HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 9:59 PM

Wow that's awesome news, been a fan of the Currie Barracks redevelopment ever since I heard about it 5-6 years ago .. Awesome to hear they're going to increase the density by that much - must mean we'll see bigger developments in the pipeline

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post
Wow that's awesome news, been a fan of the Currie Barracks redevelopment ever since I heard about it 5-6 years ago .. Awesome to hear they're going to increase the density by that much - must mean we'll see bigger developments in the pipeline
Much bigger. Think towers in the range of 25 storeys in some locations.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Yeah, buildings drag things down, but there are some old units with concrete between the units such as Rocky Mountain Court. The state of unrenovated units are shameful compared to my old Boardwalk rental however. The long hallways also really show the construction deficiencies of trying to level floors before laser levels (while keeping them affordable).

Old buildings too a lot can't accommodate laundry except for european ventless types.
what can you tell me about Rocky Mountain Court. Was looking at buying a unit in there due to location but I know it had some issues with the parkade and other stuff a few years ago that seem to be fixed now.. Concrete walls sounds great to me in. I assume it was very quiet?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 4:15 PM

Rocky Mountain Court is an interesting building. If I was working downtown instead of the university I may have bit the bullet and renovated a unit there. The units are a good size, but not the most useful shape (just a box!). Means you have a fair amount of storage or a non-bedroom flexroom.

There is a squash court and a tiny gym.

It could use a recapitalization, but there is a formal rental pool in the building. It would be great to live in for a couple years, then move out and have a bit easier time renting it. I doubt there will be much investment beyond what the reserve study says.

Have to remember that even very nice buildings have awful hallways, if your comparison is to hotels.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 5:11 PM
Editor

I remember wiring my boss's place (a single family home) for CAT5 around 2003ish. At that time it was not standard at all for houses, so I'm guessing the same for condos.

I agree about the wireless congestion. Yes, wireless is very handy, and new wireless AC can/will provide good bandwidth, but I would always take wired over wireless any day for varying reasons. Wireless should only be used if wired isn't available.

On a side note there are ways to retrofit ethernet cabling without getting expensive. I wouldn't make it a deal breaker if they found a place they really liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
Here is a question, roughly when did ethernet wiring become fairly standard in condo construction?

Some friends of mine have been renting in a Y2K vintage building without it, they consider the fact their landlord recently tried to sell them their unit a sign that their lease probably isn't going to be renewed and they consider a unit not having it a deal breaker because the last two places they have lived both had severe wifi congestion.

And yes, they tried a 5Ghz router.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 5:13 PM
Editor

Interesting tweet on the difference in condo pricing between Calgary and Edmonton

Quote:
Ian Meredith @ian_meredith
#Edmonton's newest high-rise condo launch is a clear $150 per SQFT (or 25%) less than #Calgary's newest (Fox II vs Guardian II, on average)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Rocky Mountain Court is an interesting building. If I was working downtown instead of the university I may have bit the bullet and renovated a unit there. The units are a good size, but not the most useful shape (just a box!). Means you have a fair amount of storage or a non-bedroom flexroom.

There is a squash court and a tiny gym.

It could use a recapitalization, but there is a formal rental pool in the building. It would be great to live in for a couple years, then move out and have a bit easier time renting it. I doubt there will be much investment beyond what the reserve study says.

Have to remember that even very nice buildings have awful hallways, if your comparison is to hotels.
how was the noise level in there, and would you recommend buying unit in there if you plan on living in it? For me location trumps most other factors. But I still want a reliable building

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 7:11 PM

You'd have to see - no obvious noise but it was a weekend afternoon, and the unit was second from the end of the floor. With hard surfaced floor you always have the risk of an upstairs neighbor that likes wearing heeled shoes in their house.

Lower floors smelled of cooking, a hazard in any multi family. The unit I looked at was on the 28th floor, and the view was pretty nice. Down low you can get much cheaper though (there is a 700+ square foot unit listed for $210k!)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 7:51 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I remember wiring my boss's place (a single family home) for CAT5 around 2003ish. At that time it was not standard at all for houses, so I'm guessing the same for condos.

I agree about the wireless congestion. Yes, wireless is very handy, and new wireless AC can/will provide good bandwidth, but I would always take wired over wireless any day for varying reasons. Wireless should only be used if wired isn't available.

On a side note there are ways to retrofit ethernet cabling without getting expensive. I wouldn't make it a deal breaker if they found a place they really liked.
They're planning on renting for the foreseeable future. So I'm not sure that retrofitting in an option. They're finance types with some unpopular opinions on the health of the Canadian condo market.

I'm just surprised because come 1996 you could get broadband just about anywhere in Calgary. It seems like it would have become a basic expectation in all new housing a lot sooner.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 4:02 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
They're planning on renting for the foreseeable future. So I'm not sure that retrofitting in an option. They're finance types with some unpopular opinions on the health of the Canadian condo market.

I'm just surprised because come 1996 you could get broadband just about anywhere in Calgary. It seems like it would have become a basic expectation in all new housing a lot sooner.
It's surprising that ethernet cabling hasn't been installed more than it has. It could be done so easily while the house is being built. When people are building a new place they check off a million different things, ethernet cabling could simply be one of them. It could be done cheaply and easily when the house is being built. Maybe they offer that and most people are ambivalent.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 4:40 AM
BANNED

Interesting article on Kensington, but redevelopment of the Lido, Carpenter, and Medici, former blockbuster lots are a must. After that it's a case by case basis:

Quote:
Let history still stand

By Ricky Leong ,Calgary Sun

The plaques are so discreet, I almost didn’t see them.

Adorning the outside walls of several buildings in the Kensington business district, they tell part of this neighbourhood high street’s story.

These tips of the hat to our history are appreciated — and as the character of the neighbourhood changes apace, they will be essential for tomorrow’s Calgary to understand how the area got its start.

It’s quite likely the entire street-scape around there will be altered within the next decade or two. In fact, it’s already begun in earnest.

A couple of new condo towers have sprouted over the last few years near the Sunnyside C-Train station, with more on the way.

A new condo block is springing up just a few steps west of the Legion hall.

Redevelopment of the Lido restaurant site is fast approaching.

Meanwhile, a fence recently went up around a swath of homes on 5 Ave. N.W., adjacent to Riley Park, signalling the imminent construction of a new residential complex.

There’s an application to develop a row of relatively dense housing along Memorial Dr., opposite the Calgary Soldiers’ Memorial.

City council was to hold hearings Monday on new developments on the west side of 10 St. N.W., north of Kensington Rd.

As overwhelming as this sounds, this is likely to be just the tip of the iceberg.

The redevelopment plan for the area allows for much taller, higher-density structures all around the Sunnyside LRT station from the bluff to the river, plus both sides of Kensington Rd., 14 St. and the north side of 5 Ave. along Riley Park.

There’s a lot to be positive about, notably new housing of all types, all within walking distance of transit and downtown, plus new retail/business opportunities at street level.

Unfortunately, it will come at the potential cost of losing buildings that link us with our city’s history.

It is true not every old building is a treasure worthy of protection or integration into new developments.

But so many of the structures in Hillhurst-Sunnyside are within zones of potential redevelopment and date back to the origins of the neighbourhood.

It would be a huge shame if we didn’t properly evaluate the historical significance of buildings at risk of being razed.

Besides, once the bulldozers and wrecking balls get to them, it will truly be too late.

Keep in mind, with the push to densify, what’s left of this city’s older neighbourhoods will be faced with this conundrum.

This wouldn’t be such a concern, if Calgary hadn’t already made mistakes in the past.

Our successive waves of frenzied boom-time construction have taken out huge chunks of our architectural heritage.

That quaint stretch of 8 Ave. we know as the Stephen Avenue Mall — lined with well-preserved sandstone buildings dating to the beginning of the last century — doesn’t exist because of enlightened foresight.

By all accounts, it is the byproduct of successive economic slowdowns that continually stalled redevelopment.

I’d like to think that little stretch of Old Calgary enriches the city … and it astounds me we only have the dumb “luck” of economic misfortune to thank for it.

Clearly, there is a huge interest in bringing new homes and businesses to the area surrounding the Sunnyside C-Train station. It’s about location, location, location, after all.

But I sincerely hope residents, developers and the city make a concerted effort to leave behind some traces of the Kensington high street we know and love.

Commemorative plaques are nice but historical preservation is better.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/04/15...ry-still-stand

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 4:43 AM
BANNED

Ven, yes it spans the whole block:

https://www.facebook.com/BucciLiving...type=1&theater

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Interesting article on Kensington, but redevelopment of the Lido, Carpenter, and Medici, former blockbuster lots are a must. After that it's a case by case basis:
Don't forget about the "Tandoori Hut" Redevelopment @ 205-225 10 Street. Basically just south of the Bucci project. It will probably be something very similar.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urbanist View Post
Don't forget about the "Tandoori Hut" Redevelopment @ 205-225 10 Street. Basically just south of the Bucci project. It will probably be something very similar.
Haven't heard of this one, are there renders?

Pic of Ten Mount Royal.
https://www.facebook.com/TenAtMountR...type=3&theater

New low-rise and mid-rise res within close walking proximity to the main strips in Kensington, Mission, Bridgeland, Inglewood, Lower-Mount Royal, Marda Loop etc. are becoming very popular. From a quick search looks like a lot of the new batch about to start soon based on solid sales.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:04 PM

Damn.. We really need a map of Kensington outlining where all these new developments are going to be

Any idea when Lido is going to break ground?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Haven't heard of this one, are there renders?
The parcels of land have only been rezoned (went to Council this past monday). There is no development permit yet. The only DP for the west side of 10th Street so far is the Bucci project.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 8:22 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/04/15...ry-still-stand
They key is to have the tools to retain the key historic/character sites in Kensington, while being lenient with the redevelopment of the rest.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
They key is to have the tools to retain the key historic/character sites in Kensington, while being lenient with the redevelopment of the rest.
I don't know if it's just me, but I'm struggling to think of many historic buildings of merit in the area? The fact is Calgary only became a significant city relatively recently and the majority of the buildings around there are cheap single family homes, many of which are of wood construction and falling into disrepair.

By all means lets preserve the good examples in the area, but it's hardly Paris, there are more than enough forgettable buildings to redevelop.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 12:39 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I don't know if it's just me, but I'm struggling to think of many historic buildings of merit in the area? The fact is Calgary only became a significant city relatively recently and the majority of the buildings around there are cheap single family homes, many of which are of wood construction and falling into disrepair.

By all means lets preserve the good examples in the area, but it's hardly Paris, there are more than enough forgettable buildings to redevelop.
This is a tricky one, as that is usually intentional.

When it comes to old residential neighborhoods, I think there are a few challenges

1) There are often only a few non-single family housing structures which would qualify as "historic" individually, most structures that would are commercial, religious, etc.

2) The few individual single family homes which would quality tend to be those built by wealthier families, this resulting in more interesting architecture, but also larger houses and lots. These larger houses and lots tend to be the first to be demolished regardless of condition as more units can be built on the property

What then happens is the best and most historic homes are demolished, leaving those interested in preservation trying to preserve the lesser structures which are left. Usually almost none of these would quality for historic classification on their own. This leaves you with two remaining situations

3) first being clusters or strips of historic architecture which is representative of the era and founding of the community, where they are in decent shape and enough original condition where that cluster is historically relevant and

4) the rest of the housing from the same era which is in poor condition, has been badly modified, etc.

So the key here would be to expedite proper evaluation of 1) and 2) and put in place incentives which are effective in the kind of real estate market we have here in Calgary. Giving a home owner a $25k grant or some minor tax relief would likely convince a historic home owner in a area zoned for single family or perhaps semi attched, but probably not for someone who owns a historic home in the Beltline (See McHugh). Typically what is needed is density transfer so an owner can cash in the density they're not providing, by providing it somewhere else in the community, or selling it to someone who can apply it elsewhere in the community. That way the owner gets their payout which is essentially promised when an area is upzoned, and the desired density in the community that the upzoning aimed for is not lost.

When it comes to 3) that's a bit tricky, what typically is needed here are owners who think that being part of the "Sunnyside 7th Street Historic District" (just picking a street at random) complete with signage and fancy lights or whatever is something which would be of value, rather than looking at their home as a tear down investment only.

When it comes to 4), the issue tends to be more about 'character of the community" than any specific historic value. What I think is important here is as an area is upzoned, one should try to meet or exceed the architectural quality and perhaps be conscious of massing, rather than trying to put in strict rules to build the same style.

I have issues with restrictions to build the same style because it tends to lead to two situations a) kind oldey timey house that just look like cheap knockoffs b) high quality oldey timey houses which make people question why any historic buildings should be kept since we can create nice looking fake historic styled ones. When it comes to innercity communities with housing type 4) I'd like to see some high quality 'contemporary' replacement, for example high quality row housing or something that creates a new but equally comfortable and attractive character for the community, something that 100 years from now people might work to preserve.

God that was far longer than expected....and off topic

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 2:20 AM

Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful reply! One thing in the area's favour I think is that there is already quite a lot of dross built comparatively recently which could hopefully be replaced first.

You are right though that this is way off topic though so I'll leave it at that .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates