB are saying "off-the-record" this building is a neurology research center...

I saw a few people who work for AHWFB on social media also saying that, when the Eye Institute announcement was made.

BUT... I've seen evidence this is actually a new all-in-one headquarters of WFIRM. An expanded regenerative medicine research facility, with the ability to work with more outside companies and the land for any outside companies wanting to work with WFIRM in their own buildings. They are already out-of-space in their current building and have been out-of-space there for a while. Their ReGenMed facilities that work with other companies are out-of-space or almost out-of-space and in need of expansion.

I know many of us, including me, often look at this stuff and dismiss it. I've called for taking this site and redeveloping it with an amphitheatre, mini-golf, and retail/restaurants. However, every booming city has that one thing that launched them. You can look back at their history and see it. Regenerative Medicine is really just starting to "take-off" and could be that one thing that creates a massive boom for Winston-Salem, again. I'll present something soon that shows that building is much further along than you think. There is a reason I posted that view of it and you will see, very soon. It will likely be announced next year.

A Neurology Research Center does appear to be happening, but I have my doubts it is planned for that building. Keep in mind that I could be wrong and there are people close to the project saying it's a Neurology Research Center. However, I think ("guessing") it's actually a new WFIM Regenerative Medicine Headquarters.
The reported plans sound great, but I am not holding my breath. The delay in actually announcing and construction means it’s not worth getting excited over. Yet.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 12:37 AM

Kaleideum Update as February 2024 opening approaches

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxvWF...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 12:05 PM

Winston-Salem/W-S Universities awarded $123MM in state budget for three large projects: $51MM for phase II of the Stevens Center, $35MM for infrastructure relating to Wake Forest's entertainment district near University Pkwy., and $37MM to double Williams Auditorium at WSSU.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...et-awards.html

Last edited by WSBornNBred; Sep 30, 2023 at 12:45 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSBornNBred View Post
Winston-Salem/W-S Universities awarded $123MM in state budget for three large projects: $51MM for phase II of the Stevens Center, $35MM for infrastructure relating to Wake Forest's entertainment district near University Pkwy., and $37MM to double Williams Auditorium at WSSU.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...et-awards.html
Great news! I am
Starting to get hopeful about the WFU Entertainment District. I am also excited about expanding WSSU’s Williams Auditorium!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 3:14 PM

EXTRAORDINARY! Very exciting!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 8:09 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. If you can, please support any local businesses sharing photographs and thank them.

This update is packed with renderings! And we all love renderings. Our construction list also says goodbye to a project we've talked about for a long time, but that means you have a great new restaurant to try.

Video Link

Truliant Tower:
They are dealing with weather delays, but this project should be completed this week?

Credit: Dale Briggs

The support structure for the sunburst:

A nice view of the mountains from up there:

Support structure installation:

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Credit: linkaptsiq

WFIRM Headquarters:
Is this a look inside the newest building planned for downtown's Innovation Quarter? I guess we shall see!

Credit: Perkins + Will

I'm guessing this isn't a neurology research center. Again, I know some AHWFB employees are saying it is, but I think it's actually WFIRM's new headquarters. Since this is in conflict with information from what are seen as "good sources," I'll give my reasons and let you decide: They (WFIRM) are out-of-room at the current building, out-of-room or nearly out-of-room for new companies at RegenMed, the world's largest regenerative medicine employer is currently operating in a Post Modern building that would be around twenty years old when a new building would open (this would give them a current and modern building), a lot changes in two decades in fields like this and a new building can meet their current needs, WFIRM is most likely to drive demand for new buildings in the second phase, their current building is in an awful location and this new building would be right at many nice amenities... and have nice amenities in it to attract talent, this new building would impress visitors and outside companies, and then there is that rendering with ReGenMed on the atrium wall. If you look closely, you'll see the windows in the back are a perfect match for the windows on the other side of the main entrance (on the back side rendering of what is expected to be the first new building in phase two). Now you know why I posted that rendering of the back side of the building. Those are my reasons for thinking this is WFIRM's new headquarters. With detailed renderings of the outside and inside, this building (at least in my opinion) is clearly further along in the design phase than many may think. I'm thinking ("guessing") it will be announced next year?

Eight West Third Apartments:

Covering the words "Wachovia Bank & Trust" on the building?

Credit: DWSP

Salem Bottling Works:
Confirmation of what I posted on August 20, 2023: They are waiting on historic designations and tax credits to start. They will start work on the roof and other projects when they complete the submission of their tax credit applications. It will likely become a 30,000 square-foot food hall with a few retail spaces and a second floor event space or cocktail bar. The courtyard will become outdoor dining space and the building will likely have a rooftop dining space, too, with skyline views. Completion is dependent on how soon they gain State and Federal tax credits, but it could be 2024 at the earliest and 2025 at the latest.

Yet another event space in planning?

Credit: salembottleworks

An event space called "The Crest" just opened over the weekend and we have two potential event spaces in planning this week. We discussed an event space last week, too. This is one of those things people daydream of opening, along with a neighborhood bar (like those on their favorite TV shows), burgers & brews, and of course gift shops.

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:

Credit: DWSP

Two Cities:
We haven't seen an update on this project in a long time. Workers installed the canopy.

Credit: viatordesignandconstruction

Nationwide Marketing Headquarters: Built!
This office space and retail project is now officially completed. Cibo on Liberty Street, the last tenant to move-in, had their soft opening on Friday. This was an amazing transformation! The brick building was collapsing, with floors falling-in and cracks on the facade. Workers rebuilt the parapet, reconstructed the collapsed interior sections, repaired the holes in the roof, and brought it back into use. The neighboring building was covered in metal panels and fencing before they restored it as part of this project. For those who want to know: The downtown building was impacted by the tornado outbreak of May 5, 1989 and it appears as if it was allowed to rot for decades. Thankfully, someone did save as much of the stonework from the old parapet as possible. This allowed for the restoration you see today. Thank you to Cleveland's GBX Group for saving this building!

Credit: Carroll H. Leggett

This space was originally a grocery store, when the building opened in 1925:

Credit: Fam Brownlee

New Tenants/Leases:
529 North Trade Street, in downtown's Arts District, will become a steakhouse.

Big Winston Stockhouse in downtown Winston-Salem's Arts District:
Video Link

The market part of Big Winston Stockhouse is reported to be for the neighboring Artreaux Apartments, which has started leasing. It provides a few grocery and easy heat-and-eat meal items. When the apartment building is fully completed, they will add more grocery items.

624 North Trade:
Workers are strengthening and rebuilding the floor... and painting-over the building's mural in the downtown Arts District, which usually angers the artists.

Credit: wsncmuralproject

John Deere Electric Powertrain North American Headquarters:

Ground breaking:

Credit: greaterwinstonsaleminc

Bailey Power Plant Tenants:
Washington D.C.,-based tech company, InfoPathways, will open an office in Bailey Power Plant on October 20, 2023.

Körner’s Folly Visitor Center:

Not the best image, but better than nothing...

Credit: Körner’s Folly

Deacon Boulevard Redevelopment Site:
This project received $35 million from the State Budget. They are calling this "Midtown" in the State Budget?

NASCAR All-Star Race:
North Wilkesboro Speedway will host the 2024 NASCAR All-Star Race for the second year in a row, which unlocks additional funding for improvements at the track. Did you know: The track will be repaved for the 2024 All-Star Race... for the first time since 1981! Wow! That was before I was born!

Video Link

Fogle Commons / IQ Infrastructure:
We finally have renderings, showing the cast-in-place retaining walls and steps to the plaza. The entrance to Fogle Commons will have a food truck courtyard and sitting areas, as seen in the renderings. We also know the project will add 140 trees, 131 new light standards, and should be completed by November 2024.

Credit: thegotowinstonsalem

Credit: thegotowinstonsalem

The other side...

Credit: WFIQ

Coliseum Park Event Center:
Are you ready for yet another event center? We just discussed a new event center last week, an event center opened over the weekend, and we have two spaces being considered for event centers in this week's update! There must be a lot of demand or a post-pandemic bubble about to burst? This is just being explored at this time and nothing is official. If they follow-through with it, an event space "could" open on the ground floor of Coliseum Park Plaza's 710 Building. Again, this is not a done deal, but is being explored. It's not as big as the event space in last week's update. This event space, if it happens, would be 7,759 square-feet.

Artreaux Apartments:

Credit: theartreaux

Credit: theartreaux

Off-Subject:

Did you know: Winston-Salem has one of the largest fairs in the southeast...
Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Random Photographs:

Credit: focalvibes

Credit: focalvibes

Your City

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 6:09 PM

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 4:34 AM
Fourth and Main

Thank you Native Camel for the update on the Truliant Tower signage. It has a substantial support structure for the sunburst. It should be interesting to see how visible it (sunburst support structure) is during the day.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
A combined 310 acres in Forsyth County have been bought for $10.95 million by a High Point residential real-estate developer with plans for a more than 500-home subdivision in the Tanglewood Park area near Clemmons.

Forsyth County Register of Deeds filings Friday listed the sale of four tracts in the Idols Road and Foxpark Drive areas to RSPD Riverwalk LLC, an affiliate of R.S. Parker Development of High Point.
https://journalnow.com/search/?sd=de...ion&q=Clemmons

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMetroRaleigh View Post
Found a site plan in a Clemmons Courier article from a year ago. I assume it's the same development--same developer and approximate location.

https://www.clemmonscourier.net/2022...ises-concerns/

I get that people have to live somewhere, and I try not to be a NIMBY-- heck, I don't live in Clemmons/Advance/Lewisville, so that ISN'T my backyard-- but I'd sure as heck rather look at trees and meadow/farmland than another tract development. But it's private land, the park's still a wonderful resource, and nobody asked me.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 3:29 PM

Where is the river in Riverwalk?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 6:29 PM

You can see the Yadkin River abutting the property at the Winston-Salem Journal story's flyover video.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations